• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag Alleviation Thread: EVERYTHING you can do to reduce lag!

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
Wired connection barely helps anything. It is, in my opinion, not worth 25 dollars. ISP might to make a difference as someone that lives five hours away from me has a blue connection with me, while my brother and I live around thirty minutes away from one another and have a green/yellow connection.

I now use the USB connector as it seems to be the fastest and most easy solution for me. Not that this will work for everyone, because the truth is, this is a Nintendo problem and everything we do is only a band-aid over the wound. The wound is still going to be there, in thee end.

Something to note, people that use the same type of connection (example: both use wired) seem to have a better connection as well. Me and the guy that have a blue connection both use USB adapter, but my brother uses a wireless router.

Psiklone

Smash Cadet
A few weeks ago, my internet connection with Brawl diminished severely. I went from having Green connection circles to Red with everyone I played with. Now it looks like my Brawl buddies are ostracizing me.

Anyone know why my internet would slow down all of the sudden (I haven't changed anything significant since I Brawl got released)

Vlade

Social Outcast
It depends on your connection and I have to agree with that ISP theory. I live in australia with a telstra connection, the same as my friend. We play together online laglessly (with the odd occassion).
Now I played with someone else who was with a different network and the lag was unbearable. I must admit though that the USB connector certainly does help - I find it better than the router.

PKFire199

Smash Rookie
SORRY FOR THE LONG POST. I THINK THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID, HOWEVER.

PrinceMarthX and Monshou_no_Nazo are about the ONLY people that really know what they're talking about. Here's the truth:

For ultra-competitive play, Brawl online is absolutely terrible. The only REAL reason for this is INPUT (BUTTON) DELAY. Not lag. Not wifi configuration. Not port mapping/forwarding. All these other things affect NETWORK DELAY, which can be tweaked and optimized and whatever. So yes, for those of you who are experiencing actual lag (i.e., stutters that actually "freeze" the gameplay from time to time), these strategies can help. For me, however, input delay is the real killer.

(Without being too harsh, most people understand next to nothing about networking logistics and bandwidth, which is fine -- nobody said everyone has to be a networking expert. I'm no veteran expert myself, but I certainly know the finer details about how things work. Here's a fact: Online gaming like Brawl DOES NOT require tons of bandwidth. The size of the data being transmitted is very small. The issue is that this data, however small, must be CONSTANTLY transmitted for lagless play. So if your connection lags a little, you'll experience game lag as well. Just an aside.)

As far as I can tell, Nintendo intentionally programmed about 500ms of input delay. Even if you could somehow directly connect two Wiis on an ultra-high bandwidth bus, this 500ms delay would still exist. And this, sadly, is the real problem. I think Nintendo did this to help alleviate lag, which may seem like a "smart" or "noble" thing to do, but it really is no good. Here's what they were probably thinking: "Handling lag isn't easy." True statement. "Instead, let's just apply a universal delay to ride out some of the hiccups that occur from time to time." Noble intentions, but here's the problem: What if my connection is superb and lagless? I'm still being "punished" by this decision.

As a very competitive gamer, I often make split-second decisions to change my strategies based on what my opponent is doing. However, if I hit a button "just in time" to pull off a new move, it doesn't matter. I have to wait 500ms (or whatever the actual value is) before the Wii even thinks about transmitting the data to my opponent.

"So what? Half a second is nothing." Unfortunately, for me, it isn't. Without making a gross exaggeration, I can say that about 40% of all my moves in an online Brawl match are always off because of this input delay. "Too bad. You just suck at timing." For really competitive gaming against really competitive people, it's not really fair to say this. I'm constantly anticipating what my opponent is going to do, sometimes two or three "levels of prediction" deep. And (s)he's probably doing the same thing. "Okay, so just get used to it." Well, I tried. I still am. But it frustrates me to no end when nearly half of my moves are ALWAYS, JUST BARELY off. Here's another problem: Characters like Meta Knight are ENTIRELY unfair in online play. They have instantly-executing, high-priority moves that seem to hit BEYOND their polygons (collision barriers). So someone who plays as these characters online doesn't really HAVE to think that far ahead. Their moves execute much faster. I'm not here to argue that some characters are cheap, etc. etc. (though I certainly have my opinion). In offline play, this input delay doesn't exist, so it's ONLY up to how fast you can respond to determine who's a better player. But for me, who plays Ness and Lucas primarily, no matter how much I practice, I can't defeat Meta Knight or Wario because they don't suffer from input delay AS MUCH as other characters.

Anyway, just wanted to clear up the difference between lag and (input/button) delay. People who claim that they've played a match online with someone that was "just as fast as an offline match" -- yes, I've heard this MANY times -- are lying. Maybe not because they're meaning to. Maybe they can't tell the difference between 0ms and 500ms? Seems hard to not notice. SO, unless Nintendo changes this fact, Brawl will never be able to handle competitive, online gaming. And frankly, I'm disappointed. Online gaming has been around forever, and every other company/console can handle it just fine. If I have a fast, stable connection, let me enjoy TRULY lagless, delay-less play! :)

Steck

Smash Journeyman
is a low ping good or a high ping good? I just took a test and it says my ping is 20

PKFire199

Smash Rookie
The lower the ping, the better. A ping of 20 means that it took 20 milliseconds for a signal to go from your computer to the destination (and back? -- somebody correct me if I'm wrong here). The only problem with those tests is that a ping of 20 to some test server doesn't really mean too much. :-\ Every server is different, and its location and server load can affect the ping. But still, you're probably in good shape. :)

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Anyway, just wanted to clear up the difference between lag and (input/button) delay. People who claim that they've played a match online with someone that was "just as fast as an offline match" -- yes, I've heard this MANY times -- are lying. Maybe not because they're meaning to. Maybe they can't tell the difference between 0ms and 500ms? Seems hard to not notice. SO, unless Nintendo changes this fact, Brawl will never be able to handle competitive, online gaming. And frankly, I'm disappointed. Online gaming has been around forever, and every other company/console can handle it just fine. If I have a fast, stable connection, let me enjoy TRULY lagless, delay-less play! :)
500ms is (sorry) half a second. It's impossible not to notice half a second. I encourage anyone surprised by that to actually observe the passage of seconds on a clock face or a wristwatch.

Half a second is just the point where it would be bad enough I would stop taking the match seriously. Closing on a second is when I would just quit.

I can imagine my delay being as high as, oh, 250ms. That's my ultra-charitable guess. No more. Realistically I would peg it at 150ms, on average.

This is not intended as some trollish turn-around of what you've written, but I think your connection is really really bad, because you said you believe Nintendo gave everyone 500ms, and that's just not true. I can observe easily that the time between my button inputs and on-screen reaction is less than half a second. Far less.

meeleend

Smash Rookie
Here are all the possibilities to eliminate/reduce lag in online matches:

1. USB Adaptor for a Wired Connection

It's $25 and it eliminates all concern about whether or not your wifi is on the right channel, has enough strength, has too much inteference, etc. $25 and it comes with a cable. You also won't have to type in a god**** 26-digit WEP key with the software keyboard (yay!)

My Wii has a terrible tendency to lose its online settings and forget how to connect to the wifi network, meaning I'd have to reenter the WEP key and settings every time. I HIGHLY recommend a USB adaptor if you live in an area with many wifi networks or people using cordless phones.

Cordless phones which function in the 2.6 GHz range will KILL wifi signal, and don't forget that even if your household doesn't have one, your neighbors still might. All the more reason to run a wire if at all possible.

2. Open UDP ports going out or DMZ your Wii's IP address.

Most routers have a DMZ option, aka "demilitarized zone", meaning that whichever IP address has the DMZ on it will have full incoming and outgoing access to all ports.

