• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide List of Mega Man's Techniques and Tricks

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Huh, MattyG's around my age? Interesting. It's always cool to see people my age dominate. Heck, I didn't know I was a week older than Tweek. :p I'm not nearly as good as those two, but it motivates me to get better. I just wish I could face people in my area (San Antonio). I don't know how my area is, but if it's active, I'm going in. :)

Still, good to know we're getting new reps, and we seem to hearing more about them each day it feels like.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Seeing you mention smash con placements made me feel like looking mine up. I feel like I underperformed getting 97th this year at smash con =.= . Whereas 2015 Smashcon I got 47th. Curses. I'mma make sure I do amazing at my next national. Legit though, currently working on adding footstool punish to my game.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Seeing you mention smash con placements made me feel like looking mine up. I feel like I underperformed getting 97th this year at smash con =.= . Whereas 2015 Smashcon I got 47th. Curses. I'mma make sure I do amazing at my next national. Legit though, currently working on adding footstool punish to my game.
Keep your chin up. We don't win them all, and sometimes we do poorly when we know we're good. Just keep practicing and don't get discouraged, even if it's easy to get that way sometimes.

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
As an infinite, it isn't very reliable because the Metal Blade randomly disappears. Look up some videos featuring Kamemushi's Mega Man instead. That guy has the footstool combos down!
Late reply yeah, but I was thinking about this earlier today and was curious if there may be a way to make the combo a true 0-death by throwing the blade mid combo after it despawns. Afaik this was never done before, but turns out there is indeed a way to extend the combo using z catches and blade tossing mid combo.

Video showcasing the concept:

Messed up at the end but I think you can understand what I'm getting at here. Obviously you don't need to start with the b reverse like I did in the video, it can start from a regular footstool combo. This extension only applies to when the blade despawns.

While this should be a true combo, it only is true if you manage to get 2 hits from the metal blade toss. Haven't managed to make the combo true with just one hit from the blade yet. Main trick with making sure you get both hits is spacing. In order for this to work you need to jump backwards a little bit to make sure the angle is good, then you can start moving towards your opponent so you can reach them quick enough. Depending on how far back you need to jump to make the angle good depends on how far away you land after the lemon lock, so use the spacing in the video for a reference and mess around with it in training mode.

After you get the 2 hits, the inputs are as follows: dash forwards SLIGHTLY, jump, return control stick to neutral, grab the blade, jump(footstool), buffer grab for the z drop, continue the rest of the combo like normal. The inputs need to be incredibly quick, and if you aren't used to doing stuff like this it can be pretty difficult to learn. Just practice every now and then and eventually it should become muscle memory.

Haven't tested on everyone obviously but in theory this should be true on everyone the normal footstool combo works on, as long as you can get the 2 hits from the metal blade toss.

Congrats robots, you can kill at 0.

Last edited:

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
But you aren't jab locking. You are hitting only once and the CPU will do a getup but isn't it possible to roll out of a non jablock like that?

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
The jab still locks if you only hit once. You don't have to do it exactly like in the vid, I just happened to do it like that when recording. You can do the triple jab too

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
The jab still locks if you only hit once. You don't have to do it exactly like in the vid, I just happened to do it like that when recording. You can do the triple jab too
The jab most definitely does not lock from one hit, the AI will always do neutral get up after being hit once, but against a person, if you don't hit all three times, they could roll or getup attack in that situation.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
The jab most definitely does not lock from one hit, the AI will always do neutral get up after being hit once, but against a person, if you don't hit all three times, they could roll or getup attack in that situation.
I am 99% sure a jab lock can be any amount and that it just auto breaks after more than 3 hits. >.>

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
I am 99% sure a jab lock can be any amount and that it just auto breaks after more than 3 hits. >.>
That's weird then because I've been getup attacked by shieks numerous times after only landing one or two of the three pellets after aerial footstool.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
That's weird then because I've been getup attacked by shieks numerous times after only landing one or two of the three pellets after aerial footstool.
What that means is you didn't him them with the lemon soon enough during the bounce, but you still hit them when they were on the ground. try letting them land in prone then hitting them and you'll find they can still choose any option. Has to be during the bounce to lock em

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
It's been while but I've come back with a new zero to death infinte
Metalblade doesn't disappear because it doesn't the ground and it should have less variance depending (so you dont have to account for varying footstool animations and etc)

It's fairly simple

sh > Zdrop > bair spike

The break down

Short hop

> (while acsending) Z-drop metal blade inside opponent (1)

> Metablade hits twice (2)

> Fast fall Bair (3) and catch metalblade (4) at the same time at apex of jump

> repeat until death percent (4)

