• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Labs: Mega Man Advance Techniques Discovery Thread

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I
There's better things you could do with the Leaf Shield, in my opinion. An example is this:

1. Hit someone with the Crash Bomb
2. After the Crash Bomb is attached to the enemy, throw a Metal Blade towards the floor
3. Pick up the Metal Blade
4. Activate Leaf Shield while you have the Metal Blade in your hands(this makes you harder to approach for passing on the Crash Bomb)
5. Wait for the Crash Bomb to explode, and throw your Metal Blade. Decide whether you want to keep your Leaf Shield for pressure or throw it as well.

What this does is that now, you have offensive pressure with your Crash Bomb, Metal Blade, and Leaf Shield.
I found one big flaw with this. If you are out of jumps and you happen to have a leaf shield up, you can't up-b. you have to wait the shield out, or try to toss the shield away before using up-b. If you use this tech near ledges you could end up gimping yourself. This is def a center-stage/low% tactic.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Mario seems able to escape the Fair, Might work on Link though at low percents (the fair) but I think he can escape the later moves. I don't think I will be able to tell until I have access to training mode and can slow the game down.
Slide - uppercut just doesn't work on Mario, he just isn't heavy enough. It does work on Link if he is at low%, I think he may the able to just air dodge out of it.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Dash attack to metal blade can work of they miss the tech.
D-throw - dash - up-smash seems legit at low % and pretty safe since up-smash is a good anti-air.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
What do you guys think of pulling out the LS when trying to land and the opponent wants to juggle you?

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
I mean, if you combine it with B-reversed MB and Rush it might be viable, but it doesn't stun the opponent enough to give a safe landing.

zeriph

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I've tried that option a few times and I get punished every time. Multi-hit moves with even decent priority eat the leaves and still go through.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I usually find that it only works if you have the ability to air dodge after initiating the leaf shield. Trying to initiate the leaves just before someone attacks you is very punishable.

If you don't have enough time and space to leaf shield and THEN air dodge, I wouldn't recommend it.

Typically I find that the best place to use it is after being launched upwards high above the stage.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I found one big flaw with this. If you are out of jumps and you happen to have a leaf shield up, you can't up-b. you have to wait the shield out, or try to toss the shield away before using up-b. If you use this tech near ledges you could end up gimping yourself. This is def a center-stage/low% tactic.
I didn't say that it was the absolute best tactic that Mega Man has, although it is still an option and there's only so much you could do with the Leaf Shield. (Other than ignore it completely, although we're trying to find a use for it so that's not really a valid option) I would just refrain from using the Leaf Shield at ledges anyways because of the aforementioned issues.

What do you guys think of pulling out the LS when trying to land and the opponent wants to juggle you?
I wouldn't try this with just the LS, I would air-dodge while having the LS equipped. The leaf hitboxes are still active even when you shield/sidestep/roll/air-dodge, which is pretty cool. In the middle of a juggle, I would try to Rush Cancel out of there, Leaf Shield takes way too much time to set-up and just use in the middle of a juggle. If you see a juggle coming, maybe you can use it.

Although, I'd assume some people can see right through this and bait you out. Some moves have priority over the leaves, which will leave you open for a punish if you air-dodge at the wrong time.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I don't know I haven't found too many uses for leaf shield, Other than throwi.g it off stage and opponents and following with double fairs.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
OP is currently getting revamped. Will include a HUGE OP regarding the discoveries found with the character. Opana's thread is being absorbed into this thread's OP (Don't worry. It has been agreed on. lol)

Reminder: TourneyLocator is streaming their 2nd Smash 4 Pre-US release Invitational Tournament. It is guaranteed to have two Mega Man players (iiGGY and SSGuy) Be sure to watch tomorrow around 8pm Central. I have been experimenting with a more defensive playstyle so expect better results on my side. I'm starting to believe that Metal Blades are as good as everyone has been making them out to be!

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
What needs to be noted is any difference in stun due to the opponent's and the user's damage. I like to think the opponent having high damage and the Rage Effect increases hitstun just enough to make Leaf Shield more troublesome, but it needs to be properly tested.

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
Something that I haven't seen mentioned is to approach with your f-tilt (bear with me, that's not all!) in such a way that when the second pellet hits you are at point blank range, then cancel the f-tilt to short hop nair, that way the sweetspot of the nair will hit and actually knock them away.
After your third shot, you can also (without any lag) short hop straight backwards and begin another barrage of shots. Mega Man's horizontal air speed is pretty great, so you wind up right where you started.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
OP has been edited. It still is not finished and I will be editing it later after Shockwave II. If you all want to help me, please find some gif's of Mega Man's move set (I used the Director's Diary as a source) and pm them to me. I will credit you for assisting me.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Thanks, glad to now be apart of this topic.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
In most cases the LS is useless legit use any other move D-air, F-air, B-air, or just depends on robots best friend to get u out of any combo.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Has anyone else noticed the invisibility frame(s) during Mega's throws? I often avoid Pikachu's Thunder by throwing him at the exact moment the lightning should hit Mega Man. :)

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Ledge hop->Rush Coil is a pretty interesting way back, it'd probably work ne or twice a sa mix up but I wouldn't push it.

Dash->Skid->Special allows you to slide off the stage as close as possible, unlike a b boost which makes you carry momentum. I feel this is important due to the nature of his specials, being projectiles. I can upload a vid if anyone's interested, I may just do it anyway lol.

EDIT: Here's a vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr89niF9eDI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
Has anyone else noticed the invisibility frame(s) during Mega's throws? I often avoid Pikachu's Thunder by throwing him at the exact moment the lightning should hit Mega Man. :)
It seems to not just be mega-man. I believe all characters get them. I've seen mario ignore pikachu's thunder as well.

BBC7

Smash Ace
This is something pretty obvious I'm about to share, but there's a way to increase the range of your grab that might or might've not been in Brawl. (Never tested in Brawl to see if it exists.)

Face the opposite direction from your opponent + Quickly dash towards your opponent + grab.

I know this is not Mega Man exclusive, but it seems like Mega Man is one of the better characters to do this with. I also know of something called pivot grabbing, although it is different from what I just said.

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
This is something pretty obvious I'm about to share, but there's a way to increase the range of your grab that might or might've not been in Brawl. (Never tested in Brawl to see if it exists.)

Face the opposite direction from your opponent + Quickly dash towards your opponent + grab.

I know this is not Mega Man exclusive, but it seems like Mega Man is one of the better characters to do this with. I also know of something called pivot grabbing, although it is different from what I just said.
Dashing does increase the range of your grabs in brawl. While it does give you a better range (and sometimes faster grab) it also has drawbacks from many characters. Dashing grabing and missing often leaves you with a higher ending lag than grabing and missing without dashing.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Idk if this has been confirmed or not, but is jump-Canceled grabbing a thing?

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
This may sound ridiculous, but I was able to double d-air Link at very low % he was low off the stage. I SH off the stage, quickly into dair. It hit Link after his midair jump and sent him down. I then midair jumped toward the stage and sent out another Hard Knuckle. I hit Link out of his up-b and I got a KO at 40%

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Idk if this has been confirmed or not, but is jump-Canceled grabbing a thing?
I've tested this with Pikachu, but it doesn't look like it's back. When using tap jump it makes you do an u-smash, when using X/Y it just does a running grab. My inputs may be a bit slow, but I haven't been able to pull it off yet.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Invincible during throws? Well, what can I say - Mega Man's got guts.

This may sound ridiculous, but I was able to double d-air Link at very low % he was low off the stage. I SH off the stage, quickly into dair. It hit Link after his midair jump and sent him down. I then midair jumped toward the stage and sent out another Hard Knuckle. I hit Link out of his up-b and I got a KO at 40%
Double Denial Spiking is is sexy as hell. Nice, man.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I dunno man I've seen that u tilt get wicked early kills, like 60%.
I've gotten kills at 85% with it, 60% is crazy. I'm guessing it was improper vectoring on the opponents part.

Pawsome!

All that and a Duck!
NNID
OxasOmi
3DS FC
3540-1430-6633
I want to say I've seen it against another player but I would definitely have to agree with the theories that it comes from poor vectoring (Although vectoring /does/ have less influence at lower percentages(Right?)). Personally I've done it against CPU's, and I'm not sure if it's from jumping. I like MM, so I'll keep an eye open while I do some more playing around.

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
It seems to not just be mega-man. I believe all characters get them. I've seen mario ignore pikachu's thunder as well.
I think this has been in since Melee. I didn't play too much Brawl but most throws in Melee were invincible for the first few frames.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I've gotten kills at 85% with it, 60% is crazy. I'm guessing it was improper vectoring on the opponents part.
The only instance I saw it killing at 60% was when Mega Man was over 150% on Sheik, so it was heavily rage-influenced and on a lightweight. I can't say whether it was vectored correctly or not, but 60% kills aren't happening without rage mechanic assistance.

BBC7

Smash Ace
1. Short Hop + 2. Nair + 3. Fastfall + 4. Jab x2

I already mentioned this before, although I found an extra use for it due to Jump Cancel.

