• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Vs Meta

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
Ive read alot of threads here and most people think MK owns Link.
I know MK is really fast and what not but i honestly think this is a even match if the link player is good.

Ive watched some vidoes on you of Deva using Link and this happends with me alot.
Most MKs chase u in the air and Link owns in the air. His fair has a good hitbox and his Dair can be used rather surprisngly.

If ure playing a Meta that enjoys using Tornado a little to much then u can do 2 things
1)Hold a bomb and be prepared
2) DI out of it upwards and do a down air or throw a bomb down or sumthing. be creative.

Ive also noticed Links Dair kills floaty charachters (MK, Kirby Jiggy....) at very low % (especially at corneria)

Alright so tell me ure thoughts on why MK owns Link
or
Why Link owns MK

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Ive read alot of threads here and most people think MK owns Link.
I know MK is really fast and what not but i honestly think this is a even match if the link player is good.

Ive watched some vidoes on you of Deva using Link and this happends with me alot.
Most MKs chase u in the air and Link owns in the air. His fair has a good hitbox and his Dair can be used rather surprisngly.

If ure playing a Meta that enjoys using Tornado a little to much then u can do 2 things
1)Hold a bomb and be prepared
2) DI out of it upwards and do a down air or throw a bomb down or sumthing. be creative.

Ive also noticed Links Dair kills floaty charachters (MK, Kirby Jiggy....) at very low % (especially at corneria)

Alright so tell me ure thoughts on why MK owns Link
or
Why Link owns MK
I think that tether grabs were also able to be pulled off against the tornado, which makes for an easy counter to it.

I would say that where MK becomes a nightmare is when you're trying to recover. But on the stage? He is easily camped. I much prefer facing a MK than a Falco.

D

Deleted member

you seriously think MK vs Link is even close to a fair match?

this match is one of the main arguments people use to say that brawl is more unbalanced than melee.

www.smashboards.com/ff

look for a GOOD MK main and then talk to me once you get 3 stocked because of that stupid ball of death's up B combo breaker

more reasons why this is the HARDEST match in probably any game ever invented is because MK has what I think is the best edge guarding in the game. MK's dair will gimp you 100% of the time because even if they miss, guess what? they have 5 more jumps to keep attacking you. It's like kirby's edge guarding just anted up because of the sword

this is the most one sided match its like saying an average pichu player can stand a chance against M2K's fox

A good MK player (and I've had the displeasure of facign a few) is near IMPOSSIBLE to fight. Too fast, no attack lag, high priority, rediculous recovery, too small. He's all of Link's weaknesses in one and I HATE Metaknight. **** Sakurai and his biases. **** THEM.

stylux7

Smash Rookie
Well I'll agree in most parts that yes Meta Knight is better. Link is, however, is more on the heavy side. Making it so meta knight might have trouble getting you in the air. Might. Yes meta knight's moves are fast but Links come out pretty fast to. And it wont take much to make meta knights amazing recovery worthless. SH to dair would be useful. Fsmash I think helps. Ub on the ground can be used so meta knight doesn't jam you. Projectile spam with bombs and boomarangs like crazy. I would not do a lot of arrows just because meta knight will prolly avoid it in some way. Basically stay on the ground and overpower him

D

Deleted member

Well I'll agree in most parts that yes Meta Knight is better. Link is, however, is more on the heavy side. Making it so meta knight might have trouble getting you in the air. Might. Yes meta knight's moves are fast but Links come out pretty fast to. And it wont take much to make meta knights amazing recovery worthless. SH to dair would be useful. Fsmash I think helps. Ub on the ground can be used so meta knight doesn't jam you. Projectile spam with bombs and boomarangs like crazy. I would not do a lot of arrows just because meta knight will prolly avoid it in some way. Basically stay on the ground and overpower him
you have no idea what you are talking about.

a few things wrong with your second and third sentences

1. this is brawl, nobody ever has trouble getting you into the air
2. weight doesnt effect how high you fly, damage does
3. up smash > uair> uair > uair> uair> uair> uair> up b

you can't gimp MK's recovery, link's items dont do enough knockback to push him back into the KO zone and i'll dare u to chase him off the edge

up b is pretty much worthless in this game and you can't over power something you can't hit

stylux7

Smash Rookie
I know what makes you fly. Im saying that if you can stay on the ground over power him. Link has more range anyhow. Ub can at least get him off you. He's light so if you have any damage at all on him then yea youll have some breathing room.
Gimping his recovery is basically impossible yes. But if MK uses his Ub then you can gimp him then, He doesnt fly mega fast. Plus if he's just flying back and hasnt used his UB yet then as soon as he gets in range to do it jump out and dair him.

D

Deleted member

But if MK uses his Ub then you can gimp him then, He doesnt fly mega fast. Plus if he's just flying back and hasnt used his UB yet then as soon as he gets in range to do it jump out and dair him.
i'd love to see you jump out and try to gimp mk's up b without being stage spiked. seriously i can already tell that you havent fought a good MK, as far as my knowledge goes you cant edge guard the little fool

Goodstyle

Smash Apprentice
Metaknight owns link along with more than 70% of the roster. Why? Because there's a reason why he's the 2nd best character in the game. Find out more on the MK boards.

Deva

Smash Lord
Yeah, uhhh......MK is possibly Link's worst matchup.

One thing though, you can't gimp MK, but you can dair off the edge and it get's through his up b if you time it right. Again, be careful, and don't use it uless he's in his kill zone or else it will just weaken your dair.

just pick norfair of electroplankton and you'll be ok. any stage with small sides or ceiling is good, cuz believe it or not, it's the one matchup you can up-b out of shield, lol, and it can actually kill MK at a reasonable percent.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I agree, I fight this one pro MK and one not so good MK player almost everyday.

The not so good MK player gets me in his air combos alot even though he has no Idea what he's doing. The only thing possible to do the is air dodge.

The Pro MK player Gimps + Uses the down air alot while I'm out of stage. The only time I do get a chance do attack him is when he does an 'unsurprising" dash attack towards me. It allows me to use a forward smash, cause of that lag.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
So much truth in there.

No never know when you could use it to maybe interrupt or use in recovery.
By holding it. No SSBM bomb recovery, remember?
Actually you can still bomb recovery the timing of the bomb is just longer and can't be hit and works most effectively at high percentages. Or just hold the bomb for a while up b if timed correctly you blow up upB and go back to the stage.

neji32

Smash Lord
So ts not my link?

I was reading threads saying kirby was links worse match up but the only character that i have never beaten was a pro mk. Ive beaten pretty much every other pro character besides mk(when i say pro i just mean pro level, they know the techs and strategies of that character).

I dont know what to do against Mk, but the funny thing is, i do better against Mk with link than toon link. But then again ivs beaten Mks with Toon link.

So no one knows a absolute MK beater strategy.

Deva

Smash Lord
you guys want some tips on beating MK? I've beaten every one I've played in tournament. That includes Eggz and Brdy. I don't have any strategies to **** MK but I know a few tricks for survival, spacing and edgeguarding.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
really...you'll have to share some of those edgegaurding tips cause everytime i try to edgegaurd a meta it either

A doesn't work
B I get gimped.
or
C I sacrifice myself in an attempt to get a kill.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
MK is overpowered compared to Link. He is all of Link's weaknesses put together in an overrated character (and overused) I wish MK had some sort of weakness. He has 0 lag on almost all of his attacks, he's pretty fast and can gimp you right off the stage. MK is overpowered!

HE'S OVER 9000!!!

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
The way I deal with MK is spacing, and fighting at a distance, and if MK approaches I fend him off with zair retreating or advancing or in place. The rang is very useful against him as well. As for edgeguarding, if I send MK far enough, it will require MK a few jumps to reach the stage. During that time I will use the rang to keep him far ( the rang ,when it connects, actually stops the forward progress of a midair jump and it can set you up for an edgehog. Good to use against characters like Toon Link or Marth) , and maybe MK will run out of jumps and will use his up b, and then I either use the rang again and go for an edgehog, or at the end of MK's upb recovery where he is gliding going for the ledge, I will go for an aerial interception. That's just what I would try to do; a good MK will find a way around it, but that's the only edgeguarding tactics that I've come up with. It's pretty much impossible to gimp MK's recovery.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
you have no idea what you are talking about.

a few things wrong with your second and third sentences

1. this is brawl, nobody ever has trouble getting you into the air
2. weight doesnt effect how high you fly, damage does
3. up smash > uair> uair > uair> uair> uair> uair> up b

you can't gimp MK's recovery, link's items dont do enough knockback to push him back into the KO zone and i'll dare u to chase him off the edge

up b is pretty much worthless in this game and you can't over power something you can't hit
The spin attack if timed correctly can be used to stop the roll attack of Jigglypuff and Sonic.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
pretty much anything in link's arsenal will out prioritize those two moves

plus fsmash is easier to launch and isnt as hard to time as the up b
True...but at least the spin attack can useful there even if there are better options... Sigh...I miss the cheap horizontal spike spin attack KOs scored off the edge in Melee...

matricide

Smash Cadet
for this matchup i suggest you listen to the song by outcast, bombs over baghdad and replace baghdad with metaknight for a great tactical strategy.lol.

neji32

Smash Lord
meta knights up B doesnt give him much vertical distance, so if hes low enough, why not jump out there and Nair him, 1 of 3 things mil happen

1) the meta will stop you with up b and kill both you and himself but you most likely first so dont ry it on the last stock

2)the meta will be hit and pushed back and he will take a little bit of damage and be lower, possibly gimped

3)the meta will air dodge and as you try to come back to the stage 1 of 2 things will happen
(1)) you will get the ledge first and the meta will Up B and go right through you, succesgullly gimped
(2)) he will time it perfectly and own you with Up B

so its possible to gimp meta, its just not and is mostly based on luck

Deva

Smash Lord
XD

Nair has no priority in this game lol. And what would happen is you'd get stage spiked and the meta would barely move back and still recover.

For edge guarding, here's a near fool proof method:

Full jump over the stage as MK gets closer to the stage, and drop a bomb. Then double jump into a dair. It creats 2 hazards as MK recovers, making it difficult to avoid them both. if they get hit by the bomb, they risk getting stage spiked, killed off the top by it (cuz it's MK >_>) or getting knocked out again so you can repeat the process. If they avoid the bomb, they're pretty much getting hit by your dair, and well all know what happens then ^_^. This is great against better MK's that like to stall b4 they recover so they can gimp your dair edge guard. Drop the bomb at the time when you would normally Dair. It acts as a decoy that can also potentially kill. Then they either have to go for the bomb or get hit by your stalled dair. It's almost fool proof. Very rarely can they time the up-b between the bomb and dair, and yes, even the really good ones.

Deva

Smash Lord
ok $10, gotta watch out for that MK donkey punch right? Where's your mario dammit XD. No more Mk lol.

VanHero

Smash Cadet
i was just fighting a MK online (link is my main), and he owned me..... well i could've won but i kept making stupid mistakes such as using dair when i should've been recovering :p. well i believe his name was David ( ifound him through the match finder) but as the battles progressed i began to understand his strategies, and i was fairly close to beating him in our last match.

Top Bottom