• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

laserless falco

falcojackolantern

Smash Cadet
all these falcos these days use lasers so much and it can be boring after a while. i have been trying to make my falco playstyle with no lasers, had anyone else done this?

Moxin

Smash Apprentice
That's a good idea.... in training. Playing without lasers takes away too much of the offensive pressure that makes falco viable. Without lasers, you have no way to MAKE them approach. Since falco is a fairly slow character, lasers are what help him regulate his opponent and also help competent falcos get reads by varying laser pressure. Lasers go far beyond that though, aiding in both defensive play and edgeguarding, and just controlling space in general.

I can understand regulating your laser use to avoid spam, but really if you have the best projectile in the game you should use it to its full potential. Otherwise, you can't be a competitive falco.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
I agree with Moxin; it's a good idea only for training and get you using other moves in different situations. But stripping Falco of his lasers is like getting rid of a ridiculously awesome n-air.

First off, you can COMBO with Falco's lasers. I mean, wtf? And it also has the added function of completely messing with people's flow when they're dash dancing or doing anything from afar; as they try to regain control, you simply land and cancel your laser-gun-put-away lag and do whatever you want, whether it's more lasers or even an f-smash.

PLUS, lasers have transcendent priority which means they go through basically anything, and the only real way to counter them is to use shine or powershield - regular shielding just makes it go away, and you can get stuck inside of it against a half-decent Falco if you can't deal with the pressure.

Laser are basically a far-reaching nair though it may come out a little slower (I don't see any frame-data on Falco anywhere :p), but it has an innate high priority due to being a projectile, and it has no KB so it's viable as a "jab-cancel" as well at any percent.

There's a lot of other good uses for it, too. Oh yeah, ****** recoveries. That too. And other stuff. I mean, you can go no-lasers if you want, but, unless you're masochistic, at higher levels of play, the laser is pretty much required.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
literally no lasers at all? margin for error becomes very small. you would have to be extremely crafty in your approaches and work soooo hard not to get grabbed. that said, i try to limit how much i laser b/c i think it will help me get better at other things faster, but i doubt not lasering at all is viable, esp on large maps

edit: although falco can crush on some of the small platform stages w/o using lasers much

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
haha i think this is a great idea for training and finding out when to shoot lasers. but they are too good not to use. mastermoo420s earlier post basically covers it all. there defensive and offensive and everything in between

TheGoat

Smash Ace
i know why lasers can be good..i just think they are boring.
I guess play friendlies against opponents that aren't that good. Or go against lv 9 cpus, they will powershield every single laser and make you cry and stop SHLing.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
But you're not Mang0.

Plus, if the condition of Mango's victory was that he did not use lasers at all, he would definitely lose. Lasers are such an integral part of Falco's gameplay that taking it out is just ridiculous. It's like not L-canceling when you're doing an aerial for anybody; if you've played the game long enough, you end up doing it automatically or else it feels weird.

falcojackolantern

Smash Cadet
falco with no lasers is still probably better than mario by himself. i have watched apex crew and mango beat hungrybox with mario. stop telling me how to play i didnt ask for advice

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
me and my friends tried having falco dittoes with no lazers a while ago like ICG had suggested. and honestly, after maining falco for a year and a half or so. i could not play a whole match with a lazer.
not because i sucked. but because i could not force myself to not shoot lazers.

while playing i shoot lazers almost without realizing it. its like a second language to falcos.
well... more like a first language to falcos.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
falco with no lasers is still probably better than mario by himself. i have watched apex crew and mango beat hungrybox with mario. stop telling me how to play i didnt ask for advice
LOL you're dumb.

falcon would **** all over falco if he didn't use/have lasers.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
I play a no laser falco every once and a while, my lasers aren't very good (compared to the rest of my falco game) so I wanted to see how much of a difference it made playing without lasers.

I ***** just as hard (or harder) than I did with lasers. I think it's only because I was more conscious about my approach/shield pressure/games (like fade away nair->punish their oos option mm yummy).

BUT I know with lasers I could be better. So Im just trying to put it in little by little where it really counts because I get punished hard for my haphazard lasering if the opponent is as good as me or better.

LOL I even played some friendlies vs my friends with no lasers/no shine. UTILT FTW!

Moxin

Smash Apprentice
If your goal is to make falco a low tier character, then this is a valid statement. Unfortunately, you aren't MaNg0, so you will unsuccessfully be playing a low tier character.

loci

Smash Rookie
If your goal is to make falco a low tier character, then this is a valid statement. Unfortunately, you aren't MaNg0, so you will unsuccessfully be playing a low tier character.
You think a laserless falco would drop straight to low tier? I'm thinking more bottom of high/top of mid but I'm not sure.

Moxin

Smash Apprentice
You think a laserless falco would drop straight to low tier? I'm thinking more bottom of high/top of mid but I'm not sure.
Falco's approach without lasers is really easy to read and counter, he would have a ton more bad matchups if he had no safe way to approach/ make them approach. All they would have to do is play patient.

D

Deleted member

falco is a high tier w/o lasers, and a top tier w/ lasers. it's great for training and awful for tournament.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
stop telling me how to play i didnt ask for advice
I wasn't giving advice; I was simply telling you how ******** it is to try and play without lasers for the purposes of winning. Heck, lasers are fun, too, seeing as how they can combo so well.

But then again, you're playing against just your two friends for fun. In that case, you can just give up on all sorts of techskill and give up worry about the tier list and just do whatever you want.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
It's really good for training.
couple people saying this, which is partially true, because yeah you get good practice on your combo game but then when it comes down to tourny you'll probably still not be shooting lasers. tourny takes a lot of habit to be able to play comfortably i'd say. i shoot so many lasers in friendlys but in tournament i definitely shoot a lot less from nerves, so i can only imagine how someone that doesn't use them in friendlies wouldn't ever in tourny.

but regardless this guy doesn't care for tourny so anything anyone says is meaningless cause it's all for fun in his case, or atleast that's what he's telling us :embarrass

melee isn't all about what looks cool. a lot of people could care less if they have techskill as long as they can win competitively. everyone has their own version of 'fun' in this game.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
Falco's approach without lasers is really easy to read and counter, he would have a ton more bad matchups if he had no safe way to approach/ make them approach. All they would have to do is play patient.
It's just as easy to not approach though. Falco is great at waiting and forcing them to approach (although, they way he does that is will lazers, so my argument is slightley invalid)but i bet also if you were to show of some tech skill mid match your opponant would be pretty willing to approach you, then you could read them/punish ect.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
*Reads thread title*
They have those? Lmfao at Falco's laserless approach options...

Moxin

Smash Apprentice
Well what I was getting at was if they were at all patient they would have no reason at all to approach and therefore wouldn't really get punished with cc shine, etc.

And I was exaggerating in calling him a low tier to match the mario reference, but still, falco without lasers sucks compared to falco with lasers.

Fade2Nothing

Smash Rookie
no no its viable guys he just has to find a way to control the same amount of space that lasers control through a different move
oh wait...
nope use lasers

Top Bottom