• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's take a sec to think back...

Apathy

Smash Apprentice
Story time, *****es!

Chances are you've been playing this game for a long time. What are your fondest memories and experiences?

I'll start:

The Legend of Lovage

There is a major dead period in Melee in 2008 and 2009.

We managed to have tournaments on a regular basis, but the problem was talent: the initial generation of players were retiring.

The greatest player to ever pick up the controller, SephirothKen, retired. DieSuperFly and HugS transitioned to Brawl, along with the legendary Palmdale crew. Deep SoCal disbanded.

The unexpected power vacuum wreaked havoc on the community's leadership, a gap that, to this day, has remained unfulfilled.

Mango and Lucky were the only survivors.

So it goes.

The new up-and-coming players? Tofu, Atlus, Neighborhood P, Connor.

The latent talents of 805 loomed, but for time being were in incubation. For what seemed like ages (it was probably six months) it seemed like the only other people I played were Tofu and Atlus. We would beat everyone else fairly easily. Then Tofu would usually beat me, and if I beat him, Atlus would beat me. If I beat Atlus, Tofu would beat me.

--

There was a tournament at Cal Poly, hosted by a hungover David "Kira" Kim.

(Dave is now editor of GQ. R.I.P.)

Kira, a strong player who could expect to place well, had high hopes, but, being hungover, got *****. Soon after he was upset in bracket, he moped around, telling anyone who would listen that he lost to [insert random]. I snickered.

Ten minutes later, Dave was doing the snickering.

I was upset, and eliminated from the tournament, by the tall oddity known by Lovage.

I thought nothing of it.

As time went on, the area code of 805 became ubiquitous. They proudly put their stamp on the scene as the likes of Plan 9 (who, in fact, was an O.G. with the likes of me and Dave), The Great Leon, Replicate, Embracethe12, Riptide, TipZ, and Lovage himself, terrorized the boards with charm.

The area became such a hotspot for good times that I took the 90-minute trek to the heartland of 805: Moorpark. I was to house with Rapelicate -- I called him Rapelicate -- and take part in some serious training.

I had come not just to chill with 805 but to sodomize, to participate in a seek-and-destroy mission. Joe was my only buddy in the area; everyone else I did not know and looked down upon.

Joe mentioned that Lovage would come over tomorrow. I inquired as to Lovage's skill level, but relaxed when Joe stated Lovage was certainly no better than himself.
I paid him no mind; who was this Lovage he spoke of?

(I had actually forgot this was the same player who beat me in my home town; Oscar would remind me of it in a few years.)

After beating Joe for hours, I was satisfied. As Joe and I became familiar with each other, I stopped trying my damndest to win. I even began to approach! He was a sharp talent, eager to learn, and, contrary to my patient, methodical camping (my favorite player? Mew2King. My favorite tactic? Ledge camp), did not play queer.

In the midst of a break, as Joe and I grubbed on some of his mother's home-cooking, a new challenger approached.

As Lovage and I began our first set, tension coursed. It's the feeling that occurs whenever I play someone new. It is a feeling of complete focus, of total annihilation.

It can be summed up in three words: play to win.

Whilst Joe and I shared an intense competitive spirit, Lovage and I seemed to be complete opposites. He was technical, aggressive and flashy. The most technical thing I could do was camp on the ledge with Shino stalls. He was relaxed; I was ruthless. He annoyed me to death by requesting that pause be turned off. I prefer to "rage quit" after each match, but that interfered with Lovage's end-of-stock routine.

Yet, quirks be damned, Lovage consistently one-upped me throughout those friendlies! I was agape!. I unwittingly experienced history repeat itself.

Towards the end of our time together I conceded. I still couldn't understand how he was beating me, but the proof is in the pudding. I respected, and was even in awe, of him as a player.

Little did I know that would become a trend. As Lovage and I were two of SoCal's top 10 players, we competed in tournament on a regular basis. Nary did I come out on top.

Aside: Otto, a.k.a. Silent Wolf, came down to Oxnard that weekend. It's curious what perspective offers, as Mango was telling anyone who would listen how awful and overrated Silent Wolf was. Few in SoCal believed Otto would live up to the hype. I myself was a major hater; I'm sure there are still YouTube comments of Vyse0wnz, hanging in posterity, spewing vitriol towards Silent Wolf's Fox.