1. Short Hop + 2. Nair + 3. Fastfall + 4. Jab x2 + 5. Jump Cancel with Short Hop + 6. Repeat 2nd, 3rd and 4th step

It helps you shoot grounded pellets at a faster rate, kind of like the Fox/Falco Short Hop Laser technique.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
The only instance I saw it killing at 60% was when Mega Man was over 150% on Sheik, so it was heavily rage-influenced and on a lightweight. I can't say whether it was vectored correctly or not, but 60% kills aren't happening without rage mechanic assistance.
I always forget about that rage mechanic... So, I have a question for the thread(its more of a general question, not specifically about MM) Does rage only depend on the amount of damage you have during your current stock or does it carry over depending on how poorly you are doing(kinda like getting a free smash ball when you are down a few stocls)?

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
I think this has been in since Melee. I didn't play too much Brawl but most throws in Melee were invincible for the first few frames.
You are correct. I didn't notice in past games (probably due to playing mostly 1v1 battles).

Rage gives it that much of a boost? If so, I could see another reason for an increased amount of off-stage fighting/gimping at tournaments. Getting the KOs before their percents get to high and make use of rage...

I always forget about that rage mechanic... So, I have a question for the thread(its more of a general question, not specifically about MM) Does rage only depend on the amount of damage you have during your current stock or does it carry over depending on how poorly you are doing(kinda like getting a free smash ball when you are down a few stocls)?
Everything I've seen indicates that it is Percent based only, stocks don't appear to make a difference.

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
1. Short Hop + 2. Nair + 3. Fastfall + 4. Jab x2

I already mentioned this before, although I found an extra use for it due to Jump Cancel.

1. Short Hop + 2. Nair + 3. Fastfall + 4. Jab x2 + 5. Jump Cancel with Short Hop + 6. Repeat 2nd, 3rd and 4th step

It helps you shoot grounded pellets at a faster rate, kind of like the Fox/Falco Short Hop Laser technique.
How does that work? I'm sure you have the same amount of lag after shooting even if you jump.

BBC7

Smash Ace
How does that work? I'm sure you have the same amount of lag after shooting even if you jump.
Not if you use the time spent jumping in order to shoot a Nair and repeat the cycle, if that's what you mean. Really, you could do anything once you Jump Cancel, making it a better option than shooting your lemons and standing still like a mannequin for a few frames.

Pawsome!

All that and a Duck!
NNID
OxasOmi
3DS FC
3540-1430-6633
By immediately forcing the opponent off the edge and following up with a power coil I've had his spike work at really low percentages especially on characters with poor recovery (I think MM has pretty great hops!)

Last edited:

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
Probably common knowledge, but a fun thing to do with the saw is catch it mid-fall giving you the use of aerials and the buster. I'm going to go ahead and say nair knockback is probably megamans saving grace.

ソチャラ「Sóchara 」

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AllahuAkbar
3DS FC
0061-0828-3959
(Yay! My first post ever! I've read up through page four on this thread so I apologize if this has come up since.)

I think if someone can answer this question, it would be really helpful for all Megamen. In iiGGY's match against AeroLink's sheik, what is the input he executes in the followup after 12:07? He dashes at the edge, sort of pivot short-hops while keeping his momentum, and does a bair for edge guard. Making maximum use of bair where I can only execute a fair. (for now)

(I cant link the vid because I'm new. It's on youtube as:
Shockwave Smash 3DS - Iggy (Rosalina/Megaman) vs AeroLink (Sheik) - Losers Bracket

Its the follow up to 12:07 in.)

The crazy part is it may take some replays to see.

How's that done?

Doval

Smash Lord
Not if you use the time spent jumping in order to shoot a Nair and repeat the cycle, if that's what you mean. Really, you could do anything once you Jump Cancel, making it a better option than shooting your lemons and standing still like a mannequin for a few frames.
Jumping doesn't cancel the lag after your third shot. Your n-air won't come out any faster than simply shooting again on the ground. Sure, you could jump towards the opponent during the lag, but you could also run towards them. Either way it's unsafe to try to hit the enemy repeatedly this way because they recover before your lag ends, unless your third hit is a sweetspotted n-air. And in that case they'll tech, so you have much better options to punish than lemons.

He dashes at the edge, sort of pivot short-hops while keeping his momentum, and does a bair for edge guard.

How's that done?
Dash until the game lets you turn around -> move the stick back -> immediately press jump -> and immediately move the stick forward again.

Moving the stick back turns your character around, and you want to be holding the stick forward by the time your character leaves the ground so you get a forward jump instead of a neutral/backwards jump.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
How's that done?
It's a Reverse Aerial Rush.

Simply dash in one direction, jam the control stick in the opposite direction and then immediately jump, and then jam the control stick back in the original direction and attack. If done correctly you will maintain your forward momentum while facing backwards and using a bair.

Top Bottom