• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LA Tourney Info / Impressions [Pit Stall video (and more)!!!]

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Los Angeles Nintendo Tourney Info

The Basics:
256 entrants compete in 1-on-1, single-elimination matches.

All items.
Only Battlefield.
4-minute TIME match.
EVERYONE uses the Classic controller provided.

The only different match was the absolute final match to determine first and second place, which was a 3-stock match with infinite time on Battlefield with items.

The top four winners were as follows:
1. David (Kirby) - $500 Best Buy and trip to NY for final 4 on March 8th.
2. Mario (Ike) - $250 Best Buy
3. David (Lucas) - $100 Best Buy
4. Carlos(?) (Mario) - $50 Best Buy

Everyone else received a $10 Best Buy gift card purely for participating. :)

Important note: Although the Orpheum Theatre website said that no lines would be formed until 12, when my friend and I got there at 10:30ish, there was clearly a line of about 120 people. At 2 o’clock (one hour before start time), they started giving wristbands to entrants.
>>> NOTE: Tournament entrants must be 18 or older with valid ID <<<
Nintendo said that “legal reasons” forced the age limit. Fortunately for the younger players, a kiosk was set up for free play and those without tournament wristbands could head there. Otherwise, they were welcome to sit in the audience and watch any of the 8 1v1 kiosks or watch the big, fatty, massive screen which was tied to the fourth kiosk (although it still had it’s normal TV for the players themselves).
-----
My Impressions:
First and foremost, the game is FUN!!! I haven’t imported the game, so this was my first hands-on experience. Not only was it a blast to play Brawl, it was fun to be around so many Smashaholics! The competition is intense because everyone is so pumped up to play, but for the most part, everyone is a good sport. I can only think of one instance in which a guy actually forfeited and refused to shake his opponent’s hand. =P

Anyway, I played 4 total matches but ended up losing after reaching the final 32.

First Match: Pit (me) vs. Pit
I wanted to try out a new character, and Pit looked like a blast from all the videos ... and he was indeed a blast to play! His air game is great and his speed helped me collect items and Smash balls. I ended up collecting all the Smash Balls and getting 3 Final Smashes off!!! I won 4-1 fairly easily. It was clear that my opponent wasn’t comfortable with Brawl and for the most part, a lot of the first-round matches included inexperienced players. Although I hadn’t played Brawl itself, I had watched countless Youtube videos and analyzed movesets, so it felt like meeting a friend I’ve heard so much about. :) The hardest thing about picking up Brawl for the first time was simply using the Classic Controller. The placement of the Z button makes it really awkward to throw and I’m not particularly fond of the low joystick placement either. Random Pit notes: you determined the direction of his arrows AFTER firing them. The direction you hold while still holding B determines the straight line it will follow, and once it’s released you can curve it as you see fit. ADDED: I almost forgot! I got a sweet spike kill when I chucked a Pitfall at him as he recovered—it spiked him straight down!!! Now THAT's what I call a Pit-fall!!!

Second Match: Wario (me) vs. Lucas
I didn’t want to limit myself to one character, even though I had such great success with Pit because I was at the tournament to have fun first and win second. So I told myself I had to try at least one other character and chose Wario. The Lucas player was clearly more in touch with the game than my first-round opponent: he abused Lucas’ powerful up smash against me and had no trouble recovering. I was getting beat around pretty badly because Wario has a very strange, unique feel. His momentum seems to act in strange ways ... and it doesn’t help that I was still getting used to the controller. Lucas pwned me with some PK Starstorm action, but I ended up dodging an up-smash and punishing him with the shoulder charge of Wario doom. Later, my opponent had no time to ponder any questions when I grabbed the Smash Ball and transformed into Wario-Man, which is AMAZING. Wario’s speed becomes ridiculous and he has power and priority out the wazoo. I easily knocked him off and ledgeguarded him with single leap FAir, making it back to the stage in plenty of time for a quick taunt. :) Most importantly, I succeed in landing a Wario Waft to smack my opponent from the 20s into the 80s! However, the match ended at 2-2 and we entered SUDDEN DEATH! I dropped down a ledge and quickly dashed into a flying FAir for a KO. Wario’s stubby legs pulled through! ADDED: I got the most brutal item combination at one point: Spicy Curry + Super Scope! I ate through Lucas's shield faster than you'd believe and straight into a good 50% damage!

Third Match: Pit (me) vs. Fox [VIDEO = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqu_8EnAeXk]
This match cracks me up—I was on the big screen! The Fox player seemed to have good Melee tournament roots, including an aversion to items. I ended up hounding him with thrown beam swords and smart bombs. Sadly, he succeeded in busting out the Landmaster on me, but I simply hung on the edge and avoided all but the last few seconds of it, when I got greedy for a pokeball and was met with a blast to the face. :( In the end, I found myself up by 1 KO with about 20 seconds left and high %, so I hung on the ledge until he neared me, then dropped down and flew under the stage to the other ledge until time ran out!!! Pit Up-B stall saves the day!!!

Fourth Match: Pit (me) vs. Mario
I never expected to get this far, so I figured I should stick with Pit, especially since I liked him so much. The Mario player was a great dodger and I had a hard time landing my finishing blows (FAir, FSmash and Ftilt for the most part). We fought back and forth for a good while. His Kat and Ana AT pwned me into high percentages, but my Final Smash helped even the score. In the end, I was up by 1 with roughly 30 seconds left and high % again, so I attempted to fly underneath the stage again. This time, I got caught on the little nub below battlefield and failed to Up-B in time. =( Battlefield seems to have a very small gap between the bottom of the stage and the death line, so I lost my advantage and the match headed to Sudden Death, where I missed a key throw after shielding his Up-B and he followed with a quick hit for the victory. Alas!

Random stuff:
The 3rd-4th place match was far more entertaining than the final match (which Kirby won with 2 stock left). In the Lucas-Mario match-up for 3rd place, the Tingle AT appeared and ... get this ... dropped 12 HAMMERS on the stage, 2 of them golden. Tingle exacts his revenge on yet another game!!! Anyway, the rest of the fight became a hammer-die-hammer-die fest which was pretty funny to watch.

A lot of people chose Melee characters, namely Fox, Shiek and Link(!?). I found this surprising because I was looking to get my hands on some new blood ... I suppose the other people thought they’d have a better chance at winning with a returner.

The saddest match ever was on the big screen: a brave guy chose random and got Olimar, but he didn’t know how to pluck Pikmin. So after the first life, he walked around the stage, failing to perform all but his dash-attack and neutral air. Nothing is sadder than a lonely Olimar. :( He tries so hard to throw invisible Pikmin, but fails.

In order of popularity, the newcomers were largely represented by Ike (big-time favorite), Lucas, Metaknight, Pit, PT and distantly Wario/Dedede/Diddy/Olimar. I was really surprised by how few people went with Dedede considering how many chain-throw videos are out there. Wario is sadly underrepresented ... he was definitely awkward for me, but I really liked his moves and his recovery (Bike -> jump -> Up-B) is top notch. Just be sure to destroy your bike (toss it offstage, beat it up or eat it) so that you can always use it to recover since you can only have one on stage at a time.

After the tournament, everything was packed up. No free play. For that matter, there wasn’t any free play during the tournament apart from the single kiosk, which I believe had priority for those who didn’t have a tournament wristband. However, it was vastly entertaining to watch Brawl in its full beauty live and cheer with the crowd as final smashes land and bombs explode. Seriously ... when an entire crowd of real people is chanting “DIDDY KONG” a la Brawl, it’s awesome. When people cheered and jeered at my under-the-stage Pit stalling, my adrenaline was through the roof!

----
Finally, if anyone has any questions, I'll gladly try to answer them! :)

**** VIDEO ADDED: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EUVZbsmNdgM [Final Match] Thanks Patriot$!

*** More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/qraptor
My friend is the PT. He recorded my 3rd match, the Pit vs. Fox (linked above), too. Enjoy!

Chrnocide

Smash Apprentice
wow. lol... I wonder if they'll have another tourny for americans when it gets released.. :[ It's still a bit early to have any good tournies methinks..

M.K

Level 55
WOW! Thanks for this! This is really interesting! Sadly, if I had gone, I wouldn't have met the age requirement (weird! The game isn't rated M or anything).

DarthBrittinias

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for posting this. I was curious how the tournament turned out. If I hadn't been working today I would have been there for sure.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
ONLY battlefield? What was the reasoning there?

There's at least 4 indisputably neutral stages (and several others that could be considered counterpick worthy).

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
were all the characters unlocked?

also, how does admission work? first come first serve? do you pay ahead of time?

Nuvia

Smash Ace
The first place winner used Kirby?

KIRBY CONFIRMED FOR TOP TIER AGAIN

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like it was very fun! What are you impressions on Diddy (from watching matches)? And how exactly does the Tingle AT work? I hadn't really heard about it, but I guess he randomly drops a lot of items?

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Dang. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Interesting that the winner was a Kirby player. Can't wait till the next tourney results!

Plutonium21

Smash Rookie
Los Angeles Nintendo Tourney Info

The saddest match ever was on the big screen: a brave guy chose random and got Olimar, but he didn’t know how to pluck Pikmin. So after the first life, he walked around the stage, failing to perform all but his dash-attack and neutral air. Nothing is sadder than a lonely Olimar. :( He tries so hard to throw invisible Pikmin, but fails.

:)
Funny as hell!

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Ah, so this is the Pit player. That really was rich. Although if I were your opponent it would have pissed me off to no end.

That really sucked what happened to the random guy...everyone in the whole place was rooting for him...but at the same time he should've known how Olimar worked, if he was a true Smash follower....

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I think about that Olimar match I think of the girls at E4All yelling "Press 1 press 1!!"

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Questions/Comments:
ONLY battlefield? What was the reasoning there?
Who knows? I suppose Nintendo was trying to choose a neutral enough stage ... especially since we had items on, they probably figured we didn't need any other randomness. =P Besides, the platforms on Battlefield really do help mix up the match as opposed to the flatness of Final D.

Were all the characters unlocked?
Nope. Starters only. After Every 5 matches, "challenger approaching" would appear with Ness, but the event staff would erase the data.

Also, how does admission work? first come first serve? do you pay ahead of time?
Admission is free and first-come-first serve! So you get a $10 gift card and a chance to play American Brawl early! Thank you Nintendo!

Sounds like it was very fun! What are you impressions on Diddy (from watching matches)?
Surprisingly enough, I only saw 1 match with Diddy on the big screen. He certainly looked like a viable character and I was tempted to choose him over Pit for Round 3. In this kind of tournament, his speed would be great for racing toward the all-important items, but his light weight would of course hurt if your opponent got a Hammer or other devastating item. Overall, Diddy, along with everybody else seemed well balanced at a first glance. The variety of the tournament was truly refreshing. :)

And how exactly does the Tingle AT work? I hadn't really heard about it, but I guess he randomly drops a lot of items?
No idea! One match, he just threw a bunch of leaves (?) and no items. They didn't hit anything, so I don't know if it has any effect at all. The Hammer-spawn was the first I had seen Tingle produce a Mass-Item type effect and it certainly changed the game. :laugh: Truth be told, I cheered really loud when Tingle appeared from the AT ... I knew he'd make the match interesting, and he didn't disappoint!

Shouldn't there have been people there screaming "Press B! Press B!" [re: Sad Olimar]
There were! I even stooped to screaming "press the button in the bottom left position on the Classic Controller!" Repeatedly! But to no avail. Perhaps the poor Olimar didn't want to be responsible for the loss of Pikmin lives?

Ah, so this is the Pit player. That really was rich. Although if I were your opponent it would have pissed me off to no end.
I know!!! I can't believe I actually pulled off the "under-the-stage Up-B stall" on the big screen! Half the crowd was cheering for me and half the crowd was cursing my name! :laugh: Either way, it was fun to get the crowd riled up and play some wiley Smash!

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
ADDED: I almost forgot! I got a sweet spike kill when I chucked a Pitfall at my opponent in the first round as he recovered—it spiked him straight down!!! Now THAT's what I call a Pit-fall!!!

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
2 questions for you, if you don't mind:

How did the matches stack up to the videos we've been seeing? Were most people at the tournament people who have already played?

Thanks!

EDIT: One more, actually. Do you know what the frequency of items was? Medium I'm guessing?

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Question to anyone who attended:

How did the matches stack up to the videos we've been seeing? Were most people at the tournament people who have already played?
Overall, the players were below the Youtube-quality. The first round featured some truly sad matches, including people who didn't know how to Up-B recover, people who couldn't use a Final Smash and people who didn't know how to use characters (see: Sad Olimar). After the First Round weeded out some of these newbies, however, the competition got steadily better.

One competitor was Ken Wang (sp?)—I don't know if this is the fabled Ken of "Ken Combo" fame, but when he lost (I think in the final 8) the crowd was audibly shocked, so I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, if you go with a good knowledge-base of DETAILED Youtube and Dojo information, you should already have the upper hand. :) But then again, you could face one of the people who has imported the game in the opening round! ;) Lucky dogs!

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Are there vids of the finals or semis?
My friend and I took some videos with his camera. Sadly, we got the less-interesting Finals (where Kirby controlled the match almost from start to finish) rather than the far more entertaining 3rd-4th match-up. If we manage to get the videos onto Youtube or Stage6, I'll be sure to post them. :)

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: One more, actually. Do you know what the frequency of items was? Medium I'm guessing?
Item frequency was on Medium. Basically, there was always at least one item on the stage ... although sometimes it was a sticker, but there were rarely more than 3. Nevertheless, item control played a huge part in the successful matches. I succeeded in using at least 3 sticky bombs and managed to get the majority of the Pokeballs/ATs, which REALLY help turn the tide in your favor.

Added to Wario section:
I got the most brutal item combination at one point: Spicy Curry + Super Scope! I ate through Lucas's shield faster than you'd believe and straight into a good 50% damage!

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
The final matches are probably best left to obscurity...

I guess the Tingle nonsense would be good for a chuckle though.

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for your questions! I'm off to bed for now, but I'll check back in the morning to answer any more. :)

Vadorojo

Smash Apprentice
does anybody know what time it ended? like how long the tournament lasted?
All right, last question before bed!

The tourney started at 3 and lasted until about 7:30-8ish. Plenty of people stuck around to the end—it's really fun to watch live Brawl with a cheering crowd! It's spectator mode at its best!!! :laugh:

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
It was about 4 hours (3-7 pm) from the first fight to the final KO, excluding the registration process and the seats filling, and the line of course...

batsman415

Smash Cadet
awww man...........so by free play for the younger players do you mean as much as you want? its really dissapointing there was an age limit...........

Top Bottom