• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Tripping should be in Smash 5

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Everybody knows the situation: One players gets back to the ledge and his opponents waits there. Then there is this one moment, where both freeze and think about their next move, while the Invisible Frames count down.

I hate this moment. Not because is a scrub technique waiting in a shield or charging a Smash and that i don't know a way around. I hate it just because it's always the same situation. There isn't even much diversity between most characters. Almost everybody has the same options and it is kind of a minigame. I would not eliminate it in general (it belong to Smash), but at least speed up the encounter by giving and taking away some option.

My Idea is Ledge Tripping. If you press the Grab-Button at the ledge, your character will try to hit the feet of his opponent in from of him. If the opponent gets hit, even while shielding or dodging, he trips back and the attacker stands up automatically. Pretty much a complete reset for both players. A Ledge Trip can be beaten with an fast attack or a simple jump. In return the Invisible Frames at the ledge get shorten in general.
It should also be able to push back items at the ledge (like Bananas) and destroy away some cheese tactics for casual and competitive play. (Even so the player is still open for a aerial attack or a long range attack).

I believe, this would speed up the whole process, without taking away the disadvantage of the player at the edge. The best he can hope for, is to reset the situation back into neutral.
So what do you think about it?

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Quite an interesting mechanic idea there. We still have years and years to wait for smash 5 if it even does come out. I'm also unsure that such an idea would be added due to the fact Smash was made more for the casual side of play. And every time I hear people talking about SSB5, I think of how Sakurai pushed himself beyond the limit to make these games.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, it could be more possible than I think. It would also have positive impact on the casual side as well.

Last edited:

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
If this gets implemented in any game in the future, I will tip my hat to you.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
That's a neat idea. An alternative could be that using grab causes you to pull your opponent off the stage, allowing you to get up safely.

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
I don't think this would shorten the time at all. That's like saying adding a fourth option to rock-paper-scissors would make the game faster. If the opponent is shielding or charging a smash, just do the roll get up, it will not only shorten the time, it will also reset the situation.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
The issue with this is that it gives the person on the ledge an extra option from the ledge to get back up and reset neutral. Positional advantage should not be so easy to get around for the disadvantaged individual. They messed up in neutral, which put them in a bad spot. They should not have an easy time getting out of that bad spot. Making it easier to get out of bad situations is a terrible idea and makes skill gaps mean less.
And what's this all for? Saving a second or two? Fighting games are all about patience.

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
The issue with this is that it gives the person on the ledge an extra option from the ledge to get back up and reset neutral. Positional advantage should not be so easy to get around for the disadvantaged individual. They messed up in neutral, which put them in a bad spot. They should not have an easy time getting out of that bad spot. Making it easier to get out of bad situations is a terrible idea and makes skill gaps mean less.
And what's this all for? Saving a second or two? Fighting games are all about patience.
To be fair, Smash is aimed at a more casual crowd anyway. Besides, it would be punishable pretty easily since aerials likely would still beat that.

b2jammer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
b2jammer
That is an interesting idea, but again, giving the person on the ledge another option reduces the disadvantage of being at the ledge on principle. Perhaps instead of being unblockable, you remain on the ledge when the move's complete. It could be helpful as a mix-up when your opponent is expecting an immediate getup.

Top Bottom