• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Letting People Win...

Giga Pichu

Smash Apprentice
This just happened to me recently. I was Brawling my Bro with Olimar (and I play a GOOD Olimar) and i was owning his Diddy Kong Bigtime. one match, I decided to give him a chance by not going as hard, and he beat me. NOW hes all high and mighty with Diddy Kong, thinking he can beat everyone. i tried to tell him i went easy on him. then he procceded to complaining that he beat me fair and square, which gets VERY ANNOYING. I tried to rematch him with Olimar, but he refused. So, I then tried proving him wrong with R.O.B. (another of my mains) and owned him. stil thinking hes better then me, kicked me, threw the controller away, and stormed upstairs. so then i used good ol' Wolfs FAMOUS quote on him, while he was going upstairs. "Your good, but im BETTA!"

has this ever happened to you, where you let someone win and they get all high n' mighty with you?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I prevent the situation by never letting anyone win ever. If you beat me, you can claim you earned it. It's not only simpler that way, but it seems kinda disrespectful to my opponents to not give them my all.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
The only time I go easy on someone is the first or second round, when I'm "warming up" (AKA reminding myself of all my tactics/mindgames/mixups).

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Why would you let him win though? And if he feels better about it, he's just a little kid (from what it sounds like at least). Cut him some slack.

Don't let him be too arrogant about it, but don't try and fight back either. Best option is to keep beating him in the future.

If he won he feels like he won fair and square and this is ultimately your fault.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Once upon a time, long, long ago, and in a galaxy far, far away I did this kind of thing. Whenever I played with a certain group of friends I would generally go easy on them or "play casually", probably because they weren't as much into the competetive scene as I was etc. Anyway, one day one of them said something to the effect of (referring to me) "well you're good, but I'd rather fight you than *other friend's* Ganondorf". I'll admit I got a little miffed when he said this and said something to the effect of "oh come on, you know I don't play my best with you guys". He also got miffed that I was holding back, and asked me to never go easy on him.

The moral of the story is that after they had to deal with me really giving it to 'em, they've actually become much better Smashers since. They're still not tourney-ers, but they're a good bit more fun to play with.

SmashCentralOfficial

Voice of SmashCentralOfficial
This is why I only play with people who are almost at my level, at my level, or better than me.

I'd never play with my little sister or something.

And if I let one of my friends win, it's because I was playing stupid and I deserved to lose.

walla_homie

Smash Apprentice
i uselly play with my friend Mike and his not so good but he dosnt go all
"HAXORRZ I WONZ" when i "led" him win.
to bad my little sister does :(

camden

Smash Apprentice
I never let my little brother win when we play. Yeah, he's 9, boo hoo. He gets better everytime we play, and besides, he gets super-cocky everytime he wins at something, so when I do ever let him win, he thinks he's king of the world. I just beat him over and over again, and someday, he may beat me repeatedly as well. Until then, he's going to lose. No free rides. :)

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
every single one of my friends either hate brawl or they suck terribly. Alot of my friends think brawl is gay just because they have no skill I have zero competition and i am sick and tired of playing random vs a ranom lvl 9computer!!!!!! and wifi is too slow!!!!!! The only competion i have is this one friend i might see like 6 times a year who is really good and keeps me on my toes.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
This just happened to me recently. I was Brawling my Bro with Olimar (and I play a GOOD Olimar) and i was owning his Diddy Kong Bigtime. one match, I decided to give him a chance by not going as hard, and he beat me. NOW hes all high and mighty with Diddy Kong, thinking he can beat everyone. i tried to tell him i went easy on him. then he procceded to complaining that he beat me fair and square, which gets VERY ANNOYING. I tried to rematch him with Olimar, but he refused. So, I then tried proving him wrong with R.O.B. (another of my mains) and owned him. stil thinking hes better then me, kicked me, threw the controller away, and stormed upstairs. so then i used good ol' Wolfs FAMOUS quote on him, while he was going upstairs. "Your good, but im BETTA!"

has this ever happened to you, where you let someone win and they get all high n' mighty with you?
Yeah. I'm currently in college right now, and I know quite a few Smashers here, but none are competitive Smashers like I am (Have been a competitive Smasher since 2002 or so with Melee, continuing with Brawl). So of course there isn't much of a challenge.

