• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to earn your wings! A pit video critique thread :)

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Mix ups. Reading landings. And reading habits when you approach.And knowing when to use the mix-up over a standard you have/develop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfwo3tYiRAc&t=4m24s

I was kinda off my game this day. Messed up on my arrow usage quite a bit and missed the uptilt/upsmash choice way too often which hurt me. Nonetheless i came out on top cuz he thought i'd drop shield. I also was focusing on developing dair usage. . Worked out kinda nicely.I also need to remember to hold the charge on fsmash for half a second to beat out airdodge and spotdodge. I keep thinking it'd win w/o it but it doesn't I'm so good at avoiding farts by a hair now haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTKKECewPJw&feature=related&t=9m40s vs Gaw. I need to master my zoning in this mu. Pay more attention to my opponents spacing. Stop missing free upsmash. And stop trying to challenge bair when i can easily space away and punish easily. Need to use spaced upairs more. Practice landing bairs as GaW is one of the easier characters to land it on since they tend to fall into patterns easier.

On a side note: Krystedez you'd be so proud of my wario :cry:
Dang Kuro, you play so fast >_< especially vs G&W, slow it down a bit--walk more! I play a G&W almost every week & he goes to GA tournaments and places 7th/9th w/ players like Reflex, Kismet, Big Lou in attendance. First of all, up-smash isn't that good of a move vs G&W--especially vs Key. More times than not, it will lose, so don't try to punish G&W w/ that move! You got punished almost everytime you wiffed it so that can be a good reference.

Secondly, you should really implement walking into your game! G&W's moves can be punished on reaction, and you really don't have to do all that unnecessary movement/speedy attacks that you do. He doesn't have very many safe approaches except spaced d-tilts, fairs/bairs, and grab. When he bairs, just shield and punish his bair when the turtle head goes down(this is b4 he lands), then you can punish w/ jab(they usually DI out of this, so I follow up w/ a jab dashattack) /upsmash(only first hit hits most times) /and even F-Smash(save this for surprise KO)!

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
The Diddy just seems bad to me

:38 Saved his life instead of killing him

:58 Flip kick offstage? Pit had a good edgehog though

2:22 No good Diddy would use side B that low, should've aimed for the ledge

The Diddy is just dash attacking everywhere like he's in 5th grade doing kartwheels at recess while the Pit is spamming the c stick. The video is over a year old and these players are bad lol. Not a good example of the Diddy matchup.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDL-nk8mDNQ

this is a match of me getting boned by Good ol Tree back in june. not to mention i've fallen into a ****ing rut of epic failure in my gameplay. i don't know why im still trying to be good at a game i can't even practice due to not having a wii but god damn it i've been playing this game for years and im tired of **** like this match. what the hell is my problem with this game? im supposed to be a higher level player and i see matches like this and because im the one getting boned i can't see what i do wrong i just see myself getting boned in the ***

i mean trela 3 stocked me in pittos the other morning and the dude has never seriously played pit in his life. and he wasn't even playing seriously

edit:

i get boned in all these vids. what are my overall problems? i don't care if i shoulda used bair instead dair here etc. i wanna know the problems that actually matter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYDbZqBGxrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaIFrZFgpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8h4GLxn9M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beikkXSh6dI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGar_Y4lK3o

namesearch kiraflax koolaid krystedez luckay ptzr fyre kuro and gnes (keith you see me play more than any other pro which is why i ask)

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
I don't really know about the match vs sheik but

Trela is probably way more proficient in the basics of brawl(due to all of his training he probably went through) that he has reached that level that "natural skill" when he can be pretty good with any character. I could be wrong though thats just a guess lol.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
that's not my point. i shouldn't be getting 3 stocked by his pit when i can get a stock or two off of his lucario -.-

edit:

motivational post from trela got me back on my feet headwise. but i would still like to know if anyone can see what my root problem(s) is(are)

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
The match against sheik, the chree guy mostly got some luckay kills. Sheik's up b is a kill move that counters our planking if we don't space it right and you weren't aware of it at the time so the moment he busted it out it worked. The second kill on you was a needle on your woi which almost never happens.

You seem to just not know the sheik matchup which is understandable as to why you lost. Sheik can be tough even when you do know how to play it. You just need to stop throwing out moves hoping they will hit and actually get punishes in. Really think about the situation before making your move. Sheik is a very fast character so any laggy moves (dsmash,fsmash, dask attack, glide attack) on her shield is asking to be punished. That thing you do where you smash, spot dodge, and then smash again while he just sits in his shield needs to stop too. Honestly don't use smash attacks at all in pressure situations like that. Best thing to do is gtfo by running or rolling away and shoot arrows to put the pressure all on her. The offstage pressure is going to be there because sheik can wall pretty good, just do the best you can to get back onstage. Careful with the uair planking though because that up b of hers can kill.

Summed up:
-Don't attack her shield so much
-Get more grabs in and pummel the appropriate amount of times as well
-Careful with your planking
-Spot dodge less in pressure situations
-Roll instead of spotdodge
-Be calm and wait for a spot dodge then time a good grab
-Get away as soon as you can when getting juggled
-Also don't throw out mirror shield or angel ring like that it doesn't really help you

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
really? well hell skypirate that vid was actually pretty good. could have used nair>utilt a couple times instead of uair when getting on but that was actually pretty good. remember tho fsmash has less range than jab and dtilt and dsmash so those moves are usually better when they are getting close.

random sidenote AR on the ice transformation is realllly gay

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Could someone critique this? I don't main Pit, but I'd like to get a little better with him.

SkyPirateCoud (Pit) v. Zifien (ZSS)
Ok, I watched about 2:25, and some things I noticed off the bat. You seem to have a good sense of spacing and control which is good. The things you need to work on are your punishes and followups. Within the first 30 seconds, you grabbed when you could have made a better punish such as an f-smash(you were right behind ZSS in her lag). Pit needs to capitalize on mistakes much better because his moves and range don't pack that much power solely, but with strings/reads--he's much better.

Another thing I saw is that you don't pivot arrow. Instead you jump and switch your arrow, but pivot arrow is much quicker and more useful. All you do is run, then press b & control stick in the opposite direction from a run. It's that simple.

You also need to arrow a lot more. It seems like you are a little confused at mid-range, but I promise you that filling in those gaps with arrows will make your game soo much better, especially vs ZSS.

Also, don't wiff your smashes so much. Replace it with single jabs if you feel that you have to do something. Pit's smashes are very punishable by high level players. They have just enough lag for a fast character/good player to get in.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
hold on. i agree that he should do more grounded pivot arrow, but aerial pivot arrow is just as if not more useful. hell i do it a lot because of spacing. so definately don't stop doing it, just mix it up between the 2. also change your charge timings up with it.

and at long mid range arrow is good but against characters that can punish it with speed it's better either retreat and arrow or go in balls out **** blazin. however since zss has a slow mid long range game arrow is a great option. don't try that with sonic mk or marth tho, you'll get f'd up

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Thank you very much for the criticism.
Yeah, I have a really hard time understanding the spacing for a normal pivot arrow. It feels like I'm given a lot more breathing room if I keep retreating aerial arrows, but I can definitely see where it might be useful now.

I'm also still getting used to the cooldown on arrows, so I'm still a bit uneasy about using it at anything less than long-range since ZSS is so fast and has so much range on her SideB. ^^;

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
It's funny 'cause he 2-stocked Masashi in a different tourney.. it seems to me that the Japanese Pits have more problems fighting Falco than MK lol

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have the current Tier- & Stagelist of Japan?
I just saw one Tierlist, but that was back in 2009 I think.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
fd is in neither pit or falco's favor.

bf is slightly better for falco

sv is slightly better for pit

cs is much better for falco but since they both suck there we aren't totally screwed, he just loses much less than we do

YI is bad enough for both to be even just because pit's got solid tricks on that stage but we can't go under it which gives falco a more solid ledge game

pks1 is falco's favor for the most part

lylat cruise, we win by a decent margin that's for sure. i mean with slanted dtilt, platforms, the ability to go under the stage, and the fact that lazers cant snake the shape of the stage to hit us unlike our arrows which can, plus the fact that his recovery is bodied here makes this stage solid for us.

that's my opinion of how pit/falco do against each other on neutrals

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I agree with everything but YI. It makes fighting falco much easier for me. Especially since nearly any side b from offstage ends up in hard landing lag.

Top Bottom