• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS List of characters who can go under Battlefield! Instructions included!

Starline

Smash Cadet
Hello there Smashboards! I'm Starline, a Smash Bros player from Virginia. You might know me as /u/Linearts on reddit.com/r/smashbros. I've been working on a list of characters who can go under Battlefield without dying in the newest Smash title on the Nintendo 3DS. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out this great video by Bizkit for Final Destination in Brawl. I don't yet know of any practical uses for this, but I'm sure people will find some! (I used to do this in Brawl after getting kills as Marth, because going under Battlefield is much flashier than just taunting.) Perhaps you can use these tricks during Sudden Death in For Glory mode, while your unfortunate opponent gets blown up by bob-ombs.

Can this character go under Battlefield? If so, how?

Mario - no.

Donkey Kong - no.

Link - Pull out a bomb, get on the ledge, drop from ledge, jump, up+b, bomb explodes, up+b to ledge.

Samus - yes (bomb jumps using down+b or tether swing using zair)

Kirby - Drop from ledge, jump, jump, jump, jump, turnaround jump, up+b.

Fox - Drop from ledge, side+b under stage, jump diagonally, up+b straight upwards to ledge.

Pikachu - Jump off left side, charge Skull Bash facing right, midair jump, up+b.

Bowser - Airdodge the ledge, jump, up+b, mash B while holding sideways! (Not up+sideways - just sideways.)

Pit - Drop from ledge, jump, jump, jump, up+b.

Villager - Probably the easiest one in the whole game. Drop from ledge, midair jump, up+b diagonally to the other ledge.

Mega Man - no (?)

Wii Fit Trainer - yes (mash up+b for extra distance)

Olimar - yes (mash up+b. might be impossible while carrying three purples - more testing needed)

Luigi - yes

Peach - Drop from ledge, float horizontally to the other side, midair jump, reverse up+b.

Toon Link - Same as Link, above.

Sonic - Jump off right side, bair, midair jump, up+b, walljump to ledge.

Marth - This one requires somewhat strict timing. Stand on the leftmost of the three platforms. Run to the left, and jump just before you get to the end. Start charging a Shield Breaker, and wavebounce it to flip your momentum to the right. Let go of B right before the attack stops charging by itself (you can actually get the same momentum as a fully-charged one, but quicker)! Use your midair jump, then the first slash of Dancing Blade just before you start falling. (If you use side+b too early, you won't rise enough from your jump, but if you wait too long, Marth starts falling again.) Dolphin Slash to get to the ledge sweetspot.

Rosalina - yes

Zelda - Drop from ledge, midair jump, up+b to the opposite ledge.

King Dedede - Drop from ledge, jump, jump, jump, jump, up+b diagonally towards the other ledge.

Lucario - yes at 0%, unknown at higher damage

Little Mac - no.

Diddy Kong - I think this is the hardest one that isn't completely impossible. Start near the right end of the floor of Battlefield (not on the platform). Run off the right edge, then Money Flip to the left. Immediately after your side+b, you need to do a quarter-circle rotation of the circle pad so it's pointing down, to avoid grabbing the ledge. After falling a bit, use your midair jump, then start charging Rocketbarrel Boost. You can hold up+b for a looong time - it looks like you're going to die but there's a bit of space below the bottom edge of the camera area. Angle it a bit to the right of the sweetspot, and you'll snap to the ledge.

Zero Suit Samus - From the right edge of the floor of Battlefield, jump backwards off the stage. You need to be facing left the whole time. Use zair to tether the ledge. Tap down on the circle pad at the zenith of the swing to release the tether while keeping your momentum. After this, down+b, midair jump, then up+b to the other ledge. Alternative, slightly harder method: drop from the ledge, then midair jump at the halfway point. Do a reverse down+b to hit the wall, then walljump to the ledge.

Sheik - Jump off left side, bair (to avoid grabbing the ledge), jump, up+b into the stage (this will push you onto the ledge if done correctly). Alternate example on Final Destination

Yoshi - yes (easy)

Charizard - yes (easy)

Greninja - Starting from the right end of Battlefield, face left and full jump backwards. At the peak of your jump, start charging Shadow Sneak. Release it once you get to the vertical level of the bottom of the stage. After reappearing, midair jump and then use Hydro Pump to ascend to the left ledge.