1. Log into your router (usually http://192.168.1.1/). If you don't know your router's IP, use the "Run..." command in Windows and put in "ipconfig" and hit enter. One of the values it returns should be "Gateway" and you'll have an IP address for the Gateway: that's your "gateway" to the internet, aka your router's IP address. Put it into a browser window as the URL and hit enter.

2. Find the router's DHCP connection list. On this list, you will find your Wii (if it's on and WC24 is running, that is).

3. Copy your Wii's IP address and go to the router's DMZ section (DMZ = demilitarized zone, meaning all ports open).

4. Put the Wii's IP address into the DMZ, save the settings and reboot the router.

5. Try Brawl and see how it works.

NOTE: Your Wii's IP address can and will change if it's connecting through DHCP. This will behave as a temporary test to see if your Wii sees improvement or not.

You're basically opening your firewall to your Wii, which SHOULD mean that Gamespy's servers no longer need to proxy the stream so the two Wiis can remain connected, which is how it currently must behave if one or both Wiis is behind a firewall which normally blocks incoming connections from programs like Brawl.

To check to see if your ports are open, use this: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/NetworkTest.jsp

It's Nintendo's own network tester (you'll need XP and IE to use it, though).

This thread might also help: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=41913059

3. Don't download crap while playing Brawl and don't let others download crap, either

This is universal for any online gaming. My Team Fortress ping has gone insane whenever someone starts a bittorrent.

4. Make sure those you play with have their Wii DMZed as well!

It doesn't matter how open your firewall is if your online friends have theirs closed. This means that you're still going to be forced to proxy through Gamespy's servers on some level. Ideally, you want to establish a direct connection to your opponent, and this can only happen if Gamespy isn't needed as an intermediary to get through a firewall for either of the users.

5. Have the same ISP in your region (UNDER CONSIDERATION)

It made no sense to me why I have zero lag to a player in Maryland while I'm in New Hampshire and get lag to players in the same state.

...Until an engineer buddy of mine suggested asking what connection we have: we BOTH have Verizon DSL!

Being on the Verizon backbone is the key. It's not the connection or the distance, it's the ISP!

My advice: start looking for players with the same ISP as you. We need more confirmation as to whether or not this is the case. See what kind of connections you get when you seek players with the same ISP (like if you both have comcast or roadrunner, etc.).

I'm going to look for other players with Verizon DSL and see what results I get.

6. Play with people relatively close to you

Even on the same provider, someone across the country will lag you. I recommend using SWF's own Friend Finder to find players near to you:

http://smashboards.com/ff/

Remember, the less overall distance, the better the chance you have of getting a decent connection, so include your state/region in your profile location and look for people close to you.

7. Tell Nintendo your problems

They have a specific page just for errors and the like when playing SSBB:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/wii/wfc_error_report.jsp

This is mostly for people who repeatedly get the same error codes, but still, developers can do nothing to fix the problem without feedback from their customers.

You should also change your channel to 1 or 11 so that there will be nothing that will interrupt your game,:)

PKFire199

Smash Rookie
500ms is (sorry) half a second. It's impossible not to notice half a second. I encourage anyone surprised by that to actually observe the passage of seconds on a clock face or a wristwatch.

Half a second is just the point where it would be bad enough I would stop taking the match seriously. Closing on a second is when I would just quit.

I can imagine my delay being as high as, oh, 250ms. That's my ultra-charitable guess. No more. Realistically I would peg it at 150ms, on average.