1. (a must!! or else it's not fast enough to be an infinite. short characters are immune i suppose)
  2. (a must!! so SDI and mis spacing the metablade will break combo)
  3. (only first hit should connect resulting in a spike)
  4. (If you do this the Metalblade never touches the ground and therefore never has a chance to disappear.)
  5. (it works from 0 to 50 -100% Depending on character, Metalblade begins to have to much knockback to be able to spike with bair. the infinite breaks a little after kill percent so just kill them as soon as possible)
I just found it so Ill grind it until i can save a replay of me doing it.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Not sure if anyone's seen this or brought this up yet, but someone appears to have found a new way of edge guarding from the ledge.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This looks a little tricky to pull off and may not be that optimal, but it's interesting to take note of it.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Not sure if anyone's seen this or brought this up yet, but someone appears to have found a new way of edge guarding from the ledge.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This looks a little tricky to pull off and may not be that optimal, but it's interesting to take note of it.
It may actually be more optimal than you might think. You're already going for a ledge trump>bair. So if you z-drop a metal blade immediately as you're falling and going to grab the ledge, the metal blade can cover an option if your opponent already grabs the ledge and gets back onstage if you're too late. So either way, if you time the z-drop metal blade just right, you'll be taking a stock from them with a bair regardless if you get to the ledge in time or not. This is just my first impressions, but it looks like a situation where it might not even matter what your opponent does as you'll be taking the stock with bair one way or another.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
It looks like roll would likely bypass it, but standing getup, attack getup, jump getup could all potentially get hit by the blade 0.o

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you are going for a trump then they cant do a ledge drop or a standing getup actually. so they can roll, jump, or attack getup if you trump them. so if you time the blade to cover attack/jump the only non trump non hit by blade input they can do from that is roll, assuming my logic holds

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Well, if you do trump, you cover a lot of options... But the player on the gif didn't. Fair enough XD

I woudn't count on that too much, but if it happens, footstool seems to be the best punish (if LS is still active)

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
What that means is you didn't him them with the lemon soon enough during the bounce, but you still hit them when they were on the ground. try letting them land in prone then hitting them and you'll find they can still choose any option. Has to be during the bounce to lock em
Upon further testing you are correct, I was able to do one pellet locks on other characters much easier than on shiek, I guess she's just harder to hit during the bounce.

Megamang

Smash Lord
So i had a good tournament run today, won an amatuer bracket at SMYM17!

And i got some solid kills, including some clutch wins, with a trick i stumbled upon...

Dair at a height so you barely auto cancel onto a platform. If they are trying to jump thru the plat but get hit before they make it all the way through it, theyll bounce off the floor... into your waiting utilt or usmash!

Also, c stick nair (or full speed nair with a if youre quick!) Into fair is a nice little string, or just nair nair into pellet hits.

If you arent gonna AC your dair, its not too bad to just FF and take the lag ASAP instead of waiting then getting rekt by the lag anyways.

But yea, c stick nair is the ****! Lets you pellet while FFing, or moving in any direction. You can use our accel to its fullest this way.

Same with uair pressure on platforms, just land ASAP and keep firing them. This helps with the lag, and also fires the air shooter lower giving you slightly better frame advantage.

Z drop at the ledge into ff bair if it hits. If you know the blade isnt gonna hit, you can nair to grab the blade, pressuring them at the same time.

SHFF fair is actually good. Use that ish.

Unix

Smash Cadet
So i had a good tournament run today, won an amatuer bracket at SMYM17!
Congratulations on your participation!

But yea, c stick nair is the ****! Lets you pellet while FFing, or moving in any direction. You can use our accel to its fullest this way.
Nice! Where you have set your jump button to perform this comfortably?

I watches this video long ago.
I tried a few time, but, accidentally perform Dash Attack or cancel second Jump during shooting animation.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Having the c-stick set to tilt I feel is almost an absolute must for Mega Man if you want more consistent options. As Megamang Megamang said, we can do our aerials without losing any momentum and it's also easier to input the aerial that you want to come out since you only have to move the c-stick in any direction whenever you're in the air instead of having to move the joystick while also pressing the A button/attack button. It's also easier to land u-tilt upon landing without accidentally doing an u-smash; which is really good for punishes.

Yeah. I ******* love having c-stick set to tilt!

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
During my time at the Mega Man Discord (no, I didn't leave that place, lol), some have said that have C-Stick to Smash is the preferable option because Megs doesn't have any fast aerials to abuse, and while that's true, I have two objections to that:

1. Megs's Smash attacks aren't the best out there. I like to Spark Shock to juggle into Air Shooter and kill when the situation calls for it. F-Smash I use to try to get a tech chase when my opponent tries to roll back onto the stage. D-Smash I only use as a hard punish when my opponent's shield is broken. The problem is that each of them have noticeable amounts of ending lag, enough lag to get us punish if we whiff or miss our punish or attack.

