• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Heero Yuy

#sweg
(This is the correct thread, I assume? :o Otherwise, please forgive me... >.>)

I can't seem to ledge hop and attack simultaneously. Link's 2nd jump just seems so awful that...Immediately after pressing down and jumping at once, it barely brings me up a foot into the air. I would try his Fair and Nair upon arriving at the edge of the stage, but he would always plant his feet in the ground before I get the chance to. I also tried pressing away from the stage instead of down, but it doesn't bring me any higher.

I really want to learn to at least get both of his Fair strikes in upon ledge hopping. Please help?

P.S. I can ledge hop using bombs perfectly fine. I just can't seem to pull off his aerials correctly.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I can't seem to ledge hop and attack simultaneously. Link's 2nd jump just seems so awful that...Immediately after pressing down and jumping at once, it barely brings me up a foot into the air. I would try his Fair and Nair upon arriving at the edge of the stage, but he would always plant his feet in the ground before I get the chance to. I also tried pressing away from the stage instead of down, but it doesn't bring me any higher.

I really want to learn to at least get both of his Fair strikes in upon ledge hopping. Please help?

P.S. I can ledge hop using bombs perfectly fine. I just can't seem to pull off his aerials correctly.
Link has the 2nd lowest double jump in the game (before Peach who can float) and IIRC the 2nd fastest fall speed (before DDD). You can ledge hop both cuts of Fair but your timing has to be super fast. Don't press down to release from the ledge; Link falls too fast. (From the ledge) Tap away>towards the stage+jump>attack while continuing to hold toward the stage.
Link can ledge hop any aerial or projectile. IMO, Nair is the easiest and safest if you mess up.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Haven't mastered it yet, but I nailed it a handful of times with both Fair slashes. It just needs some practice and I'll have it down soon. Thanks, Rizen! :)

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Lol I'm so awful on WiFi now. AiB ladder is not working out too well :p

Rizen

Smash Legend
^With AiB down so much I don't enter ladders anymore. Losing points for inactivity because the site's down is no fun.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I dunno. You tell me.

I need to relearn proper spacing and techniques. I keep using things like grounded upB and expecting people to just walk into me and die, lol.
UpB isn't even as powerful as it is in BBrawl, so it's dumb I'm using it to kill people ANYWAY.

One guy killed himself twice as Ike and then came back and wrecked my three stocks in under a minute and a half anyway. At least he had the decency to put "CLUTCH!" in the little review box thingie after the game, lol. :s

Rizen

Smash Legend
I dunno. You tell me.

I need to relearn proper spacing and techniques. I keep using things like grounded upB and expecting people to just walk into me and die, lol.
UpB isn't even as powerful as it is in BBrawl, so it's dumb I'm using it to kill people ANYWAY.

One guy killed himself twice as Ike and then came back and wrecked my three stocks in under a minute and a half anyway. At least he had the decency to put "CLUTCH!" in the little review box thingie after the game, lol. :s
I wrote about spacing in here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325062 at 005. Sorry to keep bringing this up; it's just that I spent many many hours on it and feel few people see it :( .
"Ground Spin Attacks are easily blocked and punished hard; hitting a shield 1 time will nullify the rest of the attack. They do have some uses. Spin Attacks can be charged to delay the hitbubbles and its frames 9 (earliest release) through 36 attack creates a long lasting, disjointed wall on either side of Link that almost guarantees to punish the opponent’s vulnerable lag. If you notice the opponent has a habit of spotdodging and/or rolling, Spin Attacks are a good answer. Spin Attacks are good when the opponent cannot shield them; punishing landings, even if the opponent airdodges, is one such situation, stopping rush attacks that can’t cancel, like Jigglypuff’s Rollout, Yoshi’s Egg Roll, Wolf’s Fsmash, etc is another. But be aware that Link’s Dsmash reaches farther to the sides (Spin Attack, Dsmash):

Spin Attack’s hitbubbles technically follow Link’s sword and are not completely without gaps, they get weaker with each rotation (the last 180 degree spin has no attack at all) and you must hit or suffer terrible lag, 76 total frames (earliest attack release)! If any hitbubbles do connect, even the weak ending ones, Link should be safe. Spin Attack and Dsmash punish opponents who roll behind Link."

Ike is stupid broken in lag. Here's my recent vids
(end can't tech in wifi :( )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0id5SKvwUbo
wins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94f8GYkmeuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vvMlTAmyqg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xofug1E1uM

There isn't a great answer to beating good Ikes in lag. Don't assume you can time anything around his attacks :/

Edit, the jpegs with Link's hitbubbles were deleted. Grrrr.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
No problem Rizen. I think a lot of the reason few people would see it is because of inactivity.

Dsmash would be a far better answer than UpB.

I also need to relearn jab cancelling. I've been super lazy about it for so long that I no longer can do it consistently (considering it's one of the easiest AT's to learn, I've got some work to do).

However, I've rediscovered jump cancelled bomb throws and they're pretty useful on the run (and way more consistently succesful than bombslides). Reminder to everybody to try and implement that in your games.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Alrighty now that I've 99% perfected my Link (not sure if anyone possibly could unless your name is Legan), I just need the tourney experience. Problem is, I lack a capture card for recording and whatnot so I can post in the Video Critique thread...Not to mention a load of other gear. Anywho, look forward to it!

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
AAAAND I beat it this morning. Holy **** guys. This game is amazing. Seriously. If you have a 3DS go buy it now. This is an instant classic. I would argue it might actually be worth getting a 3DS just for this game, it's that good.

Beat it on Hard mode Classic (aka permadeath enabled). Only had one close call in beating the final boss's level (Donnel, HugglesMy Unit, and the new Support system are broken lulz).

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I forget outside the Tinks and the Disco room, no one knows what 9 doors, 9 people, 9 hours is. :/

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
AAAAND I beat it this morning. Holy **** guys. This game is amazing. Seriously. If you have a 3DS go buy it now. This is an instant classic. I would argue it might actually be worth getting a 3DS just for this game, it's that good.
Hey. Shut up and stop making everyone depressed.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Who was talking about 999 in the first place?

I'm stoutly decided against buying a 3DS or Wii U, no matter what game comes out.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself. I'll drop my resolve right around the time Smash 4 comes out.

Or the new Zelda game. (Not WWHD)

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm stoutly decided against buying a 3DS or Wii U, no matter what game comes out.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself. I'll drop my resolve right around the time Smash 4 comes out.

Or the new Zelda game. (Not WWHD)
Lol.
After playing Nintendo Land's Zelda theme game I'm excited about having a HD Zelda in the future (not WW). Even with the doll and fabric textures the NL Zelda looked great and my Mii has shades to make him even sexier :cool:.

PS
I still am disappointed with SS style.

Rizen, you and your lame jokes. ;P
Most of my puns are clever for those who like puns. The 1,000 joke was lame :/ but my rice crispy simile was good.
Rice Crispys are like cats: they snap, crackle and pop for about 40 seconds then they become liquids.
At the time my cat commandeered my chair and my cereal got soggy, lol.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I have both AND allergies.
Allergies to both of them.

You should have my dog.

Also, AiB went down again today for at least a few hours. I'm starting to feel how you feel about the ladder there, Rizen. It's just so annoying to try and get on and find that half of that time the site is down anyways.
Buuuut that is the only way I'm going to get in any legit tourney practice at this point, so better that than nothing. :/

EDIT: On that thought, I've been considering co-mains to try and balance out some of Link's worst MU's. I liked Wolf and Lucario for a while but both have problems with Marth, Snake, and my ever-present worst nightmare of KDDD. I've started to like Pit, but I feel like Pikachu is a great foil b/c he can't be CG'ed (except by Marth, but it's minimal in comparison). It's also nice to have a character who seems so opposite to Link in that he's fast and light with significantly less KO power (albeit his KO moves are better). Makes for a nice switch-up in play style that could potentially throw opponents off.

Any thoughts on good co-mains for Link in dealing with some of his worst top/high tier MUs, like Falco and D3?

Rizen

Smash Legend
edit, ^it's still down.

Edit edit, yep, AiF is still fail...

EDIT: On that thought, I've been considering co-mains to try and balance out some of Link's worst MU's. I liked Wolf and Lucario for a while but both have problems with Marth, Snake, and my ever-present worst nightmare of KDDD. I've started to like Pit, but I feel like Pikachu is a great foil b/c he can't be CG'ed (except by Marth, but it's minimal in comparison). It's also nice to have a character who seems so opposite to Link in that he's fast and light with significantly less KO power (albeit his KO moves are better). Makes for a nice switch-up in play style that could potentially throw opponents off.

Any thoughts on good co-mains for Link in dealing with some of his worst top/high tier MUs, like Falco and D3?
(low to high tiers)
I have Zelda for a low tier who doesn't get CGed and covers some of that weakness Link has but Zelda still has bad MUs.

Wolf is decent vs Marth except a few stupid exploitations and okay vs Snake but it is a disadvantage :/ . Wolf's 0 or -1 vs Falco (stupid CG). Good MU with MK for a non-high tier.
G&W is my bad Link/Wolf MU covering character. He's even with DDD and barely gets CGed. G&W's good for bad lag because he's easy and forgiving. Relatively good non HT vs MK. Unfortunately he is bad vs Marth/Falco (Wolf can make up for those) and loses lag MUs with other lag abusers like Snake and Ike.

For HTs obviously MK :/ . Any HT will have an easier time than Link with everything :( so you have to be careful they don't become your main lol. Pika is a good choice. Lucario covers everything pretty well.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Never MK and never D3.

But yeah, Link pretty much sucks. For any given MU at least two of the co-mains can do significantly better than Link. The life of a Link main. *sigh* It's all about picking your poison. :/

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Link is still fun though. Sure he may not be the best tool for winning, but if you do win, you get bragging rights. He really is a character who needs to have godly stage control.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
"Go to first unread post" sent me back to page 89.

Site still needs some work, apparently.

Also, FREAKING WELCOME LINKS!!!

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Also, apparently I no longer have friends. I have followers and followees.

None of this friend crap. Competitive Brawl is serious business (especially with bottom tiers).
Also, Scabe is posting in colors/bold but I can't get red to work. :/

Also, also.

Top Bottom