• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Yeah, we know. The new DA is has huge startup lag, a brief and very small hitbox, and huge ending lag. Use it very sparingly. Don't try chasing rolls with it, let alone approaching with it. A landing punisher at best.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Thank you all of the Links who came to wish me well. And thank you @ Naroghin Naroghin for the extremely nice thought. Ganondorf appreciates you all, you may join with him and have a share of the power!
I am still recovering, but I should be able to play Smash by Monday to begin my ascent to the gods. All of my technical skill, my spacing, my muscle memory has been reset, while my knowledge of characters and matchups has remained. So I have to restart everything about Smash, but that means I can make my Ganondorf even more powerful
As a matter of fact, since I'm almost completely reset from Smash(muscle memory wise) I am looking for new secondaries. I always used to main Link in to the past,, so I am considering not maiming Link and maybe Zelda in smash 4 and adding them as secondaries,

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
so I am considering not maiming Link and maybe Zelda in smash 4 and adding them as secondaries,
Zelda takes a lot of patience to use, and has a tough life, but if you ever find yourself in need, we will teach you the way of the Farore's Wind sparkles. Use all three. Triforce chars ftw

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Zelda takes a lot of patience to use, and has a tough life, but if you ever find yourself in need, we will teach you the way of the Farore's Wind sparkles. Use all three. Triforce chars ftw
Ganondorf takes an extraordinary amount of patience as well, so I definitely know what that is like. I think I would take your suggestion, as wielding all 3 would allow me access to the full triforce and would be beneficial to have almost full matchup coverage.
Once I get back to playing Smash, I will start training with all 3. Though my preference will always be my Dark Lord.

Darklink46

Smash Apprentice
Welcome :)

Yeah dash attack (DA) only hits on the down swing at the end. It starts frame 21 and lasts to frame 25. It's not fast but good at chasing down and punishing lag. Like if the opponent rolls away, misses a smash or is free-falling, Link can run in and DA. It doesn't hit above Link, only in front but Link moves forward a good distance during the start up lag.
Thanks for your replies guys, now I know Im not imagining things or thinking my game is bugged. I think I definitely prefer Link's old DA, as was one of the fastest attacks he had, launch power was amazing, found it good for making combos. Did anyone notice that they only changed this attack after at least several trailers had been released? Im certain in one of them (maybe the first one...) it has Link using his melee/brawl DA. I used to be pretty good with Link until this new DA showed up :(.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
With what little I've been able to play the game so far, I too have had trouble spacing and timing the new dash attack. It gave me the winning kill in a local tourney, and I had some other good kills with this that day, but I think I whiffed about 50% of the time because I was expecting it to come out sooner and shorter. We just have to learn to put it to new applications. it has excellent potential (especially where punishment/reading is involved) but we have to change gears from our earlier play styles, which I personally welcome.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Cool, maybe we can wifi soon.

Link's old DA wasn't great so it's an apples/oranges thing with the new one. Since DACUS are gone having a dash attack (DA) that KOs is more valuable. You have to start Link's new DA at about 'tip of Fsmash' spacing.

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
some how i could see link from zelda U in smash bros 5 with his HD go:smash:odness and those items :3 sorry i'm too hype :4link: oh!! and greetings fellow sages

Last edited:

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Am I the only one here that actually likes our new dash attack?

Also, I'd like to clear up a common misconception I've been seeing around the boards. Many people seem to be over exaggerating the difference between Brawl's and Smash 4's bomb timers. In Brawl bombs lasted for 5 seconds, In Smash 4 they last for 3.66 seconds.

The new dash attack is worse because the old one could be used to punish laggy moves if you didn't want to stale Usmash, and couldn't reach with anything else. If the hitbox followed the arc of the sword it might be nicer, because it could hit someone in the air, but every time I see the sword pass through someone without hurting them I rage just a little bit.

