• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lately I've been thinkin about somethin important...

mikeb2010

Smash Apprentice
I need to some help making a decision. I don't know what to do. I really have been playing with Ike since the game came out and I am pretty good with him. But when it comes to easily winning, understanding advanced techniques and developing a good metagame, I see that it is much easier to win with Sonic and Diddy Kong on the contrary to Ike. I love Ike, but I feel that at heart, because I play so natural with Sonic and Diddy Kong, these characters should be my mains. Should I make the switch? Should I totally give up on the Fire Emblem lord? Should I just let all that time I spent training and winning with Ike fall into my past memoirs focus on becoming an extravagant and threating player with the "Blue Hedgehog" and the "Banana King"? Help me make a decision.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm never switching my main and no offense, but I don't like people who do. It;s basically just giving up and throwing in the towel, which I consider losing and I hate losing. Perhaps you feel you feel you have a better metagame is because they're faster and easier to combo with, which I feel all the time. If I play a heavy character I feel like there aren't any combos and that I can't see how anyone can be good with them, but obviously people are. I say keep working on him

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I main Ike and Diddy Kong. (How does one main two characters? I don't know. I just do.) When the game first came out, I was playing with everyone trying to see who I wanted to main and spent a good time playing with Ike. Then I found out about Diddy and played with him as my main. His features made him feel so natural to me. I think around May I went back to Ike and have been tremendous with him. Way better than when the game first came out and winning most matches. Every now and then after going back to Ike, I go and play with Diddy but it's just not the same. It feels like I lost most, if not all, the combo ability I once had with Diddy.

All that is to say that whoever you pick must be a solid decision because you might not be able to go back to your original character. I like Ike because I win a lot of matches with him and I don't think I could win those same matches with Diddy. I think I kill people more with Ike but I can combo and build damage better with Diddy. In the end, I really like Diddy Kong more than Ike. Sorry, but I lack any knowledge of Sonic and I'm also sorry if I just compounded your problem which I more than likely did.

Adam_

Smash Apprentice
I need to some help making a decision. I don't know what to do. I really have been playing with Ike since the game came out and I am pretty good with him. But when it comes to easily winning, understanding advanced techniques and developing a good metagame, I see that it is much easier to win with Sonic and Diddy Kong on the contrary to Ike. I love Ike, but I feel that at heart, because I play so natural with Sonic and Diddy Kong, these characters should be my mains. Should I make the switch? Should I totally give up on the Fire Emblem lord? Should I just let all that time I spent training and winning with Ike fall into my past memoirs focus on becoming an extravagant and threating player with the "Blue Hedgehog" and the "Banana King"? Help me make a decision.
If by any chance your that mmoyn kid then yes, switch characters.

jyuuberu

Smash Journeyman
I'm never switching my main and no offense, but I don't like people who do. It;s basically just giving up and throwing in the towel, which I consider losing and I hate losing. Perhaps you feel you feel you have a better metagame is because they're faster and easier to combo with, which I feel all the time. If I play a heavy character I feel like there aren't any combos and that I can't see how anyone can be good with them, but obviously people are. I say keep working on him
I don't know. I've switched characters several times since I first got the game. When I first got it I was playing a zero suit, zelda and rob. I still play rob and now I play diddy and game a watch. Working on a Yoshi but it's hard...

When I go back and play them I realized why I switched in the first place. Zero Suit is a very good character but getting kills was frustrating for me (yes I know bair, up air and side b) and with zelda her aerial game just didn't feel fluid enough for me, when all your air moves are potential kills it's hard to juggle and combo with them. But when I play game and watch or diddy it's just as fun but they just feel more fluid.

So I don't think switching characters means you have a defeatist attitude but that your play is evolving into different characters.

@OP: Play with the characters you feel are best for you.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Switch characters depending on how fun you think it is to play with them; how well you feel their style fits you, not who you win with.

I don't understand peoples' very strong connection to a "main" character, but that's because I usually play with 5-6 characters as my "mains."

Yanki

Smash Cadet
If u feel confort whit this 2 characters u need to switch, is like say, ye i can defeat a lugui whit DDD just using grabs, that is easy ye i gona change to DDD, but later u gona face others chars and ur game gona be down, if u think as diddy as ur new main, welcome to the better character ;).

IDK

Smash Lord
depends on how serious you are. If you really want to go to tourneys and win and stuff like that and you truly are better with fasties, switch to diddy or sonic. Diddy's better than sonic tho. :p If all you want to do is have fun, stick with Ike.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
You sound like a kid. If you don't play competitively then who cares. Play with anyone. IF you play to win, then pick snake and jab A. If you play sonic then LOL

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You sound like a kid. If you don't play competitively then who cares. Play with anyone. IF you play to win, then pick snake and jab A. If you play sonic then LOL
Say that to any of the good sonic mains out there and watch them do the legendary face palm gesture.

You don't have to play as Snake or MK to win a tournament. I mained Wario before he was considered good and I play him the most because that's who I am the best with, not because he is uber tier.

Count

Smash Champion
For me, there are two things to do..test out characters and play to the one that most fits YOUR style that YOU can succeed with. You only can decide that.

Two-Play with the character that you think is the most fun..with enough practice, you can be effective with any character.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Say that to any of the good sonic mains out there and watch them do the legendary face palm gesture.

You don't have to play as Snake or MK to win a tournament. I mained Wario before he was considered good and I play him the most because that's who I am the best with, not because he is uber tier.
You won't win a competitive tournament with Sonic. End of discussion.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Only if playing as Ike is no longer fun for you. From the sound of things, you are really hesitant to drop him. As we all know, Ike is low tier but that doesn't mean he's impossible to win with, it's just an uphill battle for those that chose to go that route. If you think that the struggle is worth it then go for it but if you don't, go ahead and change mains. Also, if you decide to do that, do me a favor and don't pick someone like Metaknight or Marth. :laugh: We have enough of "those" players as it is.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Just play all three of them. (Sonic, Diddy and Ike)
It's alright to have a number of mains : D

Personally, I've always mained Diddy and Dedede, and have begun to dable with my Melee Main, Falco, in brawl as well.

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
In all seriousness, a lot of people play with Sonic and when I think about it, Sonic rarely wins. Just for the sake of consideration, Sonic's final smash can kill everyone on the stage in its duration but Sonic doesn't usually win even with the help of a Smash ball. I have never lost when I kill everyone with a Smash ball.

I'm just saying. Maybe it's just the people I play.....

Top Bottom