• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Steals the Metagame

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
We need to advance Link's metagame and I think a great place to start is by checking out other character boards and finding out if any of them are discussing interesting things that apply to Link.

When you post information don't just post a link and ask people to take a look. I will be copying and pasting whatever you post (or I'll quote you), so do a quick writeup of the technique or strategy being discussed and how it applies to Link and make sure to give the credit to the original poster.

Let the scavenging begin.....

Characters (in no particular order)
:metaknight: Meta Knight
:snake: Snake
:falco: Falco
:diddy: Diddy Kong
:dedede: King Dedede
:marth: Marth
:kirby2: Kirby
:rob: ROB
:wario: Wario
:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus
:lucario: Lucario
:gw: Mr. Game & Watch
:dk2: Donkey Kong
:popo: Ice Climbers
:sonic: Sonic
:toonlink: Toon Link
:olimar: Olimar
:wolf: Wolf
:zelda: Zelda
:shiek: Shiek
:pikachu2: Pikachu
:luigi2: Luigi
:peach: Peach
:fox: Fox
:pit: Pit
:pt: Pokémon Trainer
:ike: Ike
:ness2: Ness
:falcon: Captain Falcon
:mario2: Mario
:yoshi2: Yoshi
:bowser2: Bowser
:ganondorf: Ganondorf
:samus2: Samus
:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff
:lucas: Lucas

smasher?o.0

Smash Journeyman
umm isn't this what a link strategy guide is for?
and also is this a ad-disadvantage thing or not?

Matt07

Smash Master
Umm things to counter against Mario;

FLUDD; description
FIHL (FLUDD Induced Hit-lag); description
Cape; description

Uuh something like that? I'll help you guys out with Mario since I lurk these boards, lol. I'll edit this post with my information, if that's what this threads purpose is for.

Kief

Smash Ace
Well i'm not sure exactly the kind of stuff you want, but i got this from the matchup thread in the Ike boards, in the section about Link (made by YagamiLight).

Pertaining to our zair: "...A good idea would be to predict it and roll under Link. You could, as a side note, try to mindgame him into using the Zair by using Step Draw and then swiftly punishing, but that’s pretty risky, as you have to predict the Zair...."

They named Battlefield, Green Greens, Frigate Orpheon, Rainbow Cruise (what?! lol), and Pirate Ship as stage counter picks against us.

The other stuff in there was like "he has a bad recovery" or "get close and dont let him projectile spam us" or other obvious stuff.

sasook

Smash Champion
You can cause Snake to sticky c4 himself, read our boards about it...

Not very big, but it's worth knowing when he's trying to sticky the edge of a platform =p
O_o

Please do tell.

But seriously, someone tell me why this thread was created and not just put into the Metagame Discussion. Like, it even has Metagame in its title.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Umm, what happened to the Official Metagame discussion thread?
Nobody actually discusses there and the OP never changes or gets people involved.

The best part about this is that most boards just say "LOL LINK".
Post reported.

Umm things to counter against Mario;

FLUDD; description
FIHL (FLUDD Induced Hit-lag); description
Cape; description

Uuh something like that? I'll help you guys out with Mario since I lurk these boards, lol. I'll edit this post with my information, if that's what this threads purpose is for.
No, not really this kind of info, I'm looking for things that other character boards are discussing that might actually apply to Link. Link obviously can't do any fludd related techniques because he doesn't have one. What I was thinking is that it could be more like is...take the ganon boards for example, I read somewhere that they are discussing immediately double jumping from the edge for some type of benefit or isj-ing on blast zones. These are things that can apply to Link as well.

Well i'm not sure exactly the kind of stuff you want, but i got this from the matchup thread in the Ike boards, in the section about Link (made by YagamiLight).

Pertaining to our zair: "...A good idea would be to predict it and roll under Link. You could, as a side note, try to mindgame him into using the Zair by using Step Draw and then swiftly punishing, but that’s pretty risky, as you have to predict the Zair...."

They named Battlefield, Green Greens, Frigate Orpheon, Rainbow Cruise (what?! lol), and Pirate Ship as stage counter picks against us.

The other stuff in there was like "he has a bad recovery" or "get close and dont let him projectile spam us" or other obvious stuff.
You're thinking more of a matchup thread. I think the character icons are throwing people off. I'm not really interested in what characters are using against us, again, I am looking for things they use that we can use. I also read in some characters are discussing something about dash buffering and how it affects their game play. This is somethng that may also have use for Link.

Kief

Smash Ace
You're thinking more of a matchup thread. I think the character icons are throwing people off. I'm not really interested in what characters are using against us, again, I am looking for things they use that we can use. I also read in some characters are discussing something about dash buffering and how it affects their game play. This is somethng that may also have use for Link.
oh, alright i gotchya. i snoop around on other boards plenty, so i'll keep my eyes peeled.

Izaw

Smash Ace
lol, seriously, there isnt anything to learn from other characters if your LINK

The truth is. People that mains anyone but Link, should watch Links meta game and learn from it, cause imo Link has the most advanced and whide metagame of all characters.

His recovery is just crap :[

But that's why we have DI ;D

Kief

Smash Ace

The truth is. People that mains anyone but Link, should watch Links meta game and learn from it, cause imo Link has the most advanced and whide metagame of all characters.

His recovery is just crap :[

But that's why we have DI ;D
he does have a pretty darn good point.

and izaw i saw you posted in the thread that colaya provided. i think they were talking about tilting jigglypuffs f-tilt to hit tethers on the ledge like link and break them. like the cutting the rope with a knife thing in the movies. apparently it would break our tether after we latched on but before we ride it up to the ledge, and make us fall. i guess they can do it to use while we're regrabbing the ledge too.

p.s. while this doesn't pertain to this thread, i think its something we should be aware of when facing jigglypuffs.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Ok, let I'll discuss your points one sentence at a time...

I don't agree with this at all. You can always learn something new about the developing matchup (though thats not the point of this thread) and there could be new discoveries at any time. Some other boards might find something new that is ok for there character, but it might turn out that it is very effective for Link.

The truth is.
I can't argue with that.

People that mains anyone but Link, should watch Links meta game and learn from it, cause imo Link has the most advanced and whide metagame of all characters.
True that people can learn from link's metagame, but it is difficult to claim that Link has the most advanced metagame. Yes we have some of the most productive boards here, but Link is not a popular character; characters that are super popular are more likely to be advanced simply because they have more players working on it. Even if we were more advanced, we can always learn something new from other players or our metagame would just stale.

btw, where are those top tier vids you were gonna post?

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff's have a nice big thread on stuff about how useful Footstools are and combos that can come from them. A 0-Death found for any character is always nice even if it is situational andf tricksy to pull off. And well. Bad recovery+little boost=Profit of course.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216001

Link can cause Snake to C4 Sticky himself (we aren't done testing ourselves.. it may be far less situational..), and the best part for Link (if the Snake isn't expecting it) - the C4 stick is silent.

What does this mean for Link?

If the Snake player is unable to see the c4 on themselves (this happens sometimes), they may try planting a second c4, only to blow themselves up.

In 27 seconds (after Snake using down-B, and not exploding it on command) the c4 can explode, and sometimes it stays stickied for that entire time (I need to test exactly what causes a c4 to get 'unstickied' or 'fall off' because I've stickied my opponent, got it on myself, and we played 'chase the rabbit' for 27 seconds, and I blew up.... ( I airdodged, because I know the timing of it =p so I didn't get hurt, but still... it should have fell off)

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Extremely situational, involves Snake but he doesn't need to cooparate, many of us SH C4 plant on platforms, myself included. often times we try to get it on the edge of a platform (especially on BF, so when you're on the ledge it can hit you ;)) , and you can use that against us and cause us to stick ourselves.

And like I said, we haven't fully tested it, so it may be less situational. As of now however, as you said... extremely situational

DivineBlade

Smash Apprentice
i think the best strategy for a match up against meta knight is to take the advantage that he lacks projectiles. Just a thought, but it might. Then again, it depends on how you adapt to the situation and stay defensive.

Kief

Smash Ace
i think the best strategy for a match up against meta knight is to take the advantage that he lacks projectiles. Just a thought, but it might. Then again, it depends on how you adapt to the situation and stay defensive.
now this right here is ground breaking.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
what? I coulda sworn it was to spam dair o_0
Yes as we have seen in Deva's more recent videos against MK in Deva's Hell Norfair, the dair is spammable...yes i repeat:
LINK'S DAIR IS SPAMMABLE!

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Deva does love spamming the DAIR. Probably the biggest difference in your game and Legan's lol.

Link has a pretty weird playstyle, it would be weird to try and incorporate another character's metagame into his. I mean Toonlink players steal from us right?

Finns7

Smash Ace
Well my ganon and falcon just use there autocanceled arieals to move around so I wont trip. THERE IS NO GOING BACK :[ ...well with link im starting to do bairs and nairs mixed in with a small serving of pivoting.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
i watched the vid of deva versus an mk.....and in those glorious moments of low tier pwnage i witnessed the epic dair spammage......best yet deva didnt SD with dair like a TL

slickvic

Smash Apprentice
New York City/currently in Los Angeles (college)
i honestly think that the best way to improve our metagame is not to look at others, but to look at ours and start from the beginning. i mean, im sure people did alot of creative things to get where we are now. i believe that if we start from the beginning, we might be able to find some new stuff. just IMO

Swordplay

Smash Lord
The only way to improve Links metagame:

HERE IT IS

Learn matchups.

Most characters don't play Link so they don't know the matchup. The trick is to have at least 2 playing styles in your pocket. Once the opponent learns how to play Link, whip out your other playing style and give them a headache of confusion.

Not to mention if you know how your opponents character works, you have a huge mental advantage even if your character is at a disadvantage.

THIS IS LINKS GREATEST STRENGTH.

Link has 3 styles. Spam Spacing and Tank. If you can effectivly learn all 3 and choose 2 of them to use for a character you will do great. Just by switching playing styles can give you an even larger mental advantage than you already ave.

sasook

Smash Champion
What is tank exactly?

Oh, and IMO bombstoollocking might get Link higher.

I love the comments people say that "just tech it".....yeah, lemme know when you tech a footstool.

Top Bottom