There are a few guys who are really good for non-competitive players, but I pretty much constantly wreck them 4-1 or 4-2 with all of my mains when I'm putting forth maybe 80-90%% effort. These are the guys who have also played SSB64 and SSBM, so they know what they're doing, they just haven't really taken it to the next level yet. Most of the time they legitimately kill me once or twice in a match. However, there will be occasions where I'll slow down against them to let them land a hit, ESPECIALLY when they're down to their last stock and have decent damage, and I still haven't lost a life yet (I think 4 stocking them is a little too much so I let them take at least 1 off). So of course sometimes they do a little trashtalking when they kill me, but it's all in good fun.

HOWEVER, I do know another person who plays a very scrubby Lucario and Lucas (Roll -> smash, shield grabs, projectile spam, little to no airgame, etc etc). He really doesn't have that much skill to be honest, but thinks he's hot ****. Anyway, one time I'm playing against him for fun. I take it fairly easy on his Lucario but still embarass him with some spikes and edgehogs, which cause him to yell out "WHAT THE **** WAS THAT?" or "THATS SO CHEAP!" After one of my kills I decided to do some dash dancing and SHFF aerials, to which he responded "CALM DOWN." Yeah, total noob. I figured he would just ***** and moan when I did certain things that are part of my normal game, so I decided to let him win the next match. I still kept it close, but allowed him to win 4-3. After that all **** broke loose and he went around bragging that he beat me. Such an ignorant scrub.

Side note: There's another Smasher I know, but I can constantly beat him 5-1. After a while we set the stocks to 2 and I let him have close matches (I would win 2-1, 2-0, or even let him win). It makes him happy of course, but at least he doesn't go around bragging...

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!

I never let anyone win for this very reason. Either they beat me or they don't.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I never just "let" my friends win because then the game's not that much fun...but when we do play together, I don't play half as seriously as I normally do alone and we'll play stages like Distant Planet and Spear Pillar...now that I think about it though...I never use Peach nor Marth when playing against them...huh...maybe I do go easy on them o_O;...

-Ran

Smash Master
1. Don't sand bag unless you're prepared for people to think they are better.
2. Your brother is teasing you. He knows if he plays you again, he'll lose, and he finds it more enjoyable to get under your skin by little brother mind games.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well it makes me angry when people take it easy on me. I'd rather fight them no matter how good they are. If you take it easy on me, I'm just going to get mad and probably never play you anymore because of that.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
I've never really LET anyone win, but I have a bit of a douche bag friend. He will land, say, Zelda's sweetspotted bair/fair on me and say "****ING SICK! That was awesome!", even though I'm 3 stocking him. With Captain Falcon. 0.o So when i land a knee, I go "****ING SICK! Did you see that?! Just sick!" and he tells me to shut up. **** scrubs...

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I don't mind letting people win if I know they aren't very good/serious about it. I'll usually play as a character I don't have much experience with, and even though I can still consistently beat them I'll let them have 1 or 2 just so they won't get mad and quit.

I've never had the experience fighting someone with an ego like that, if I go easy on someone, most of the time I'll hear the usual "I won! I beat you!" but that'll be it, and we'll play again. But if I did I'd probably just absolutely **** them once and turn off the game.

