• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Cancelled PK Fire (New AT?)

Man_With_Thooo

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry if there's already been a thread like this, but I searched the forums and I wasn't able to find anything similar.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z30b3-6qdG8

I was just fooling around with Lucas today when I eventually found out that you could sort of L-Cancel aerial PK Fires then connect with something else (A smash, a tilt, an aerial, a grab, a roll, or anything similar).

To do this, simply jump then quickly do a PK Fire. If done correctly, there should be a little time to do stuff in the air right after finishing the lag time of the PK fire. Right before touching the ground, do an air dodge. This lets you touch the ground before the air dodge ends canceling the PK Fire's Lag. From here, you could connect with anything. By the way, this also works with Zap-jumped/Double-jumped PK Fires. Heck, you could even do it with the PSI Magnet.

"Wait a minute, what's the point of using this in an actual match?"

Well, I've tested things out and I find out the doing a fast, wavebounced PK Fire is a faster way of traveling compared to simply running to your opponent. In other words, this could be useful if your opponent's far away and you wanna approach him with a USmash, a grab or an aerial. If he's really far away, you could probably use a magnet pull to approach them.

MAJOR EDIT: Tyr was right. You don't need to pull out your shield. Just press R in the air really fast right before landing, then you could connect with ANYTHING right when you land. I guess I should change the name of the thread.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Hmm so apparantly the sliding animation caused by B-sticking PK Fires actually adds to the lag time when compared to simply jumping and using PK Fire in place. This technique eliminates that lag time. You have to use PK Fire pretty quickly after you jump for it to work but since PK Fire always comes out in the same place no matter when you press B on your full jump that shouldn't affect your placement. You can do the same thing with a running full hopped PK Fire in the opposite direction that you're going without the B-stick. Again you just have to press B pretty quickly after the jump.

It's not exactly game breaking but it definetly has its uses. Faster PK Fire spamming and less danger should you happen to miss. Good discovery. I'd just call it L cancelled though since you don't necesarily have to shield after it.

Levitas

the moon
Next time I face an unknown player, I'm gonna do a full hop pk fire magnet pull at him, and airdodge to shield before I hit the ground. It should score me a free Nair.

His reaction should be priceless.

Man_With_Thooo

Smash Apprentice
I'd just call it L cancelled though since you don't necesarily have to shield after it.
You sure? Whenever I do this technique I always pull out the shield. The reason it doesn't look it in the video is because I usually cancel the shield REALLY quickly with a jump/USmash/Grab or something.

Next time I face an unknown player, I'm gonna do a full hop pk fire magnet pull at him, and airdodge to shield before I hit the ground. It should score me a free Nair.

His reaction should be priceless.
Lol yeah, that would be awesome! I haven't been able to do that with only one full hop, though. I usually use my PK Fire RIGHT AFTER I double jump. It seems like using your PK Fire sort of cancels the most of the double jump.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'm sure you don't have to pull out your shield. You'll see yourself airdodging for a second just before you land and you should be able to let go of L in time to do anymove.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
If you can airdodge before you hit the ground, then shouldn't there be normal lag?

I'm hella super confused.

SnowandDeath

Smash Cadet
no one else has done this before?I've accidentally done it a few times but i had no idea where the lag-lessness came from!thank you for giving me a reason to actually use the for something other than RARing!

Man_With_Thooo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks to Tyr, I tested this out further and found out that instead of pulling out your shield, you could could air dodge without pulling the shield to cancel lag, and from there you could connect with ANYTHING!

Thanks, Tyr.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I'm a little confused as to how this is new? Does this work with PKF only? Meaning it will only work if I pkf then airdodge to the ground? Fairing and bairing with an airdodge will not cause the same laglessness???

SnowandDeath

Smash Cadet
i must say this,after trying this out in a few games,I love you...not to say this is a game breaking AT but it helps get a few surprise KOs if you mix it in with regular "wavebouncing"

Vro

Smash Lord
Just for clarification, L-Cancel is no longer available in Brawl and used to refer to canceling lag caused by A attacks only. Please refer lag free moves as auto-cancelable, especially if they're special moves.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
autocancelling assumes that you press no additional buttons for the move to cancel. Examples of this are Ganondorf's auto cancelled Dair which requires you to jump and immediately do a Dair but requires no additional buttons upon landing. Cancelling PK Fire with this does however require additional input. You must press L before landing and are therefore lag-cancelling rather than auto-cancelling. PK Fire would normally have lag upon landing but by doing this it does not. Everyone should know by now that you can't L-cancel regular aerials. Lag cancel is the most appropriate term.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It has to either be done with wavebouncing or by running and doing a full hop backward PK Fire. You probably aren't pressing B fast enough after the jump. You should use forward special almost immediately after the jump (the attack will always hit at the same height though.)

Levitas

the moon
note that magnet pulling is just wavebouncing a psi magnet, you can do it without PK Fire (especially to recover).

supercake

Smash Apprentice
wow very interesting find. Its about time a new Lucas AT showed up. I wonder though if this is just with Lucas or if any character can do this or specific characters with a special similar to pkfire?? If this applies to multiple chars it would be kind of crazy if this hadnt been found yet in one form or another and we just kind of missed it.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Most other characters' B moves auto cancel. The reason PK Fire doesn't auto cancel with B-sticking is because it gives you additional momentum which is enough to cause Lucas to slide when he touches the ground. If you just use a regular PK Fire while not moving there is hardly any lag at all because he doesn't slide when he hits the ground. I assume most other characters' specials work about the same way.

PK Starstorm

Smash Journeyman
In lucas' basement paying rent in doggy treats for
Sorry for double posting, but i NEED to know. I've been trying, and i still can't get it to work. I end up slidind on the floor yes, but I don't get the height you get in the vid. So i'm not able to air dodge before hitting the floor. This move has great potential as an approach, even mind games. you could use this then go into a f tilt.

Levitas

the moon
Yeah, but you don't need it to be dash assisted. I don't really know how useful this is, I haven't given it much attention...

PK Starstorm

Smash Journeyman
In lucas' basement paying rent in doggy treats for
well if you look at the vid, when he uses it i see multiple oppurtunities to use the f tilt as he lands or even the stick. but, how does he get that bounce. that raise that lets him go high enough so that he can air dodge to the ground. How does he do it????????????????

*sorry* I've benn going crazy because I really want to learn the move, but it's not coming out.

Levitas

the moon
That's doing it on the way up from a full jump, it just looks like a bounce because he starts to move back while he's still rising.

Top Bottom