Suffice to say that Otto proved everyone wrong. Amusingly enough Joseph Marquez and Otto quickly became butt buddies.

Otto was/is Oscar's idol.

The student becomes the teacher.

Lovage

Smash Hero
it's fun to look back

my perspective:
-i vividly remember this period of time in socal smash history, i feel like it was the first point in my career that i felt real improvement (getting consistently ***** by tofu and atlus for months before gradually being able to beat them)

- i definitely remember beating you at cal poly, you were the first good/respected player i managed to beat in tournament, and the win kinda put things in perspective that ranked players weren't unbeatable

- i remember when you came to joe's house in moorpark, but don't remember having an edge over you in friendlies. besides that though i miss the hell out of 805's golden age (the moorpark era) and really wish there was still a scene here =/

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8psCJ8zp88

Metameme

Smash Apprentice
That moorpark tournament was pretty fun. Back when the melee community played foot tag at tournaments :c

Atlus8

Smash Master
We're the hell can you start?!

-First tourny was back in Oct'06 at CSUN and was excited to play DSF in the second round!

-Toy Mandala tournies hosted by Raging Missiles!

-Constantly getting rides from Festizzio and Tofu!

-STD's!

-THE JUGGERNAUT at Best of '06!

-UCLA Monthlies were always top notch!

-At Fabian's tourny, Mango had yet to make a name for himself and a friend and I called it that he would someday!

-Waking up early at Super Champ Combo and saw everyone sleeping everywhere in the venue!

-Excited as hell to try out Brawl demo at E for All!

-Separation of Brawl and Melee!

-Melee community grew tighter during post-Brawl!

-Pat's house!

-805 enters the fray!

-HomeMadeWaffle's uploading videos!

-Dunk's house!

Luigios

Smash Apprentice
The legendary P getting ***** for months at UCR and then eating the best chicken strips on the planet. ****** fabian would be a close 2nd and only cuz we didnt have chicken strips.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
This thread is awesome and makes me wish I could've somehow, in another reality, been a part of Socal's Melee history. Also Adam is a really good writer. You should, like, write for a magazine or something one day; I'd definitely subscribe. o_O

Apathy

Smash Apprentice
-THE JUGGERNAUT at Best of '06!
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVAGE WITH THE GREEN MONKEYS SHIRT, REPPIN' LEGENDS OF THE HIDDEN TEMPLE!

HAHAHAHAHA @ Mike Haze trolling: "You're pretty good though. What's your name?"

We gave Mike Haze a lot of **** for being a douchebag, but he was pretty ****ing good at Melee. NO ONE CHAINGRABBED LIKE HIM!

And I remember Lucky four-stocking Mike Haze IN TOURNAMENT. I think it was in Luigi's church. Mike Haze was talking so much ****. And then Lucky called it, saying, "I'ma four-stock you" and doing it hella legit. He almost did it twice!

EmbracetheSteven showing me how to smoke weed out of an apple.

Me driving 45 minutes to Dunk's house just to play Silent Wolf. And getting nearly four-stocked when I dared to play my ****ty *** Fox against him. Watching Lovage and Silent Wolf get their footage for their tek skill video.

Driving 50 minutes to train WestBALLZ.

Traveling to San Diego for a tournament (Winter Game Fest?) and housing with Jeremy Amanita, GSUB, and Sung. (Was Sung his name? I know there's a new player named Sung that's confusing me...) That was the first and only time I've ever seen Jeremy upset.

When Tofu and I made a $5 bet centered around him beating Zhu. I bet he wouldn't, thinking it was easy money, but then he did. Zhu had just woke up and got worked by Tofufu! (Zoo got his revenge in Losers, iirc.)

The most epic set ever seen live between HugS86 and the late, great Ka-Master. Those UCLA monthlies were legit!

The dozens of training sessions I had with Smoke2Johnnies, like the time I went to UCLA to play him, Aesis and Tafokints.

The time Broseph Clifford came over and we tripped on acid, partook in a hike and met this MILF who was recklessly flirting with us because she wanted to get some gate fixed.

