• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Sweet Spot and "Friction" Lists?

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Ok I have some questions, I tried searching for it but my search is malfunctioning :dizzy:

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is a special term for the distance a characters can grab a ledge from, I've heard ledge sweetspot but I'm not sure if thats the term. I was also wondering if anyone has researched the and made a list of the largest to smallest "ledge sweetspot" of the characters. For example, I've noticed Zelda and Wolf have very small but Samus, Lucario and Yoshi have a pretty big LSS. If anyone can link me to a list someone has made that would be great :)

I'm also wondering if there is a specific term for how much a person "slides" or, as it makes most sense to me, the amount of friction a character has. I know this is helpful primarily for wavedashing in melee, but I'm wondering, again, if anyone made a list of this and if this property has any uses in Brawl that are known of (so, does have "less friction" an advantage, disadvantage, or is it irrelevant to gameplay?)

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who answers :)

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I don't know if there's a list about ledge sweetspots; it would be pretty interesting if there was one.

Also, the amount that someone slides is based on their traction (the higher your traction, the less you slide). There's a character list for traction on the Smash Wiki, but that's for Melee. I have no idea whether or not one exists for Brawl. What I can tell you is that Luigi has the lowest traction, and the Ice Climbers have second lowest (but on ice they have the best traction).

Low traction can be said to be a double edged sword. On the one hand, it makes your ooS game worse (since you slide too far to punish them) and can limit approach options. However, it can also prevent certain chaingrabs and combos, among other things.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
OOhh traction I knew that too thanks =) Man, everything in brawl seems to be a double-edged sword these days...

Throwback

Smash Lord
As a samus player I often wonder about the sweet-spot 'tier list'. I'm pretty sure samus has the largest but a list would be cool. ****ed if I'm going to do it though!

Splice

Smash Hero
I think Wolfs will be pretty small. When you use UpB, if you face the wrong way sometimes you dont grab the ledge when you FF down to it.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Ok guys I did some testing. Everyone can grab the ledge from the same distance actually. BUT, grabbing the ledge facing AWAY from the edge has some variation, and the distance is defidently shorter.

Oh and Splice if you FF passed the ledge, nobody can grab it cus your telling the character to bypass the ledge. It's not just Wolf =)

XienZo

Smash Lord
Moves like Sing and pikmin-less pikmin chain will increase the ledge sweetspot.

jpl315

Smash Apprentice
just from observation, samus, mario, and lucas grab the ledge quite well

Top Bottom