Ganondorf takes an extraordinary amount of patience as well, so I definitely know what that is like. I think I would take your suggestion, as wielding all 3 would allow me access to the full triforce and would be beneficial to have almost full matchup coverage.
Once I get back to playing Smash, I will start training with all 3. Though my preference will always be my Dark Lord.
Welcome to the Link Boards. Link and Ganon mains have been tight since before Triforce Tier was a thing. Link actually seems fairly good now, (not top 20, but not bottom 5, certainly) so if you pick him up, you're welcome to be one of us.

Just be aware that we are assholes, even to each other, it's not personal if we call you out, we're just bad people. This is something a lot of people just don't understand about us. We're like best friends who greet each other with "hey, ********"

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
What are you doing mocha with giving Ganondorf the entire triforce? That's like a no no.

Thank you all of the Links who came to wish me well. And thank you @ Naroghin Naroghin for the extremely nice thought. Ganondorf appreciates you all, you may join with him and have a share of the power!
I am still recovering, but I should be able to play Smash by Monday to begin my ascent to the gods. All of my technical skill, my spacing, my muscle memory has been reset, while my knowledge of characters and matchups has remained. So I have to restart everything about Smash, but that means I can make my Ganondorf even more powerful
As a matter of fact, since I'm almost completely reset from Smash(muscle memory wise) I am looking for new secondaries. I always used to main Link in to the past,, so I am considering not maiming Link and maybe Zelda in smash 4 and adding them as secondaries,
You shall always be welcome here and have a spot on our boards. Every triforce tier main that stuck to our chars during brawl has a place of honor in our halls. Should you play Link this shall be your home as well and we shall give you all the help we can. I can't wait to see you play again.

Am I the only one here that actually likes our new dash attack?

Also, I'd like to clear up a common misconception I've been seeing around the boards. Many people seem to be over exaggerating the difference between Brawl's and Smash 4's bomb timers. In Brawl bombs lasted for 5 seconds, In Smash 4 they last for 3.66 seconds.
No, I love the new DA as well. I think it's brilliant, just somewhat situational.

Hi Guys!

Im completely new here and I apologise if its seems like Im making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I feel like there is a severe problem with Link's new dash attack. When I first saw the attack at Hyperjapan in London, I was already worried about the slowness of the attack but I have gotten over that. My problem is the hitbox created when Link swings his sword does not seem to correspond to the swing very accurately at all or at least the swing doesn't hit things throughout the arc. I took a screenshot on Miiverse which I collected in training mode which I can't link to you until Ive created 10 posts :p.

The attack doesn't seem to impact at all for about the first half of the swing, (i.e. as it passes over Link's head). I feel that it is quite a severe problem, especially considering other characters have similar swings for different attacks but they hit all the way through the arc.

Again, apologies if anyone else has seen this problem before or if Im missing something obvious, but it just seems to be such a glaring problem to me that I can't believe nothing has been done about it!

I look forward to your replies! :p
Welcome. Don't feel bad about posting in social. This is the only thread where you can post anything and be mostly in the clear. If you want to stay, do read the stickies, specially the first one that contains the rules. It'll save you a lot of unnecessary pain.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Thank you @ Elessar Elessar and @ ShinTwist ScreamPaste ShinTwist ScreamPaste
I feel very welcomed. I have actually mained some incarnation of Link every smash game until Smash 4. Then I got ahold of the Triforce of Power. Since everything was reset, I look forward to relearning Link without the muscle memory and spacing of Brawl Link. I look forward to being here with all of you before I destroy you :)

I give Izaw one in five odds of showing up in this thread, and 50:50 if he does of being amicable. If he remembers how we do things, he may not be beyond rejoining our ranks. I even think it would be nice. After all, Uncle Shin misses all of his nieces and nephews who wander away.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Once I break this sages seal and regain my power, I will have the full triforce at my command. Only this time, there will be no dark world to protect you.
We didn't need any dark world the first time we beat you and we won't need one now. In case you forgot, we have the triforce of courage; you won't be intimidating us with vain words.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Join us... we welcome you with open arms brave soul. Glad you made it out okay man.