The time I went to Pasadena to hang out with Ben (the legendary Luigi player: tall, big and full of awesomeness, including random stories making fun of KouryuuXFighter) and his in-the-closet, Smash-hating, Marth-playing, neuroscience-studying friend. We had a mind-blowing trip on shrooms, where I thought I was Steve Nash and closet-homosexual almost got the cops called on him by creepily playing with children in a nearby park.

Playing Gabe and ROFL in tournament at Connor's. Everyone cheering for a Yoshi and me almost choking, and following that up by making a comeback against ROFL as Marth on Yoshi's Story in Game 3.

Fluking it to Losers Finals at a crappy San Diego local, where Mango promptly 3-0ed me, giving me my first exposure to broken double-shine Fox shenanigans.

Smoking weed with GamerGuitarist7.

Reno getting ***** by Fly Amanita at Keeping Melee Alive.

Me getting ***** by random Midwest flunkies at Genesis.

My epic trollfests on YouTube over the years, including trolling the great Amsah on a Genesis video.

The first time I was honestly acknowledged as a good player against Romeo's Marth in losers bracket at a UCLA Monthly.

ROMEO'S MARTH IS SO ****ING GOOD I SWEAR TO GOD!

Traveling deep into the ghetto of Los Angeles to play at PBody's house, where I was friends with nobody and was extremely high. I got into a spat with Danimals and PBody pulled me aside and is like, "How high are you?"

--

Choking it up in NorCal on multiple occasions, including versus Shroomed, against Bob$, and in teams with Mango against Shroomed and random-Ganon. Driving up to Norcal in San Diego Reaper's jeep as Mango goaded me into making fun of SDR relentlessly.

NorCal really deserves more of a narrative. It's tough for me to remember the exact timelines, as I've been up there at least two, and probably three times, and the first two times was so much more tension-filled than any of the others.

This must've been winter of 2008 or 2009. Shroomed was mostly an unknown player at the time, coming out of the absurdly annoying confines of Alan / The Cheese / Ky. I was ensconced in douchebag mode, enthralling observers with an uncanny knack of drawing attention (almost all of it negative) wherever I went. I feared no man, and having never lost to HomeMadeWaffles in tournament, I definitely didn't fear a Doctor Mario.

I stacked the odds against myself, however, by underrating the effects of home field advantage, even going so far as to antagonize The Germ and the rest of DBR, the most respected crew Smash has ever seen.

You already know how Neighborhood P v Shroomed went down, but it was much bigger than that for me. Getting schooled by Sethlon right before the set was a much bigger embarassment. That was my first experience with high-level play of any low-tiers, aside from random meaningless money matches against Mango.

This was in my "I will money match anybody in the world" phase as I willingly pit myself against the world. I remember playing SheridanHyuga in friendlies, asking -- no, begging -- him for money matches he would not accept. (Your Luigi is mad good!) Tofu and I money matched any team that would dare. I barely beat TheCheese in an intense Best of 5 money match. I 2-0ed him with ease to begin, but as he caught on (and as Alan's annoying cheering set in), I had to switch to Marth in Game 5 and eek out a match full of chokesies on Battlefield.

There was also me money matching Norcal hidden boss DP, whose campy *** Falco beat me convincingly. (I camped my *** off to make it respectable, but I left with the bitter taste of being outclassed.)

I had been to Norcal before as an unknown (Broseph Clifford, hidden boss Khepri, Kira, and others traversed up to Norcal to wreck the brackets eons ago) but received little notice, as I was still a quiet adolescent coming into my own. (I remember beating Frotaz in bracket and LOLing at his johns; he was power ranked at the time.)

