• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag & Portforwarding

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Alright.

I'll start off by saying currently I play using a WiFi signal from my WiiU to my router which is about 18 inches away. I've been playing this online for a bit and got tired of "people being so laggy". Then I had a thought maybe it was me despite me having a good internet connection. About 20 download, 4 upload.

Then I realized this was a new internet and I forgot to re-forward my ports and junk. so I got into forwarding my ports suggested by nintendos customer Help page.

So I created a static IP for my Wii U's console and forwarded all the ports on that custom IP address. For a while I was placebo'd into thinking my connection definitely changed but after dumping a dozen more hours into it I realized it's about the exact same thing as it normally is.

My next plan was to figure out if my ports were forwarded at all so I remember there being websites that would check if your ports were open...so I went to this website to check:

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

It declared my ports NOT being open on the WiiU IP Address which kinda put me back to step 1 not knowing what to do. I even tried setting my WiiU as a DMZ Host and checked that website and still nada. So now I'm hoping someone that's been-there/Done-that can help me fix this.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I wouldn't mess with Port Forwarding too much for Smash lag. Gonna quote myself from another thread for what I did when I was still on WiFi only. I would also just let your IP remain dynamic, but that's just me.

If you have to play on WiFi, go into your router settings and look for QoS Setup. Chances are there is a pre-fabricated list of different applications added in by default by the manufacturer. I'd suggest clearing the whole list (because they put in QoS rules for crap like Skype and WoW). You should be able to add a rule for currently connected devices. I'd create a rule for your Wii U and make it the highest priority you can. Then add rules for other home devices and make them a lower priority.

Before I got an ethernet adapter this helped me immensely. If you do get an ethernet adapter, you'll have to recreate your Wii U rule to the adapter's MAC address (It'll appear in connected devices) because QoS will still apply. After this it felt like I was playing offline, and I definitely don't have the best internet connection.

Top Bottom