• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Las Vegas Smash - Multiple Video Game Bars

Mahie

Smash Lord
sorry i don't know how to play :( items are super fun IMO

part of my skills is being a "beam swordologist" I'd sure like to show them off, but if you don't want to see I understand. Why eliminate an element of randomness that ends up creating excitement?
It doesn't create any excitement, just a feeling of unfair while it is about testing your actual skills.
Items were used in competitive smash a long time ago, and I'm sure that if you're interested you could dig up debates as to why or why not use them, but the fact is that no one uses them in competitive settings, although it's fine for matches like yourself vs Battlecow where it's your own rules, anyway.

I'm looking forward to where this all goes. It's quite likely that you are going to lose at first, but given your experience in Poker, you'll probably be able to sit down and learn the lessons from it, I guess.

It also makes sense that you're not willing to do any more than a minbet, but it's quite a letdown after all the confidence from the first few posts. Whilst the other party considers itself better, you also came in with that particular claim, so I don't see how you're any different and how that should influence your bet, unless of course, you are bluffing, in which case, you should really think about it all twice.

Yes I am trying to provoke you so that you do bet, because let's face it, it's going to be hilarious to watch regardless of the outcome.

Edit : On the topic of randomness of items, while it is acceptable that Poker has a random side to it, keep in mind that is a game that's played longterm, while smash events, tournaments, etc, are really one time only things, and careers are short, if I dare say. Given that fact, people don't want to waste the rare events they get by losing to a probability.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Not to bust your bubble or anything but EVERYONE is good with a beamsword. Its too easy to use. Fans better though. Cept you have to be malva to use it.

I think I've mentioned this before but we did a Mega FFA at Apex (items on very high), and isai insisted we leave hammers on. He then proceeded to kill everyone who picked up hammers lol. too good.
hmm how did he kill hammer guys? I know some ways to do it but they are kinda lame/situational.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
hmm how did he kill hammer guys? I know some ways to do it but they are kinda lame/situational.
the game I remember was on congo, and if i recall correctly it was timing between hammer hits or using hitboxes that get under it (maybe fox dtilit?). It wasn't something like kirby rock. It was really impressive. Like you pick up the hammer, everyone runs away. Except malva. Like when Neo decided to turn and fight the agents.

TheMagistrate

Smash Apprentice
yeah but he's not willing to bet money lol, did you read his last post?

He's willing to bet $20 on an items match, and playing an items match costs most of us more than $20 in shame and disgust. He also thinks that luck is a desirable factor in a competitive game
so cold, but so true.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
I see a lot of people here are talking "smack"
Yep. thats what 90% of smash boards is......... and yeah, you are part of the minority that actually likes to use items. I have tried to start many conversations about the tempo of a match with items on (very low). I like them to break the stalemate/camping by the edge of the map..... so that territory control becomes a bigger part of the game too.

And as for ScuffleCalf (aka Battlecow).... I'd take him at a money match any day on a console, he's a Keyboard jockey tho, so he aint using a n64 controller against you. =P =P =P. Come back to Cali and Come At me bro!!! lolz

Battlecow

Play to Win
yo blade, how much do you want to MM for next time we see each other? This "keyboard jockey" has a thing or two to teach you.

(AKA I play 90% console these days and I'm much better at it than I am online)

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
yo blade, how much do you want to MM for next time we see each other? This "keyboard jockey" has a thing or two to teach you.
Sounds chill. I'm down for 50-100 on a best of 3. More if its a 12 character battle. And ScruffleCalf.... are you still perfecting that DK>kirby counterpick secret tech hyrule??? Cuz last time I didn't learn anythang from yah except for your love of bob dillpickles!! or have you actually started learning how to play?? =P =P =P peace foo

Battlecow

Play to Win
$100 on a best of 3 and then as much as you want on a 12 char battle sounds chill. Throw in a free copy of your comic and I'll throw you a couple stocks ;)

honestly IDK when I'll be in the bay area next though. Could be a while unless you're planning a trip to the midwest.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL KK. I actually might go on a trip around the states when I'm done with my current contract and got my EP on lock down. You're in chicago right??? thats a huge Spoken Word area, so i'll have to travel through. Thanks for the paying for my future hotel rooms!!!!!