Norcal as a whole holds a special place in my heart because their talent puts SoCal's to shame. It's not nearly as top-heavy but the depth is unimaginable. There are too many unique playstyles, too many randomly good characters, like Coknater's Ice Climbers, too much teams chemistry and way too much hype.

joeplicate

Smash Master
my favorite moment has got to be keeping melee alive

holy **** has there been another cooler bro'd-out tournament in all time?!?

having like 50 people over at my house in moorpark, dozens of TVs sprawled around my house all night long. playing fly, mango, silent wolf, oscar, everyone else. going to the tournament in the morning on zero sleep and having an awesome time.

when oscar had classes at moorpark college and came over to my house every day after school to play smash, getting it in for hours on end.

blowing on dat endo multiple times, in dave's car driving back from the SF tournament, wandering around the san fernando valley after driving back from san diego at like 5am with steven, oscar, adam, and miguel, and making our way to a 7-11. having no sense of direction or purpose whatsoever. "hey dude, where are we going?" "7-11. It's right there." 10 seconds later... "OH DUDE THERE IT IS PULL IN!"

turning 18 and promptly leaving for a week long smash adventure, staying at miguel's house and watching the olympics hahahaha

PAT'S HOUSE!!!!! having to coerce mango and joey into playing smash with me, then being blown away by their outlook on the game and the different ways to trick/read people.

gradually getting better and better wins, and those brief moments where i felt completely transcendent (beating jman =O)

moving to norcal, meeting everybody, spending soooo much time at brandon's dorms. kicking it with sheridan and drinking too much coffee and getting a reputation for pissing constantly LMAO. eating 1 million pounds of food at denny's

LMFAO - YES at sheridan's house in novato

traveling for 2 hours on bart to play with concord, neglecting math homework to do so

beachhhhh with irvine for jenny's bday

building up the santa cruz smash scene, especially going to the santa cruz diner at like 2 or 3am every thursday night. the waitress with no voice wondering how high we were to embark on such an adventure. joke's on her, we were just nerds :p

dunk's house was a tight party spot but sucked *** for playing smash. dumb kids doing dumb things to themselves lol
edit: drinking with johnny was probably the funnest time i had in this period hahaha

and honestly watching twilight with zac julian alan and dajuan this last weekend was insanely fun too

looking back on it i never really cared that much about the competition. comparing my progress to others always made me feel terrible. when i couldn't beat oscar anymore i felt like ****, watching zac and dajuan move up on the power rankings while i stayed behind.... dwelling on those things never made me feel good, or gave me any motivation to play more.

the best parts of my smash experience were the things that brought us closer together. that's why those early socal days were so tight. everything felt fresh, since i was just getting into the game, and i built up a ton of new relationships around this fresh, new, awesome thing in my life. everything felt intimate because we shared the experience of playing smash, instead of letting pride in smash divide us. even performance-wise, this works the best for me. i never played well harboring ill feelings towards any player, towards myself, whatever. the tournament space is amazing. an intense match, where you're totally engrossed, is the perfect environment to let all your cares, pressures, and judgments evaporate. as you go deeper into yourself, the game makes your play more beautiful.

when it comes down to it, you're not playing to make your opponent feel like ****. you're sharing an experience and both trying to reach your utmost potential.

a happy community is a healthy one =]

D

Deleted member

i started playing seriously too late :c still had good times, but at the same time missed out on a lot too

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Regarding the end of Joe's post: yeah, that's precisely the revelation I had today, actually. I realized that, for me, the game isn't really about winning or losing so much as it is about playing great games (or striving to do so) and creating art within the game. I cared so much for so long about what other smashers thought of my skill level (especially as someone from a "non-central" region like WA; every time I've been out of region I've said to myself "now I have to prove myself!" and end up playing terrible) and it's only served to hurt my perfrmance and enjoyment. Realizing that you and your opponent are ultimately in it together is so wonderful. o_O

Hippie moment, lol. :D

Keep telling Cali stories, reading these are tiiiight

Also maybe I'll post some stories of all the fantastic memories I have of Cali coming up here when I'm on a computer (boback! Peter! MacD! Kira! Joe! Sheridan! Jeff! :D)

:phone:

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
david kim is very interesting to me. do you ever feel these odd connections with certain people in your life, like their life has paralleled yours to an extent? that that's why you've attracted each other in your life? unexplainable mysteries of the cosmos (c) carl sagan. (no, i made that up, but it sounds like a dope show.)

i didn't like dave for a long time. we've been combatants forever. but it was my ego that despised him. emotionally i always had this deep attachment to him. i credit my meditation over the years for me consciously coming to enlightenment about these things.

i remember money matching him at nexus tournaments. those were my first tournaments, and they were a dandy. pandaxmaster got me into this game. he lived in san dimas, which was about 15 minutes from me, and he was ranked 15th or so in socal. i was in awe. a few weeks prior i invited this random falco player. i remember him playing me on corneria, pillaring me over and over. i had no idea what to do; it felt so cheap. but i loved it because it was so eye-opening. a whole new world opened to me that day.

panda was that falco player to the nth degree. that was when i knew i made the right choice in picking sheik. he was so elegant. sheik is so beautiful, so sleek. black and silver.

black and silver was me. for the first two, two and a half years i never changed my color. never ever ever. that was my prime. i wasn't at my best; i was a total noob. i was egotistical and stubborn. but i was intensely focused. i never strayed from sheik in friendlies. i was determined to get good, to give everyone a challenge. i HATED waiting on TVs forever and a day to get next. that's why i started bringing two TVs to every tournament i attended. i feared never getting to play.

luigi's church and nexus. those were my training grounds. i remember playing plan 9 at one of luigi's tournaments, ****** his falcon. i was beating him and i was impressed with myself: plan 9 wasn't a notable player or anything, but he wasn't stupid. that was the first time i learned that even though you could be much better than someone it didn't mean you were smarter than them. polish and intelligence are two different things.

kira, jake the boy, blitz. i remember playing blitz at one of panda's tournaments and money matching him, losing. i vowed i would money match him at every tournament we met. and for the most part i lived up to that for two years. i remember jonathan drove dsf and myself to some ****ty gamecrazy tournament in upland. a BUNCH of good players showed up. at the time i thought little of it -- i was just teeming with excitement -- but in hindsight it was preposterous. DSF was ranked second in socal. why is he going to a random gameclucks? that was DSF, though. gotta cash 'em all.

the tournament was terrible. we were waiting in line when they announced that c-sticking wouldn't be allowed. blitz, who had recently decided to main peach, was whining, saying it was impossible to play peach without the c-stick. i didn't understand what he was johning about. it took me years to realize what he meant.

despite this lack of nuance i beat blitz in both money matches. or maybe i beat him in the first and lost the second. i don't care; i was accomplished. blitz was always a tricky opponent. my ego hated giving him respect, but in reality he was such a creative player considering he represented the average talent in socal at the time. we were all incredulous once his peach took off and he got ranked. WHY IS BLITZ GETTING RANKED?! I CAN BEAT HIM! THESE RANKINGS ARE SO BIASED!

that's what luigi would say. evilnemesis gave no credence to the rankings. it was easy to see why: he was socal's hidden boss. those were my real battle grounds. jonathan drove me to UCR every thursday for what must've been a year straight, if not longer. that campus was privy to some epic smashfests that no one knew about. it felt inner circle.

i was terribly frustrated throughout this time. luigi was absolutely impossible to beat. i would do my best to get close, and then rile him up through egotistical trash talk in hopes of his revealing his true form, just so i would learn how far away i truly was. he hated dashing my hopes, but i begged for it.

jonathan didn't care how much he lost. he played for fun. that drove me crazy. it took me a while to realize what a favor he was doing me. going to ucr every week was the highlight of my life. we would play for hours and hours and hours, driving home bleary eyed, stopping off at carl's jr in the wee hours of the morning. the chicken strips and fries on campus go down as the best food i've ever had. R.I.P.

kira remained my rival, even though we only played once every few months. i improved tons throughout this time but he was always just as good as me. so was blitz. i might win 51% more of our matches but it was never easy, which drove me crazy. he knew i ***** him in sheik dittos and would chain grab to keep it close close. i was very proud of my adeptness in sheik dittos.

i had zero talent for this game. i started out terrible and remained so for years, or so i thought. in actuality i wasn't all that bad; socal was by far the best area in the world at the time. there were at least 50 players at, near or surpass my skill level. you couldn't take any matches or players for granted.

it was me against the world (c) tupac. my ego didn't allow me to befriend anyone. the only thing that mattered was if they were better than me or not. if so by how much? if not how badly did i beat them? not badly enough.

Top Bottom