• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L Canceling Is Semi-Bad Game Design

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
There is no decision for it in the sense, "Why would I ever not powershield?" That is where my problem with the tech is, it's not like other techs which add choice and gameplay like wavedashing.

Automatic powershields for everyone, right?! Riiiiight...
You're comparing Apples and Oranges here, same thing as the Marth tipper analogy.

Yes you ideally always want this, but because of spacing/opponents direct interaction/timing has gameplay to it and isn't something you can force unless they do a super laggy move or it's something you can see clearly coming, Falco laser.

L-cancelling in turn really doesn't care about the situation outside of human error.

There is no strategic value to it, there is no real choice to it, it's there to make the game artificially harder mechanically with no real payoff or showing of why it's better than just cutting lag in half across the board.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
You're comparing Apples and Oranges here, same thing as the Marth tipper analogy.

Yes you ideally always want this, but because of spacing/opponents direct interaction/timing has gameplay to it and isn't something you can force unless they do a super laggy move or it's something you can see clearly coming, Falco laser.
Armada and Mango disagree.

http://www.gfycat.com/GrimWarpedHectorsdolphin#

Powershielding is definitely something you want to always do. You can't always do it properly because of your opponent, not because of the mechanic itself. Same thing with L-canceling.

It's easy to powershield Falco's laser consistently when you're on the opposite side of FD in trainingmode. Just as it's easy to L-cancel consistently in a controlled environement. The only factor that makes it difficult to do consistently in both cases is interaction with your opponent.

Quite sure I'm comparing apples to apples.

L-cancelling in turn really doesn't care about the situation outside of human error.
Yes it does.

There is no strategic value to it, there is no real choice to it, it's there to make the game artificially harder mechanically with no real payoff or showing of why it's better than just cutting lag in half across the board.
Again, there's no real strategic value to not powershielding, there's no choice to it, it's there to make the game artifically harder mechanically with no real payoff showing why it's better than just removing shield lag all across the board, right? No? Then your argument makes no sense.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
http://www.gfycat.com/GrimWarpedHectorsdolphin#

Is this something that can happen consistently or are you showing me a fringe case where both players happened to get it down? If they could, we'd be seeing them power shield a lot more consistently than what happened in this .gif.

Powershielding is definitely something you want to always do. You can't always do it properly because of your opponent, not because of the mechanic itself. Same thing with L-canceling.

It's easy to powershield Falco's laser consistently when you're on the opposite side of FD in trainingmode. Just as it's easy to L-cancel consistently in a controlled environement. The only factor that makes it difficult to do consistently in both cases is interaction with your opponent.

Quite sure I'm comparing apples to apples.
You can always force an L-cancel regardless of what your opponent does or what you are doing, L-cancelling only really is an issue with your opponent when you get hitlag wrong, you can clearly see where their shield is and if they have time to tilt it up, then you've been on their shield for a while and you can see what they are doing.

This isn't the same at all and neither like Marth's tipper. They require to see what both players are doing, they do interact with reads and spacing. L-cancelling doesn't do this, you don't care what they are doing and really makes no difference if you just cut aerial lag and half and did away with the technique.

Yes it does.
Outside of someone not knowing how Ice Climbers work with two shields and someone sitting in their shield long enough to tilt it up, how? There is a lot more interaction with trying to power shield and making a read/timing right with a power shield.

Again, there's no real strategic value to not powershielding, there's no choice to it, it's there to make the game artifically harder mechanically with no real payoff showing why it's better than just removing shield lag all across the board, right? No? Then your argument makes no sense.
There isn't, you are right that if you could you would aim for it consistently. Can't force it anywhere near as consistently as L-canceling is.

If you think this is the case, over devil's advocate, I could say you have a point. The issue is with L-cancelling, it directly affects all forms of aerials and gameplay. Powershielding isn't essential for all forms of play but rewards you for the right read. Tippers aren't essential for Marth to perform well but make his identity as a fencer and reward him for his good spacing.

