• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn to Suck: A Guide to Inhale (Last Updated 7/6/09)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Glad to hear it, but keep in mind a lot of what's on here will not work with Dedede's inhale (especially starshot gimps and IB FSs), since they are fairly different.

hehe, but the real question: Do you swallow?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Bump for yet another update.

Also, sorry Dfat1, only saw your note on Tornado today. I've known about that, but never really remembered to put it in here. :laugh:

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Great title and interesting stuff, is there a thread on moves that can hit Kirby out of starshot? At BTYF, M2K kept dairing Chu out of it, so I'd assume it's guaranteed, maybe other characters have similar moves that can be used.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Out of starshot? Are you sure it wasn't copy?

Not only does it sound unlikely that that even be possible, I'm kind of surprised to hear Chu uses inhale. I kind of thought I was the only one to use it against MKs...

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
It could be that M2K canceled the star-shot early. I've seen people escape directly in front of Kirby before due to massive button pressing (my brother does this to me frequently). I think the star works with the same escape mechanic as when Kirby has an opponent inside him. I think they might even be linked, so if Chu held M2K in his mouth for a few seconds, all the time M2K would have been button smashing to get out would have been carried over to the star shot. I'll do some testing to confirm and let you know what I come up with.

Edit: OK, so I tested it and you CAN get out of star-shot early from button mashing, just like any other grab. The problem is I couldn't recreate a scenario where MK popped out in range to dair. even if you cancel the star-shot, you still get popped up vertically.

@ Teh nOOb: Did you see the star when M2K did it? If not, he just got out of Kirby's mouth early, which would put MK in a position to dair.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that after the dair, MK had momentum away from the Kirby. I'll see if I can find a video.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, I know you can cancel the starshot early by button mashing, but there's two things:
1) MK is light, and the lighter the character, the farther they go (in my experience, there's a minimum distance that Starshot will go, even with button mashing, though I could be wrong.).
2) Starshot pops the opponent up and away as they break out of the star, meaning that MK *should* be out of range before he could get a Dair.

If you can do that though, then that sucks donkey ****.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure that after he gets shot out, the MK used dair, which ended the hitstun early, and hit Kirby before he went the full horizontal distance. I won't be on Brawl until tomorrow, so I guess I can see if it's guaranteed to hit then unless someone else tests it.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I just confirmed it. You can struggle out of the star-shot animation and cancel the upwards momentum by jumping. This allows for Meta-Knight to hit with his dair on his way up. What's worse is that there isn't enough time to shield it. I hate the idea, but there are likely more characters that can do this :(. I'll put some more testing time in and let you know what I come up with.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
God****it... This is so gay...

SAKURAI!!!!

(Don't tell other character boards... please...?)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, so far I've never seen/heard of anyone else doing that, but ehhh... Now I have to go check how much each one does, and whether or not inhaling MK is still worth it (you have no idea how much it can help in that matchup...).

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
M2K has very few videos up, and none against Chu. And most good MKs probably already know it, but it sucks how that can happen.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
T3h Noob, I disagree. I just came back from the Midwest Circuit. Although I did poorly in the actual tourny, I did play against most MKs there, and none seemed to know (except a friend who checks this thread, though he didn't actually manage to pull it off (not sure if he tried though).).

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Ok, I exaggerated good I guess. When I watched the finals, it was common, but they were great MKs. I guess what I meant was, most people that would be able/remember/know how to pull this off probably already know, or won't see this thread. And you have be to predictable to have it happen to you, like this stuff went on in doubles, mostly when Chu was the only one left.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
that sucks donkey ****.
This.

It's funny how the more stuff about Kirby's "metagame" the more it hurts our character.

All good players already know about Dair/whatever out of Copy, I got hit by a number of ROB Dairs in friendlies this weekend. I wonder how common the knowledge of hitting people after Starshot will eventually be.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Actually, after thinking about your post Asdioh, it might be helpful in some matchups. For example, say you're playing ROB. The only way he can hit us out of starshot would feasibly be a Fair, whereas he needs to Dair if he wants to punish copy. Basically, this would allow us to punish stuff harder if we mindgame them, and get punished harder if they read us.

But yeah, I do agree with the general statement. That's why we should worry about all the crazy **** we can do on each stage. Playing the stage is very effective for our character.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I've been paranoid about it ever since BTYF (and I didn't play Kirby much until after that anyway), so I often wait before I starshot or copy at higher percentages, like I even do that when people think I try to kirbycide, jump off the edge and copy them, and it messes people up. Even if it is found out that you can hit Kirby out of starshot on a large scale and by most characters, you guys seem smart enough to not do the same thing after swallowing someone twice.

sushi-F13ND

Smash Cadet
WOW.
awesome guide, i never knew inhale was so...important...

and wouldn't it be time to add an inhale hitbox pic? that would be rly helpful, thanks.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
WOW.
awesome guide, i never knew inhale was so...important...

and wouldn't it be time to add an inhale hitbox pic? that would be rly helpful, thanks.
Heh, it's more situational than important, but it has uses that far too many neglect IMO.

Also, I probably should, but I'm lazy and haven't taken the time to do it yet. Maybe sometime in the near future (Not to mention I've seen it hit way outside it's normal hitbox before and am not entirely sure why.).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
could it be possible that inhale's hitbox strengthens/weakens based on what character kirby is fighting?

has anyone tested it??
Nah, it's not that, since I've tried to recreate some of the times it's been weird (like inhaling a Wolf under him.) with no success.
I think it has something to do with the opponent's hurtboxes getting in range before their hitboxes start, or the stages... not sure though. I wouldn't even know how to look into it TBH.

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
i was just thinking, at the right percent, when you Dthrow your opponent under a platform, they will have a hard landing on the platform and only be able to roll left or right, get up, or get up attack. You could just wait under the platform until your opponent does something and tech chase with inhale.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You can, but I personally prefer tech chasing with something like an air hammer.

Top Bottom