• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's turn Hype = $$$

Ryuker

Smash Lord
There are 17 clicks on my youtube vids. The amount you get per click varies a lot. I've gotten like $1.50 off one click, and as low as like $0.10c on a click. I think it's based on the amount of impressions in-between clicks.
Only 17 huh. $1,50 for one click sounds high. By impressions you mean what they think advertising on the vid is worth?

Edit: Found one of the vids on your channel that has advertising enabled (and no commentary might I add)
If everyone reading this could click the advertisement on the vid we could see if Eggm makes more or less per click this month. Might help to determine if turning monetization on is worth it or not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txM4ENohbmo&feature=plcp

Eggm

Smash Hero
*obligatory* Please only click the ads if they truly interest you.

By impressions I mean the amount of people who viewed the vid without clicking on an ad.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Monetized my Melee vids like 2 months ago.

Have no idea about the amount per click.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Ah. So the higher the view count for a vid the higher the amount per click?
It actually might be the other way around, btw I have that same page that Chain-ace just posted for my vids. I just don't go to tourney's and record vids anymore like him, that's why he gets so much more money.

Edit: It shows the potential of my idea though.

If the community had one or two accounts that all awesome vids were posted on (tourney vids / combo videos etc...) and had trusted people (like maybe The King from WC and Alex Strife from EC or something) then that account would get tons of subscribers/views/monetization money, even more if people are clicking the ads simply to support smash (although you are limited on the amount you can click per day btw).

I mean look at chain-ace's $10.00 a month isn't too shabby, with an account like the above mentioned it could be something like $200.00 or more, and you could use that to do an awesome monthly thing for the community, whatever the money is used for could be voted on or something.

Alternatively they both do like Genesis/Apex every year and they could use the whole year's worth of monteization money to pay the venue fee and have those tournaments each year without having to charge anyone a venue fee, that would be amazing. Or at least a greatly reduced fee.

Edit: I think the reason they give more CPC when the impressions are higher is because more people viewed the ad (even though they didn't click on it) so it's valued more.

It could also be for anti-spam purposes. Your clearly not abusing the system by having your friends click the ads if you are only getting 1 click every 2000 impressions.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Thanks Chain-Ace. Ad-sense is starting to look more interesting.

Agree Eggm. That's why I'm looking into this for our own community. I don't think the euro scene would generate much if all the account were scattered but one centralized account could.

The idea of directing it to one big pot is so it can be used to support the scene (cover for the cost of equipment or gas costs for example, or provide free food at events). Another reason is because if one would start earning money through the vids then everyone involved in the vids might start wanting a share of that to. That's why I think it's best if it stays in the community so no one feels left behind.

But looking at your channel I'm really curious what a channel like AJP's would have generated the past year. It nearly doubled it's view count by 400k and considering his setup breaks quite often it could have helped him if he turned monitization on.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Well, I hope you figure it out and how to optimize it to help the community best in EU and then we mimic here!

Edit: The only cool thing about it making people feel left behind is more people might be inspired to start recording, which is a good thing, but it would def be better in a centralized account that helps the community as a whole.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Uhhh...only going off what other youtube partners have said but isn't posting the amount of money you've made against contract? Possibly just a lie but as for monetizing your videos, so many people put videogames on youtube and make money off of it. Even one's without commentary so if they do say that there's copyright stuff to get past, it's obvious you can claim fair use and can probably get permission from Nintendo if it's actually necessary which I'm not sure that it is because this is the first I'm hearing of such a thing.

Uploading copyrighted music is different but since your playing the video game at the very least they won't be taking you to court so trying to get a partnership might be a good idea. Worst case scenario they say no.

Top Bottom