• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
thats mostly on gay men though, i though samus attracted the lezzies lol. although Desu tries to get away w/ the pink DDD. and idk its just peach i guess.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
Peach/Zelda definately account for a good 80% of us... but some of us choose other characters...

Daysoo

Smash Ace
thats mostly on gay men though, i though samus attracted the lezzies lol. although Desu tries to get away w/ the pink DDD. and idk its just peach i guess.
Funny.
Someone mentions me the same time I feel like posting.
And I get away with playing the pink penguin just fine. ;P
I also used to main Samus back when I played Melee. XD

Aaaanyways.
Was wondering what you guys thought about "open relationships".
Asked on SRK already, figured I'd check here, too.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Open relationships are stupid. There's no point in a relationship in the first place if you're both interested in someone else.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The term 'open relationship' is just a formal way of saying 'oh yeah, he's my **** buddy'.

Why have a 'relationship' if you're both into somebody else?

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Open relationships are stupid. There's no point in a relationship in the first place if you're both interested in someone else.
Doesn't that define the word "relationship?"

I'm going to lay this out on the table, I'm pro same-sex marriage. You guys are human beings and are being denied the right to follow your heart because politicians are scared of anything different.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I only believe in committed, monogamous relationships; so I'm closed to the idea of an open relationship. Some people are ok with them but I don't see any reason to open one up. In my opinion if you need an open relationship you might as well break up.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
I only believe in committed, monogamous relationships; so I'm closed to the idea of an open relationship. Some people are ok with them but I don't see any reason to open one up. In my opinion if you need an open relationship you might as well break up.
my name is dan, and I approve this message.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
I feel the same way.
My ex wanted to get back together with me, but he wanted an 'open relationship'.
I said no pretty much outright.
I can't wrap my brain around being happy like that.
Sex is all well and good, but without love and commitment... Meh.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
open relationsips are a bad idea. Or, at least, it's a bad idea in the sense of a relationship. It's essentially someone to have sex with until you find someone better. if both parties are okay with that and don't want anything else out of it, then I suppose that should work. that's not something I'D want or even be okay with as far as morally and such, but if it works for y'all. then have at it I suppose... but I've seen open relationships.... one party is ALWAYS a little less open then they would want to be.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I've always wondered, when gay people come out do they purposely try to develop the gay lisp? Do some of you guys always have it? I would always forget to speak with the gay lisp if I didn't have it biologically.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Agh, my worst nightmare involves me developing that lisp... I don't know how to answer that really. I think some people develop it when they come out if they spend more time around other gay men with the lisp. But what I think is more pronounced is the different speech patterns. Stereotypically gay men emphasize different parts of words or phrases than a person who speaks normally. (In this case normal is referring to the speech pattern) Sometimes they overemphasize and lengthen vowel sounds at the beginning of a thought or sentence and then raise the inflection of their voice at the end. Geez, I could search youtube and do an entire linguistic analysis of this for you but my insomnia is killing me right now. I'm suppose to be waking up in 3 hours.... I hope I kinda sorta answered your question. Oh, and things like the gay lisp/accent are always influenced and developed over a period of time. Speech patterns aren't -exactly- biological as much as they are environmental. So I don't think anyone starts with a gay lisp and always has it. They have to learn it from somewhere.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Well, some people naturally are born with lisps but the difference between the ratios of gays with lisps and straights with lisps are incredible.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
The gay lisp is actually a lisp, it's a just a compilation of speech attributes and phonetic patterns that are stereotypically developed by gay men. Natural born lisps are typically related to some minor abnormality in the anatomy of the human tongue That's a stupid explanation, dunno what I was thinking. Here's the simplified, technical break down for you (linguistics nerd... I actually have a book on this topic...): A lisp is the inability or an impairment in producing sounds associated with the english "s" and "z". The gay "lisp" actually exaggerates these silibants or augments them onto sounds associated with an english "t" or "d". Is that a bit clearer for you?

arfer

Smash Cadet
perhaps gay men subconsciously feel the need to develop this lisp in order to actually identify themselves as gay? I think it's a stereotype that is constantly reestablished for identity purposes, because other than liking guys, there's really nothing special about them. I mean, sexual preferences is just a normal thing, and they're all just normal people with the need to be special

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i never wanted the lisp either, i have enough voice issues. so im glad i don't have it. i also tend to silently laugh at it. is that a bad thing?

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
For me, it very rarely just kind of slips out... almost unnoticed. Otherwise, I've met plenty of straight guys with the lisp, so I believe it really is just speech jumbling or something.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
For me, it very rarely just kind of slips out... almost unnoticed. Otherwise, I've met plenty of straight guys with the lisp, so I believe it really is just speech jumbling or something.
I guess, but I really do wonder why a lot of gays have that speech 'impediment'.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Back on to the relationship topic, I think open relationships are stupid. That's like meeting someone at a club, taking them home, doing certain things behind closed doors with them, making it blatantly clear you have a partner, never calling them again, and expecting your partner to get back with you, which would never happen realistically.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I guess, but I really do wonder why a lot of gays have that speech 'impediment'.
Because the gay community has some tolerance issues of it's own, some conscious some unconscious. The constant denunciation of "straight-acting" gays is a very easy example (omg, some gay people actually like football, and doing physical activity, and cars? They must be pretending to be straight! Shun the unbeliever, SHUUUUUN!).

The lisp thing is a subconscious adhering to the gay community (case in point, my older brother suddenly developed a bit of a lisp right after he came out).

Not that I have any issue with gay people having a lisp or acting stereotypical. I just have a problem with people being pressured to be who they aren't.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
some people really want to have something to identify with. whther they mean to or not, addopting the trademark lisp kinda helps identify you.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Being identifiable is silly. I like to shroud my persona in mystery. It's much more interesting.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I would rather not lisp either, but I am not every man, some people long for belonging.
That's a shame. You should learn to be disgusted more often. Life is better when other people make the effort to please YOU, rather than the other way around.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Because the gay community has some tolerance issues of it's own, some conscious some unconscious. The constant denunciation of "straight-acting" gays is a very easy example (omg, some gay people actually like football, and doing physical activity, and cars? They must be pretending to be straight! Shun the unbeliever, SHUUUUUN!).

The lisp thing is a subconscious adhering to the gay community (case in point, my older brother suddenly developed a bit of a lisp right after he came out).

Not that I have any issue with gay people having a lisp or acting stereotypical. I just have a problem with people being pressured to be who they aren't.
But, I can't really see the lisp being something unconscious because even if it is a stereotype of gays, the need of becoming 'like' one doesn't occur as much as one knowing that he/she is gay.

By saying that the lisp is developed because the person feeling the need of the lisp to identify that they are gay is totally rediculous, I honestly don't think those particular people can control it.
It actually is more inclined to say that being gay is hardcoded since birth, and so is the lisp. Though, I can also see that once the mental sexuality is discovered the mind tends to act more prone towards that particular roll. But not just because of a perception of being a gay, but rather because the mind now fully comprehends a role, therefore has to fill it. Though this is a theory.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
so the lisp could be hardcoded from birth? lol thats a funny thought, but im willing to go with that.
Think about it and it doesn't sound that far-fetched. We know that the ability to speak, feel emotion, and breath is hardcoded, why not advanced speech?

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
gay being hardwired seems to be a touchy subject with some people.
i guess you can't choose your urges, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom