• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to earn your wings! A pit video critique thread :)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Ok...first do u mean he just went competitive a month ago? cuz ive never seen som1 who only been playing brawl a month tech ANYTHING lol

second heres what i have for him http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190383 have him read this he was using fsmash much too much in the phase 2 part (aka mid percent range)

Pit is one of the best ppl to run away with run do pivot arrows SH pivot arrows SH b reverse arrows MAKE ppl chase you cuz your arrows make their approach options VERY limited kind of like grenades which once you understand this u can bait/punish accordingly.

and dont fish for the kill, i mean keep an eye out for opportunities but dont just throw at smashes at "maybe" moments READ or PUNISH to get the kill overall general strategy was nice didnt fall into too many patterns mixed it up just work on reading, arrow abilities, punishing, and pits aerial strings.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
k got a bunch of new vids up u can watch em if u feel like it but id like these looked at most importantly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89elXcFWsrA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXq4myRqUxc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

tourney fightin with one of the top 5 peaches in da nation its kinda hard but im getting use to how to fight peach

sorry if the audio is desync'd YT was fking up that night and desync'd nearly all my vids that were perfectly fine on my computer

P.S. you should fullscreen it or it wont look right

dskank

Smash Journeyman
kyon's peach is the best.

my matches with his peach went the same, but i didnt pivot arrows and b-reverse back then, i was a bit more agro, i think we played 7 games total, he won them all, some were last hit some were 2 stock

we have the same basic style, run pivot arrow, and punish the approachits probly pit's best way to fight, only diff im more mindgame and ground based..

my match-up tips r this, peaches dair is broken with priority, it ***** our uair, watch out for them daisey air combos

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
ya for this match up i feel pit needs the air cuz even snake abuses uair and bair and his aerials are meh its cuz when peach approaches with her float shes 100% vulnerable and with pits ridiculous large arc dair and good fair i feel they are the best to utilize and i didnt know dair outprioritized our uair are u sure its not just based on positioning? ya i made a few mistakes like gliding into usmash and messing up DI that match alot of times i coula lived.Thx for watching bruh.

Kyon's been gettin alot faster lately which makes it alot harder and one thing i noticed when i got him off the edge i didnt capitalize on that enough i need to work on edgeguarding peach. Lol i just noticed....HE WOULD get a stitch face >> xD

Late Edit: dskank u should get some new videos of u up o.o

dskank

Smash Journeyman
when i tryed to plank him dair ***** uair, thats the thing i remember most his our best move getting crapped on by dair, yeah i saw u spaced dair to beat his approach and it worked well

i have some good vids recorded but wont be able to put them up for a while

U WOULD SAY HE WOULD

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
You just have to have better spacing and good reaction time against me. Those matches we played there I could have done a lot smarter things and played better. However you are getting better yourself which im glad to see. Just know that there is more that can come from me. You should notice it when I start losing or feel like I am things change. Keep it up Kuro!!! <3

dskank

Smash Journeyman
kuro do u know how to do grounded pivot arrow? in matches on youtube u dont use this but u should its huge frame advantage over jumping then b-reverse arrow, u would be able to shoot an arrow and have another charging by the time u shoot one the other way

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
when i tryed to plank him dair ***** uair, thats the thing i remember most his our best move getting crapped on by dair, yeah i saw u spaced dair to beat his approach and it worked well

i have some good vids recorded but wont be able to put them up for a while

U WOULD SAY HE WOULD
i can record for u. in good quality too.

You just have to have better spacing and good reaction time against me. Those matches we played there I could have done a lot smarter things and played better. However you are getting better yourself which im glad to see. Just know that there is more that can come from me. You should notice it when I start losing or feel like I am things change. Keep it up Kuro!!! <3
Lol @ namesearch and yes ik u can do much higher stuff *watched u vs hrnut* and ik u dont sandbag cuz u dont care or u think im weak u do it cuz it requires alot of effort on ur part Kyon and thanks u know ill keep gettin better with ppl like u helping me :)

kuro do u know how to do grounded pivot arrow? in matches on youtube u dont use this but u should its huge frame advantage over jumping then b-reverse arrow, u would be able to shoot an arrow and have another charging by the time u shoot one the other way
yes its just coincidentally most of the characters in my matches i find the spacing given from aerial pivots much more useful

Wario: i get to stay the **** away and bait easier with aerial pivots
Diddy: it lets me avoid nanners as well and sheild poke easier
MK: i actually did use the grounded on mk cuz its actually useful on mk
Peach:....idk i just play on reaction and instinct on her not much technicality to fighting peach u know what they are gonna play like and do for the most part the hard part is stopping it lol

in summary ya ikthx for the comments tho guys its much appreciated

Skank ill see u at holy smash
Kyon ill see u...w/e theres another fest or tourney in cfl lol

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I made it myself. :3

Go to Kitty corp and find it under Pit in the Brawl Vault.

