• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link: Guide and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olikus

Smash Champion
This guide is great. We need one like this for all the characters defiantly. Maybe add how link do it one every stage also. But its not the most important thing.

dandan

Smash Lord
you should correct that only ff dairs give enough shield stun for a grab.

dandan

Smash Lord
no idea, the fair and uair work fine, but if you dair it does not create enough shield stun, but ff dair does.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if you mean in a purely mechanical sense, then having the first possible hitbox of d-air come out at the last possible frame wouldn't make much difference and would probably be even quicker, given that fastfalled aerials have doubled z-cancel frame lengths.

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
A few more things I'd like to mention:

-If you weak throw a bomb to where it bounces off the edge it can act as a great edgeguard. It cancels out some annoying moves (like samus and mario's up b) from a safe distance and most of the time leads into them spiking off the side of the wall. Plus once you're in position you can throw lots of them :)

-Throwing a bomb up into an opponent that's standing on a ledge can often lead into the bomb 'traveling' through them as they shield, then bouncing on top of them after it passes through. This forces them to stay shielded or get hit by the bomb. Either way it puts them in a bad position and allows for lots of fun link attacks. I find this most reliable to do against samus and dk players (on hyrule) who like to charge up during their invincible frames.

-Two bombs strong throwed up, one immediately after the other, will bounce off of each other and turn into floating hit boxes and don't explode when they hit the ground. Just adds to the flying crap your opponent has to avoid :p but really I find it very useful.

-LINK HAS AN (almost) GUARANTEED SHEILD BREAK! :) z cancel a fair into a shielded opponent -> ftilt -> upb. Really this works wonders even if it isn't completely guaranteed. Unless their shield is completely charged it will break it (greeeaat fun against jiggly :D). Even if it doesn't break usually their shield will be small enough after the first two hits that the upb will hit them, KOing hurt opponents near the edge.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
-LINK HAS AN (almost) GUARANTEED SHEILD BREAK! :) z cancel a fair into a shielded opponent -> ftilt -> upb. Really this works wonders even if it isn't completely guaranteed. Unless their shield is completely charged it will break it (greeeaat fun against jiggly :D). Even if it doesn't break usually their shield will be small enough after the first two hits that the upb will hit them, KOing hurt opponents near the edge.
The rule of thumb I use for this:

1. I catch him with the fair fairly close or fairly far away
-Proceed to shield break

2. I catch him with the fair with a equal distance between us and the range of the fair
-Grab

This is becuase links' upb will break it most of the time if hit on the very inside or the very outside. In the middle, the upb will either hit the opponent or just weaken the shield to a very small state and not break it.

3. I catch with a fair near a ledge
-Grab

obviously because the ftilt will push him off and allow him to edge cancel

4. I catch with a fair against a wall
-Shield break (if done correctly this will work 100% of the time against a wall)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I actually knew about that but didn't put it in the guide <_<

I find it hard to believe that that's the only shield break ending in up-B though

and this means F-Tilt is faster than F-Smash overall, yes?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I actually knew about that but didn't put it in the guide <_<

I find it hard to believe that that's the only shield break ending in up-B though

and this means F-Tilt is faster than F-Smash overall, yes?
yes ftilt is faster than fsmash.

less lag afterwards as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom