• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lava and You: A Marth's Guide to Norfair

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yea I used to use that for buffering tilts/grabs/jab but it's actually not very useful haha. You can just airdodge instead. >_>

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
*EDIT: Another cool norfair trick you might wanna add. If you have a higher port than the other person (i.e you are p4 and the other guy is p1), when the huge lava wave comes (the one where the hut appears) try to get the grab. It kills pretty early and you won't eat any knockback, but you'll take 16%. Definitely worth it in most cases. If it doesn't kill your opponent it'll bring him to the top and put him in a bad position which you can abuse.
I'll add this in on my next update.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Cool, it's pretty easy to land considering most people's tendencies to shield when the wave comes.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Raziek work with shaya on brinstar, and get a hold of me for orpheon I love orpheon in general.

also this is random but add you can tech the safety hut. It saved me once it was kinda funny, its unlikely it will make much of a difference but every little bit helps

oh and great guide

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Raziek work with shaya on brinstar, and get a hold of me for orpheon I love orpheon in general.

also this is random but add you can tech the safety hut. It saved me once it was kinda funny, its unlikely it will make much of a difference but every little bit helps

oh and great guide
Alright, will do. And yeah, I'll add that in with Bengalz's bit on the next update.

clowsui

Smash Legend
steel samurai almost beat kel on this stage in pools, **** was ridiculous

ofc since kel cp'd and he is master of jank along w/ OS steel didn't win

marth's up b ledge snap makes edgeguarding a little more versatile than i thought

Adapt

Smash Lord
I always thought Norfair was a good stage for YOU, rather than Marth in general Raz... I still CP it against other Marths, but I steer clear of it when up against you :p

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Where did you come up with looking into Norfair Raziek?

I actually mentioned Norfiar being a legitimate CP to diddy in a thread before, and people were like hey we should start looking into unorthodox stuff.

Hurraayy.

Raziek is da bess.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Where did you come up with looking into Norfair Raziek?

I actually mentioned Norfiar being a legitimate CP to diddy in a thread before, and people were like hey we should start looking into unorthodox stuff.

Hurraayy.

Raziek is da bess.
It came up in the meta-game thread when Shaya mentioned that he hated fighting Dedede on it. (I think) Lord Chair suggested a thread be made on it, I saw it and eagerly volunteered. Norfair is my favorite stage, for sure. I use it all the time, and as you can see, I know it pretty well. xD

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I was showing this to brent ( socal MK falco player) at a tournament. he looked like he was about to stop using MK on CPs and start using marth on norfair when he realized you can stay anywhere on the stage which is somthing no other character can legally do IIRC well mabey ike

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
It came up in the meta-game thread when Shaya mentioned that he hated fighting Dedede on it. (I think) Lord Chair suggested a thread be made on it, I saw it and eagerly volunteered. Norfair is my favorite stage, for sure. I use it all the time, and as you can see, I know it pretty well. xD

Well then Im glad some of my ideas are coming to light. Im so lazy.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I was showing this to brent ( socal MK falco player) at a tournament. he looked like he was about to stop using MK on CPs and start using marth on norfair when he realized you can stay anywhere on the stage which is somthing no other character can legally do IIRC well mabey ike
Well, considering that the hazards aren't ALWAYS around, and you can still be hit by well-timed enemy projectiles (you aren't 100% immune, you're just timing hitboxes), I would hardly consider it an extremely reliable strategy, but it DOES have its uses.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I always knew that there would be a way to really abuse the fact that the lava has to "reset" its hitbox

Glad to see someone found a way to take advantage of it.

Still, I want to know how much time it takes for the lava to reset the hitbox, because it seems like a set number for any kind of lava (at least, on Norfair).

clowsui

Smash Legend
You didn't think instant ledge snap didn't make marth's edge guardings a **** versatile option why?
Or are you thinking norfair in general?
i meant on norfair specifically, it grants him a huge amount of mobility considering the massive "magnet" range that the ledgesnap has and marth's horizontal range

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Well, considering that the hazards aren't ALWAYS around, and you can still be hit by well-timed enemy projectiles (you aren't 100% immune, you're just timing hitboxes), I would hardly consider it an extremely reliable strategy, but it DOES have its uses.
the basic set up with norfair is great for marth with or without hazards. I mean the number of moves you illustrated that went through above platforms is insane, the fact we aren't required to move for hazards is a valuable asset. the only characters that can abuse the platforms are those with huge disjoints and those with controlable trajectory projectiles in general.
oh and ganondorf....

that stage makes ganon a viable character to pick on it

As I am sure you agree norfair also helps with our recovery TREMENDOUSLY.

It also helps fox a lot IMO since its hard to chain grab him here and he can run around here like no ones business. His recovery options are also significantly better here because with stall and cancels and THREE ledges to shoot for he can almost always make it back here. his comboing game isn't really hurt here either since he tends to combo up. and his projectile isn't really hurt since it doesn't flinch to begin with so it isn't really a factor.

For a wihle I have been playing on norfair in general and I always thought it was decent for marth, however now I think its amazing

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
So, I'm planning on doing the formatting for the match-ups tonight.

Unless there are any objections, I'm planning on covering S, A, B, and C tiers, and any other characters OTHER than that, can be requested if you'd like to see them covered.

Edit: I also added in the information noted by Bengals and Blacknight.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
thank you.

I showed that vid to larry on aim and he was like

wow........
Larry as in DEHF? I'm glad to see I'm helping people out. ^_^

Edit: Crazy Aussies, I forgot Shaya can't transfer me that post until the time zone compensates. Tomorrow then. >_>

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Go nuts.

Voila.
Hot ****, I'm still awake.

Alright, I'm just gonna throw together the formatting, since I'm pretty tired. I'll handle the actual stuff over the next few days.

Edit: Alright, formatting is complete. I am now officially accepting video submissions and general tips on ANY match-ups for which anyone wants to contribute.

Please note, I'm not going to re-iterate everything about the match-up as it is on standard stages.

Good Post:

Raziek said:
In the Snake match-up on Norfair, we can more safely pressure Snake's shield using Bair if we force him onto the upper levels. It's strong disjoint (especially when retreated) allows us to remain safe while still applying good pressure.
Bad Post:

Hurr Durr Example Guy said:
AGAINST MK, YOU SHOULD SPACE GOOD WITH FAIR.
I'll be starting on the match-ups tomorrow, most likely.

Also notice that I decided to add D tier to the mix, when I remembered that we have a few random 50:50's residing in D tier (Wolf, DK, and debatably Peach)

KingJacob

Smash Apprentice
This is probably a really stupid question, but does countering the lava help un-diminish your other moves? I honestly doubt that counter can even un-diminish moves when used against people so this is probably going to be a big no.... Thank you in advance for any help you could give me.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
That's actually a good question. I was under the impression that counter didn't go stale because it has a set damage ratio. Anyone know the answer to this?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
This..... is a good question. I'm going to guess not, because your counter never actually HITS anything, but I'll test it later when I get some time, I'm super busy right now.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
god dammit shaya you were supposed to have a definitive answer :(

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
well as I said, if it has no decay it would always do the same amount of damage.

Pretty easy to see yourself, but if I recall correctly, it doing 7% at all means there is decay somewhere.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yeah, but if you're in the lava and you counter, you don't hit anything. I would think that since you whiffed it, it's the HIT that counts for move staling, not the activation itself.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
now that I think about it yes because the lava (if it could) would be decayed for hitting a hurtbox not the other way around so yes you have to hit something with counter for it to be decayed

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Speaking of decay, when you hit the safe zone thing for the big wave, does it count?

Top Bottom