• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lets Use Brawl to Introduce New Players To Melee.

Smilez

Smash Journeyman
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POST B4 POSTING...I KNOW ITS LONG.
Well I've been playing Brawl for a couple months now. I've come to a solid conclusion that I do not enjoy playing Brawl as much as I did Melee. Not that I don't understand it or I can't adapt. Thats not the case at all. I feel that Brawl can be very easy to pick up. Most techniques are simple enough and it doesn't have as much depth as other fighting games.(In my opinion) But this is nothing new, my views has been expressed countless times right here on SWF.

With that said I was very close to stop playing a game that I very much enjoy(Melee) b/c I felt that Brawl essential murdered the Melee community. This is the wrong way to look at this situation. This is an "Glass Half-Empty" approach. Brawl can serve to enhance the Melee community more than any of us could have imagined.

Hear me out. What were biggest complaints about Melee? Glitches? Chain-Grabs? Balance?
All of these issues are more abundant in Brawl yet we still see new Brawl players playing every week in tournaments. Each of them practicing, training, and improving both technically and mentally.

Is Brawl more fun? Some may argue this point but I disagree. I feel that Melee was too technically DEEP for new players. Can you imagine new player jumping into a competitive environment such as Melee without knowing any Advanced Techniques? Yeah he/she might make through a match with a knowledgeable player but he would never consider playing again once he found out how far behind the learning curve he was.(That only fueled my hunger to learn more...but some are different I admit) Worse if he wasn't a naturally smart player. How could he combat the mind games associated w/ Melee? He couldn't. He would lose match after match until got frustrated enough to stop playing. He would insist that player who won cheated w/ glitches and cheap tactics. Not that they practiced and played smart.

So what is the answer?
Tell him to Quit?...............NO
Tell him to play Brawl?........YES
Wait......................WHAT!?!?

Yeah that what I said: "Tell him to play Brawl"
WE(The Melee & Brawl Communities) can exist together. We already do. Brawl tournies are held in conjunction w/ Melee tournies.
MELEE doesn't have to die with Brawl....it can be reborn with it.

Encourage new players to play Brawl and Melee. Let them learn the smarts that are needed to be successful in Brawl and apply them to Melee. Brawl can provide an competitive arena for new players go gain knowledge about the deeper game of Melee. This way they are not so unprepared when playing Melee.

You don't throw a toddler into the ocean to teach him how to swim.
You take him to the kiddie pool and show him how to kick his legs, swing his arms, and hold his breath.

This isn't all hypothetical either. I've introduced at least 4 new players to Melee by buffering them w/ Brawl sessions first. They've gotten really good at Brawl and they are getting better at Melee.

So lastly I encourage Veteran Melee players to continue doing what makes you happy. Don't knock what makes other players happy but instead encourage them so they can 1 day understand your enthusiasm.

DISCUSS.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
I thought your explanation was pretty good. And in this sense, nobody really loses. After being introduced to the two games, those that wish to stay with Brawl and help develop its juvenile metagame may choose to do so. Those who wish to immerse themselves in the already developed Melee metagame may choose to move to this game instead. In the end, both communities grow and prosper.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I really hope that your message gets out to everyone man. That's a great idea, but I can't partake in it because no one even remotely close to me plays either game competitively. Renth is too cool.

Smilez

Smash Journeyman
I thought your explanation was pretty good. And in this sense, nobody really loses. After being introduced to the two games, those that wish to stay with Brawl and help develop its juvenile metagame may choose to do so. Those who wish to immerse themselves in the already developed Melee metagame may choose to move to this game instead. In the end, both communities grow and prosper.
Thats exactly what I'm getting at. I don't feel that initially you need to choose one or the other. Tryout both games, try to progress and then see which one appeals to you more. I'm glad you understood.

Sh0ckwave

Smash Journeyman
not even kidding, my dad threw me in the ocean when i was a toddler to teach me to swim, and did the same to my other 6 brothers and sisters. about half of us can swim. the other half hate my dad.

o yea and your whole idea is decent in theory i guess

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
not even kidding, my dad threw me in the ocean when i was a toddler to teach me to swim, and did the same to my other 6 brothers and sisters. about half of us can swim. the other half hate my dad.

o yea and your whole idea is decent in theory i guess
Wow.... Just... wow...

I actually really like this idea. Me being a brawl exclusive player, even. Melee is really fun, I just don't have a lot of time to get as good as the people who have been playing it for 7 years. I could never hope to win my money back for entering like I can with brawl.

Smilez

Smash Journeyman
Wow.... Just... wow...

I actually really like this idea. Me being a brawl exclusive player, even. Melee is really fun, I just don't have a lot of time to get as good as the people who have been playing it for 7 years. I could never hope to win my money back for entering like I can with brawl.
You would be surprised how far you can go w/ a little practice and friendlies w/ some good players. Its pretty much the same w/ Brawl. Stop making Johns....lol. I'm just playing about the Johns thing. I would encourage you to keep playing Melee when you get a chance. Also good luck w/ you Brawl ventures.