L-Cancelling is always essential and really doesn't have a place over just removing it and making all aerials lag cut in half. If you removed Power shielding and Marth's tipper, if would have stronger and bigger changes.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand how L-cancelling is always essential? I used to do really well in Melee before I learned about l-cancelling. I wouldn't say it's essential, but it helps you move faster and follow up on combos. It seems like you guys are only complaining about this because it's something that's too hard for you to learn, in which case you should probably just play Brawl or something where you don't need to learn things like l-cancels and wavedashes. I've attempted to learn more advanced techniques in other fighting games like Street Fighter, and admittedly I found it pretty tough and lost interest, but that's okay. I still really enjoy the game even though I wasn't willing to pass the techskill barrier.
There are only a few techs that I find to be really challenging in Super Smash Brothers (like moonwalking or DACUS, but that's just me, and they aren't essential to being very good at the game or even just winning). Yeah, getting your l-cancels consistently is hard, and yes you're going to get punished for it sometimes if you miss. You're also going to get punished even if you do consistently L-cancel if you just mindless approach people with aerials.
I played a guy locally who basically knew none of the "advanced" tech like l-cancelling or wavedashing, and he was a very solid player and he beat me a few times even though I can l-cancel and wavedash quite consistently. This game comes down to mindgames and how you read your opponent, and apparently he was good at it because he beat me.
You DON'T NEED to learn techs to be good if you can read your opponents well. Techs help step up your game by increasing your speed, combo options, movement options, etc. If you are interested in getting better and stepping up your game, then learn them even if you have to lose because losing is part of the learning process. If you don't want to increase your options, that's fine, and I'm sure that you can probably adapt to that, but it will probably be more difficult. If you really think that something so simple as pressing L/R/Z before you hit the ground is so incredibly difficult and stupid then you should probably either stop playing Smash, learn to adapt, or quit ******** and keep practicing. You're going to find a skill barrier in almost any game you can think of. There are going to be drivers in racing games that drift so well and and are so fast , but they practice their ass off to get that good. Or that sniper in a shooting game that gets 5 headshots in a row and your screaming about how ****ing ridiculous that is and he surely has an aimbot, but really he 's been playing a long time and is just a very good shot.
When I started competitively and saw all the advanced techs I thought that they looked really hard and I would never be able to learn them and get good and that's just WAYYY above my skill level, and then I thought to just give it a shot anyways, because what do I have to lose? Turns out with just a little practice, it was REALLY EASY. If all of the aerials auto cancelled, that doesn't mean that everybody is automatically on the same skill level anyways because you still have mindgames. Plus, it's so satisfying once you realize that you are getting better and it starts to pay off. Where's the challenge in it if the game just does the work for you?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I think the .gif Nihonjin provided is a nail in the coffin of this argument: we have two top players in a recent set powershielding and punishing out of it: they're not doing it by accident because of how frequently it's happened. I think it's fair to say that all that's needed is more experience with the mechanic for it to break into the mainstream like l-cancelling is; I watched this video last night, and I realized that a lot of these top players were missing their l-cancels and doing poor wavedashes. It's indicative of the growth of the technical aspects of this game, and to say that powershielding can't become a part of that is foolhardy. There's really no way to punish it, just like l-canceling, so there's not much reason not to do it, just like l-cancelling. The only option you have is to mix up the timing of whatever's going on, which is the same in both options. Literally the only difference is that powershielding has a stricter window than l-canceling and a larger variety of ways it can go wrong. The base concept is just as simplistic, though: l-cancelling only needs to know the shield mixups that can occur, powershielding only needs the hitbox mixups that can occur.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't understand how L-cancelling is always essential? I used to do really well in Melee before I learned about l-cancelling. I wouldn't say it's essential, but it helps you move faster and follow up on combos. It seems like you guys are only complaining about this because it's something that's too hard for you to learn, in which case you should probably just play Brawl or something where you don't need to learn things like l-cancels and wavedashes. I've attempted to learn more advanced techniques in other fighting games like Street Fighter, and admittedly I found it pretty tough and lost interest, but that's okay. I still really enjoy the game even though I wasn't willing to pass the techskill barrier.
There are only a few techs that I find to be really challenging in Super Smash Brothers (like moonwalking or DACUS, but that's just me, and they aren't essential to being very good at the game or even just winning). Yeah, getting your l-cancels consistently is hard, and yes you're going to get punished for it sometimes if you miss. You're also going to get punished even if you do consistently L-cancel if you just mindless approach people with aerials.
I played a guy locally who basically knew none of the "advanced" tech like l-cancelling or wavedashing, and he was a very solid player and he beat me a few times even though I can l-cancel and wavedash quite consistently. This game comes down to mindgames and how you read your opponent, and apparently he was good at it because he beat me.
You DON'T NEED to learn techs to be good if you can read your opponents well. Techs help step up your game by increasing your speed, combo options, movement options, etc. If you are interested in getting better and stepping up your game, then learn them even if you have to lose because losing is part of the learning process. If you don't want to increase your options, that's fine, and I'm sure that you can probably adapt to that, but it will probably be more difficult. If you really think that something so simple as pressing L/R/Z before you hit the ground is so incredibly difficult and stupid then you should probably either stop playing Smash, learn to adapt, or quit *****ing and keep practicing. You're going to find a skill barrier in almost any game you can think of. There are going to be drivers in racing games that drift so well and and are so fast , but they practice their *** off to get that good. Or that sniper in a shooting game that gets 5 headshots in a row and your screaming about how ****ing ridiculous that is and he surely has an aimbot, but really he 's been playing a long time and is just a very good shot.
When I started competitively and saw all the advanced techs I thought that they looked really hard and I would never be able to learn them and get good and that's just WAYYY above my skill level, and then I thought to just give it a shot anyways, because what do I have to lose? Turns out with just a little practice, it was REALLY EASY. If all of the aerials auto cancelled, that doesn't mean that everybody is automatically on the same skill level anyways because you still have mindgames. Plus, it's so satisfying once you realize that you are getting better and it starts to pay off. Where's the challenge in it if the game just does the work for you?
It's essential even if you're playing Peach and use float cancels. You can't not do it because you put yourself at a severe disadvantage without.

You need to be technically sound to get higher up in Melee, reads matter as well but it's more reliant on how they can be executed or not.

My issue isn't straight up it needing to be technical but why. This is why I support Wavedashing far more than L-canceling, one has a purpose with execution, but has a lot of applications and things your opponent has far more influence on.

L-Cancelling fails on this regard. I can L-Cancel, but at the same time it's just there as an artificial barrier, that's all it is and ever will be.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
It's essential even if you're playing Peach and use float cancels. You can't not do it because you put yourself at a severe disadvantage without.
I suppose that is true, I do agree that there really isn't a time to l-cancel. Personally I just think that its such a simple mechanic that it isn't worth complaining about.

You need to be technically sound to get higher up in Melee, reads matter as well but it's more reliant on how they can be executed or not.
I agree with you on this as well. That is a good point, but also when you understand your character I think it is easier to execute better reads since you know what moves work best in that situation. Would you agree?

My issue isn't straight up it needing to be technical but why. This is why I support Wavedashing far more than L-canceling, one has a purpose with execution, but has a lot of applications and things your opponent has far more influence on.
I can also agree with this. If I had to get rid of one it would certainly be L-canceling.

L-Cancelling fails on this regard. I can L-Cancel, but at the same time it's just there as an artificial barrier, that's all it is and ever will be.
This is the only one I'm sort of on the ropes about. Like I said earlier, it's an incredibly simple mechanic that can be done well with a bit of practice. It's much less demanding than the other techs, like wavedashing for example. Not that wavedashing is hard, but l-canceling is easier, regardless of how the timing is affected when not hitting, hitting, and hitting shield.
It's definitely preferable that you attempt to l-cancel all of your aerials, as it does make you less easily punished, combo followups, etc. And yeah, sometimes you will get punished for missing the timing on your l-cancel, and yes that sucks. But if you keep practicing you will miss your l-cancels less frequently, and therefore get punished less. L-canceling is literally all timing. It's not that hard, it's literally just the press of a button. Just practice and you won't miss your l-cancels as much, it really is as simple as that.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Is this something that can happen consistently
Consistent enough to completely wreck your argument. Besides, how is that a relevant question? It's less consistent than L-canceling, which should make you more against it.

You can always force an L-cancel regardless of what your opponent does or what you are doing
No you can't, which is why people miss them.

