• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's arrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Let's face it, Link's arrow isn't as good as it can be, and it has a lot of potential of becoming awesome. Let's compare it to Pit's arrow. Pit's arrow never ends unless it hits something, and Link's arrow ends two feet in front of him at fully charged. Pit's arrow can be fired almost instantly and he can control the movements, and Link's arrow can be fired almost instantly, but lack A LOT of range when doing that.

So how can we make his arrows as good as Pit's? Well I think Pit's arrows will always be the superior, but I know how we can give Link an advantage over it.

To start off, the only game I have ever played of Zelda was Skyward Sword (some of Link to the past and Ooc, but barely anything), and here is how I think its arrow can go into the Smash world.

When using an arrow, you can charge it very slowly, or really fast, and I am pretty sure which option Link mains would want (slowly:troll:). Anyways, I think he could be able to charge up his arrow faster than he does in Brawl. And when he does charge it up, it flies out in a straight line until it hits or flies off stage.

My hope for the arrow will be that you can't pick it up if it hits the ground, or a wall.

Second, Link can aim his arrow anywhere in a complete circle, which can be a huge advantage to Pit's since he can only aim in three spots. I would also like the option for him to aim under him too, because this can help stun characters under you. When you charge up his arrow, you can move his aim around to anywhere you like, as long as you like!

Third, he can walk around with his arrow. I'm not too sure about this option, but I wouldn't mind if it got in. What happens is that Link gets his arrow out and can still walk around and aim at the same time. This will only work on the ground, and he can't jump at all using this. This might take some dexterity. Also, Link will be completely vulnerable to attacks until he shoots the arrows.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
When using an arrow, you can charge it very slowly, or really fast, and I am pretty sure which option Link mains would want (slowly:troll:). Anyways, I think he could be able to charge up his arrow faster than he does in Brawl. And when he does charge it up, it flies out in a straight line until it hits or flies off stage.
That doesn't seem very logical.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Things I want for the bow in order of how much I want 'em:

-Aimable. Duh.
-Walking/jumping while aiming (controls like the Cracker Launcher)
-Faster charging.
-Arrow penetrates targets.
-Bomb arrow, if a bomb is being held, turning it into a potential KO move.

And that is all.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Let Link aim it in any direction, but it shouldn't fly in a straight line. It may do that in Zelda, but I don't like the idea of that in Smash. Overcharge the Hero's Bow a bit and you can use a bomb-arrow, but you have to shoot it quickly or it explodes before you shoot it.

Also, Toon Link should use elemental arrows.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
No because it still defies physics, even if shot at its strongest. It has to drop attitude eventually.
True, but I just hope it goes farther than before. Keep going straight was a little too much.

Hong

The Strongest
As a Link player; give fully charged arrows knockback about equal to Samus's smash missiles from SSBM.

Link hasn't had lethal projectiles since SSB64. For a character who is so easy to gimp, it would be only fair if he could return the favour.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i agree to the aimable arrows.
if he is allowed to walk while aiming, it should be more like snakes nade cooking.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Toon Link using elemental arrows and Link using regular/bomb arrows seems like a good idea. If Toon Link's arrows choose randomly, I would love that. Anyways, this is about Link. I think he should be able to aim and charge arrows, but they won't turn into bomb arrows. To get bomb arrows, he brings out a bomb and shoots. A fully charged bomb arrow would have quite the knock back.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Okay. ^^ But remember: Link has more projectiles than Pit. ^^ He has arrows, boomerang, bombs... ^^ If wie count attacks from distance, he has also grappling hook. Pit has only one distance attack. ^^ That means Link has more options for distance attacks. For example he can throw his bombs down. Pit can't that. ^^

Okay Pit can arrow loop, and he can move his arrow down... But you need a little bit lucky to hit your aim. ^^

I think the most characters has disadvantages. Link for example isn't good at use his arrow in Brawl... And Pits mirrorshield doesn't protect him by back attacks ( on air and ground ).

Maybe Link needs an other attack instead his arrows, but I think the most gamer want to keep it. ^^

D

Deleted member

the way to fix the arrows is by adding more hitstun. if you're hit in the air they shouldn't knock you up so much and if you're hit on the ground they should make you flinch instead of being popped up.

arrows with no charge should be more floaty, that way they control more space. fully charged arrows should be very fast and have high hitstun to completely stop advances or recoveries.

the arrows are more of an edge guarding tool, bombs and boomerangs are just better when you're on the stage.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
It sounds very OP.

I mean, if Ganondorf want to recover to stage, he would fall because link stops recoveries like you said.
Characters with a bad recovery don't have a chance. ^^

And characters with a good recovery can't use one of the most important advantages. ( Fly characters... Meta-Knight... Pit... after Chirizard maybe... )

But I agree all other things ^^

SilverRaiden

Smash Rookie
Second, Link can aim his arrow anywhere in a complete circle, which can be a huge advantage to Pit's since he can only aim in three spots. I would also like the option for him to aim under him too, because this can help stun characters under you. When you charge up his arrow, you can move his aim around to anywhere you like, as long as you like!
This wouldn't be a bad idea. you could drop an arrow from midair straight down. That could be good for messing up the opponent's rhythm. Then link could finish with his D-air.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Link should be able to get either the fire or ice arrows from Ocarina of Time if he charges long enough.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Young Link's fire arrows gave extra hitstun. Something like that would be good.

LazerRage

Smash Cadet
I would love it if Sakurai would take some notes from the people making Project M.... they are onto something interesting by giving Samus the ability to change her weapon (I believe she switches to ice missiles) when a specific taunt is used--- sheer genius! They could TOTALLY implement that with Link- like he could switch between regular, fire, and ice arrows with his side-taunt. And taking it even further, maybe the down-taunt could switch out bombs, bombchus, or powder kegs.. (a guy can dream) ?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
the way to fix the arrows is by adding more hitstun. if you're hit in the air they shouldn't knock you up so much and if you're hit on the ground they should make you flinch instead of being popped up.
arrows with no charge should be more floaty, that way they control more space. fully charged arrows should be very fast and have high hitstun to completely stop advances or recoveries.
So, uncharged should do what it does now but slower and with less upward knockback, while fully charged should do what it does now but faster and with a touch more range? Works for me.

If they're going to be aimable, I say go the Yoshi way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom