• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's discuss Rainbow Cruise(We're done with Brinstar, I guess)!

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
:(

Please post evidence when you're describing exactly "how polarizing" a counterpick is for certain characters/certain playstyles. If you cannot find evidence then there is not much point in arguing for/against Matchup Polarization at this time.

Don't we have any guidelines on stage legalization that someone can post/link?
The only guidelines I can think of is Grim's thread that he made recently, and Sunshade's thread that is linked in the first page of the social thread.

tl;dr
perma walkoffs and walls are bad
excessive randomness is bad
mitigating skill is bad
polarizing match ups are bad
popularity is a factor in all this

Roller

Smash Legend
Ice Climbers go from being top tier to NOT VIABLE on Brinstar. That is ****ing stupid. If a stage has that much of an impact on how the game or how characters have to be played, it is essentially making the game significantly less PvP, and way more PvPvS.

It then becomes less about who is better between the 2 players, and more about whose character has more abusive **** they can do on the stage. That is not competitive imo.

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
The question is: Is it WRONG for a top tier character to not be VIABLE on Brinstar, thereby forcing you to switch characters or make Brinstar an auto-ban?

Also, Cruise later.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers go from being top tier to NOT VIABLE on Brinstar. That is ****ing stupid. If a stage has that much of an impact on how the game or how characters have to be played, it is essentially making the game significantly less PvP, and way more PvPvS.

It then becomes less about who is better between the 2 players, and more about whose character has more abusive **** they can do on the stage. That is not competitive imo.
Maybe the Ice Climbers aren't top tier if they are unviable on a stage that isn't broken. Maybe they're rated so high because the starter list buffs them artificially!

Life

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers go from being not viable to TOP TIER on FD. That is ****ing stupid. If a stage has that much of an impact on how the game or how characters have to be played, it is essentially making the game significantly less (P+S)v(P+S), and way more PvP.

Fixed that for you. Fallacy of assuming that flat stages are the default and anything different is bad, 'n' all that.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
The stage itself isn't broken it's the characters that break it.
That makes no sense. If a tiny group of characters totally break a stage, the stage is overcentralizing, and thus broken. If it gives an advantage (even a strong one) to certain characters in certain matchups, it's a good counterpick!

Fixed that for you. Fallacy of assuming that flat stages are the default and anything different is bad, 'n' all that.
THANK YOU!!! Someone has been paying attention!

Life

Smash Hero
@Raz Saving that pic LOL

@Akaku I actually picked up on that from BPC (back when he was cool, heehee), but *highfive* anyway.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
+1 internet for Raziek...

@Complex, lol me too. I mean, I don't agree with him on everything, but as far as stage philosophy, he was right on the money.

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
We are assuming you can switch characters right? Then with Brinstar legal, dedicated ICs will likely no longer be "top tier," but the ICs/Wario combo, for example, will definitely be a force to be reckoned with, with neither character alone necessarily deemed "top tier."

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I've begun a research project on Brinstar. I only have one 8 minute observation so far, but some interesting things are coming up. Like the fact that there are 8 different observable acid heights. There are three different rising rates and four different falling rates. It's pretty interesting.... I'm looking to take 20 data points, but we'll see how patient I am.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Are you putting it all in Excel?
It's on my engineering notepad right now, since I had to do a few dry runs to figure out what kind of data I wanted. Oh, I also have acid duration data. Position H (all the way up) never has a duration (so far), it just hits the height and drops.

Anyways, I'll write a formal report for you guys when I'm done. Data will be presented in graphical form... I'm also going to look for patterns, to see if there are any. Note though that the time length for completion is probably on the order of a week or so.

Steam

Smash Hero
Idk how anyone could say brinstar is 10x more strong a stage than fd... Because in order to make comparisons like that there has to be an assumed "default" situation... And there really can't be one.

:phone:

Tesh

Smash Hero
ICs are a very powerful but very fragile gimmick. Thats why they change so much from stage to stage. Imagine if Snake had a stage where suddenly he wasn't heavy, couldn't kill you at 120 and couldn't blow things up.

Roller

Smash Legend
Except Battlefield is ICs best stage. Just ask Hylian.

ICs like platforms, allows them to abuse their op uair and can cause nair-> IB resets for free grabs.

Welcome to the 2010 metagame. Let me know when you catch up to present day.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Let's buff ICs because Roller is salty and wants IC to become better. My main G&W is dumb and should be banned because he likes aerial stages. Riiight?

Also using nair -> IB to get a grab from a platform is no different than breaking Brinstar in half or using the walls to linger hitboxes or force the opponent to jump with the lava.

Life

Smash Hero
You know, funny, I just had a friend(-ish) yell at me yesterday for refuting the specifics without refuting the argument.

And everyone knows my gameplay is stuck in 2008 anyway, yet I can still argue ruleset philosophy. Get on my level :salt:

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
Let's buff ICs because Roller is salty and wants IC to become better. My main G&W is dumb and should be banned because he likes aerial stages. Riiight?

Also using nair -> IB to get a grab from a platform is no different than breaking Brinstar in half or using the walls to linger hitboxes or force the opponent to jump with the lava.
no different
no different
Thank you. Thank you so much. I like you more every day...

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
"Hazards are very easy to avoid"

You know it's very easy to frame trap an opponent into either getting hit by an aerial or forcing them to air dodge and get hit by the stage.

Life

Smash Hero
"Hazards are very easy to avoid"

You know it's very easy to frame trap an opponent into either getting hit by an aerial or forcing them to air dodge and get hit by the stage.
And that's skill.

Hazards aren't going to hit you out of nowhere--they are meant to be used strategically.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
And that's skill.

Hazards aren't going to hit you out of nowhere--they are meant to be used strategically.
How is that skill? It's no different from anything they would do on any other stage except that on this stage, you have acid below to punish your opponent.

Life

Smash Hero
What's unskilled about it? You put yourself in a situation to get frametrapped, knowing that there's a hazard beneath you, and your opponent capitalized.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
What's unskilled about it? You put yourself in a situation to get frametrapped, knowing that there's a hazard beneath you, and your opponent capitalized.
That is a situation that happens on every other stage. The difference is that on every other stage, there is no acid below you. Are you trying to tell me that players should be trying even harder on this stage not to get frame trapped than they do on any other stage?

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, I don't get it...
lol just saying that I enjoy arguing/agreeing with you more than most people, that's all :)

^this.

Using the lava to your advantage is exactly the same as using SV's platform, or Japes' Klaptrap, or FD's lack of platforms to your advantage.

Life

Smash Hero

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Using the lava to your advantage is exactly the same as using SV's platform, or Japes' Klaptrap, or FD's lack of platforms to your advantage.
What part of those things aren't random do you guys not understand?

That is a situation that happens on every other stage. The difference is that on every other stage, there is no acid below you. Are you trying to tell me that players should be trying even harder on this stage not to get frame trapped than they do on any other stage?
Yes. This is exactly it.

Top Bottom