L-cancelling only really is an issue with your opponent when you get hitlag wrong
Which happens all the time since your opponent can influence the required timing.

you can clearly see where their shield is and if they have time to tilt it up, then you've been on their shield for a while and you can see what they are doing.
And you can clearly see when someone's going to attack and powershield 100% of the time.. Or not, since we're not playing TAS.

This isn't the same at all and neither like Marth's tipper. They require to see what both players are doing, they do interact with reads and spacing. L-cancelling doesn't do this
Yes it does, you just said yourself that your L-cancels depend on properly reading the hitlag. Which in turn depends on properly reading your opponents positioning and reaction.

Outside of someone not knowing how Ice Climbers work with two shields and someone sitting in their shield long enough to tilt it up, how?
Spotdodges, crouching (with certain characters), wavedashing backwards, lightshields, powershields. Pretty much anything that changes your hitbox affects their timing.

There is a lot more interaction with trying to power shield and making a read/timing right with a power shield.
No there isn't. The timing for powershielding is just a bit stricter. The amount of interaction is similar.

There isn't, you are right that if you could you would aim for it consistently.
Which means you should be more against powershielding than you are L-canceling. But you're not, so what gives?

Can't force it anywhere near as consistently as L-canceling is.
People said the same thing about doubleshines, shielddrops and other technical aspects. The truth is, you have no idea what we're capable of given enough time.

If you think this is the case, over devil's advocate, I could say you have a point. The issue is with L-cancelling, it directly affects all forms of aerials and gameplay. Powershielding isn't essential for all forms of play but rewards you for the right read. Tippers aren't essential for Marth to perform well but make his identity as a fencer and reward him for his good spacing.
Irrelevant.
L-Cancelling is always essential
So is powershielding. Ask Yoshi.

Last edited:

Sensei

Smash Lord
IMO L-cancelling helps prevent people from mindlessly throwing out aerial attacks and helps you be more aware of your movement and attacks.

Thor

Smash Champion
Again, there's no real strategic value to not powershielding.
LOL you're wrong. You DEFINITELY don't want to powershield a Samus charge shot or missile when your buddy just jumped it and is now attacking one of the other guys - otherwise you just reflected a missile or charge shot into him or her and cost your team a lot of percent (you hurt them and the other person escaped the combo) and probably stage control. Shield early enough that you eat the shield damage and move on.

Your analogy fails dude. Try again.

AND, here's an example where M2K should NOT have shielded the way he did - it got Armada killed at about 14:00 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbWeCSTWJhc

Last edited:

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
LOL you're wrong. You DEFINITELY don't want to powershield a Samus charge shot or missile when your buddy just jumped it and is now attacking one of the other guys - otherwise you just reflected a missile or charge shot into him or her and cost your team a lot of percent (you hurt them and the other person escaped the combo) and probably stage control. Shield early enough that you eat the shield damage and move on.

AND, here's an example where M2K should NOT have shielded the way he did - it got Armada killed at about 14:00 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbWeCSTWJhc
Thats such a niche situation, just... wow...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Consistent enough to completely wreck your argument. Besides, how is that a relevant question? It's less consistent than L-canceling, which should make you more against it.
A cherry pick of one situation where two players made the right decision? How about the rest of the set or times they played?

No you can't, which is why people miss them.
Human error is a thing, we get it. That's not where the core issue is where people mess up, the issue is what this does to aspects of gameplay.

What this does for a technical floor/ceiling, what this does for actual decision making, and how this affects the cast as a whole, risk/reward.

Which happens all the time since your opponent can influence the required timing.
It really won't. Most of the time the defending can't really stop it reliably and more often than not it's a technical error cause by the player alone that causes the issue rather than the opponent forcing a mistake.

And you can clearly see when someone's going to attack and powershield 100% of the time.. Or not, since we're not playing TAS.
You missed the point entirely, if someone has their shield out that long you can see them tilting it since it takes time to move it.

Yes it does, you just said yourself that your L-cancels depend on properly reading the hitlag. Which in turn depends on properly reading your opponents positioning and reaction.
Landing a tipper or power shield has a lot more gameplay and interaction than trying to L-cancel. When you try and L-cancel most of the time, you don't care what your opponent is doing since you can cover pretty much most of their

Spotdodges, crouching (with certain characters), wavedashing backwards, lightshields, powershields. Pretty much anything that changes your hitbox affects their timing.
Most of these can be covered under just knowing how to L-cancel without an opponent there. The shield ones are a bit trickier but does ask the question how they did that to aerials you can't really react to outside of human reaction time. If they made the right read, ok but that's part of the reward for a power shield. I don't rememeber how much it changes hitlag with a power shield but if it is under 7 frames, I think thats the window for an L-cancel you can cover that as well.

No there isn't. The timing for powershielding is just a bit stricter. The amount of interaction is similar.
It's a lot more strict since you can't react to a lot of attacks outside of just reads, they are similar but L-canceling fails at actually leading to more real interaction when you consider what shields do vs what L-cancelling realistically does.

Which means you should be more against powershielding than you are L-canceling. But you're not, so what gives?
Because I don't think it gives enough to warrant existing and goes against a lot of design philosophies I agree with.

http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2012/7/16/execution-in-fighting-games.html

I don't want execution gone or lack of reward for doing it. What I want is for it to have real purpose than just artificially buffing the need of tech skill with no real reason other than, "just cause." Make it have legitimate stronger interactions and tactical gameplay, like wavedashing.

Give people a reason to use it or a choice to do it, power shieldings tighter timing adds more risk and interaction while not being as intrusive to choice like L-canceling is. Choosing to put your shield up or jump or to use a move has choice. Choosing to add more or less lag to a move does not as long as there is no resource like a meter for it.

People said the same thing about doubleshines, shielddrops and other technical aspects. The truth is, you have no idea what we're capable of given enough time.
Unless you Tool assist, you cant do this with power shields.

Irrelevant.
That has everything to do with it. Marth without a tipper would still be a fencer/spacing character, with it, it makes it even more clear that is his identity and adds rewards for doing that if you space and read your opponent right. It adds a reward for playing his kind of game, because there is risk to mispacing.

Sucks for him. Yoshi's shield has issues.

~

While I partly agree, character balance can still ruin a game and change how long it can live and how fun it can be to play and watch.

I can't stand watching or playing MvC2 because it's awful balance and aspects of its gameplay. Also some of the things you referenced here I'm not sure is universally accepted. I've been more under the impression SF4 is a lot more liked than SF3 even with gameplay.

Last edited:
While I partly agree, character balance can still ruin a game and change how long it can live and how fun it can be to play and watch.

I can't stand watching or playing MvC2 because it's awful balance and aspects of its gameplay. Also some of the things you referenced here I'm not sure is universally accepted. I've been more under the impression SF4 is a lot more liked than SF3 even with gameplay.
It was a rushed speech /john

Melee's been fine with only 8 good characters. So were 3S and MVC2. Certain games also ask for a certain taste in the genre. Marvel is really button-mashy and the screen gets full of hit boxes and fast attacks all the time. Melee and Marvel 2's character balance conveniently also had their best characters being the most fun. 3S isn't as lucky since Chun-Li dominates that game. She's just build meter > space cr.mk > super > repeat. The underlying gameplay still makes it fun

I should have mentioned that fun is subjective. The whole supers thing is why I find 3S to be more fun than USF4. There are various opinions about 3S. Some love it, some hate it. The main complaints are the freaky characters and parries. Parries kind of throw away strategy and are too much about gut feeling. They also pretty much negate the projectile game. I didn't choose ST because I'm not familiar with it. There'd probably be more unanimous agreement that that game > USF4

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It was a rushed speech /john

Melee's been fine with only 8 good characters. So were 3S and MVC2. Certain games also ask for a certain taste in the genre. Marvel is really button-mashy and the screen gets full of hit boxes and fast attacks all the time. Melee and Marvel 2's character balance conveniently also had their best characters being the most fun. 3S isn't as lucky since Chun-Li dominates that game. She's just build meter > space cr.mk > super > repeat. The underlying gameplay still makes it fun

I should have mentioned that fun is subjective. The whole supers thing is why I find 3S to be more fun than USF4. There are various opinions about 3S. Some love it, some hate it. The main complaints are the freaky characters and parries. Parries kind of throw away strategy and are too much about gut feeling. They also pretty much negate the projectile game. I didn't choose ST because I'm not familiar with it. There'd probably be more unanimous agreement that that game > USF4
I'm in the indifferent crowd for 3S, not really a hate or love for it.

SF2 and SF4 are where it is at for me.

I agree that solid gameplay is needed and wanted more over character balance, I do think they go hand in hand a bit since bad gameplay will usually lead to bad balance somewhere.

Character balance might be second, but in turn that balance can also be a turn off for others and lead to a lot of problems for keeping people excitied, this is why I'm never excited to watch when I see MvC2 being played.

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
@ #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu

To be honest - I'm not sure if Sakura's 1-frame linker is comparable to a 7-frame L-Cancel. And I do think some focus on exucution is desirable - I mean that's why we are playing Smash Bros. or Street Fighter versus online Chess or Hearthstone.

Also, some of Sakura's combos may be hard to do, but at the same time she has high burst damage damage output.

Melee and Project M have a lot of crazy combos and in a game where you can do a 0-death or perform 70% combos I think it's important for those to be somewhat hard to pull off. I mean Fox and Falco require so many button inputs, autocancelling would help them the most out of anyone else. People already complain about the "one mistake = death" gameplay of UMvC3 and making those combos easier to exucute will only increase that frustration.

I don't think you need L-Cancelling for Smash to be good. But considering the 3 games it comes from ( games with high combo potential ) I think it actually benefits those games. I do think reduced landing lag or auto-cancels could work - but I think the game might have to reduce combo potential for it.

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
L-cancelling is bad design sure if we look at it from an isolated point of view, but it's a necessary evil to make the game better. if characters had more balance, L-cancel wouldn't be required anymore in my humble opinion.

After seeing another community getting beaten up by having characters be incredibly user friendly I can sympathize with the opinion that having characters take skill to wield be a necessary component of video games in general.

A fundamental problem with video games compared to say physical sports is the fact that a video game can be molded to be incredibly easy to pilot a character or not. If I am playing tennis there is nothing automatic about the process as all. My endurance is my own that I have to build up. The ability for me to make a good first serve without failure is something I have to put up with. There is a build in human error associated with playing a physical sport you simply have to put up with.

In video games many of those errors can be completely eliminated by making the coding incredibly user friendly. As an extreme view point suppose Fox's shine took up the whole screen and had the knockback to KO someone the moment it hit. At that point there is absolutely no skill in pressing down B at all to win matches if all other characters are unchanged. If such a thing existed people would play it for like a few minutes, then never play it again for how stupidly easy it is for someone to use.

There is appeal in something being challenging to execute and there is a necessity I would say in making sure video games are not too easy for the pilot to perform to maintain a healthy lifetime for the game. In this regard, I would say L-canceling is a nice feature to have in the game. It provides us with that artificial difficulty that a human must practice in order to get it right. Without such devices to give some semblance of difficulty in a video game one cannot really be too skillful at it.

Should we make wavedashing automatic as well at the press of a button? At some point you have to draw the line where a person should have to work and practice for their success versus it be handed to them. L-canceling is a barrier to a person being able to execute skillfully and I do not find it a daunting task to surmount that barrier in order to play well.

Just as in say tennis if I fault twice my opponent gets a point I like the idea that if I mess up my l-cancel my opponent gets a free shot at me or escapes my combo. Without these little areas to display my hard work at practicing the game simply is not all that fun to play.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
What actual gameplay choice is there in it? I know power shielding and Marth's Tipper are a thing but you need to interact with your opponent a lot more for those to actually take affect.

That is honestly where my biggest issue is. You don't get to choose if you will or not, you will always do it no matter the situation.

It adds complexity with no real depth. There is no depth to L-canceling, That is where my main issue with it is.

I'm aware that complexity is needed in fighting games and I entirely agree it is needed. Combos do add depth, more so in Smash than any other game I have seen. Wavedashing adds something to the game.

What does L-canceling honestly offer for Depth?

Depth and complexity should go hand in hand, not be separate.

Firejew

Smash Cadet
r u tellin me i cant whiff l-cancels on purpose to confuse, condition, or bait my opponent?
even people who l cancel consistently get all kinds of messed up when the pace of the match rapidly changes because i'm doing weird ****

Last edited:

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
This is a very interesting conversation that I may want to get into once I have collected my thoughts, but for now I want to clear up something:

Powershielding isn't essential for Yoshi. What you may be referring to is his Parry, which is unique to him and is different from powershielding.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
This is a very interesting conversation that I may want to get into once I have collected my thoughts, but for now I want to clear up something:

Powershielding isn't essential for Yoshi. What you may be referring to is his Parry, which is unique to him and is different from powershielding.
What's different about Parry and Powershield?

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
To refrain from staying off-topic, I won't describe it here. The Yoshi boards have a lot of information about it, so check them out.

Thor

Smash Champion
There is appeal in something being challenging to execute and there is a necessity I would say in making sure video games are not too easy for the pilot to perform to maintain a healthy lifetime for the game. In this regard, I would say L-canceling is a nice feature to have in the game. It provides us with that artificial difficulty that a human must practice in order to get it right. Without such devices to give some semblance of difficulty in a video game one cannot really be too skillful at it.
Nairo, M2K, Zero, Nakat, Ally, ADHD, and some other players I could name (ESAM, Tyrant, Kie, Choco, Salem, Mr. R, the list goes on) are ridiculously skilled at Brawl. Are you saying Brawl has sufficient tech skill execution barriers or that one cannot be skillful at the game?

If you are saying it has sufficient tech skill execution barriers, then why does Melee need L-canceling? Brawl does not have it and has competitive depth and a lot of skillful players.

Or if you are saying one can't be too skilled at Brawl, I dare you to MM/play and beat any of those players in that list - your icons under your name imply you play Brawl, and since no one can be very skilled at it, I'm sure you can back it up and beat one of those players who are actually not skilled since people can't be skilled at it...

Also Divekick. To my understanding, hugely mental game, very competitive. Two buttons.

Last edited:
Nairo, M2K, Zero, Nakat, Ally, ADHD, and some other players I could name (ESAM, Tyrant, Kie, Choco, Salem, Mr. R, the list goes on) are ridiculously skilled at Brawl. Are you saying Brawl has sufficient tech skill execution barriers or that one cannot be skillful at the game?

If you are saying it has sufficient tech skill execution barriers, then why does Melee need L-canceling? Brawl does not have it and has competitive depth and a lot of skillful players.

Or if you are saying one can't be too skilled at Brawl, I dare you to MM/play and beat any of those players in that list - your icons under your name imply you play Brawl, and since no one can be very skilled at it, I'm sure you can back it up and beat one of those players who are actually not skilled since people can't be skilled at it...

Also Divekick. To my understanding, hugely mental game, very competitive. Two buttons.
None of those implications at all from my end. I never even have the word brawl in my statements.

I was going from the extreme end of video games acting too user friendly. To the point where you press a button and you literally auto-win. Video games could potentially reach that game design if a developer wanted too. I simply do not see it selling well if someone did that. In that case a developer has to make things difficult for a user in someway. We make jab moves quick, but low knockdown and cooldown. Heavy attacks trade start-up/cooldown for more power. Tilts often are the middle ground between jab and smashes. With these designs a player has to make the appropriate decision on which move to use. That is a talent/skill a person must practice and develop. I am simply referring to the need for game developers to add mechanics in there games that require a person to be skillful.

With L-canceling it too is another skill/talent a person must practice in order to have consistency at performing actions. Brawl and melee have different skill sets, but some amount of cross over as well. There is a skill in buffering properly with brawl while that is virtually non-existant in melee while melee has l-canceling to worry about. Both games require some sort of skill set and exhibit mechanics which require a person to be skillful.

My stance has simply been to say l-canceling to not be a bad game design since it adds execution barriers to the player. There are other things one can do to add barrier to the game and l-canceling is merely one of them. Is it the best way or not, I am not sure. But I agree with the idea of some mechanics existing in a game to simply be there for say execution difficulty.

Thor

Smash Champion
Xeylode said:
But I agree with the idea of some mechanics existing in a game to simply be there for say execution difficulty.
Ideological conflict here - I don't think you can persuade me of this, or that I can persuade you that a game can be difficult not because of inputs but because the game is difficult when played against skilled players, and that a game can be high quality [ex chess, although I know chess =/= smash bros].

Agree to disagree?

Ideological conflict here - I don't think you can persuade me of this, or that I can persuade you that a game can be difficult not because of inputs but because the game is difficult when played against skilled players, and that a game can be high quality [ex chess, although I know chess =/= smash bros].

Agree to disagree?
". . . a game can be difficult not because of inputs, but because the game is difficult when played against skilled players. . ."
I would find it enjoyable to have both aspects. Something which is difficult to perform is fun due to trying to overcome personal challenge. Simply from experience with Archery and Tennis its enjoyable to see myself improve on the basics. Trying to have a good serve is something I can practice on my own and not have an opponent to play against. Then, when you combine having to play a good opponent with your own built up skills it becomes a good experience. The harder I have to work to achieve a certain level of performance the more enjoyable the experience.

I am not trying to convince you of anything really though. This is a nice cross roads of opinions. You present an aspect I probably have not considered and I reevaluate some of my own thoughts and reflect upon it and display it. Then, we see where the conversation goes.
I think that a competitive game with luck factors such as tripping as with only 1 viable character is poor design
Luck factors can tolerable if done right. Using pokemon for example there are aspects of luck that can be reliable and strategic while others are straight up dumb luck. Say you get a critical hit randomly that is only a 5% chance. That's dumb luck. However, if you combine say Togekiss's Serenes Grace you end up with Air Slash that has a 60% chance to flinch. Odds are that out of 2 attacks you will get a flinch. To me if I have to 3HKO a pokemon with Air Slash it might as well be a 2HKO if one of the moves flinch.

For a single character I suppose it depends upon the character. If a single character was extremely customization to offer say various play-styles, then I think a fighting game could be quite interesting.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
". . . a game can be difficult not because of inputs, but because the game is difficult when played against skilled players. . ."
I would find it enjoyable to have both aspects. Something which is difficult to perform is fun due to trying to overcome personal challenge. Simply from experience with Archery and Tennis its enjoyable to see myself improve on the basics. Trying to have a good serve is something I can practice on my own and not have an opponent to play against. Then, when you combine having to play a good opponent with your own built up skills it becomes a good experience. The harder I have to work to achieve a certain level of performance the more enjoyable the experience.

