• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag Alleviation Thread: EVERYTHING you can do to reduce lag!

Dial-Up

Smash Journeyman
No.

Just no.

No other online game has the issues Nintendo is having. It's because the Wii can walk, and the Wii can chew gum, but it cannot do both at the same time. Don't expect to get lightning fast processing out of the Wii, it just can't handle it.
When I played my friend today, zero lag. It can handle it. Just need to get a better connection, and EVERYONE recommends the adapter.

SirChubbs

Smash Rookie
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=157690

I found this rather interesting. Its rather bs, but it could work. The gist of the video link in that thread is that the parabola shaped tinfoil, when u have put it on the antena of ur router, u shud direct it in the direction of ur wii, computers , etc if its in a corner of ur house.-This makes it a directional wave, rather than circular. It should improve ur wifi, and prevent free riders.

Since my router is on tha 2nd floor of hte house and my wii is on the first this wudnt work for me.. So instead, I but a big piece of tinfoil under my wii (wii is sideways) and I had my best stretch of with anyone playing yet.

I havent tryed playin again yet though, but its worth a shot.

Juker

Smash Apprentice
Hello, when I was trying to DMZ my Wii, I noticed I had two Wii IP addresses in my client table. I'm not really sure which one to use. I only have 1 Wii at my house and my router is passworded so it's not someone else's Wii. I think it may have something to do with the lan adapter. Any thoughts?

O, and A PM would be great so I don't have to keep checking back in this thread. Thank you.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
anyone know where i can find the dhcp connection list for the linksys router. the routers a WRT54GS and the firmware verion is 7.50.0, which i think is the lastest. ive seen guides online, but only for the old firmware versions.

Best101

Smash Ace
Is the DMZ thing supposed to slow your internet connection on the computer that's doing the wireless connection? Because when I did that my internet on this computer was so slow that I had to turn off DMZ. And this is my parent's computer too, so I can't keep this computer slow.

WhiteWingDemon

Smash Cadet
Argh. I've tried everything: giving my Wii a static IP address, opening my DMZ to my Wii, and port forwarding. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm using a firewall on my computer (but that shouldn't affect the router...)?

Trozz

Smash Ace
Cordless phones which function in the 2.6 GHz range will KILL wifi signal.

It's almost as if we've gone full circle to when people were just using dial-up.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
As an aside, if you're still lagging, it might just be Nintendo's servers being bogged down.

As we unfortunately know, Nintendo has chosen to take no action on the subject of poor server performance, insisting that fewer and fewer people will want to play the game every day.

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
im trying to find my dhcp list in my router and so far no luck. im using a linksys wrt54g router, dhcp is enabled, just need to find my wii's address so i can put in in my DMZ.
I also have a WRT54G v .3 and I can't seem to locate any list either. Makes me sad panda :(.

Frames

DI
I don't know if this has been considered or not, but players using wavebirds could also cause lag on Wi-Fi. Most wavebirds operate on the 2.4 ghz spectrum, however the original few operated on a 900 mhz spectrum. This could cause interference with the wi-fi system, and could definetly be something that nintendo did not forsee, as the gamecube could only go online with a wired connection, and when they were made wavebirds, at the time they did not imagine that their next console would utilize a wireless internet connection. When the wii came out i'm sure this came up in development, but the switch from RF to bluetooth for the wiimotes, as well as the stop of production of wavebirds, would most likely stop this problem.

WhiteWingDemon

Smash Cadet
Cordless phones which function in the 2.6 GHz range will KILL wifi signal.

It's almost as if we've gone full circle to when people were just using dial-up.
My phone is 5.4 ghz O.O
Will that have an effect?

Also I have a Linksys 2.4 ghz router (type g) 15 feet away from my Wii. Then I have a Linksys Wireless Ethernet Bridge (type b) two feet from the Wii. Would the Wireless Ethernet Bridge kill my wifi?

I feel the need to mention that I have no lag at all playing online with my computer or with my PS2 (wired to the Wireless Ethernet Bridge).

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
i tried opening up the udp port using the http://192.168.1.1/, but I got an error saying connection had timed out.

Other than that, yeah, my Wii gets extremely laggy when I play online for some reason. I use the linksys wireless connection.

Klasens1

Smash Rookie
I don't think that it is the player thats always lagging. I think that nintendo just did a horrible job. This is what you get when you have a free internet. I would gladly pay a little to have a good online expierence.
Example: X-box live

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
I don't think that it is the player thats always lagging. I think that nintendo just did a horrible job. This is what you get when you have a free internet. I would gladly pay a little to have a good online expierence.
this is an excellent example. Xbox live SUCKS ****ING *** BALLS for competitive play. I'd rather **** a ****in porcupine in the *** than get xbox live again.

...but yea, maybe a little moolah to get higher-grade servers would be worth it. It doesn't help that Brawl is very time sensitive, being frame-perfect and all for pros.

Doc_Gerbil

Smash Rookie
The PS3's online service is getting better. I play COD4 on it all the time and am incredibly pleased with it, and I can't wait until Home comes out. And it's free.

Nintendo just created a *******ized online system. I have to admit, the news and weather stuff is cute but when it comes to playing a game the online is failing miserably.

There wasn't even an Ethernet port on the Wii, but they had a wireless adapter? What were they thinking?!

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
When I try the firewall thing with my router, it asks me for a screen name and password verification, but I didn't put one up and can't modify my firewall. Anybody what that's about? O___o

squix

Smash Rookie
Why is it that I can play online with my friends but not "With Anyone"? I have a linksys WRT54GS. I have tried to set my Wii to DMZ but cannot find the Wii's IP. Can anyone help? And also, how do you find the GHz of phones and wavebirds?

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
A couple of things.

The only server used is GameSpy's and it's strictly a match making server. Which means it has nothing to do with the quality of your match. The lag isn't going to magically disappear until you or your opponent does something about their connection. If it takes a while to start a game then it might be a problem with the server.

In my experience the best you can get is about 1/5 of a second of input delay. It's not a big deal and you can quickly adapt. If all your matches are already like that then there's nothing more you can do. That's the best you will likely ever get. If you don't like it and refuse to adapt then don't play online.

People often complain that Brawl has bad lag compared to most other Wii games but what they don't know is that normally games have a way to hide lag. In racing games for example, it hides lag by having your opponent continue moving even if it hasn't received information from them. It predicts what the opponent will do based off what they were previously doing. You cannot do the same for a fighting game and because of that, fighting games will always seem to have the worst lag.

Zplatter

Smash Rookie
ofc, but if nintendo put more effort into it we could easily get like 200ms lag instead of the minimum of 1000ms we have now. The only time I haven't lagged is when I played with a friend of mine that doesn't live far off from me and we both have stable connections, the reason for the small lag we had I think it was because he uses wireless connection while I have the usb adapter:p

Personally I don't know why the Wii didn't come with an ethernet port:S

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Dont keep the Wii near a router...I put my Wii in the smae roonm and have been lagging ever since

Free ZKO

Smash Rookie
I'm willing to buy a Wii USB connector to eliminate potential wireless interference and (hopefully) reduce lag. Can anyone link me to a good one? Do some work with Wii better? Do you need to change any Wii settings if you're no longer going wireless?

G3rain1

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know which ports Brawl uses? I want to just froward those ports to my Wii, DMZ is not a good solution.

Doomer

Smash Cadet
I'm willing to buy a Wii USB connector to eliminate potential wireless interference and (hopefully) reduce lag. Can anyone link me to a good one? Do some work with Wii better? Do you need to change any Wii settings if you're no longer going wireless?

the only USB to hardline converter that will work is the one nintendo makes, it is $30-$40
gamestop had one, and it reduced lag significantly. If i am mistaken feel free to correct me, but as far as i know this is the case.

sesshomaru

Smash Journeyman
Wow triple post lol.

Ok, so I have a Belkin wireless router that sits not even 5 feet from my wii, connected by comcast. I also have a sister who uses her laptop with my router. All things stated my connection should blow and when i play my friend down the street (wireless near wii) we get a little lag. BUT i have, just recently, had the elusive lagless match. 4 person basic brawl to top it all off. What does it all mean? Pure luck that 4 people had the exact config to make god love us? I just figured the wii wasn't capable of it so I gave up but now, now I want all my matches like that.

LuCas23332

Smash Journeyman
god dammit i keep lagging i tried the DMZ thing to my wii, resetted my router and i still get lag.
its like having 300 ping in cs this is ********. i dont have enough money to pay freaking 25$ also. any other ways to tweak this lag off?

edit: i have a DSL 600 kb/s speed btw its not my internet thats for sure

JDMFanatic

Smash Rookie
Even after all these lag-reducing procedures, there is still this unbearable split second lag, but I can still deal with it somewhat, until those huge lag spikes come out of no where.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
3. Don't download crap while playing Brawl and don't let others download crap, either

This is universal for any online gaming. My Team Fortress ping has gone insane whenever someone starts a bittorrent.

This helped <_<

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
A couple of things.

The only server used is GameSpy's and it's strictly a match making server. Which means it has nothing to do with the quality of your match. The lag isn't going to magically disappear until you or your opponent does something about their connection. If it takes a while to start a game then it might be a problem with the server.

In my experience the best you can get is about 1/5 of a second of input delay. It's not a big deal and you can quickly adapt. If all your matches are already like that then there's nothing more you can do. That's the best you will likely ever get. If you don't like it and refuse to adapt then don't play online.

People often complain that Brawl has bad lag compared to most other Wii games but what they don't know is that normally games have a way to hide lag. In racing games for example, it hides lag by having your opponent continue moving even if it hasn't received information from them. It predicts what the opponent will do based off what they were previously doing. You cannot do the same for a fighting game and because of that, fighting games will always seem to have the worst lag.
This. After doing everything properly to reduce latency, it ends up coming down to the fact that fighting games can't hide lag as easily as an FPS or Racing game can.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I can't connect to my router via web browser, and when I run ipconfig through the Run dialog, a window opens and instantly closes.

What's going on for me?

PriMaDonna

Smash Rookie
PK_Owl - Try just going to All Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt?

Anyways, when I type my Gateway as an url, it's the same as the one in the first post in this thread, it asks for a user and password.

Does anybody know what I should type?

Top Bottom