(look for rainbow textured arrows seperatley, those arent mine >.<)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
k not bad kryst a couple things i noticed short hop AR is good as a punishment technique (though if you are gonna do it u should make sure u r doing the ART innstead since if it hits them it'll slide on when u hit the ground and continue hitting them) but u were doing it a bit too much its a laggy move that is punishable easily. i liked the arrow looping from above when u were really high that was something i hadnt seen yet dunnow how affective it would be against some ppl but nonetheless creativity is good. THE BIGGEST ERROR I SAW however was u were using fsmash MUCH TOO MUCH it IS your best kill move cuz even though bair kills earlier fsmash is MUCH EASIER to land and kills fairly early fresh so its best to use it 50% and below DONT use it past 50 its just a bad idea in most cases also i saw a couple of times u tried to wingdash and did SH angel ring make sure u have wing dashing down so mess ups like that dont happen also after chaingrabs 90% of the time dash attack is a BAD idea it leaves u very open and u WILL get hit and the dmg you'll get from itnt worth the dmg dash attack will do. so u can try stutter step fsmash to end or u can do sliding usmash which catches ppl or u can simply shoot an arrow all 3 are better options.

Other than that not bad i could find a few more things to comment on but i got other matter s to attend to. I hope u continue to get better as pit with all of us pit mains and help us get him out of this ditch he's in ^^

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Alright...Krystedez

Good things I noticed:

*Your Pit has a very unorthodox style, so that will throw off a lot of opponents! Keep it up!

*Your edgeguarding is good; I enjoyed your usage of side-b that led to a fair, and then uair.

What you can improve on(I'm coming all out! I know you can do better, so I'll be straight up blunt)

*You sacrifice "flashiness for flair." Maybe you were just fooling around because these are friendlies, but if you were not, then you definitely need to work on your basic Pit tools(arrow, jabs, fair, dair, grab combos). A lot of the times, you arrow looped or up-b canceled for no reason! The opponent was no where near you a couple times, yet you arrow looped for flashiness. I'm not saying that arrow loop can be useful because it can, but just in some instances that you used it, like (SH arrow, loop, airdodge) when a regular arrow could have done more work would be better.

*Sometimes, your fair spacing is not on point. Pit's range is average at best, but arrows make up for his physical range. Make sure you practice Pit's fair and all the spacings/timings of his fair, and all of his moves!

*You spam f-smash when the opponent is nowhere near you. You have to make sure that you move and use attacks w/ a purpose. I know you know this because I've seen how good your Wario can be. Make sure you treat Pit the same as you treat Wario! A better tactic would be to space a d-tilt or a jab cancel if the opponent is not in range.

*Jab more! Replace your f-smashes w/ jabs occasionally, and your set. It comes out on frame 5 while f-smash is frame 8.

Overall, your doing great, and I see a lot of potential w/ your Pit. Work on your basics before flash and you'll be an excellent Pit main!

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Guys:

First off, thanks for taking the time to look at my friendlies and critiquing them. It means a lot.

Second, Fox is annoying as hell for me. This is the worst representation of my MU experience, because 4biddin knows my playstyle and I know his. I'll get a "serious" set in or two next time with him and be as on-point as possible so you guys won't doubt these wings.

Third. I'm really going to need all the constructive criticism that I need. Thanks for reminding me on these notes (fsmash, fair, I know I get frustrated seeing my match where I threw out random stuff that didn't make sense, it was funny). I need this so that I can become a better Pit at a higher level, and I'll need MU experience to help now that I'm in the BBR.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Guys:

First off, thanks for taking the time to look at my friendlies and critiquing them. It means a lot.

Second, Fox is annoying as hell for me. This is the worst representation of my MU experience, because 4biddin knows my playstyle and I know his. I'll get a "serious" set in or two next time with him and be as on-point as possible so you guys won't doubt these wings.

Third. I'm really going to need all the constructive criticism that I need. Thanks for reminding me on these notes (fsmash, fair, I know I get frustrated seeing my match where I threw out random stuff that didn't make sense, it was funny). I need this so that I can become a better Pit at a higher level, and I'll need MU experience to help now that I'm in the BBR.
np anytime cant wait to see your next installment ^_^ glad to have u on board kryst

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Guys:

Also, you need to watch a lot of Masashi and Earth vids to get a feel of "what works." If you do that, and apply their basics to your own then you'll perform a lot better.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
My first match guys please critique? What I did good what I can do better
I'll the best pit in Utah just wait and see! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMEzH7pf1P8
0:08 fsmash why? dont be so hasty.