Ike - no.

Mii Gunner - ?

Mii Swordfighter - ?

Mii Brawler - ?

Palutena - no (?)

Pac-Man - yes

Captain Falcon - no.

Robin - no (?)

Shulk - Airdodge the ledge, midair jump under the middle of the stage, then up+b quickly. (Impossible to perform with Shield Monado Arts.)

Meta Knight - Drop from ledge, jump, jump, jump, jump, reverse up+b.

Ness - One of the hardest - you'll need to be very precise. Starting from the floor on the right side, jump and airdodge the ledge. Use your midair jump at the very bottom of the screen, outside of the camera area. Use PKT2 to launch yourself at the ledge.

Falco - yes

Wario - yes

Lucina - Same method as Marth, above.

Dark Pit - Same as Pit, above.

Dr. Mario - Drop from ledge, down+b, jump, up+b. Alternative method using a platform

R.O.B. - yes (very easy)

Ganondorf - no.

Mr. Game & Watch - yes

Bowser Jr. - yes. Example

Duck Hunt - yes (easy)

Jigglypuff - Walk off left side, side+b facing right, side+b, jump, jump, jump.

I've tested most of the cast besides the Mii Fighters. It turns out almost everyone can do it, and I'll eventually edit the list to include instructions for every character who can. If the list says "no (?)" after a character, then I wasn't able to do it, but it might be possible. If I just wrote "no." then it's probably impossible. If the list just says "yes", I'll add instructions after deciding on the easiest method. If you have an easier method than one I've written, or you've done it with a character I failed with, please leave a reply explaining how to do it, and I'll update the list! And if you've got a video of a character going under Battlefield, post a link and I'll add it.

Special thanks to reddit users rideride, Plorp, and comradecarcrusher! Edit: Here's a previous version of this list, that I posted on /r/smashbros.
Edit 2: Greninja method by Smashboards user Spirst.
Edit 3: Shulk method by Rideride.
Edit 4: Bowser method by Rideride.

Last edited:

Spirst

Greninja- Medium difficulty. Begin with a full hop off the edge and start the shadow sneak to the opposite side while falling off the stage. Don't let the shadow sneak go on too long or the cooldown animation lag won't give you enough time to react and you'll SD. Release the shadow sneak around the point where Greninja is equivalent in the X-axis to the bottom of the stage. You should appear right around the middle of the stage bottom. Use your second jump and then hydropump diagonally in the direction of the stage and then up.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Just want to say that Villager can do a Corneria Jump. The Recovery is that amazing

Starline

Smash Cadet
Just want to say that Villager can do a Corneria Jump. The Recovery is that amazing
I did notice that Villager has probably the easiest Battlefield Jump in the game, but seriously? Corneria? That's amazing. How do you do it? (I'm assuming you mean left-to-right.) Is it just ledge drop, midair jump, up+b?

Last edited:

Starline

Smash Cadet
Release the shadow sneak around the point where Greninja is equivalent in the X-axis to the bottom of the stage.
Is this a typo? I think you meant Y-axis, unless the axes are reversed in Smash Bros and I'm just ignorant. I got the method to work easily when I released Shadow Sneak while at the same height as the zenith of the bottom surface of the stage.

Edit: accidental double-post. Is there a way to merge this with my previous reply?

Last edited:

Unseen Dragon

Smash Rookie
Is this a typo? I think you meant Y-axis, unless the axes are reversed in Smash Bros and I'm just ignorant. I got the method to work easily when I released Shadow Sneak while at the same height as the zenith of the bottom surface of the stage.

Edit: accidental double-post. Is there a way to merge this with my previous reply?
Copy-paste the text and delete the post should work?
EDIT: Or I'm ignorant and there is no delete button >.>

Last edited:

Spirst

Yes, apologies, I meant the Y-axis.

The timing for the shadow sneak can be a bit difficult initially as that one move is the biggest component in going under the stage but it becomes very easy once the timing is internalized.

RideRide

Smash Cadet
shulk can do it without any art. avoid edge grab, double jump, up b earlier than you think you should. he can do it in speed too, but not shield. timing is a little hard.

RideRide

Smash Cadet
Bowser can actually do it too. Avoid ledge, double jump, press up b and spam b while holding left, not up left, just left.

Top Bottom