• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Work On Your Coordination: The WFT Video and Critique Thread

Duc

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, I'm starting to upload videos of matches I have with people. I'll get a better HD video capture machine for uploading future matches so bear with the current quality.

xx99

Smash Cadet
NNID
RagingCactus
3DS FC
3480-2539-5913
I'm seeing hardly any use of RAR. It seems like one of WFT's best approach and kill options to me. Of course, it's better to keep it fresh if you're going to use it as a kill move.

Am I wrong? I'd love any insight on why it's not being used. I could see the argument that it's outclassed as an approach option since it doesn't start combos, but I can't really see why it's not a great kill option.

xx99

Smash Cadet
NNID
RagingCactus
3DS FC
3480-2539-5913
What move from RAR specifically?
Sorry, I guess RAR does not necessarily refer to b-air, especially since WFT can actually use RAR f-air and RAR n-air.

I did mean b-air. It's quick, has decent range, and is totally capable of killing opponents. It admittedly kills at higher percentages than her smashes or f-tilt will, but it's great for edge-guarding and after Deep Breathing it will kill on-stage opponents around 120%.

madworlder

Smash Apprentice
I think B-air is amazing. If you sweet spot it with Deep Breathing on the side of a stage, it will kill very early. It's her only option for hitting the space immediately horizontal to her in the air, so it's extremely important.

Fair is best when you have a projectile on the screen, you can force opponents to react to the projectile and punish accordingly- the front of Fair punishes jumps, the back punishes shields and dodges on the ground. It's great crossing up with fair, it does a lot of shield damage and makes it difficult for the opponent to punish. If you don't/can't have a projectile out (your opponent is trying to infight you) I would say Bair is almost always the better option.

I don't use Nair much even if it is her best starter- you just have to hit too deep with it.

xx99

Smash Cadet
NNID
RagingCactus
3DS FC
3480-2539-5913
I hadn't thought of f-air + projectiles so explicitly before. I obviously agree that b-air is great, and I think RAR significantly improves its usefulness.

I was just wondering if the lack of RAR b-air in the vids meant it had some downsides I was missing.

I've been trying to use n-air more, but haven't had much luck with it unless my opponent's on a platform.

Sorry for so many posts without a vid. I'll try to get at least one good WFT replay the next time I'm playing somebody decent.

Last edited:

Heropon_Riki

Smash Cadet
NNID
yojo98
Hi everyone, I'm starting to upload videos of matches I have with people. I'll get a better HD video capture machine for uploading future matches so bear with the current quality.

You seem to have a problem with not mixing up your spacing enough. When you have the jiggly away, try not using Sun Salutation every time, use header at different angles, nair and reverse bair, ect

djconcarne

Smash Rookie
Here's a WFT mirror match I had on for glory. Learned a couple things from my opponent and I hope he learned some things too.
Me :4wiifit:v Marco:4wiifit:

GalaxyWaffles

Smash Apprentice
Here's a WFT mirror match I had on for glory. Learned a couple things from my opponent and I hope he learned some things too.
Me :4wiifit:v Marco:4wiifit:

A couple things..
  1. When you recover aim for the ledge instead of on stage. The ending pose on her UpB is kinda long. It's too risky to be landing on stage cause you'll definitely be hard punished. Your lucky Marco only punished you once for doing that..
  2. Personally I'd like to see more use of her N-air as it can help you rack % and in certain cases it's a good tool to use.
  3. I like your use of Deep Breathing but there was one instance where you did a DB and you were literally right in front of his face. Marco didn't really react to it but others most likely will and see it as a good chance to punish you or rush in. Just be mindful of where and when you use it.

Last edited:

djconcarne

Smash Rookie
Thanks. Yeah. There were definitely mistakes I made and I was aware of everything you pointed out. I usually recover from under the ledge, I think for some reason there was a couple seconds there where I kept using hula hoops above the ledge. I was trying to psych him out or something xD. And yeah that DB in his face was an input mistake, I remember being like "NOO" at that moment. I wanted to cancel into air dodge but it didn't come out the way I wanted.
Will definitely take using more Nair into consideration. Im just really liking her back air right now.

My play style with WFT is constantly changing and I try different things all the time. I really feel that she is one of those characters that can adapt to almost any matchup and she gives some of the higher tiers a run for their money if used right.

xx99

Smash Cadet
NNID
RagingCactus
3DS FC
3480-2539-5913
Won a tournament :p

Grand finals here V

http://www.twitch.tv/CanadianJoysticks/b/596459116
7:13:00
Really nice playing (and nice win!); that was fun to watch! There's a lot of good variety on display and exciting finishes in games 2 and 3.

You do a good job approaching with n-air and make great use of empty short hops.

You do great with b-air in general and it's nice to see some RAR b-air! I'm relatively casual, so take my advice with a grain of salt — it seems to me that you would benefit from being a little more reserved with b-air so it can kill when you do land it.

It was fun to see a couple instant headers from the ledge that send the ball along that awesome low path right across the stage — it's one of my favorite tricks with WFT. I think a lot of WFT players under-utilize it. You do a good job of using it sparingly enough that you can catch your opponent off-guard when you do use it.

