• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let us remember...

HuskytheGeek

Smash Journeyman
As Brawl draws ever closer, we grow more and more excited and less patient for the many false prophets (I personally would like to shoot many of them). We've waited a long time for this game and I, personally, have grown up a lot since the original Smash for the N64. I think it would be interesting to talk about when we first played each of the previous two games and how much we had been anticipating them.

I remember when I first saw the commercial for Super Smash Brothers on the N64. I'm sure we are all familiar with it. The memorable song, the sudden turn, and the stereotypical voice of the narrator. I immediately knew I needed this game. I bought it, played the crap out of it and that's pretty much the end of that story.

A few years later, I found out that Melee was in development and saw some pictures on IGN. I distinctly remember seeing Fox and thinking the graphics were amazing. I waited in line to buy my Gamecube for Christmas on that chilly day in November outside of my local Toys-R-Us store. Promptly after purchasing my black system, two black controllers, and a memory card, my mom took the bags and hid them from me. I eventually convinced her to let me open it up and play Luigi's mansion to ensure there was nothing wrong with the system (I was quite the trickster). The next month and a half's wait was excruciating. On Christmas day, I got my system but no Melee. I was a little disappointed, but I had faith in my other family members. Later that day, I received Melee from my Grandmother. I immediately went into my cousin's bedroom, set up the Gamecube, and played. I haven't stopped since.

There is no other game that I have dedicated more time to. Over these past 6 years. I have never stopped playing this game since it was released. I've done it all. Unlocked all of the characters and deleted them to do it all over again just because I was bored. The hundreds of matches between myself and my best friend alone have become the stuff of legend. We still discover something new every time we play together. It wasn't until a few months ago that we united to get the last few trophies we were missing. We accomplished the feat at last and now are truly ready for Brawl.

It is going on nine years since the original Smash was released. I am now eighteen years old. Half my life has been spent playing this game. It is incredibly geeky to say this, but I feel it is true. Smash has been an important part of my life. It helped me make my best friend. It helped me stay away from drugs and other such things. It helped make me who I am today. Is that a stretch? Probably. However, I truly feel like these past nine years were worth it. I still laugh and curse every time I play Melee. It has been one of the most enjoyable time-wasters in my life.

Therefore, as we flame the false prophets and ***** over who is in and who is not, let us remember the years past and what this game truly means to each of us. For me, it is an experience that brings out the inner, immature child in me that curses like a sailor. Most of all, just have faith. It doesn't matter if this or that character doesn't make it into the game. It will be a masterpiece nevertheless that we will continue to play for years to come.

Soodey

Smash Apprentice
Its eerie how similiar my life is to yours. Seriously, same age, same everything.

SaxyPlayah

Smash Apprentice
Ah, yes, what a great trip down memory lane....your speech brings me to tears Husky, the reminisces of smash were indeed very pleasurable....let us hope to continue to make even more memories with the release of brawl...

*goes to play smash64*

good times....goooood times

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I uh, only played it at a friends house.. But the thing is as long as I haven't played this game. I haven't hung out with all those friends.. When High School came we all parted (I'm a junior now) and the guy who owned the game moved to Virginia...

I do remember.. and I do miss it.

-Onyx

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
As Brawl draws ever closer, we grow more and more excited and less patient for the many false prophets (I personally would like to shoot many of them). We've waited a long time for this game and I, personally, have grown up a lot since the original Smash for the N64. I think it would be interesting to talk about when we first played each of the previous two games and how much we had been anticipating them.

I remember when I first saw the commercial for Super Smash Brothers on the N64. I'm sure we are all familiar with it. The memorable song, the sudden turn, and the stereotypical voice of the narrator. I immediately knew I needed this game. I bought it, played the crap out of it and that's pretty much the end of that story.

A few years later, I found out that Melee was in development and saw some pictures on IGN. I distinctly remember seeing Fox and thinking the graphics were amazing. I waited in line to buy my Gamecube for Christmas on that chilly day in November outside of my local Toys-R-Us store. Promptly after purchasing my black system, two black controllers, and a memory card, my mom took the bags and hid them from me. I eventually convinced her to let me open it up and play Luigi's mansion to ensure there was nothing wrong with the system (I was quite the trickster). The next month and a half's wait was excruciating. On Christmas day, I got my system but no Melee. I was a little disappointed, but I had faith in my other family members. Later that day, I received Melee from my Grandmother. I immediately went into my cousin's bedroom, set up the Gamecube, and played. I haven't stopped since.

There is no other game that I have dedicated more time to. Over these past 6 years. I have never stopped playing this game since it was released. I've done it all. Unlocked all of the characters and deleted them to do it all over again just because I was bored. The hundreds of matches between myself and my best friend alone have become the stuff of legend. We still discover something new every time we play together. It wasn't until a few months ago that we united to get the last few trophies we were missing. We accomplished the feat at last and now are truly ready for Brawl.

It is going on nine years since the original Smash was released. I am now eighteen years old. Half my life has been spent playing this game. It is incredibly geeky to say this, but I feel it is true. Smash has been an important part of my life. It helped me make my best friend. It helped me stay away from drugs and other such things. It helped make me who I am today. Is that a stretch? Probably. However, I truly feel like these past nine years were worth it. I still laugh and curse every time I play Melee. It has been one of the most enjoyable time-wasters in my life.

Therefore, as we flame the false prophets and ***** over who is in and who is not, let us remember the years past and what this game truly means to each of us. For me, it is an experience that brings out the inner, immature child in me that curses like a sailor. Most of all, just have faith. It doesn't matter if this or that character doesn't make it into the game. It will be a masterpiece nevertheless that we will continue to play for years to come.
Thats some deep **** man. Smash truly is awesome...

I remember it well, the old days of the 4 of us getting together, to play smash64 all day long, and to end the day in a huge argumant over who was lame and such, then the next day, we happily repeated it :D

TheBeast

Smash Rookie
I was a late bloomer to the smash world. My cousin borrowed Smash64 from his friend and he instantly told me to use Kirby cause he was the "easiest"(I didn't say it, he did) I played and I enjoyed it, but since it was not his game, I never got to play it again. Then Melee came out and I had no interest at all since i had PS2 and didn't own a gamecube. Around a year and a half ago? One of my friends in college was actually a big smash fan and he would go to the student centre and hog the TV and play smash. At this time the smash community at our school wasn't formed yet, so I got a chance to play it again. I decided to pick fox and fell in love instantly. My cousin, also a fan, bought a gamecube and smash from his co-worker for 20 bucks (no lie) Anyways, me and my cousin instantly started playing non-stop. Luckly i didn't have to do any of the work and he unlocked all the characters and nice stuff for me :D. I'd go over to his house unannounced sometimes and just be like IM HERE FOR SMASH!?! and we'd play non-stop. But then he had to sell it on ebay for money :( anyways. Since around October time, i've become really interested in Brawl and have been on these boards everyday and on the dojo everyday. Ive bought a Wii and a 32inch LCD TV an extra wii mote and two classic controllers (my little brother is a fan also) Anyways, I am a late bloomer and i apologize for that, but believe me, I am as excited about Brawl as the rest of you and can't wait to play you people online.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Ahh... yes. I remember my first time with the Smash series.... It was quite an adventure.

==
==

It was around late January 1999 I believe and I was 11 years old. I did not had internet or any game magazines, so the only way to get news of new game was by my dad taking many to a near Toys R Us just to look at the games. I remember that they had a huge TV there with some buttons that had the games box arts in them. Pressing them would start a short demo video that would explain what was the game about. They Had N64, Playstation, and Gameboy videos there, if I recall correctly. So one day I saw an new button. One with a weird looking Mario kicking this yellow rat thing (at this time, I wasn't a big Pokemon fan). I pressed it and for the first time behold a fighting Mario.........

