• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link+ [Updated 10-8 - Farewell F-Air, we hardly knew ye]

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Read posts. Type better.

Edit: NEW SET.

I THINK the bombs could use a bit more BKB... I need to get used to them still, I think, and figure out how long the hitstun on them lasts.

The Cape

Smash Master
They actually set up fairly well for F smash, fair, aerial upB, nair, or dair depending on your and opponent placement. Really solid how they are now IMO.

Played a good deal of Link tonight, and while I am not a Link main I will definetly post up the matches :)

matt4300

Smash Ace
They actually set up fairly well for F smash, fair, aerial upB, nair, or dair depending on your and opponent placement. Really solid how they are now IMO.

Played a good deal of Link tonight, and while I am not a Link main I will definetly post up the matches :)
Sweet! Neither SP nor I can play it atm... Good to know some vids are on the way.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Doth my ears deceive me? BOMBS?

Does this mean indiscriminate bombs, too? :D

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
That's what I thought. I think Matt and Cape disagree, but I find it hard to get much out of them, especially against fast-fallers.. They barely move.

matt4300

Smash Ace
That's what I thought. I think Matt and Cape disagree, but I find it hard to get much out of them, especially against fast-fallers.. They barely move.
I don't disagree... Infact I strongly agree with you guys. The enemy doesnt pop of the ground until like 50% wich is bad >_> The one thing that really irks me about bombs is only being able to have 2 out at one time.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Not yet, unfortunately. Hopefully the WBR wants to do so.
Ah. Well, it's a good start, at least.

Still, after all the frak that Link's been getting in the beta, I'm afraid to update. :(

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Had a very small opportunity to play while I was home with family but I re-lent my wii so my friend could play paper mario (AGAIN) I'll drop some opinions.

Don't go crazy man. Just be happy you have them. IMO these new bombs are way better than the old ones.

Right now it seems bombs are used for late game kill setups rather than middle game combo setups. They pop people till 50% Do you want them to pop people at 30 to 40%? From what I've seen the bombs are very good. It just takes some getting use to but I can totally understand if a little more KB than what we have now is what is wanted. I'm neutral on the point. (Maybe slightly leaning towards them poping up at a lower % like 30-35) I think an increase in Base KB and a tweak in KBG might do the trick.

I'd like to present an interesting idea my brother thought of. He though that if the Boomerang had the opposite angle that it has now, maybe 170, then people would be knocked into the wind and would return to Link in hitstun or Tumble. My brother thinks that because the Boomerang would send people into tumble (or at least it looks like it would) it would work GREAT with NADT. Just a thought that might have been a worthy mention. I however thought this was a stupid Idea that should never be implemented because the Knockback needed for the opponent to fly back into a high speed returning boomerang would be crazy. The boomerang can do some funky things due to WINDBOXES so I wouldn't mess with it. (But At this point, I don't think link needs anything)

SHOW YOURSELF WINDBOXES. LIFE NEEDS MOAR WINDBOXES. WE SHOULD UTILIZE WINDBOXES TO THE MAX.

WINDBOXES

============================

Sorry Shadic, I gave my wii back so I won't be able to try new bombs if we get the,

matt4300

Smash Ace
Had a very small opportunity to play while I was home with family but I re-lent my wii so my friend could play paper mario (AGAIN) I'll drop some opinions.

Don't go crazy man. Just be happy you have them. IMO these new bombs are way better than the old ones.

Right now it seems bombs are used for late game kill setups rather than middle game combo setups. They pop people till 50% Do you want them to pop people at 30 to 40%? From what I've seen the bombs are very good. It just takes some getting use to but I can totally understand if a little more KB than what we have now is what is wanted. I'm neutral on the point. (Maybe slightly leaning towards them poping up at a lower % like 30-35) I think an increase in Base KB and a tweak in KBG might do the trick.

I'd like to present an interesting idea my brother thought of. He though that if the Boomerang had the opposite angle that it has now, maybe 170, then people would be knocked into the wind and would return to Link in hitstun or Tumble. My brother thinks that because the Boomerang would send people into tumble (or at least it looks like it would) it would work GREAT with NADT. Just a thought that might have been a worthy mention. I however thought this was a stupid Idea that should never be implemented because the Knockback needed for the opponent to fly back into a high speed returning boomerang would be crazy. The boomerang can do some funky things due to WINDBOXES so I wouldn't mess with it. (But At this point, I don't think link needs anything)

SHOW YOURSELF WINDBOXES. LIFE NEEDS MOAR WINDBOXES. WE SHOULD UTILIZE WINDBOXES TO THE MAX.

WINDBOXES

============================

Sorry Shadic, I gave my wii back so I won't be able to try new bombs if we get the,
Seriously... If anyone has played with the Zero shadic? made they would know exactly how the rangs returning hits should be. It would make the rang more than complete **** without really buffing him all that much.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
maybe we can have links boomerang broken so that when it comes back it still hurts the person rofl (like melee) im joking

but is there any way that the bomb could be able to be bit like snakes grenades so we can have the recovery back or make the bomb explode faster D:

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Monkey having either of the Links' bombs exploding more quickly is too dirty of a dream to realize. D:

Also Monkey, showing me TL can't even hope to camp Link anymore is truly a depressing spectacle. I'll upload some videos of your Link up soon (hopefully).

But that's what Marth is for, right? ^_^

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
Monkey having either of the Links' bombs exploding more quickly is too dirty of a dream to realize. D:

Also Monkey, showing me TL can't even hope to camp Link anymore is truly a depressing spectacle. I'll upload some videos of your Link up soon (hopefully).

