• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Legend of Zelda: Music Discussion

etecoon

Smash Hero
Very neat, for some reason machines like floppies and printers make surprisingly good instruments! I wonder if it's just the novelty...

SS was released during this threads down time, so I feel like discussing this new soundtrack some. A lot of people have knocked it for not living up to the epicness that they expected with it being orchestrated, but I think it's very good. I suppose if you went in expecting duel of the fates non-stop then yeah, it doesn't live up to that, but I think it really excelled with a lot of the more relaxed minimalist themes. Some of my favorites(potential spoilers in titles)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
SS's music was a very mixed bag for me.

I really disliked the dungeon themes minus Ancient Cistern and found most of the other songs pretty but unforgettable. This could change in the future though. I felt the same initially about Majora's Mask's music and now that is my favorite of all of them musically.

My favorite piece is probably Fi's Theme even though I'm not a big fan of the instrumentation used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRPheoucN_0

speaking of MM, here's a fun little music theory article on the Great Bay temple music

http://www.lauraintravia.com/2/category/cells/1.html

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'd kind of agree on dungeons in general, I think OoT and MM got it the best of the 3D games, but really the only area where I think SS really fell short was the end credits. The series has consistently had amazing credits music since LTTP so the bar is set very high there, generally there's usually something near the beginning like the title screen or story intro that's also very strong, I think there's a big emphasis on first and last impressions.

I'll have to read that tomorrow, Koji Kondo does some really unusual things musically, haven't really taken a look at great bay in particular but some of it in that song comes through just listening to it

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I'd kind of agree on dungeons in general, I think OoT and MM got it the best of the 3D games, but really the only area where I think SS really fell short was the end credits. The series has consistently had amazing credits music since LTTP so the bar is set very high there, generally there's usually something near the beginning like the title screen or story intro that's also very strong, I think there's a big emphasis on first and last impressions.
I honestly thought the end credits music for SS was pretty good. It might not of been as good as some other zelda game credits music like OOT, but I thought it was pretty good though.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I thought it was alright but didn't hit near the same level that LTTP, OoT, or WW did, those games left an amazing closing impression in their credits music. but then not many games do(only thing that immediately comes to mind for me is both Chrono games)

more tracked chiptuney goodness

http://youtu.be/RcNsh3gOHpw

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.

Grodion

Smash Cadet
My favorites wold probably be:
10. OOT Lost Woods
9. LTTP Death Mountain
8. TP Country song thingy. (Idk the name of this song, but the song that plays when you get rid of the Bokoblins in the lady's house.)
7. OOT Gerudo Desert
6. WW Starting Screen
5. Regular Overworld :awesome:
4. SS Ballad of the Goddess+Trailer Theme
3. SS Lanyru Mines (Dungeon)
2. SS Ancient Cistern
1. LTTP Hyrule Castle/WW Hyrule Castle

Jakor

Smash Ace
Overall, I thought the music in SS was quite awesome, here are some of the songs I consider being some of the best in the series:

Ballad of the Goddess
Fi's Theme
Lanayru Sand Sea
The Sky
Earth Temple
Skyloft
Lord Ghirahim

As well as some others. Last time a Zelda game had that many amazing tunes was in WW.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I can't make a top 10 there are way too many great Zelda songs. But number 1 would definitely be Zelda's Lullaby.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Skyward Sword was disappointing musically for me as well. The horde battle song and the Koloktos song were both really good, but other than that, nothing really made an impression.

I think OoT has the best in-game soundtrack. The Spirit Temple is still my favorite song from the whole series. But I think Twilight Princess had the best music. I didn't really think this until I heard the TP medley on the 25 anniversary soundtrack. TP's music is amazing, it's just that the awful quality of the MIDI in the game ruins it. With real instrumentation though, there's no contest.

etecoon

Smash Hero
TP is also hurt by the quietness of it, I believe the music in game is mixed quieter than any other console zelda at least, and there's no options for changing that, so if you want to get the full effect of the music you're going to have the sound effects and link yelling YAAAAAAA way too loud. I also think nintendo simply tried to be too clever with it, they've taken the line that MIDI has the advantage of interactivity and being able to change themes but by splitting a theme extensively it may not sound as good in game. like the hyrule field theme doesn't play in full until after lakebed I think, and it just doesn't sound very good at all until then(and it's a good melody, I love the end credits version)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Skyward Sword was disappointing musically for me as well. The horde battle song and the Koloktos song were both really good, but other than that, nothing really made an impression.

I think OoT has the best in-game soundtrack. The Spirit Temple is still my favorite song from the whole series. But I think Twilight Princess had the best music. I didn't really think this until I heard the TP medley on the 25 anniversary soundtrack. TP's music is amazing, it's just that the awful quality of the MIDI in the game ruins it. With real instrumentation though, there's no contest.
This, exactly. Spirit Temple has been my favorite tune in the series since I first heard it as an 8 year old kid. I remember my mom chaperoning a field trip in the 4th grade, and I played the OoT soundtrack in the car, namely the Spirit Temple theme. The other kid who rode with us asked, "what kind of music is this?"

"It's Zelda."

"I dunno, this isn't hip hop. I don't like it."
/anecdote

Twilight Princess, because of its fantastic score and cinematic quality could translate to the film medium. Its orchestrated music is some of the most beautiful modern classical work.

I do enjoy the Skyward Sword soundtrack. Not all of it, but everything within the Lanayru region is superb. The Spirit Temple theme even finds its way into the timeshift desert and mining facility themes.

Spire

III
BRoomer
No, the Scarecrow's Song. It is anything you want it to be, as you write it in-game (Ocarina of Time).

Grodion

Smash Cadet
oh, i thought he meant the part in tp where u fight skull kid and he looks like a scare crow... lol

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
That would be Sacred Grove's music, which is also amazing.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion

I loved SKyward sword's music. Fi's theme, Romance in the air, Zelas lullaby remix, ballad of the goddess, those were my favorites. Maybe not the best soundtrack in the series but still pretty great I would say.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
How you can not see Skyloft theme as a masterpiece is a mystery to me.

Reminded me of Outset Island.
[glow]Outset Islands theme felt different for me, It felt more nostalgic to me. I liked skyloft the Skyloft theme a lot, just not my in top 4 favorite skyward sword songs.[/glow]

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
If I had to make a list:

1. Koloktos's Theme
2. Windwaker Credits
3. Calling the Four Giants
4. Lake Hylia - TP
5. Song of Healing
6. Kakariko Village
7. Dark World - LttP
8. Final Hours - MM
9. Windfall Island
10. Forest Temple - OoT

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Majora's Mask's music and sound design was nothing short of godlike.

There is no game I've ever played that weaved the music and the themes/emotions of a place/moment more seamlessly than that game.

It's why I paid $78 for this and am impatiently waiting for it to arrive from Japanland.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
MM's music truly was amazing... It really fits perfectly with the games theme and gives me goosebumps still after all these years lol

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Seeing clownbot quote this really reminded me just how much I hate Ocarina of Rhyme. All it is is taking the lyrics from a rap song and slamming them on top of a song from Zelda. The lyrics are absolutely irrelevant to Zelda, and there is absolutely zero talent behind getting the lyrical track from one song, and just laying it over another beat. This is an insult to both Zelda, and most likely to the rappers who made the songs - If they actually, you know, remixed it a bit, then I'd be cool with it. But just copy+pasting lyrics? That is nothing more than an insult.
Man I wish I had been here when this was posted; I have an overwhelming urge to tell Skyler how wrong he is. OoR is great for anyone who has an appreciation for Zelda and rap. Complaining about the relevance of the beats is flat out stupid, and for anyone whose actually listened to any of the songs on the album, the tracks are actually pretty heavily remixed. But I didn't come here to beat a dead horse, though expressing my love for OoR was originally in my plans.

I was reading this thread in search of some Zelda remixes that I may not already be aware of. I didn't see very many so I'll pose the question: What are your favorite alterations of Zelda songs? I've got a couple, I'll post them.

Great Fairy's Fountain - Rearranged

Kakariko Village from Legend of Zelda: Sound and Drama
G.E.R.U.D.O. - OCRemix
Braving Tal Tal Heights - OCRemix
First Time on Outset - OCRemix
Farore Lies in Wait - OCRemix

Into the Golden Sunset - OCRemix
Ocarina of Rhyme: Aesop Rock - No Jumpercables (Goron Village)
Ocarina of Rhyme: Edan - Fumbling Over Words (Battle)

These are just a couple of my absolute favorites. I think I might've missed a few, may post more later.

Top Bottom