• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Zelkam Zelkam great work :)

Think about all the changes and traits Link has this time around:
-Air attacks have reduced landing lag
-Tilts can kill
A few things about these. Except Dair, Link's landing game is actually nerfed by the SSB4 system. As with all characters. In Brawl Link had no additional lag on Zair/Nair/Bair/Fair. Landing lag seems a bit more in general and air dodge lag is worse so Link's landing to ground attack chains aren't as good.
UTilt/Ftilt could kill in Brawl. Utilt was a great kill move because its speed.

IMO Dair's spike is at best a mixed blessing. Frame one Dair killed absurdly early.
Bombs with a shorted fuse is a mixed blessing too.
Just saying.

I think the biggest buffs to Link relate to his increased mobility. In Brawl, Toon Link was a high tier from his mobility even though his moves had the same or more lag than Link's. Brawl Link to SSB4 Link running and jumping around feels like switching from driving a delivery truck to a sports car.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Hello. So yeah I'm new in these boards. Before the 3DS version I haven't play Smash since Melee where I used to main Link and Yink. Anyway I'm trying to become a better Link, been reading a lot around these boards but I got a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of information.

Thanks to the 3ds I manage to shake the rust off my Smash skills. My Link is pretty decent, but when I got the wii u version I felt like starting again. Maybe because I'm playing with the game pad atm. (still trying to get one of those GC controller adapters)

Actually I've been watching @ Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken 's youtube and learned a few tricks from there. So yeah I think this is a nice place get some tips and answers from.

TL;DR
Hi I'm new here. Wanna get better with Link. Where do I start?
Hello, and

Boy, do I love new faces. Shows how much this community is growing.
This thread has almost everything you need to know. Be sure to check there and get connected with the Link Network!
Once you get enough posts through, you can post your matches in the Video and Critique thread and have us critique your matches and tell you how you can do better.
Want an in-depth tutorial on Link? Check out this awesome video here.
Get familiar with the Link boards and enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
Hello. So yeah I'm new in these boards. Before the 3DS version I haven't play Smash since Melee where I used to main Link and Yink. Anyway I'm trying to become a better Link, been reading a lot around these boards but I got a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of information.

Thanks to the 3ds I manage to shake the rust off my Smash skills. My Link is pretty decent, but when I got the wii u version I felt like starting again. Maybe because I'm playing with the game pad atm. (still trying to get one of those GC controller adapters)

Actually I've been watching @ Ryu_Ken Ryu_Ken 's youtube and learned a few tricks from there. So yeah I think this is a nice place get some tips and answers from.

TL;DR
Welcome, I highly recommend getting your name in the Link Wifi Network in CostLow's thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/find...ks-q-as-guides-and-more.374832/#post-17857754

You don't know a man until you've drank and fought with him.

My first piece of advice for learning Link is to use the people around you as a reservoir of knowledge, check our match up threads, get to know the people who main Link, and above all have thick skin. We are an abrasive bunch, more so than any other board. We do not take kindly to spam, laziness, or misinformed hubris. The stickies exist for a reason.

We're not all bad, just mostly. So long as you're not Chronic Bleeding Hemorrhoids™ you should enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

TL;DR
Welcome, make yourself at home but respect the house rules. If you behave, we'll behave...mostly. We're a helpful bunch, but we don't play nice. Not much anyways...not always.

Anyways, biggest thing to keep in mind is,

1) Don't create useless threads.
2) Don't derail threads.
3) Don't double post.
4) Respect your elders.
5) Always wash your hands before eating.
6) Don't lie to us, we'll know.
7) Unplug any electronics you're not actively using.
8) Recycle.
9) Trolling is not only permitted but encouraged.
10) Lulz.

Thank you guys for posting all this good ****. I'll lurk forever B)
BLU! Stop Lurking!

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
Godamnit, Blu, you're the new generation of crotchety old player. I remember when you were but a lad, naive and totally unaware that people who claimed to be your friends would try to make you watch two girls **** in a cup and then eat it. And then puke it up. And then eat it.

How can you be so silent?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
2,222nd post, eh? Might as well. :p
Austrailia/Europe getting SmashWiiU in about an hour!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
They should just remove the report button entirely from this section of SWF until the game's been out for at least six months.
Why is that? I mean, even if they did they would still bring down the admins on us. A

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Um, guys, I not sure if you know this, but Link's meteor hitbox actually isn't just on the tip of the sword. Just thought you should all know. Ok, bye.

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
Why is that? I mean, even if they did they would still bring down the admins on us. A
Because if it didn't exist we wouldn't feel like we have to defend ourselves every time there's an activity boom. Ever since The Exodus™ we've always been more wordy and less willing to compromise when we feel watched or threatened. Without worrying about another Exodus there would be no chance for this to escalate further. We could burn a useless thread, lock it, and never speak of it again.