Some of you people must have ****ty friends.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I only Sandbag if I know I will win while sandbagging anyway.
I just dont let people win. 90% of the time in my case, if you beat me, you earned it.Sometimes I mess up badly or use Diddy Kong for lulz (I literally have not used him 5 times, I never have barely touched him since Brawl Came out) and people understand if I screwed up or was lulzing. Well, except 2 people I know, but there complete idots, so... :p

romarthx2

Smash Rookie
Happend to me a few times. One of my friends beat me ONCE while i was Marth because he gimped me twice (3 stocked match) and now he was all like "I PWNEd YOU NOOB" i told him that it was only 1 win and was an unfair win and he's like "Liez". It's only when i bet $10 that i would win that he would refuse cause he knows i can kick his *ss >.>

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I let people who suck and obviously don't play the game much beat me.
Not people online, but like my brother, cousins, and random people that come over to my house.

I mean, who cares? =P

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I've never really LET anyone win, but I have a bit of a douche bag friend. He will land, say, Zelda's sweetspotted bair/fair on me and say "****ING SICK! That was awesome!", even though I'm 3 stocking him. With Captain Falcon. 0.o So when i land a knee, I go "****ING SICK! Did you see that?! Just sick!" and he tells me to shut up. **** scrubs...
Haha, one of my friends will yell out "AW GIANT KNEE OF JUSTICE" when he lands it even though I have a huge lead. Although in this case, it's well deserved.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
yes this has happened to me
but sometimes one must hold back to go all out XD

Roihu

Smash Ace
Wow.
You people have sucky friends.
Me and my friends take the game so casually.
Whenever someone lands a cool 'combo' or just chain of attacks, we all say "OH!!!" like it's the biggest thing in the world. When something funny happens which makes a player die in a stupid way, we all laugh, even the person that got killed. When someone wins, we just try to beat the crap out of that person next turn.
I guess I just know how to pick my friends.
We DO brag, but it's just bragging for fun, just to piss the person off a bit, which gives us lulz for some stupid reason.

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
Wow.
Whenever someone lands a cool 'combo' or just chain of attacks, we all say "OH!!!" like it's the biggest thing in the world. When something funny happens which makes a player die in a stupid way, we all laugh, even the person that got killed. When someone wins, we just try to beat the crap out of that person next turn.
We DO brag, but it's just bragging for fun, just to piss the person off a bit, which gives us lulz for some stupid reason.
This man gets it!

After all this is a video game.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Wow.
Just because my friends suck at everything compared to me, doesn't mean they're bad friends.

Or does it?

Roihu

Smash Ace
Just because my friends suck at everything compared to me, doesn't mean they're bad friends.

Or does it?
When they get pissed off over something simple, it doesn't necessarily mean they're bad friends, but it does mean they're stupid.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
I feel like the potential victim in this situation... since I'm not sure what to think on this.

First, just like every one of these kinds of thread, I kinda force myself in the role of the acted (i.e., the sandbagged, the epic failure, the angry person, whatever) 'cause I'm not really... up to par with ANYONE I've played with. Maybe I should just ask to play the worst person here on FF or something...

Anyway, continuing that line of thought, I can say that I'll call shenanigans if I end up winning. I've just been lacking THAT much in confidence that pretty much any win I get for a while now I'll dismiss as a fluke. For sure, though, I can't say sandbagging really helps anyone, even though there's a part of me that'd really appreciate it (the other part's calling shenanigans as I mentioned earlier). So... I really don't know.

So... what's best for the extremely small subset of underconfident SWF members that actually have a REASON to be underconfident (lol probably just me)?

Smash Master
When I am better than someone, I don't go easy on them, but I use bad characters. I like when others do that for me. I don't like getting thrashed over and over again to the point where I'm no longer learning how to improve, but I also don't like sandbagging.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
When they get pissed off over something simple, it doesn't necessarily mean they're bad friends, but it does mean they're stupid.
Lol, yeah that scrubby friend is pretty stupid. At least my smarter friends don't ***** and moan.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
The only time I hold back is when training someone else, and the moment the little **** gets cocky, I bring my A game.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Nah just destroy noobs, never let them win, its more fun that way

Top Bottom