We may be enemies but we are bonded by the triforce, remember that.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
We didn't need any dark world the first time we beat you and we won't need one now. In case you forgot, we have the triforce of courage; you won't be intimidating us with vain words.
It is not intimidation if it's the truth fairy boy. With Ravio, and Hilda, all giving their triforce to me.Your Hylian Triforce of courage is absolutely no match for my completed triforce that spans two worlds! I have half a mind to double my triforce of power as well.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Yeah, sorry guys, Dark Link. A mindless engine of destruction mirrored after the light world's only and final hope. Unadulterated darkness. A void that only total and pure annihilation can sate.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
You mean Cia's *****es. Oh please.

Besides even Hyrule Warriors Dark Link always dies. And dark Link is usually just a minion for my great and terrible Lord
Yet he has shown time and time again that he can turn on you whenever he wishes and cares not for any fool that brings him into the land of Hyrule. He is just as, if not more capable than that "legendary hero" with what such powers of darkness enable. "King of Darkness" , you say? An undeserved title indeed. The very fact that the green clad boy is able to defeat him even in his mightiest and most powerful forms, states that the Triforce of Power would best be in the hands of one who actually knows how to use it. Hand it over, and behold what a true demon is capable of. The Triforce of Wisdom and Courage would soon follow. Even the little goddesses will be at the mercy of his blade, assuming that he would show any. "Why then wouldn't Dark Link have done such things already?" You might ask. Perhaps he simply doesn't care enough to do them and would rather find satisfaction doing something else. One can only guess.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
If only Link had the Magic Armor from Twilight Princess.

He is just as, if not more capable than that "legendary hero" with what such powers of darkness enable.
Yet that same "legendary hero" has defeated the same darkness that envies him to the point that it manifests himself to be an... almost exact clone. However, as that hero has proven time and time again, there is no clone nor match that can overcome his power and courage.

The Dark Clone may be able to overcome the King who had created him, but he will certainly always fall short against the hero born to defeat them both.

Red Link ftw

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Really? I would like to see that happen :smirk:. Wait, what about sister Link mains?
Well I could make some argument about the 'brothers' referring to those who play 'smash brothers', but that would be tiresome, so yeah, of course the sisters as well.
Don't worry. When it comes down to it, they've got your back.

Incidentally, have you read the post my twin brother made when he hacked my account the other day? You might find it helpful.
http://smashboards.com/threads/hey-listen-read-this-before-posting.380431/#post-18084091

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I like the new DA; the KO power is very useful. You have to start early and far away but it's a good punisher. Someone overshoots the ledge, wiffs a smash, airdodges to land: dash and start DA so the very tip connects. For faster needs like ledge guarding we have Ftilt. There's also bomb throw>DA from a distance.
If DAC (aka DACUS) was in SSB4 then I would have prefered the old DA. A DAC would be better but it's not an option.

Dark Link can always be cheesed to death. Zelda 2: stand to the left and spam jab. OoT: Din's or Big Goron Sword. 4 Swords and Hyrule Warriors: just aggressively attack them and punish very obvious lag.

Darklink46

Smash Apprentice
What are you doing mocha with giving Ganondorf the entire triforce? That's like a no no.

You shall always be welcome here and have a spot on our boards. Every triforce tier main that stuck to our chars during brawl has a place of honor in our halls. Should you play Link this shall be your home as well and we shall give you all the help we can. I can't wait to see you play again.

No, I love the new DA as well. I think it's brilliant, just somewhat situational.

Welcome. Don't feel bad about posting in social. This is the only thread where you can post anything and be mostly in the clear. If you want to stay, do read the stickies, specially the first one that contains the rules. It'll save you a lot of unnecessary pain.
Thanks, btw is it worth quizzing Nintendo on the DA hitbox thing? or will they just ignore me?

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
@ The Merc The Merc listen to Foxy, he speaks the truth. The link boards is one of the most tight knit communities out there and it's one that I've come to call home.

Top Bottom