Sangoku

Smash Master
There's also a very good guide on gamefaqs explaining why items are bad for competitive and high level of play. Of course, for casuals like blade or battlecow, it doesn't matter.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
Dawg, I aint trying to go international with the beef, but I aint casual... and scrufflecalf aint on my lvl. Items are just fun, and I know they shouldn't be in tournaments...... but who can pass up an interesting bet?? For tourneys I buckle down and train like anyone else. Come to Cali!!!!

A true Warrior:
-Any Place
-Any time
-Any opponent
-No rules
-No worries

why are you afraid of items?? at the end of the day, you can argue why they are bad, but they are a part of the game, and I'd rather master the game instead of mastering some official rule set. Beyond that..... yeah, tourney rules are chill..... I just wish peeps would man up and stop acting like items are these forbidden fruit.

kys

Smash Ace
I feel obligated to say this, as obvious as it is.

Items are stupid because of the random spawn nature. If someone can't understand why that defeats the entire purpose of having a competitive match, then I DUNNO WHAT TO SAY.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
Thats the point though. If you could automatically predict the item (location, not timing, timing can be predicted).... it wouldn't be any fun, just like spawn camping in a fps. Its the fact that they are a huge shift in power and territory/speed becomes a huge factor in deciding who gets the advantage from them. I personally think that items mix it up, and force players who don't like them to be aggressive. If someone is too passive and camps while items are on, they have a much less likely chance of being close to the drop, which makes sitting still not a viable strategy. Any way you look at it, its still a factor to the game, which shouldn't be ignored.

NOTE: I AM NOT TRYING TO CHANGE TOURNAMENT RULES/SUGGESTS THAT ITEMS ARE BALANCED. I ENJOY THE TOURNAMENT RULE SET WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO A TOURNEY!!!

I think as adding in a random element to competition, they make a much more interesting playing field, and make much more interesting bets. Get off my back bros.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I may like items, but rofl @ "tru warrior!!!1!1" when talking about a video game, get that Kage **** out of here

Also if you're not trying to get items into tournament there's no point talking about it. Friendlies are for fun, and fun is subjective, so if people don't find itemd fun then too bad

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
2 options. choose 1.
Either accept all challenges.....

or...... complain about the ones you don't agree with and sit on your butt

How I see it, most people do a lot of complaining. When really, if you completely elapse someone's skill, then there shouldn't be a way for them to win. So prove it, instead of just telling someone they are bad cuz they play a different rule set then you.

Accept the handicap of the situation too. I've bet people on their laggy tis. crazy item rules. stupid restrictions or random life counts. Over come these odds, don't just claim they are wrong for having a weird terrain to fight on.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Blade, if it's determined that the use of items is not skill but sheer luck, then it's not a good thing to have in competitive settings, and being able to use them is just a given for any good player anyway, that's absolutely not the point. You won't be able to beat someone that beats you without items just because you turn them on, in fact it'll probably be worse, except that one ****ty time where you'll get lucky.

And if you think Battlecow can't play with a controller I suggest you take a look at recent premier tournament results.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I may like items, but rofl @ "tru warrior!!!1!1" when talking about a video game, get that Kage **** out of here

Also if you're not trying to get items into tournament there's no point talking about it. Friendlies are for fun, and fun is subjective, so if people don't find itemd fun then too bad
The wise has spoken. And Mahie too.

Blade: if you could read between the lines, you'd notice I was kidding. And if you could read below the lines, you'd see I included two specific people in the list, which emphasizes the fact I was kidding.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
No, I do think using items require skill, using them and disarming. I never said they were fair, but how they are used is a skill. People talked about "Omg isai destroyed people holding hammers"..... kk, so what? I made a post called "how to disarm a hammer" like 2 years ago. All it ended up being was a conversation about how items aren't fair, because everyone here gets butt-hurt over the idea of people actually turning on items and calling it a competitive environment. GET OVER YOUR OWN RULES BEFORE YOU DENY THE KNOWLEDGE YOU COULD OBTAIN WITHOUT THEM!!!!!