I was stunned... litiraly. I was just standing there, mouth wide open. My little mind just couldn't process the thought of Mario.... fighting. So from that day... I didn't know what were release date or the sort.. I just thought the game was already out. So I searched, and searched, and searched some more... but every journey yeild with no luck. I was starting to think the game was a fake, and never existed. Until one fateful day on March, near my birthday while watching Dexter's Lab, I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKNgvU6Age8

Now I had a date to look foward too... days were going in a snail's pace. I couldn't wait any longer.... And then the day finally arrived...

On April 26, 1999, 8:21 PM, I played Smash for the very first time. First character: Mario in Training mode

=====
Melee
=====

A year later, (I'm now 12) I finally got a computer, so I could now go to sites like IGN and Gamefaqs. One of my friends though, on hot day in August 2000, told me of this new system called the "Dolphin", and that there was rumors around about a New Smash. I wasn't so interested in the new system, the Smash got my attention. So I went around and found pictures of game for the Dolphin, such as Star Wars and Luigi's Masion... but no Smash...

A few months went by and the Dolphin was now called the Gamecube. I remember visting IGN one day on May and saw this exact video:

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/016...001/movies/supersmashcameo.mov?position=front

Again.... I was stunned. The first thing that popped in my mind: MARIO LOOKS AWESOME. Now I knew it was real. So I started to gather money to get the Gamecube the wait started once again.

On December 3, 2001, 7:18 PM, I played Melee. First character: Mario in Training mode

=====
Brawl
=====

Years went by, and there was no news of a new Smash. I never thought there was going to be another one again, at least for the Gamecube. I was stating to see news of the "Revolution" and how it was going to be played with a TV remote.... needless to say, I wasn't interested. But then... May 5 2006, I saw this in IGN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XrmjZQRQs

Once more.... I was stunned. Plus Snake..... I had a stroke. Never in my life have I have been more excited by just watching Mario pulling off a Shinku Haduken. So this alone made me decide to get a now called Wii and wait... once more..

And I still wait... and is now so close...

So in conclusion, I have never been more excited for any game ever. Every Smash, same reaction, and same wait. When it comes out, I will follow what it seems like a tradition. Play Mario in Training mode before doing anything else.... Just 3 more weeks till my soul gets that feeling once again....

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I agree. That was a nice read, it's like an oasis in the middle of a desert of predicted character rosters.

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
thats ridiculous. i'm a year older but my experience was almost the same except I could only play the 1st smash at my friends house because I couldnt afford it (later got it used) so for gamecube (released 8 days after my b-day) i waited outside of toys r us and didn't get any games until melee (i was grounded at the time anyway). I remember how gamecube was supposed to be the dolphin and wii was supposed to be the revolution. I had already begun calling it the rev (much better name than wii imo)

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

I went over to my friend's house one day (he always had the coolest games), and found that he and some other people were playing a game on the N64 I'd never seen before. And when I say I'd never seen it before, I also mean I'd never seen ANYTHING like it before. It was totally new. At first, the only person I recognized was Pikachu (big Pokemon fan at the time) (heck, still am), and I saw him do that mighty Thunder attack for the first time. Then I saw Mario, Link, Yoshi, and Kirby, and thought, WTF? Then I saw Jigglypuff a little later and also thought, WTF? They were all fighting each other, and it looked so cool.

I didn't get to play SSB64 often (I think I can count on my hands), but when I did, I was always Pikachu. I loved his little Ash hat...but I was 'impostor' Pikachu, because this other girl I knew also used Part Hat Pikachu. Also, the only attack I knew how to use often was Thunder. But it was still amazing, fun, and still more amazing. Good times with old friends.