But that's what Marth is for, right? ^_^
lol yea i guess ur right and ur marth is too pro btw kinda reminds me of kens marth D:
i'll keep dreaming tho lol

o yea hope to see the vids :)

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIoDdvNyZ0 vs Ike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C66rk07XGTE vs Mulberry Tree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2AHD-cbbvU vs vBrawl Snake

monkey could probably play gayer, idk

and yeah im bad

obv no link exp is depressing
O Snaps so thats what i look like offline hmm

i look gay as crap rofl i might go to melee i had more fun on that when i played it at WABA than B+;)
hmm idk what to do now B+ or melee. o well in the mean time ima burn the melee iso and get some dvd-r so i can play it rofl

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Monkey is a grab maniac.

Also, I'm totally working on removing the Gale from the Galerang. Graphics for it are gone, mostly, (Still got the leaves), and the only useful windbox (The one at the end of the gust) was replaced with a normal hitbox. Working on the boomerang return now.

Not that I expect it to be used in B+, but it's still nice to have.

matt4300

Smash Ace
Monkey is a grab maniac.

Also, I'm totally working on removing the Gale from the Galerang. Graphics for it are gone, mostly, (Still got the leaves), and the only useful windbox (The one at the end of the gust) was replaced with a normal hitbox. Working on the boomerang return now.

@_@ that sounds awsome! If only we could replace that lame *** wet slaping sound it makes when it hits lol. Your also too cruel for showing us how awsome his rang could be... This is gonna be worse than trying to make it through a 64 match and not complain about the gale rang

Demacrez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Demacrez
3DS FC
3583-0929-3994
Monkey is a grab maniac.

At least keep the wind graphics. It's the Gale Boomerang after all.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It would look weird. Right now, it's AWESOME.

Also, working on increasing the range for the Zair... I'm curious if it would make the Zair better. Gotta wait for this final to be over, though.

kyubikirby

Smash Apprentice
I secondary link at the moment and have a couple replays of me versus my friends Charizard (his main), and I was wondering if there was someone I could email them too to get them uploaded to youtube and critiqued.

Anyone that can, just pm me on here or on youtube (same name)
thank you in advanced.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
What's so bad about the Gale Boomerang? :( I think removing it is kinda alienating towards vBrawl link players...

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Firstly -
Secondly, Galerang sucks. It does no damage, no stun, and... Pulls people toward you?

Anybody experienced with playing against Link can dodge it, you can't use it for gimping anybody, because it's incredibly easy to dodge it when it comes at you, and then ride it back for an easy recovery. The only useful windbox is right when it starts to turn around towards Link, because it has a windbox that pushes, instead of pulls.

In short, the boomerang is basically worthless when it starts to come back to Link. In fact, if you screw up and aren't doing an attack when you catch the boomerang, you have the lag from that animation, as well.

This is from both playing against, and with Link.

It went from ridiculously amazing (Smash64), to pretty good (Melee), to "Meh" (Brawl, B+)

Not that I think Link is a crappy character because of it. Or that I never use it, because I do. However, I use it for hopes of messing with the opponent on the way out, not the way in. And I don't throw it much when the opponent is offstage, because if they're a character with a halfway flexible recovery (Nearly everybody) they can often use it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
So do I, but I find bombs and the arrows to work well enough for that. (Especially now that you can combo out of the bombs and the arrows can do something)

sffadsad

Smash Apprentice
I actually find the pull effect of it to be pretty useful when used correctly. I use it when I'm able to anticipate certain up-b recoveries like Captain Falcon's. Charge up an F-smash and you're good to go!

Trying to gimp with the boomerang's hitbox is never a good idea. Although it's fairly situational, wind gimps are done with the boomerang by throwing it at the ledge with an angle so that it either rises above Link or falls below him. Izaw made fairly good use of this in vBrawl, especially against other Links. The pushing windbox can be activated earlier and can continue to stay in effect if you angle the boomerang downward toward the ground, I'm not sure when you'd actually use that, but it's a nice little tip to know in case you want to push something out of the air.

Sure Galerang isn't stellar especially when compared to his other projectiles, but Link's already good enough. He doesn't need that returning hitbox anymore, and honestly it would help him get out of combos pretty easily with the decreased hitstun, not to mention the fact that it would no longer be safe on reflectors. Instead of completely changing the move try being inventive with it or just use it for its forward moving uses only. I don't see why there's such a big stink over one (more like half an) average move when Link has so many other great ones to use.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
So i was playing Link+ the other day, and when I tried to do Zair > DACUS, which works beautifully, I accidentally did Zair > Dair, after which I needed a change of pants.

Link+ is now my secondary.

shanus

Smash Hero
If one of you made a gale boomerang brawlbox to look nromal on the return, i'd gladly use it for something for P:M :p

Veril

Frame Savant
gale boomerang is kinda dumb

but... zair is so sick. I'm considering dissecting this move to determine exactly how hard it pwns.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
If one of you made a gale boomerang brawlbox to look nromal on the return, i'd gladly use it for something for P:M :p
I have, but the tornado graphics are also used in his Match Intro.

gale boomerang is kinda dumb but... zair is so sick. I'm considering dissecting this move to determine exactly how hard it pwns.
Agreed with both. However, Zair is not very effective against shorter characters. Then again, it's harder to approach them anyways.

shanus

Smash Hero
I have, but the tornado graphics are also used in his Match Intro.

Agreed with both. However, Zair is not very effective against shorter characters. Then again, it's harder to approach them anyways.
Do send the details to me por favor

Alphatron

Smash Champion
If its project M, then Link should get his N64 intro instead.

Wait..no specific intros in melee. Nevermind.

Top Bottom