Um, guys, I not sure if you know this, but Link's meteor hitbox actually isn't just on the tip of the sword. Just thought you should all know. Ok, bye.
It does seem to be along most of the length of the sword's blade, but I'm not too sure and until I get a GC controller adapter I have the tech skill of a drunken, limbless buffalo, so I refuse to try and test it.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Thought this was already common knowledge. Whoever told you the spike was in a specific area of the sword lied to you.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
It does seem to be along most of the length of the sword's blade, but I'm not too sure and until I get a GC controller adapter I have the tech skill of a drunken, limbless buffalo, so I refuse to try and test it.
I could have sworn that I've gotten a Young Link like Meteor Smash against the CPU (ie, with the head) though that could just be my eyes playing trick on me. Still, that's pretty unfair, all things considered.

DonSclario

Smash Rookie
NNID
DonSclario
3DS FC
1907-9441-5859
I guess I'll head over to a game store and buy this dammned game.
If you find any GC controller adapter get me one, please. I don't get why you can't use the 3DS to play Online in the Wii U.

FSK

Smash Ace
If you find any GC controller adapter get me one, please. I don't get why you can't use the 3DS to play Online in the Wii U.

They were either sold out or reserved. First time I've experienced this :D Guess I'll just have to get the game later on.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Welcome :)
http://smashboards.com/threads/guid...t-link-in-smash-4.368190/page-4#post-18070535
:smirk:
Yeah those darn adapters are in demand and of short supply :(. Some jerks always jump on opportunities to buy a $20 new thing and sell it on E-Bay or Amazon for $80-100 and that way the people who actually want to use it can't. I'm not paying jacked up prices; I'll wait for the next wave in stores. Unfortunately I can't really play SSB4 until I get one :glare:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Why are people doing double posts? Don't double post, just use the nifty edit button.

Because if it didn't exist we wouldn't feel like we have to defend ourselves every time there's an activity boom. Ever since The Exodus™ we've always been more wordy and less willing to compromise when we feel watched or threatened. Without worrying about another Exodus there would be no chance for this to escalate further. We could burn a useless thread, lock it, and never speak of it again.
I get that, but they would still call the admins via PM or whatever. Anyways it's not important, the damn thing is there and we have to deal with that and with bubble children produced by the "everyone is a winner" generation of losers.

Um, Sakuria?
And you believed him? You poor naive sod.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Meh, found an online shop that still had them so ordered it from there instead.
Really, where? Can you link it? Everywhere around me is sold out.
Is SSB4 for the Wii U out in Europe now? I'll change the thread title.

FSK

Smash Ace
Really, where? Can you link it? Everywhere around me is sold out.
Is SSB4 for the Wii U out in Europe now? I'll change the thread title.

Yeah it launched in Europe today. It was a Norwegian shop and it was pretty overpriced so probably not that interesting.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Yeah it launched in Europe today. It was a Norwegian shop and it was pretty overpriced so probably not that interesting.
FSK, now that you have it, let's play this afternoon...or evening for you, w/e. Also, are you seriously maining diddy now you backstabbing tierwhench? What happened to DHD? What happened to LINK?

Last edited:

FSK

Smash Ace
FSK, now that you have it, let's play this afternoon...or evening for you, w/e. Also, are you seriously maining diddy now you backstabbing tierwhench? What happened to DHD? What happened to LINK?
I dont have it yet though, still has to arrive in the mail. Well recently I've been playing diddy yeah :(

DHD got frustrating because he has no kill moves so you end having your opponent at like 170%-200% and then they will kill you at like 80%-90% because of rage. Especially Lucario is not fun to play with DHD. Its basically every matchup is Snake and you are Jiggz, gl ;( I'll keep him in my backpocket though in case they give him a kill move or two.

When it comes to Link a while ago I started noticing that how similar he was to brawl. But it was fine to me because down-b cancelling was new and cool. Then they removed it and I just kinda lost motivation to main main Link. I'm still gonna play him but I won't focus as hard on him as I did in Brawl :(

When it comes to contributions, they will be Link exclusive. I have no desire to contribute to the other boards I'll just lurk those :D

I still haven't 100% decided on a main yet, it might end up as Link after all.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
The Lucina/Marth and MegaMan boards make me jealous. If @ CostLow CostLow can make an awesome/super confident thread and if @ Zelkam Zelkam can make an awesome picture of myself, then we can definitely make the Link boards a little more appealing. Title images and funny/epic pictures in the OP give it a bit more flavor and interest. We have the WiiU game, so there's lots of room for creativity.
Well, all of the Bowser thread stickies have a banner just like this, with the title changed to match the thread. I know we have some artistic dudes in here that could do something similar if you want that sort of thing. (http://i.imgur.com/kH4kGHv.png)

Same as Bowser, just Dark Pit this time.
(http://i.imgur.com/jhNrccT.png)

I also saw what you were referring to in those threads. They have skeletons of organized activity but there is either little adherence to that organization or lack of moderation of the OTs. The thing that we have going for us is a massive amount of activity from the creators of these major threads.

So, I think we just need to spruce up some of the OTs and figure out what threads we want to have as stickies such as the video thread, blubba's guide, the social thread, etc. Once we know which threads to make sticky, then we can spruce up those threads as needed.

