• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L, R, or Z for canceling?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
at the last tournament i went to, we noticed some of the more advanced players moved very quickly, and we attributed this mostly to l-canceling (and wavedashing/dash dancing/short hopping). He said that after looking at the controller of the player he noticed (or thought he noticed) that he used the z button to cancel, i know it can but i was wondering what was prefered my most smashers. He said he didn't hear a lot of clicking, which would indicate the use of the l button. So im asking for him, as well as my self, what do most people use for canceling? i use the l myself, which im expecting to be the common answer, but we'll see.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I use L but Z when I shuffle with Fox for some reason..

TheBoot

Smash Rookie
before i say my preference, let me explain the weird way i hold the controller, and why i hold it like this. instead of having my right pointer finger on the R button, i actually have it on the z button while my middle finger is on the R button. so, i use L for everything and i use z to catch thrown items (mainly that dumb *****e's turnips and bob-ombs, oh is that ever satisfying.) anyway, the reason i hold it that way is that, when i was trying to master XG3 racing on gamecube, i couldnt hit all the buttons with just my thumb. so i moved my pointer finger (or i guess index is a better term, i just call it the pointer finger because i point with it), down to the z button so that i could then hit the z button AND Y button with my index finger while my middle finger took care of the R button.

dmac

Smash Champion
i use L to cancel and wd, and R to shield(so i can wd out of it easier, i can't wd out of a shield with the same button i suck at it)

Loki56

Smash Cadet
wow, i wasnt aware that you could do it with Z. I guess i never thought itd work cause it does an attack in the air. Imo it would be eaiser with Z and im gonna start using that.

kmgamer

Smash Apprentice
I L cancel with L for all of my characters except for falco. For him I use R. I don't know why, but it really speeds him up and lets me shffl moves faster.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I use L for everything. And I have a habit of pressing buttons too hard. So by the end of a smash session my left index finger (or pointer) needs to be rehabilitated and put in a cast >_> okay so not really. It just feels like that.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I Lag-cancel with L, but my friend Rag-cancels with the R button. It mainly depends on what your naturally inclined to hit when you first start it.

Rukazor

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Loki56
wow, i wasnt aware that you could do it with Z. I guess i never thought itd work cause it does an attack in the air. Imo it would be eaiser with Z and im gonna start using that.
Z is simply a shortcut for many different things. Personally, I L-Cancel with Z. I do EVERYTHING else with R. If someone were to hand me a controller with no L button, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Wave dashing, rolling, dodging, sheilding and sheild grabbing are ALL done with R.

Of course then, I jump with the stick as well, and rarely use X to take to the air. I only seem to use X if I actually want to short hop. :rolleyes:

bolaseal

Smash Apprentice
I use R for (almost) everything. I never use L except to shield wavedash, and I only use Z for jump-cancelled grabs.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
R for everything except jumpcancelled grabs (but standing grabs). I never ever use L except to "No Contest" a match.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
R for everything as well. Although, I can wavedash decently with L.

ArcFox

Smash Rookie
Hm

I use L for shield, R for air [i dont' use c stick] and both for cancelling and i use R to wd only

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
im surprised at how many people use the z button to cancel aerials. I figured that the z button was to wierd to push in for a quick cancel, but ive tried it since then and you don't have to be all that accurate to get a good l-cancel out of it.

The_Great_Demon

Smash Apprentice
i would like to aprticipate in this but i dont really undertand this concept.
i have an idea. this concept is wheere u start an attack an either press L Z or R to cancel it before
please explain thank u
If anything if u want me to make a new thread for this i will

Rye

Smash Journeyman
The great Demon:

If you use any attack in the air and land before all of the downtime has finished, you can avoid it upon landing and pressing any block button. The question is: which button do you use to block or cancel ariels with?

Linkrulzs

Smash Journeyman
I use Z for grabbing,R for blocking,R for air dodge,R for rolling,R for dodging,and L for wavedashing.I sometimes use L for grabbing and I use L for L-cancelling,(I sometimes forget to L-cancel though).

Ragnarok503

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Cap'n Crunch
I Lag-cancel with L, but my friend Rag-cancels with the R button. It mainly depends on what your naturally inclined to hit when you first start it.
eh? I cancel and tech with the L button... I really don't even use the R button. First you make fun of how I hold the controller then you lie about how I cancel!! *runs off crying*

....anyway, I thought you said you used the R button for wavedashing or something?

AtomICON

Smash Apprentice
I normally use R for everything, but my R button on my old controller started to stick after 7 years of abuse, so I switched to l canelling with Z and wavedashing with L (which I found really hard at first and still don't do all that well with)

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i use L for everything. its just my nature to use L instead of R. it feels too strange using R. and i cant wavedash with R for shiznit.

wavedash, waveshielding, L-cancelling, and anything else that requires a trigger button, i use L for it. other than JC grabs which i use Z of course.
ive heard that waveshining with R is much easier but its definitely not for everyone.

pdk

Smash Lord
i'm all R, L can go fall in a well ; )

and that rhymed!

Sailus

Smash Cadet
I use A to L-Cancel and wavedash. That might be why I do lots of Bairs and Fairs... ?_?

Top Bottom