Some time later, I think 7th grade for me, I heard that another Super Smash was coming out. I checked out an issue of Nintendo Power, and my mind was blown. It was everything SSB64 was, but bigger, better, and there was more! I had to have it. And so, I vowed to get my first game system since SNES and Game Boy Color, the Gamecube, and I had to get Melee. In fact, I even asked my mom to buy Melee first (before the Gamecube!), just so I could read the instruction manual and learn how to really play. I read that thing for many days, and after I did, I burned to play Melee. Then one day I won the district spelling bee, and my parents were so proud of me, a Gamecube was waiting for me when I got home. I was ecstatic. The first thing I did was start Classic mode with Yoshi (I wanted to main him first). My first ever battle was against Kirby at the Fountain of Dreams. It. Was. Magical.

And so on, and so on...many years of amazing secrets, introductions to fun franchises (StarFox and Metroid), epic battles, tough challenges, and funny moments. Melee was the best game ever.

So now here we are, nearing the advent of Brawl. Two years ago, when I saw the first Brawl trailer, I was stunned. The epic music, the atmosphere it created with all the newcomers...it was like nothing I'd ever seen before. I wondered how this game would turn out in the future. I knew it was bound to be epic like Melee, and as amazing as 64 was at the time.

Years later, many Dojo updates later, many trailers later, and after joining SWF a few months ago, I'm here. I'm tired of typing now, so my closing statement:

It's 2008, and I'm ready to Brawl.

HuskytheGeek

Smash Journeyman
i wish i was there to keep that clap going, and wow made you stay off drugs? there should be a smash, not hash shirt
Yeah! I would wear that shirt all of the time. It's funny actually. A couple of my friends would go get high while I played Smash. Then they would come back and I would get pissed off because they sucked *** when they were high.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I remember seeing Smash 64 for the first time in a European gaming magazine way back when. I was blown away by the very concept of all of these awesome characters battling each other. The magazine also showed Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon as well as mentioning that one of the hidden characters likes to wear green (easily insinuating Luigi) and that the other is "so obscure that It's a wonder why Nintendo put him in to begin with. He wears a red cap...".

I wasn't big on looking things up on the internet back then so I eventually left it be for a while until I saw that famous commercial (which is still the absolute single best commercial Nintendo has ever produced, at least here in Canada/US). I borrowed Smash from a friend and much later on (as I was too young for a job at the time) I bought it and loved the hell out of it.

When the trailer for Melee came out I was absolutely floored. Like, Brawl obviously has more than Melee in it but it can't compare to how much more Melee had than 64 (well, I'm actually hoping that it's MUCH more...). I bought a Gamecube for Melee and Pikmin although I never actually got to play Pikmin (largely because all the reviews said that it was way too short - I wasn't prepared to shell out all that money for a 2 hour game).

As amazing as Melee was though, I actually felt that it lost a certain playful touch that 64 had. At first I actually had a bit of trouble adjusting to how fast it went. It was technically superior but until only recently did I consider 64 to be superior (when I learned how Melee could be more competitive and that it actually had tournaments and such my mindset changed and I now regard Melee as one of the best fighters of all time).

Then came the Brawl trailer. I thought that it was pretty cool that Snake would be in it but otherwise I actually had very little interest. At the time I was mostly playing Street Fighter III which made (before I learned about the advanced Melee techniques) Melee look far too childish. I felt that Nintendo was just trying to rip off Capcom and everybody else in using Super Moves. As well, the trailer made it look like it would play the exact same as Melee, which I found disappointing. I really didn't care at all about Brawl for a long time until my little brother told me that Lucas was in it (which I didn't believe until I was shown the site).

Now, I'm a rabid, obsessed fan who finds himself once again experiencing the same sort of excitement that I had way back when when the first Smash came out. Scratch that, I'm far worse this time. I really don't have to willpower to go more than two days without looking at the DOJO site. I haven't been this excited for a game since... well, I really can't remember. Due to school and work I may not be able to take Brawl as slowly as I did 64, slowly sucking in everything that I liked about it, but I have no doubt that I'll one day look back as fondly on Brawl as I do on 64...

Top Bottom