0:11 again...why? he was in front of u so if ur gonna go for him should of done fair

0:14 good pivot walking to grab but again u seem to lack the knowledge of your options dont do bthrow unless it can lead to an ez edgeguard at high %'s u should of done fthrow to stutter step fsmash or down thrwo to utilit/uair KNOW YOUR OPTIONS

0:45 try not to use fsmash till around 100% and higher u want it to be fresh so it will kill asap. dsmash is just as good a punisher from my experience ill elaborate on this further later in my post

0:52 u could of survived that DI to the left/right depending on trajectory and down at the same time and use dair instead of airdodge for vertical DI

also a general statement u keep running head on into ALL his projectiles dont be afraid to stand back a bit a shoot an arrow. ALSO learn to pivot arrow in the air and the ground it helps u avoid stuff WHILE providing pressure/damage

again a general statement on something i see you do consistently...EVERYTIME u got hit u airdodged right away there are other ways. one good thing is u can shoot an arrow while ur being sent bk which is a really good quick and surprising retaliation method

2:01 u put urself in a terrible position u couldnt handle dont be so hasty

2:10 AGAIN with the bthrow at low % not near the edge

2:47ish AGAIN u put urself in a terrible position but u got lucky on the fact he didnt succeed in punishing u

general statement again angel ring his arrows or mirror shield depending on distance from eachother but shield his bombs and then u can even z-catch them and use them as a glide tossing tool ^_^

3:09 a classic kill every pit will accomplish once in his lifetime xD should of done the "The fight is on" taunt xD or better yet "you're not ready yet" xD

3:20 this bthrow was acceptable BECAUSE it had edgeguarding potential which u capitalized on getting about 30% dmg

3:26 random fsmash again STOP THAT lol idk if u meant to fall through and fair or not sooo

3:43 im not gonna discourage edgeguarding becuase it is all-important in brawl with EVERY character ESPECIALLY pit but again dont put ur self in a situation u cant handle treat EVERY STOCK like its ur last

summary: know your options,make sure to have a breadth of knowledge to back u up in matches.

Dont do bthrow unless edgeguarding is viable and likely

arrow retaliation on knockback can be very effective but so can simply landing or jumping out of small knockback

Make sure u know how and where to DI by instinct and reaction and make sure u know "HOW" to DI.

dont do random fsmash. only use below 50% and past 100%

dsmash is good punishing tool as well

dont put urself in a position that ur not sure u wont get gimped

stay bk more be campy if they come close RUN rack up that ez dmg and watch them squirm

Im glad to see your enthusiasm and hope i didnt come off as harsh criticism is only good harsh....happy to have you on the Pit boards and hope u continue to grow with us and contribute as a whole.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I need help getting better. My game at the beginning of this one is ultra bad. I'm still pretty slow and evasive. I have been working on being more aggressive and getting more of the basics down.
sorry posted wrong video first time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpUJR4xoDNI
First things first: Don't roll so much.

Pit has a great roll, but you use it for your movement too much.

*Instead, you can replace it w/ a dash shield #1 option(running then canceling w/ a shield), walking(best option), fox-trotting, and running.

*You should work on your basic control w/ Pit and get a better "feel" for him. Try using different moves for similar scenarios and see what works best! Try incorporating his entire moveset so you can find out what suites you.

*Read the Pit guide, and all of the guides related to "improving."

*Play good players and if not offline, then online! Ask for critiques and ways you can improve after each and every game.

*Watch top Pit players! -Masashi, Danny, Earth, and Koolaid on youtube! See what they do best and incorporate your knowledge w/ theirs.

All of this needs to done before I can give you a good critique.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
My first match guys please critique? What I did good what I can do better
I'll the best pit in Utah just wait and see! XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMEzH7pf1P8
You are WAAY to aggressive. Chill out man! LOL.

*Instead, try this: Approach your next match very relaxed. Try to play a reactive game! Force your opponent to approach you by using arrow pressure. When you get a hit, THEN you can go full force and worry about your follow-ups/predictions. Once you've been hit, observe the situation and decide if falling back is a better option(it probably is).

*Also, try a reactive game...but for the entire game!--that means no follow-ups, just reactions.

*Once you complete the first 2 steps, and you want to try aggressive-actually think about the moves before you do them. Ask yourself-WHY AM I DOING THIS?

^^^^
If you have a good reason, then try it; if not then do nothing and think about other options you can do to replace your initial thought. This will help you develop a better adapting game, and allow you to "see all sides of the story."

Ic0slay3r

Smash Apprentice
thanks guys im really trying to improve my game. i have bad habits that are really hard to get rid of.
im the best at my school, but i guess thats not hard when your only in 8th grade lol
but here is match 2 of that set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtE6BH6NiYU
some more critique?? thanks
3 should be uploaded soon
I just watched both of the matches and the kill in the first match at 3:09 was funny XD. My friend who mains pit has been trying to kill me like that since he knew that was possible and still haven't been able to do it.

I don't main Pit but this is a matchup I know very well.
The first thing and this cost you a few stocks, I noticed is that you use your recovery way to early or forgets that Pit has only 3 or 4 jumps not sure, try to be more careful outside the stage(matchup specific - TL has many ways to hit you when you are trying to recovery with up-b, thanks to his projectiles and air movility). Another thing I notice is that you use the down-b shield in the most inappropriate times, like after failing to shield a projectile or simply just randomly.

I also watched that you b-throw a lot, try to mix up your throws and at lower % f-throw means easy follow ups, also I don't think Pit b-throw is really that good.

Btw work on your arrow game :), Pits arrows are annoying as ****.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
b4 i watch em *prolly tomorrow* tips against ness Yoshis is an awesome counter pick as the slants make the grounded GR last longer and easier. racks up damage hella fast. and walls **** up his recovery.

Pit can grouned grab release to regrab just have to buffer the walking regrab. U can also grounded GR to
dtilt dmash and i even believe fsmash. if he has to pk thunder make sure u dont miss the gimp. Its too ez.
with him being a light character try not to use fsmash after 50% only below till he gets to about 120 (with good di) i believe. a fresh fsmash kills mid/lightweights quite early ;D

SH and FH dairs are good against his aggressive style(only good way to play ness...)

fairs are good but ONLY if u place em at the right time and place. dairs are better option.

I dont believe our uair can go through dair cuz of the horizontal disjoint so dont try it.

to avoid total gimping out of WoI just glide real high or real low. Simple.

ill see your "personal" mistakes later when i watch.

dskank

Smash Journeyman
lol good **** for woi gimp game 2
ur pit was intresting, u use pits jab game well

i feel like u went after him to much, it got u some good combos but he hit u back pretty hard, try playing on reaction with the ness match, learn to beat his approach

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
eh this is a more of learn your option,know your character problem. and instead of MSing the bombs just shield em and z-catch em...then u can glide toss with em or bomb to arrow or just get rid of it w/o dmg...or just shield it and run...also learn how to fight off stage a bit better. Pit has to know that and you dont. also....why ps1 like 3 times?

i highly suggest u go through and read most of this...i did when i first started out...helps alot.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=181610

when i say read most i mean all the threads mentioned in it as well...

St4ticFir3

Smash Cadet
Well, it's pretty obvious you have exp. playing with this person which may interfere with giving a critique of your skill but there are some things that should be looked at.

Don't roll into attacks. A good deal of your punishment came from doing so.

Take care with your WOI. It's a great recovery but easily gimp-able. At 1:08 wolf sees you using WOI at gun height off the stage and shoots you but you killed yourself there basically.

The most common mistake most pits make is overuse of forward smash. Save it for the kills. Learn your tilts and use them.

Be aware of your opponent and be ready to punish. 2:00 to 2:10 you could have chewed wolf up quite a bit.

The z-button is a cool guy, he throws people and doesn't afraid of anything.

video - 2

34 forward smashes used, 6 hit. :p

Tprime

Smash Cadet
Well, it's pretty obvious you have exp. playing with this person which may interfere with giving a critique of your skill but there are some things that should be looked at.

Don't roll into attacks. A good deal of your punishment came from doing so.

Take care with your WOI. It's a great recovery but easily gimp-able. At 1:08 wolf sees you using WOI at gun height off the stage and shoots you but you killed yourself there basically.

The most common mistake most pits make is overuse of forward smash. Save it for the kills. Learn your tilts and use them.

Be aware of your opponent and be ready to punish. 2:00 to 2:10 you could have chewed wolf up quite a bit.

The z-button is a cool guy, he throws people and doesn't afraid of anything.

video - 2

34 forward smashes used, 6 hit. :p

hey thanks for the tips,

forward smash is my go to move and I need to step away from that

Top Bottom