• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag online or just me

loik

Smash Rookie
Now i havent tried Friends play yet (had work after release, and going to bed soon) But i did have time for a few 2-min battles online and the 2 times i found people it was Laggy as hell, with about .6 secound delay per command, now is this my wireless connection (my wii is the onlything on my wireless network, everything else has a hardline) or is this just normal?

i need to know so i can see if i need to address this or not, thanks

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
I played a friend of mine who lives like 7 blocks away while talking to him on the phone..

It was still lagging. Not too bad, but yeah, i think its just nintendo's fault.. i haven't seen anyone mention they play over wi-fi without any lag.

Kamin

Smash Rookie
My friend lives about 20 min from me. I play him with no lag at all. The dot next his name is Blue so I have the best connection with him. And my cousin who lives in MD I get no lag with him either. The dot next to his name is green. Now people all the way in Cali I played...super lag the dot was red for them. So yeah it is all about distance.

Viking Ness

Smash Journeyman
I can only hope that it's been so laggy because the game just came out and there's just a ton of people trying to play online at the same time. Hopefully it'll get better in a couple weeks

exan

Smash Rookie
Nintendo will more likely improve the service. I think they just didn't expect such online popularity.

A Diamond For Disease

Smash Journeyman
I played a friend who lives like 10 mins away and there was some lag but my internet is bad cause we have this guy who lives down the street from us and he is high jacking the bandwidth, my friend works for the cable and he found this out the other night, he's probably doing something illegal d***head.

jamai

Smash Cadet
So far my experience is completely different from many people on here.

I disagree with the statement distance = everything. From my experience and anyone else who lives where I live, it means very little. Location = everything. As I understand it we connect to WIFI servers, so the connection is from me to the server, and then to the person I'm playing.

Since I've been trying FCs the largest lag has been with with people who live down the street, and the smallest lag with people who live across the continent by large urban centres like Northeast US and Southwest US. Granted everyone we play with lags a LOT and wifi is virtually unplayable, I played someone in the Dominican Republic and there was actually very little lag, while people around me (Southcentral Canada) lag a tonne with each other.

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Nintendo will more likely improve the service. I think they just didn't expect such online popularity.
Would be nice ;P

I play a bunch of folk from all over the US (Lousiana/Arizona/California and such) and have the same steady lag of about .5-.8 delay, one person in particular (not sure of location) lags the games like hell, usually 1-1.5 delays with occasional spikes. While I did expect it, Im hoping it gets improved.

GAIDS

Smash Rookie
I'm near SLC in Utah, we have a couple of Wii's in our house. They are stationed about 50 feet apart from each other and it lagged pretty bad sometimes. Playing with random people online was even worse.

DrewMoney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banditandrew
3DS FC
3540-0555-2542
I played a friend of mine who lives like 7 blocks away while talking to him on the phone..

It was still lagging. Not too bad, but yeah, i think its just nintendo's fault.. i haven't seen anyone mention they play over wi-fi without any lag.

the first time we played against our buddy like 4 blocks away it was very laggy...then we took like a2 hour break and played later and it wasnt that bad, give it some time and I think the lagg wont be as bad

CitizenSweeps

Smash Rookie
I was playing With Anyone just now. Got dropped twice, once during the match, once in the practice stage. I've a solid wi-fi connection and I'm confident it wasn't its fault.

My first With Anyone match (haven't done With Friend yet, my friend got DRE'd) I literally said "Holy lag, Batman." The frame rate is usually fine for me, but as everyone else has said, there's a definite delay between input and response. For a Sheik player like me, this is extremely frustrating as I use a lot of dash A attacks, which become very hard to time properly.

I am happy, though, that I haven't been completely throttled yet. I was sure I'd get online and realize that I was good among my friends, but awful among everyone else.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I'm hoping it gets better... the problem isn't necessarily lag, but I haven't even been able to play a With Anyone match online. I either can't find anyone (weird...) or I get booted off with an error code. I'm assuming this is because of the amount of people online, but this could be my internet connection also. Thoughts?

CitizenSweeps

Smash Rookie
I'm hoping it gets better... the problem isn't necessarily lag, but I haven't even been able to play a With Anyone match online. I either can't find anyone (weird...) or I get booted off with an error code. I'm assuming this is because of the amount of people online, but this could be my internet connection also. Thoughts?
I was having trouble finding people up until about 11 last night.

Keep at it and you'll probably find someone eventually. If you're getting an error code, take it to nintendowifi.com and find out what it means, you might be able to fix it.

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
Yesterday at about 3/4 p.m. I decided to play against my neighbor.

I play on the right side of my house, and he plays on the left side of his (yes the closest way possible too.) But for some reason he has a DARK RED connection icon. Now, I know we have good internet connections because we play on xbox live together all the time... we have great connection there.

(And it's definitely not me, cuz I've had great connection on xbox live with 2 360's online and 3 computers online all running at the same time.)

The Kitchen Sink

Smash Rookie
Mine like pauses the entire game for several seconds intermittently, also has the input delay, and drops me occasionally. :/

It's quite frustrating.

Top Bottom