• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Let's-a Play!" - Mario Video Thread

Maruigi

Smash Rookie
http://www.twitch.tv/pwndahbearss/b/592716811?t=201m38s

I'm the challenging Mario player. I'm not really all too great yet but I'm working on him. Any critique would be appreciated.

I feel like I should approach more with short hop dair, and use my specials better. I also need to figure out a way to put down characters with good vertical recovery. I find it to be extremely hard to gimp or even spike them which only leaves me with like FSmash for kills.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
@ Fire! Fire! and @ BSP BSP love the gameplay footage you guys provide. Makes me really want to improve my Mario gameplay.

BSP

Smash Legend
Vs. Shulk

FLUDD KO!

Vs. Sonic

Not sure what I can say outside of telling you to learn how to tech Dthrow. Or, maybe you already know and wifi was screwing you up. I think Sonic gets buffed a little by input lag, but we still lose the MU.

Vs. Peach

Maybe more Bair walling against her air game? Way to not give in the one were she KO'ing while being relatively low.

In general, have you considered edgeguarding more with Mario's back to the opponent? Personally, I think he's much stronger when his back is turned because he's got a quick option for everything.

Other than that, thanks for uploading. It's nice to see other Mario playstyles.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Anyway, whenever it's uploaded, my doubles set with M2K and Inui will be posted on this thread soon along with some friendlies with my friends!

BSP

Smash Legend
So, can anyone tell me anything I'm doing wrong? I know I can still improve.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So, can anyone tell me anything I'm doing wrong? I know I can still improve.
Honestly, it was very hard to critique your matches because your opponents did make some rather questionable decisions. I can recognize that your fundamentals are overall solid, mostly. But maybe I'll revisit your matches and come back to edit this post once I get a slightly more confident feel about where I think your in-game decisions come from.

Okay, critique time:

The B-airs here were not well thought out. That was a risky decision on your part, as a result of misjudged spacing. You realistically should not have committed to the second B-air while you were landing even if the Yoshi was in range for it, given if he was proactive about it, he could have read and powershielded this fairly easily. The only situation in which the B-air might have won you something is if he committed to DA at the wrong moment.

While I feel you have a good handle on F-smash reads, they're not always the best idea against tether grab characters. Consider this moment. Honestly, this is more a matchup specific thing than anything, but here you probably should have considered Jabbing. Yes, it's still good against Yoshi precisely because of his poor grab.

You actually should be using more fireballs, just generally speaking. Especially grounded fireballs. Yoshi does not have a clear punish for them unless he basically does Egg Toss right before you Fireball. Fireballs are something you should use not just simply to harass, but consider doing them to cover his landing options especially as he moves around platforms.

This was likely an opportunity to Jab cancel combo into Grab/D-smash that you missed even though his invincibility wore off. I know in the heat of the moment you want to roll away from spawn invincibility, but realistically, Jab was a safe punish option here, as his invinciblity was gone before he landed.

I think overall from what I've seen about how you play against Yoshi, you need to be more confident in spacing fireballs and using them to cover options. You got punished a bunch of times for short hopping while not facing backwards. A lot more of your success came from when you stuck to good grounded fundamentals, saving your aerials for punish situations and capitalizing with Smashes and grabs in good situations. There did appear to be slight inexperience against Yoshi because moves like Jab were underused, and some of your aggressive aerial spacing is not always wise in this matchup except in situations where you have Yoshi committed to footsies (B-airs are great against him if he tries to just play footsies, because you'll blow through his aerials favorably and you can sorta directly wall out most of his grounded attacks unless he spaces U-smash really well). Though as you've stated yourself, you know that you are overall stronger than this player.

Might be back with a bit more later...

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Ok, thank you for that. I know for a fact that I don't use Fireballs enough and I need to work on incorporating them into my game more.

Jab more, don't be so aggressive with the aerials. Got it.

Last edited:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
This thread could look a little more organize and more in depth. Not trying to sound rude or anything like that.

:pow:

Top Bottom