You used f-tilt effectively a few times, but I don't think I ever saw a pivot f-tilt. Maybe you could use it to replace a dash attack every now and then?

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Found a very interesting video regarding Wii Fit Trainer on the ledge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOxaWEW_wZw

I'm not too sure what he's exactly doing but it seems like he's cutting out the time it take to come up from the ledge or something along those lines..
It's instant ledge hopping. Definitely a good AT for WFT who can play the ledge pretty well, has a great momentum cancel that cancels into shield and a fantastic ledge trump game to be scary near it when the situations are reversed.

edit: http://smashboards.com/threads/instant-ledge-hop-cancel-refurbished-at.381992/

Last edited:

Banette

Smash Cadet
Won a tournament :p
May I just say that I find your use of the air dodge quite impressive? Well done: this was a fun match to watch :3

The reversed Ftilt out of a dash at about 20:30m is a move I imagined to be quite effective, and it seems so in actuality! Did you set the C-stick to tilts to more reliably fight your opponent with your back turned to them if I may ask (and to help you perform the action of 20:30m more easily)? It seems like a decent option seeing that Wii Fit Trainer seems to lose next to nothing, but who am I to imply such a thing? :o

xx99

Smash Cadet
NNID
RagingCactus
3DS FC
3480-2539-5913
May I just say that I find your use of the air dodge quite impressive? Well done: this was a fun match to watch :3

The reversed Ftilt out of a dash at about 20:30m is a move I imagined to be quite effective, and it seems so in actuality! Did you set the C-stick to tilts to more reliably fight your opponent with your back turned to them if I may ask (and to help you perform the action of 20:30m more easily)? It seems like a decent option seeing that Wii Fit Trainer seems to lose next to nothing, but who am I to imply such a thing? :o
WFT can definitely rock the Attack C-stick, but pivot tilts aren't too hard to do even if you're C-stick is set to Smash. Just make sure you keep the control stick pointed in the pivot direction until after you press A.

Last edited:

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Yay! Finally a WFT main who can tomahawk grab! I was going to post something about how you can SH air-dodge/n-air and squeeze in a b-air but you've already got that covered. Good stuff.
(Just don't waste respawn invincibility on charging sun salute please. That made me cringe).
What would you recommend doing during respawn invincibility? I usually go for deep breathing + one of WFTs KO moves e.g. pivot Ftilts (if my opponent is at high %). I'm looking to build strategies (new WFT user) and Big D's idea of getting a "free" charged SS seems pretty good to me.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Here is my tournament set against SK92.
I saw this early this morning~
I kept thinking how much better FFnair was working for you than the SHnair I was seeing in your earlier games. The set against Bear was also pretty sweet. Nothing feels as good to watch as a WFT main than soft nair into Usmash combos.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
What would you recommend doing during respawn invincibility? I usually go for deep breathing + one of WFTs KO moves e.g. pivot Ftilts (if my opponent is at high %). I'm looking to build strategies (new WFT user) and Big D's idea of getting a "free" charged SS seems pretty good to me.
Goingfor Sun gives them the opportunity to do whatever they want to because you spend your entire invincibility frames. I don't mind charging sun, but its done in a way that they are not pressured by you at all, which means no stage positioning gained from invincibility.
Imo, stage pos > SS

I mean, you can usually get a the hit that sends your opponent off stage and then charge a full sun, so why bother charging it first and potentially letting someone recollect themselves?

Last edited:

DRU192

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DRU192
Goingfor Sun gives them the opportunity to do whatever they want to because you spend your entire invincibility frames. I don't mind charging sun, but its done in a way that they are not pressured by you at all, which means no stage positioning gained from invincibility.
Imo, stage pos > SS

I mean, you can usually get a the hit that sends your opponent off stage and then charge a full sun, so why bother charging it first and potentially letting someone recollect themselves?
Good points regarding stage positioning. I'll definitely give more thought to how I use invincibility. Thanks.

Arean

Smash Ace
Any alternate links to the tournament video? It seems to be removed.

Edit: Nvm, the original has been replaced with a YouTube video. I really loved the use of Nairs to F-tilt. Also, air dodges to bairs, I should incorporate that to my gameplay.

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Me playing earlier. I read the forums heavily and watch as much as i can but i played poorly. SpScarecrow For Glory (Wii Fit Trainer): http://youtu.be/bHk-sSa2ThM
Since there's so much to take in and it's spread over a multitude of disorganized threads, you might not be retaining it as well as you think. Try taking what you learn in chunks and practicing it piece by piece.

I will say that you did something I wish I saw more from other WFT players: Going offstage. If you watch the vid again, you actually scared Charizard into SD'ing. He could have easily made that back if you just waited for him to get close in order to use SS or something. Keep that up, since Wft is easily in the top 10 as far as offstage game, everyone should be taking advantage of it.

Arean

Smash Ace
Those matches by AceStarThe3rd are SO entertaining. That upsmash though to captain falcon, amazing that it was able to hit him from the side.

Top Bottom