I am not trying to convince you of anything really though. This is a nice cross roads of opinions. You present an aspect I probably have not considered and I reevaluate some of my own thoughts and reflect upon it and display it. Then, we see where the conversation goes.

Luck factors can tolerable if done right. Using pokemon for example there are aspects of luck that can be reliable and strategic while others are straight up dumb luck. Say you get a critical hit randomly that is only a 5% chance. That's dumb luck. However, if you combine say Togekiss's Serenes Grace you end up with Air Slash that has a 60% chance to flinch. Odds are that out of 2 attacks you will get a flinch. To me if I have to 3HKO a pokemon with Air Slash it might as well be a 2HKO if one of the moves flinch.

For a single character I suppose it depends upon the character. If a single character was extremely customization to offer say various play-styles, then I think a fighting game could be quite interesting.
That's true, but I think we need to limit luck to where it could be enjoyable, such as stitchfaces and misfires. I don't think anyone enjoys tripping

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I don't understand why the post about basketball wasn't the end of this thread. It is such a good analogy, and the "because it's a physical sport" counter argument doesn't even apply. It's a competition where the goal is to get a ball in a hoop to win. Smash, and any video game, is about pressing the right buttons to beat your opponent in a virtual setting to win.

I also find it rather single minded to say that fighting games shouldn't have execution challenges because they are based on spacing but rts games can.

Basketball is about spacing your team to get to the goal. RTS is about strategy. Why would it ever be ok for a physical skill to contribute to all these things and not contribute to a fighting game. This point of view literally makes no sense to me.

And I literally can not see how someone can counter the argument that you can mess up someone's power shielding to force an error and say that it simply shouldn't happen. That just shows ignorance of the depth of the game or that you just don't understand exactly what's involved with those situations.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
I don't understand why the post about basketball wasn't the end of this thread. It is such a good analogy, and the "because it's a physical sport" counter argument doesn't even apply. It's a competition where the goal is to get a ball in a hoop to win. Smash, and any video game, is about pressing the right buttons to beat your opponent in a virtual setting to win.

I also find it rather single minded to say that fighting games shouldn't have execution challenges because they are based on spacing but rts games can.

Basketball is about spacing your team to get to the goal. RTS is about strategy. Why would it ever be ok for a physical skill to contribute to all these things and not contribute to a fighting game. This point of view literally makes no sense to me.

And I literally can not see how someone can counter the argument that you can mess up someone's power shielding to force an error and say that it simply shouldn't happen. That just shows ignorance of the depth of the game or that you just don't understand exactly what's involved with those situations.
There are already technical barriers without L-cancelling - wavedashing, movement in general, ledge-cancelling, making sure you actually use the right move, powershielding, spacing properly with your own attacks around your opponent, and probably more I'm not listing. Those all add depth to the game. What does L-cancelling add? To a top player like Mango, PPMD, M2K, Armada, and/or Hbox, it adds nothing whatsoever, but puts in a barrier for lower-skilled players that has turned players away from the game. These players hit their L-cancels whether they hit a shield, a player, nothing, ICs, ICs shield, or a single ICs shield, because they've practiced for so long, but they could still have the same level of proficiency if aerials just had L-cancelled lag in the first place.

Basketball has no tech skill barriers that ONLY add difficulty without depth - passing the ball in, dribbling, regular shooting from anywhere - there is an opportunity cost to each maneuver, with more difficult maneuvers requiring greater skill and you have to be able to do the right thing at any given time. But you don't have to make an odd motion every time you jump just to make sure you can still act quickly to chase after the ball. You do have to press the L or R button every time you land while doing something just to make the game play "normally" at a somewhat high level.

I may not be explaining it that well, but I'll say one more thing on this: Melee would still be as good a game as it is if L-canceling was never a thing and everyone has L-cancelled landing lag. Basketball would not be as much fun to watch/play/whatever if you removed an aspect of the game that requires some kind of skill [shooting, dribbling, passing, throwing it in, etc.].

r u tellin me i cant whiff l-cancels on purpose to confuse, condition, or bait my opponent?
even people who l cancel consistently get all kinds of messed up when the pace of the match rapidly changes because i'm doing weird ****
This must be a joke. You wanna whiff your L-cancels against a top player you'll get your *** whooped - there are matches where PPMD and M2K don't miss a single L-cancel, but there are tons of punishes because their lag is still too high/they made mistakes like that. You sit in lag longer, you're still just going to eat the exact same punish you'd normally eat from a strong player - they'll just think you're scrubby too if they whiff a punish once because they'll see you missed an L-cancel. It doesn't alter the pace of the match when they're rushing in to punish at all - you'd still just get smacked around.

I think that a competitive game with luck factors such as tripping as with only 1 viable character is poor design
RNG factors in Melee, as Xeylode pointed out, and being on the receiving end of a stitchface when up like 60% to 200% isn't fun it's just stupid, same for actually KOing Luigi had a misfire not occurred. There are multiple matches I can think of where someone would have lost if RNG hadn't gifted them a win out of nowhere [Vudujin vs Hbox had at least 3 misfires that saved him, Abate vs Hax had the misfire KO, there's more.] But ignoring that point, and just saying "fine they are fun", there are ways to avoid trips - walking/sticky walking and staying airborne mitigate the risk. Tripping is also usually small enough that it doesn't affect too much.

There's 10 viable characters, 9 if you don't count the only one in the bunch countered by the very top character.

Xeylode said:
As I stated when discussing the basketball analogy, serving is a part of the game where skill and how you use the skill you develop can actively affect the outcome of the match [serving fast or slow and serving at different angles]. You can develop a serve that is as weak or strong as you choose [mixups with slow serves], where you can upgrade yourself and the result. But L-cancelling is a flatline without depth - you can't somehow L-cancel differently to further reduce lag or actually add lag. You can notice a poor serve AND a good serve in tennis, but you won't ever say "Wow that was a good L-cancel." [BUT you might say "Wow that was a good ledge-cancel.", because that does add depth in if you decide to go for it or land nearer the center of the platform, possible because you can't make it or need something close to tech on at high percents.]

Serving is a skill where there is certainly a difference bred by practice that is visible in games. But L-cancelling is not - even if X player practices it for 3 years and Y player practices it for 1, if both can do it consistently, then there is no visible difference when watching their aerial's landing lag in a mirror warm-up, while in Tennis there could be a visible difference if two players with the same baseline had different amounts of practice. That is, there is a visible difference in Roger Federer's service game and the service game of some other professional, but there's no difference between PPMD's L-canceling and Mango's L-cancelling when they each play Falco, even if one or the other has actually practiced it for a longer period of time [I think Mango's been in tournaments in a notable manner since 2007, PPMD since 2009, so there is a gap].

You discuss satisfaction - I find satisfaction in a well-timed, proper-length wavedash, a well-timed and executed DACUS or glide toss and followup [Brawl but same principle applies], properly spacing an aerial, finishing a chaingrab, and successfully ledge-guarding someone, because those all depend in vast part on me reading my opponent and executing the correct options. L-cancelling is just me hitting a button, and unlike the others, as I said above it's never noted when it's done well, only when it's done badly. I take no satisfaction in it, only get annoyed at myself when I mess it up, but I guess that's another point on which we differ.

Last edited:

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Wow this discussion is still going.

I'm like a new player who came in fresh and I might just be really special but l-cancelling didn't feel like that high of a barrier to me. When I started playing I considered wavedashing/wavelanding harder. But those add things so it's like instantly all cool. I "mastered" it to a point where I'll mess up once every few matches but that's about it. I haven't spend hours on end trying to hit the proper buttons, I just played and did it. If l-cancel is enough for a player to quit not getting decent results cause this game is 13 years old by now and most players playing it way longer than they have will. When I play fox I actually like that it's there just because it keeps me pressing buttons more often making it feel like less of a burst when I input a large string of tech. (lol that half year tech but whatev) The only argument I can think of for l-canceling is that all of a sudden tiers would be far more visible in casual play. (lbr without tech or real smarts fox bullrushing you with near lagless nairs (and maybe even shines cause it's all of a sudden not hard to find out about anymore) seems awful for casual play)

L-canceling isn't an annoying mechanic forcing new players away. Nor does it add hardcore depth to aerials. It's just there.

Just the perspective of someone from the group of people who should have been shut out by this mechanic.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Don't want to get wrapped up in this, but I do want to comment on technical skill (L cancelling in this instance) somehow being evidence of any depth that a game might have

The 64 boards was having a discussion about what the best character would be given perfect techskill a few months ago. Eventually the discussion moved to what perfection is and what is actually achievable and what good it actually does for you as a player.

You could give a noob perfect techskill and he couldn't take a game off isai. Depth doesn't come from sole technical skill. It comes from good decision making when the game allows for it, and L cancelling simply doesn't offer that.

Maybe a better example would be this: Hax has WAY better techskill than M2K (which is CRAZY to say), but it's true. The fact that all that technical mumbo jumbo doesn't help Hax take any relevant sets should tell you that there's something else going on that makes the other players better.

L cancelling is just a technical skill ceiling. It's not needed. It doesn't add anything to the game as a mental workout (other than of course grinding at first to get it right).

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
LOL you're wrong. You DEFINITELY don't want to powershield a Samus charge shot or missile when your buddy just jumped it and is now attacking one of the other guys - otherwise you just reflected a missile or charge shot into him or her and cost your team a lot of percent (you hurt them and the other person escaped the combo) and probably stage control.
Though you're right in this specific scenario, this isn't actually what I was comparing. The reflecting part of powershields is indeed something you don't want to always do. I'm talking about the shield lag reduction that comes with powershielding.

I was arguing with singles in mind, not doubles. And more specifically, powershielding attacks, not projectiles. So though you're right, you missed the point entirely.

early enough that you eat the shield damage and move on.
Yup, but that's not what I was comparing with the analogy. The reflecting part of powershields is quite irrelevant. I was comparing the shield lag being cut to L-canceling cutting landing lag. If you're going to argue L-canceling shouldn't exist and we should just remove the lag all together (or cut it by some percentage), the same could be said for shield lag and powershields.

I'm quite sure it's your ability to comprehend logical arguments that's lacking..

You realise that was an accident and not intended, right? You also realise that wasn't a powershield, right? How does this not point out the absurdity of your argument?

A cherry pick of one situation where two players made the right decision? How about the rest of the set or times they played?
There's notihng I can do, say or show you at this point to convince you otherwise. Go play Armada in a few friendlies and see if he doens't powershield a **** ton of your attacks.

It's not to hard to imagine powershields becoming even more frequent as we progress as a community.

Human error is a thing, we get it. That's not where the core issue is where people mess up, the issue is what this does to aspects of gameplay.
So what does it do?

What this does for actual decision making, and how this affects the cast as a whole, risk/reward.
Still waiting for you to argue your side.

It really won't.
That's a dumb thing to say since it already does.

Most of the time the defending can't really stop it reliably
And you shouldn't be able to, since the defender isn't the only factor contributing to missed L-cancels. He can only influence it. Being able to stop it entirely would be stupid.

Besides, your argument is, a defender can't stop it reliably so he shouldn't be able to stop it at all? I don't see how that makes any sense.

and more often than not it's a technical error cause by the player alone that causes the issue rather than the opponent forcing a mistake.
And now you're making up things.

You missed the point entirely, if someone has their shield out that long you can see them tilting it since it takes time to move it.
Why on earth do you think it takes long to tilt your shield? You're just shielding. Tilting it doesn't actually take up anymore time than not tilting it.

Landing a tipper or power shield has a lot more gameplay and interaction than trying to L-cancel. When you try and L-cancel most of the time, you don't care what your opponent is doing since you can cover pretty much most of their
Repeating yourself doesn't make your point any less wrong.

You do care what your opponent is doing since your L-cancel timing changes depending on what they do and whether you hit them or not.

Most of these can be covered under just knowing how to L-cancel without an opponent there.
Again, the defending party can mix things up. So just knowing how to react in certain situations doesn't mean you can't be tricked by your opponent.

It's a lot more strict since you can't react to a lot of attacks outside of just reads, they are similar but L-canceling fails at actually leading to more real interaction when you consider what shields do vs what L-cancelling realistically does.
Again, wrong.

Give people a reason to use it or a choice to do it, power shieldings tighter timing adds more risk and interaction while not being as intrusive to choice like L-canceling is. Choosing to put your shield up or jump or to use a move has choice. Choosing to add more or less lag to a move does not as long as there is no resource like a meter for it.
Again, you're only looking at this from the attackers point of view. Which is ridiculous.

Unless you Tool assist, you cant do this with power shields.
Ok Nostradamus.

That has everything to do with it. Marth without a tipper would still be a fencer/spacing character, with it, it makes it even more clear that is his identity and adds rewards for doing that if you space and read your opponent right. It adds a reward for playing his kind of game, because there is risk to mispacing.
Uhuh.

Yes, I understand that parrying is a different mechanic from powershielding. But in the context of this discussion the technical differences are irrelevant.

The fact is that parrying gives you a massive frame advantage compared to regular shielding. So there's no reason you wouldn't want to do it. Yoshi's these days heavily rely on the ability to do it consistently, so by the anti-Lcanceling side's logic, parrying should always happen, rather than be "artificially" increase difficulty.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
There's notihng I can do, say or show you at this point to convince you otherwise. Go play Armada in a few friendlies and see if he doens't powershield a **** ton of your attacks.

It's not to hard to imagine powershields becoming even more frequent as we progress as a community.
I don't find people doing it more frequently being unusual the better people get. I'm only saying it's not nearly as consistent as you think it is.

So what does it do?
Human error is why a mistake even happens, pretty simple here.

Still waiting for you to argue your side.

You might wanna read back.

That's a dumb thing to say since it already does.
You literally just said in this post you have referenced M2K and co not missing a single L-Cancel. If you think this is something that actually has a purpose other than artificially buffing the tech skill required I'm still waiting for any real reason it has a point.

If it doesn't really add depth, why is it there? Tech skill is needed, but it needs a point.

Otherwise you're implying smash should be more like Ice skating or diving over soccer or football.

And you shouldn't be able to, since the defender isn't the only factor contributing to missed L-cancels. He can only influence it. Being able to stop it entirely would be stupid.

Besides, your argument is, a defender can't stop it reliably so he shouldn't be able to stop it at all? I don't see how that makes any sense.
You're effectively proving my point, if your opponent cant interact with it and the tech itself doesn't add depth or choice. Why is it there?

And now you're making up things.
You literally just posted that players can go games without missing an L-cancel, my post is only refering to L-canceling.

Repeating yourself doesn't make your point any less wrong.
what.
depth.
does.
L.
canceling.
have.

It's a simple question.

Oh and thanks for cutting the main focus of what my argument is with the article I posted.

I'm not asking to dumb down gameplay or to throw execution out the window. I'm asking for it to have a real point.

Thor

Smash Champion
Though you're right in this specific scenario, this isn't actually what I was comparing. The reflecting part of powershields is indeed something you don't want to always do. I'm talking about the shield lag reduction that comes with powershielding.

I was arguing with singles in mind, not doubles. And more specifically, powershielding attacks, not projectiles. So though you're right, you missed the point entirely.

Yup, but that's not what I was comparing with the analogy. The reflecting part of powershields is quite irrelevant. I was comparing the shield lag being cut to L-canceling cutting landing lag. If you're going to argue L-canceling shouldn't exist and we should just remove the lag all together (or cut it by some percentage), the same could be said for shield lag and powershields.

I'm quite sure it's your ability to comprehend logical arguments that's lacking..

You realise that was an accident and not intended, right? You also realise that wasn't a powershield, right? How does this not point out the absurdity of your argument?
I know that's not a powershield, but it's a byproduct of not shielding early enough to prevent a deflected/powershielded missile. And I've seen powershielded missiles KO a teammate, but I didn't want to go dig up another video when I remembered one that was very close and illustrating the point I wanted to make.

L-cancelling is relevant in teams AND singles. Don't know why we'd isolate it to singles like that, but if you want to nit-pick the conditions of the debate to suit yourself, well, I tip my hat for the strategy. And I'll roll with it.

Powershielding projectiles provides the same benefits of attacks, but you may not want the reflection (and if you know it'll get re-reflected in singles, which I've seen, then you don't want the reflection there either [though that is very specific and rare, I freely admit it - but re-powershielding a powershielded laser is satisfying]).

Shielding has a trichotomy of results (at least - and that word I probably made up), while L-cancelling has a dichotomy - shielding you can PS it, shield it, or look to hit shield but drop it for going for a PS and get hit (or you don't powershield it but do try to act right away and are stuck in shield lag, which means you are then not getting the punish) - if you are actively trying to act out of a powershield and miss the powershield, you receive additional punishment or at least whiff a punish [if you weren't looking to drop shield but do something OoS] compared to just trying to shield, meaning an active penalty exists for trying to powershield and follow-up quickly (but failing) compared to shielding and looking for a followup compared to just shielding without looking for a follow-up [roll/spotdodge/stay in shield] (Possibly get back into neutral, which can be valuable in teams for sure [help someone] and is nice in singles when you are eating a lot of pressure and don't think you can punish the pressure properly). No such penalty exists for L-cancelling - you either don't lag or do, but trying to follow up out of a missed L-cancel just means you don't follow up because you are still in lag..

Also cutting shield lag would make shielding really really good [free punish on anything laggy and most shield pressure would be incredibly unsafe - early landing dair as Falco would be absurdly unsafe, instead of merely not safe], but just making everything have its l-cancelled landing lag would not make aerials obscenely good, as even when someone L-cancels properly shield pressure and aerials in general are still punishable. I guess it might buff Fox but Jiggs's shield would have a significantly larger buff from auto-powershielding than her air game from free L-cancelling [lower tech skill ceiling on L-cancelling removed, but I think a very different game without any shieldstun].

You hadn't contextualized this to singles only. Sorry. And your analogy about "Remove shield lag too" I think falls flat as I said above.

Already addressed the "not a powershield thing."

Might read the rest of your post later, but I know these are the parts that were relevant to what I said specifically, and I have class soon.

Top Bottom