This is not intended as some trollish turn-around of what you've written, but I think your connection is really really bad, because you said you believe Nintendo gave everyone 500ms, and that's just not true. I can observe easily that the time between my button inputs and on-screen reaction is less than half a second. Far less.
No, you're right. It probably is much less than 500ms. But again, I'm talking about input delay, not connection lag, so it doesn't matter what someone's connection speed is. You're probably right about the 150-250ms delay. Even still, it's enough to kill every game I play. I've simply resigned to not playing SSBB competitively online. It's just impossible for me.

cr00mz

Smash Cadet
i find it hard to belive that input lag is the biggest problem and not connection/internet/netwrok problems. i tred playing online 2 times (can't seem to connect too often) and it is as if i had 1000+ ping. I don't know what ping is what it stands for , what it means o whatever. But i can tell a difference between low ping and high ping. I've never had problem with playing games before online on my Wii or PC. S it's either those i connect to who have 56k modems or somethings very wrong with the nintendo servers.

Red Hawk One

Smash Apprentice
We are currently not at liberty to divulge that in
From my experience, lag is highly dependant on server traffic. I live on the west coast, so in the morning, I'm competing with the East Coast for spots, at noon the whole country's on line, and at night I've got the other west coasters- at these times, I'm lucky If I can get to the stage selection without an error code. However, around midnight/early morning, when not many people are online (with the exeption of East Asia and Australia), I can find relatively lagless matches in minutes. Anyways, I'm guessing from this that the easiest way to reduce lag would be to play at a time when as few people are clogging the servers as possible- This probably would translate into playing at midnight for most places. Anyone else notice this?

Short version- Lag's not too bad at midnight.:tired:

Foxen

Smash Rookie
I used the USB Connector since the beginning of WFC, and when I first played Brawl online with it I just wanted to throw it into the wall. I don't know why you people actually recommend that garbage but it's really an annoying piece of s***.

So I bought my DIR-615 wireless router today, and it's great. But it didn't imporove Brawls performance one bit. I still have to suffer from that 1-second lag.

I tried the DMZ thing- Nothing happened.
I called my ISP- They reduced some kind of value (don't know what) from 16 to 8 and it actually improved everything. 1-second-lag became three-quarters-of-a-second-lag or so.

It's still bad, but i noticed a small difference. I'm still not satisfied with this whole thing. Nintendo's inexperience in online-gaming! I spent a lot of money trying to get a solid online match but no...

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
From my experience, lag is highly dependant on server traffic. I live on the west coast, so in the morning, I'm competing with the East Coast for spots, at noon the whole country's on line, and at night I've got the other west coasters- at these times, I'm lucky If I can get to the stage selection without an error code. However, around midnight/early morning, when not many people are online (with the exeption of East Asia and Australia), I can find relatively lagless matches in minutes. Anyways, I'm guessing from this that the easiest way to reduce lag would be to play at a time when as few people are clogging the servers as possible- This probably would translate into playing at midnight for most places. Anyone else notice this?

Short version- Lag's not too bad at midnight.:tired:
I have. Early morning is the best (I live in Indiana) and I can play friend matches and vs anyone with no lag.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296

Most routers have a DMZ option, aka "demilitarized zone", meaning that whichever IP address has the DMZ on it will have full incoming and outgoing access to all ports.

1. Log into your router (usually http://192.168.1.1/). If you don't know your router's IP, use the "Run..." command in Windows and put in "ipconfig" and hit enter. One of the values it returns should be "Gateway" and you'll have an IP address for the Gateway: that's your "gateway" to the internet, aka your router's IP address. Put it into a browser window as the URL and hit enter.

2. Find the router's DHCP connection list. On this list, you will find your Wii (if it's on and WC24 is running, that is).

3. Copy your Wii's IP address and go to the router's DMZ section (DMZ = demilitarized zone, meaning all ports open).

4. Put the Wii's IP address into the DMZ, save the settings and reboot the router.

NOTE: Your Wii's IP address can and will change if it's connecting through DHCP. This will behave as a temporary test to see if your Wii sees improvement or not.

You're basically opening your firewall to your Wii, which SHOULD mean that Gamespy's servers no longer need to proxy the stream so the two Wiis can remain connected, which is how it currently must behave if one or both Wiis is behind a firewall which normally blocks incoming connections from programs like Brawl.

To check to see if your ports are open, use this: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/NetworkTest.jsp

This thread might also help: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=41913059
Question about this (well actually, quite a few). I have gotten online in the past with pretty much no lag, but it was luck of the draw, so to speak. At times I'd have perfect connection, could play for literally hours on end and be fine. Other times it would DC like 10 minutes into playing. I did always DMZ something, but I was never sure the right IP to DMZ. I'm not positive if anyone has a similar router or anything, but the one I have has a Dynamic IP, I think? It says the Range can be anywhere from .00 to .49. I took a screencap as well:

Router Settings?

I don't even know how helpful this is. :(

And then, what would I DMZ? The Wii's IP (over my PC's)? I haven't had a chance to find my Wii's IP yet today, as my family has me doing things, etc. etc. but yeah...

DMZ Page?

There's that, if that's any help.

Lastly, something somewhat related. Does having anything DMZ'd effect other programs. It seemed last time whenever I would DMZ something certain programs would cut out, like Windows Live Messenger and AIM. It was a hassle having to always disable/enable DMZ.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, it's greatly appreciated! :)

Fayt_0774_4133_6454

Smash Rookie
that is interesting. ive had brawl since the day after it was first released in Nebraska, and I brawled with someone in Sweden and felt little to none lag. but when i brawl my friend down the street, the connection craps out on me. i have wireless internet (COX) btw.

Rapidkirby3k

"Let's Go!"
NNID
Rapidkirby3k
Switch FC
0884-6756-7584
This important thread about preventing lag in Brawl actually saved my life. For all this time, I didn't understand too much about bandwidth, until I contacted Nintendo's technical support. I later decided to read this thread.

As it turns out, my uTorrent program kept using up my internet connection's bandwidth whenever I use the UDP port and DMZ option for playing Brawl online or just uploading another file. Therefore, I finally decided to disable uTorrent from starting up after logging into my computer.

PKFire199

Smash Rookie
Yeah, it's critical to note that bandwidth is typically the most important factor in determining whether or not your game is going to be lag free. Here's a breakdown of typical components that affect online gameplay:

1. Bandwidth: How much data you can send and receive at any given moment. This is affected by how much your ISP provides you with (which you can't change except by perhaps paying for a higher speed "tier"). It is also affected by other devices on your network (AKA torrent programs, P2P applications, downloading stuff, etc.).

2. Server Responsiveness: Depending on how many intermediary connections need to be made between you and Nintendo's servers, if any of these servers are down or slow, then you have to wait for them to respond, regardless of how fast your connection is. Also, if your opponent(s) is having bandwidth or connection issues, you have to wait for them to catch up.

3. Input Delay: This is the worst, in my opinion. This is programmed into the game at the software and/or hardware levels. The idea is to use this to "smooth" out any connection hickups, but unfortunately, it forces an artificial "lag" that can never be corrected, even if you have the fastest connection in the world and all servers are perfectly responsive. So yeah, it may not be THAT bad, but it's also impossible to make the game perform any faster than the input delays (barring any changes to the software by Nintendo, which is likely to never happen).

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
And then, what would I DMZ? The Wii's IP (over my PC's)? I haven't had a chance to find my Wii's IP yet today, as my family has me doing things, etc. etc. but yeah...
Yes, DMZ your Wii's IP address.

Lastly, something somewhat related. Does having anything DMZ'd effect other programs. It seemed last time whenever I would DMZ something certain programs would cut out, like Windows Live Messenger and AIM. It was a hassle having to always disable/enable DMZ.
This shouldn't be affecting these settings unless your PC was DMZed before and these apps needed the DMZ to work for some reason.

Do I get very vulnerable if I turn off my router's firewall?
Nah. The odds of someone attacking you are so slim that it's not even worth worrying about.

I don't see my Wii's IP on the DHCP list...
Connect to the internet with it first, then see if the IP appears.

shadowtroop

Smash Ace

crap, I dont know the username and password (my dad changed it)

mewi

Smash Rookie
How do i find the public IP address for the wii? It's Client PC IP Address is 10.1.1.2 for me.

Here's what iam talking about:
Hello, this is simple, you do not need to know it. Rather than having it set to "Obtain IP address automatically" You can create a static network address on the Wii itself in Wii's connection menu, simple enough right? =3

I am not familiar with your router, name brands would be nice, especially model numbers.

But for me, I have my router only accept various addresses that I choose, let's say I am using a linksys router, most linksys routers have an address of 192.168.1.1 and only accept a range of addresses from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255, I think I set my settings on the wii too... Hope this example helps D:

Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Wii IP: 192.168.1.212
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.000

DNS Server: 10.0.0.2

Edit: I think I misinterpreted your question lol x.x

Revven

FrankerZ
Okay, here's mah situation.

My wired router broke down back in July (first week of July) and so my internet was messed up for a few days. I set everything up with our Airport Express Card and our Wii had trouble with it until I changed the Channel to 2, so, the channel has been 2 for a month now. For the past two weeks now, my Brawl has been giving me THE most ANNOYING internet trouble ever. In 1v1s it's not as prevalent but, in 3 or 4 player matches it happens every God **** second. The gameplay freezes and I get DC'ed, no error code either. I don't know what I can do to fix this problem either, because Channel 1 and 11 didn't work for the Wii and it didn't work for our computers (four computers in the house = needing a specific channel to work with all of them). Originally, the router was on Automatic for the channel before I changed it to 2, I don't know if changing it back to that will fix anything.

Is there anything I can do? Remember, I'm running an Apple Airport Express Card here. Oh and Mario Kart Wii seems to be having the same troubles too.

Edit: Apparently, my MKWii is actually working just fine with Worldwide right now (I just played 3 or 4 races without getting DC'ed). Brawl's With Anyone mode works perfectly too by the way.

Edit 2: Just played a friend in a four player Brawl and no lag... I've never even played them yet by myself without anyone else (he had guests with him). He left shortly after. I'm going to wait for someone else to come on to try it with and see if it IS fixed... because this is weird if I fixed it just by changing it to Connection 2 on the Wii. o_O

Edit 3: Wow... wtf, I apparently fixed it. Played a lagless match with someone from Texas, didn't get DC'ed at all nor any frozen gameplay. Totally RAWKS!

Nevermind my problem, I fixed it myself.

DAYSH

Smash Cadet
i have a question, when i was in canada my moms wireless router gave me a few green connections.

but while im here using the USB cord, all i get are reds and oranges.

im guessing its my router, how can i fix it?

fusiongtxz

Smash Cadet
Ok, I recently got my wii (1 day ago), I've changed its Ip to the DMZ, and everything stated in this guide, I have a good internet connection. On my xbox360 I get NO lag. I got a wii to do gamebattles, i've had 6 matches, and every single match i've had 1-2 seconds of lag. I'm positive I changed the DMZ correctly and all that. Can anybody please help me? I've lost 5 of the 6 games due to lag, and whenever I play With Everyone its even worse. Help? D:

goku21

Smash Rookie
hey can anybody fill me in on the proxy over gamespy thingy?

i will of course open all ports to my wii tomorrow but that it works over gamespy is new to me...

Fawriel

Smash Master
Forgive me for not reading the whole thread, this might have come up already, but... yeah.

I finally had my first online match, and... it was laggy. Like, one-second delay laggy. My opponent didn't experience any lag at all, though. Is that normal? Does it hint at any possible problem that I could fix?

Rikuzu

Smash Cadet
im playing wireless , got my router firewall turned off,

is it worth to buy a lan adapter, btw is anyone here playing 100% lag free?

F3AR_101

Smash Cadet
i have cox high speed,and i bought a usb wired adapter thingy bout 4 months ago...and i dont have much lag as i used to with a wireless connection..... so good call...

Top Bottom