Sh0ckwave

Smash Journeyman
a few videos with top pros, some training with other people who are good or willing to get better, some smarts and about 5 months to fine tune essential technical skills is all it takes to hang with melee tourney vets.

in the meantime, playing brawl to get used to smash basics couldn't hurt.

Frames

DI
truuuuuuu part of the reason i did fast was because i wanted to see the two different communities come together for a weekend, i like your style smilez

edit - you should post this in like general discussion or something so everyone can see it

Life After Death

Smash Champion
I wouldnt hate brawl if it was responsible for killing melee. *** you sakurai I hope he fuking dies im not even kidding either ima hunt him down and kill em myself. f@ggot sakurai likes men

Finch

Smash Lord
The "melee takes 7 years to get into" mentality has to die. Hungrybox has been playing for like a year? He's already securely at the top echelon of players.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
I liked this post. Made me want to play some Melee after not playing it for a while.

edit: This should really be the mentality of the entire community,... it just isn't that way. I am sure there will always be a group of smashers that will always despise Brawl.

Zoro

Smash Champion
Really now?
Thats saying a lot.
what are you trying to say

that it does take a long time to get into it or that hungry isnt at the top

cuz im pretty sure his tournament placings show exactly that

and yeah he has been playing for about a year

also the time it takes to get good depends on the player

i take 3 years (and im not good yet)

hungry takes 1

people like sick and nasty take a few months and they are already really good
im just assuming because i remember their first appearances at gigs and someone asked if they went on smashboards or if they played anyone and they said no.

Pick up falcon or sheik i think they have the easiest learning curves in the game but thats just my opinion.

Eugenio

Smash Lord

I agree with this post. Although, unless you have a decent community near you, getting good at melee is a real chore. Especially since most gamers look at melee as a party game to d*ck around:urg: I like how you basically called brawl melee practice, lol. Unfortunately, all the people I played in melee that sucked all play brawl now... and they love it:ohwell: but maybe that will get them into brawl like you said.

Kasumi

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I never come into the Atlantic South section, and when I do, I see this topic. I do like the idea. Quite a lot.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
We don't want to scare away Melee players do we? Lack of combos and stupid game mechanics will make them cry for their mothers and ditch both games. Don't send them to brawl.

Laijin

Smash Hero

hungry takes 1

im just assuming because i remember their first appearances at gigs and someone asked if they went on smashboards or if they played anyone and they said no.

Pick up falcon or sheik i think they have the easiest learning curves in the game but thats just my opinion.
To be honest, I don't know how well hungry does at tournaments. But if he places pretty high, then thats awesome.
Falcon does not have an easy learning curve. Falcons are usually ********.
Sheik however, does have a easy learning curve. Then Peach and Zelda.

Zodiac

Smash Master
very interesting, basically brawl is like the tricycle with training wheels to build up the know how of the basics. and melee is the souped up Harley motorcycle, I will definitely give this a try.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace

hungry takes 1

hungrybox gets better faster only and only cuz he plays jigglypuff. I can say this because I've been playing with him since he first started picking up the game.. When I was learning tech skill all he was learning was mindgames because jigglypuff takes 0 tech skill. In melee I believe you have to "unlock" a character before you get good with him. to unlock fox you need L-canceling, shinedashing wavedashing, crouch canceleed attacks, ocasionally upsmash out of shield, shfl, shdl helps too. while I was unlocking my characters he was already getting good. most people say they've been playing for 3 years or so but in that time how much time have you spent with your character unlocked because thats the only thing that matters.

I've had about 3 months or less with my chars unlocked hense why I suck at melee.

people don't like melee because it takes time to unlock a character when in brawl your characters are already unlocked.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
just play the game or don't play it.

They are two different games that appeal to two different crowds. You can't "apply" brawl skill to melee (not very much at least) and you can't do the vice versa either. People who think brawl is awesome generally don't think melee is awesome and never will and vice versa.

Just play one, both, or neither. and then once you decide, stfu.

If you don't learn to play with technical accuracy, YOU WON'T WIN IN MELEE. The overwhelming majority of Brawl noobs are not interested in practicing waveshining and falcon 0-death combos. They just want to spotdoge upsmash. AND THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

There's this notion floating around this community that Brawl is like Melee's insubordinate ******** little brother. Its not a "dumbed down" version of Melee, ITS A DIFFERENT GAME, ENTIRELY. Stop comparing them.

and the only way you get good at melee quickly is if you play jiggs/sheik, live in FL, or live on the east coast. otherwise it takes like 3 freaking years.

Top Bottom