Edit: In fact, I think I might start a thread to try and get this all figured out.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
My copy of the game has arrived! Hail to Europe! I'll be in my bunk; see you guys on Monday.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Then they removed it and I just kinda lost motivation to main main Link. I'm still gonna play him but I won't focus as hard on him as I did in Brawl
I hereby remove my nomination of FSK as a forum mod due to an obvious case of dementia. His nomination shall be restored only after he provides sufficient evidence of having regained his wits by once again having the Link icon for Wii U and 3DS instead of whatever blasphemous degenerate icon he happens to feel attracted to.

So, I think we just need to spruce up some of the OTs and figure out what threads we want to have as stickies such as the video thread, blubba's guide, the social thread, etc. Once we know which threads to make sticky, then we can spruce up those threads as needed.
I actually have some interesting ideas about which threads we need to sticky, which sticky threads need to be created and how they should be modified to organize the boards better. For the time being, I think that the social thread must be stickied along with the patch notes thread. This way instead of creating a new thread with every patch release I'll just edit that once and also keep a data log of past patches.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not a Link main but just dropping in to say "Hi". A huge LoZ fan though. Been a fan since the first game. Anyways, the community looks pretty cool so I'll be dropping in on occasion to see how things are. Maybe in time, you guys will be able to convert me! Feel free to message me!

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Hello and welcome; feel free to drop in whenever you want. Don't worry about the conversion; it will happen in due time. In due time.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Oh well. I'm not willing to pay the higher prices. I don't have a ton of extra money to throw around. Thanks anyway.
Not a Link main but just dropping in to say "Hi". A huge LoZ fan though. Been a fan since the first game. Anyways, the community looks pretty cool so I'll be dropping in on occasion to see how things are. Maybe in time, you guys will be able to convert me! Feel free to message me!
Hi and welcome. Link plays differently than most characters. He has a passive, spacing oriented style where you have to make openings through frame traps. He can be fun to play but has a high learning curve.
In Brawl I played MK, Ganon, Zelda, G&W, Bowser, Wolf, PT but always mained Link and used him exclusively at tourneys. Link is by far the hardest of those characters to use effectively.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You know, the first step to becoming a true Link main is to be a LoZ fan. In fact, that's the only reason really. I think I can safely say that we're all here not because of the Smash char, but because of the Legend that is Link.

And I agree with Rizen. Link is a complex character in that you can't just zone in or be very aggro, you have to maintain total control of the stage at all time to be truly effective. He is more complex than people give him credit for and had/has many options that people (even some Link mains much to my sadness) are unaware of.

Drunken_Master

Smash Apprentice
They were either sold out or reserved. First time I've experienced this :D Guess I'll just have to get the game later on.
I just woke up.

Diddy Kong... Diddy... Kong. What the actual **** am I seeing.

When did Diddy's titties win over our viking? Couldn't have just been someone else. It had to be that filthy, banana chucking, cartwheeling, sphincter spelunking clown of a monkey.

Oh well, at least it's not Marth, but it's still Toon Link. You best continue to do work, elsewise we'll have to make Elessar's gulag a reality.
Don't bother wiping your shoes, remember not to say please, or thank you, and have a good time. I know you're in Japan (it says so right there) but if you do want to learn Link, maybe try having some matches with some people here if you get the free time. Some of us are/were in Europe (A curse on your house, FSK) so you may get less lag/have an easier time getting matches with those people. Wifi's not perfect but it's a decent practice tool and most of us are adept enough to give pointers and/or demonstrate things. Also, it's fun.

I'm going to be honest, I feel like Link's lost some of his complexity in the transition from Brawl in exchange for over all better knock back and recovery. He hasn't changed too much, I do miss arrow cancels and bomb drop shenanigans. He feels simpler now. Stronger, but more direct.

In Brawl you needed to be able to pull any one of twenty ATs out of your pocket at the right moment in a match. Maybe Link'll get there again, but the engine seems to be the same, so I doubt it.

Stay out of my shed. Also my photobucket.
IN OTHER NEWS

Pour one out for Catana, guys. He's doing work in internet Valhalla this week. I'll need a list of people who might've done this.

Also, Slutsook is back. Doubt he'll have the time he used to, but he finally unlocked most of the game content and is no longer in fear of spoilers.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You best continue to do work, elsewise we'll have to make Elessar's gulag a reality.
One day, that glorious red dawn shall become a reality tovarish Shin. fear not, the glory of the Motherland shall be restored.

Stay out of my shed. Also my photobucket.
Why, what's wrong with your photobucket? Can we get a Link to it please? I know that we all really want to see the nice and friendly pictures you got there.

Pour one out for Catana, guys. He's doing work in internet Valhalla this week. I'll need a list of people who might've done this.

To our fallen comrade. Ten shall fall for every one of us!

Also, ****sook is back. Doubt he'll have the time he used to, but he finally unlocked most of the game content and is no longer in fear of spoilers.
I just need to get him to stop ODing with the game and back in here now. We need more men like him in these parts of the Lost Woods.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^A storm trooper who can jump?! What a terrifying thought. /jk
I don't have much faith in new Star Wars movies tbh.

Top Bottom