And I have played Scruffle Calf, thats why I'm not afraid of throwing out a 100 buck match against him on the board. I aint afraid of no cow with an n64 controller. =P =P =P =P

@Sangoku - don't care, sarcasm isn't a font on the internet.

Battlecow

Play to Win
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL KK. I actually might go on a trip around the states when I'm done with my current contract and got my EP on lock down. You're in chicago right??? thats a huge Spoken Word area, so i'll have to travel through. Thanks for the paying for my future hotel rooms!!!!!
I'm in champaign, but I'm gonna go to college in chicago starting in a couple weeks, so if you're doing it during the school year, hit me up

And it's true, blade has beaten me before. We'll have to see if I've improved on console since then. Ballin, stay out of this.

Just to be clear, this is dreamland, no items. I'll be happy to do items friendlies, though; I like shenanigans as much as the next guy (OK, well, not quite as much. But some).

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Blade I challenge you to a match of hand gernade hot potato, winner takes all of losers assets. As a true warrior you are honor bound to accept my challenge

:phone:

BryanMicon

Smash Cadet
Spoken word is like hip hop influenced freestyles mostly. Narratives about random topics.... for me they are mostly political or doomsday scenarios just provoke thought.

Whats a small bet for you (cuz you're a poker player and all??) and whats a fair line?? like a line of people betting and challenging or what?? sry to ask about the terminology......

ALSO, I like playing with items!!!!

like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWZelu4m1cY

Aut0matic

Smash Rookie
LOL the legendary Riff Raff! He's so bad yet so hilarious; don't know if he's self aware of that.

So I am the friend of Blade689 that would also like to challenge you. I'm cool with items but you should emit more of the cheaper ones like beam sword and bombs. I know you said you got sword skillz but so does everybody else because it's a god damn LIGHTSABER. I'll still fight you anyways due to the honor-bound samurai code. To all the haters: YOU RACK DISCIPRINE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbORXEmbnk

Sangoku

Smash Master
Blade: lol at people using "it's internet, everything is different" as an excuse. Tone is something you can implement with writing, haven't you read any book? Internet or not has nothing to do with it, it's still someone writing something...

Anyway I'm out of this all talk thread. If something ever happens I'll check it again.

:phone:

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
@BryanMicon: Yeah, me and automatic are down to go out to vegas if the stakes are high enough for gas moneyzzzzz. And.... my spoken word is kind of like that post... but more like Aesop Rock.

Sure thang Battlecow, I'd like to leave all the tourney stages on the possible tho... not just dream land.Items off......... find I guess..... (jk jk)

@sangoku: Don't give two $h@t$ about how you want to justify it. I don't have a history of dialogue with'yah and maybe your swisss army knife wit isn't as sharp as you'd like it to be. Anyone can call out "Don't take me seriously, I was being sarcastic" after they realized it didn't translate.

mikeduncan23

Smash Apprentice
BryanMicon,
I'm getting on a flight to Vegas within a couple hours and will be there this weekend. I havent read through this thread in awhile, but if your still looking to MM people I would love to be the inaugural match. Assuming the BS with items and coin insert machines got sorted out. PM me

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Blade: lol at people using "it's internet, everything is different" as an excuse. Tone is something you can implement with writing, haven't you read any book? Internet or not has nothing to do with it, it's still someone writing something...
I like this quote. Being a noob to the internet makes people easy targets, but after awhile we learn and all become trolls. Even then, the rules of writing still does apply. Some people forget this, which can cause internet drama. My personal take on the internet, I personally find it hard to call anyone your "true" friend unless you've met them face to face in real life. Even voice chats don't count :|

Top Bottom