2. While Megs's aerials aren't abusive like Mario's or Sheik's, having C-Stick to tilt makes things like OOS U-tilt and falling Air Shooter a lot easier to do and doesn't cancel our momentum in the air.

Personally I find C-Stick for tilt to be more beneficial, but C-Stick to Smash might still have its uses.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
How exactly does the cstick work for nairs? I've heard it mentioned a few times but I don't know the details.

I'm just gonna drop this here to say that you can still get the most out of pellets+movement with normal controls and a lot of practice.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
How exactly does the cstick work for nairs? I've heard it mentioned a few times but I don't know the details.

I'm just gonna drop this here to say that you can still get the most out of pellets+movement with normal controls and a lot of practice.

You have to input the c-stick in a diagonal direction if you want the nair to come out. Keep in mind though that only 1 lemon comes out as oppose to 3 or at least for me that is, but you can still do the 2 lemons after the 1 c-stick lemon that came out beforehand.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
You have to input the c-stick in a diagonal direction if you want the nair to come out. Keep in mind though that only 1 lemon comes out as oppose to 3 or at least for me that is, but you can still do the 2 lemons after the 1 c-stick lemon that came out beforehand.
I've done some testing with this prior as I 100% believe c sticking every nair is the most optimal, as it lets you maintain 100% horizontal momentum. I have done a 1, 2, or 3 combo with c stick nair you just have to get the timing right.

That doesn't sound worthwhile.
It's main benefit is maximum air control while lemoning, and in addition it makes z drop blade to aerial recatch retreating nair much easier and more efficient.

I currently use A + stick for now as my current focus is on getting really good with the footstool baits and infinite. But c stick nairs is 100% on my list as something that when learned optimially will provide a massive improvement. Being able to do no momentum loss nairs or fast falling while nairing is very useful.

Megamang

Smash Lord
C stick nairs help everyone. Ryu gets nair confirm bs. Mega gets more pellet mobility. Marth gets retreating ff nair into tipper fsmash. Roy gets confirms... the only downside is technical difficulty. After about a week i dont miss them any more, really ever.

My jump is x, y, and L with no tap jump. I use them all. If you want details, ask about a certain situation and ill try and say when i use which button.

Also, WTF at us having no fast aerials? We have the fastest (tied for with shiek) bair lol. Full mobility over bair is enough to justify the tilt stick... but then you have to consider walking utilt, which is amazing. Our smashes are the worst part of our kit (usmash is the only truly good smash)...

Do whatever works for your style. Hell, the best american mega uses wii mote and nunchuck! But that reasoning doesnt check out to me.

Last edited:

Unix

Smash Cadet
According to some tests carried out. You can shot second and third pellet using grab button.

This is not necessary:
:GCCDL:1,:GCCDL:2,:GCCDL:3.

You can perform using:
:GCCDL:1, :GCZ:2, :GCZ:3.

I have a very big curious. You can drop Metal Blade advancing / retreating using C-stick?
if (Shield+nair=Drop)

:GCLT:(Hold Shield) + :GCX:(jump to left or right) -> :GCCDL:(Drop item)

Too bad I do not have Wii U to try.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
I would like to see some video of cstick nairs and how much mobility they offer. So far everything said I'm able to do without it. The only question is how much more mobility does it offer?

Megamang

Smash Lord
However many frames you arent acceling at full speed is what it costs. Even if that is one (and im far from that) itd be worth it to me.

Its not hard, an hour of practice should cement it for most people... in game practice too, not sitting there nairing. It isnt a huge deal, but when you are soooo close to a better followup/hitting that AD, it can make a difference.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I find cstick nair perfect for nair combos and especially edge guarding.
Bair is better suited for netting a kill with a read on recovery.
Nair has less end lag and is way better for covering options and exhausting the opponents recovery options.
But you have to manage your position and own recovery when going in deep (even more so since megaman is quite the fast faller) and cstick nair makes your movement immensely more efficient

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
According to some tests carried out. You can shot second and third pellet using grab button.

This is not necessary:
:GCCDL:1,:GCCDL:2,:GCCDL:3.

You can perform using:
:GCCDL:1, :GCZ:2, :GCZ:3.

I have a very big curious. You can drop Metal Blade advancing / retreating using C-stick?
if (Shield+nair=Drop)

:GCLT:(Hold Shield) + :GCX:(jump to left or right) -> :GCCDL:(Drop item)

Too bad I do not have Wii U to try.
Yes you can use shield + cstick nair. I use this just to do the true infinite but not to buffer zdrops during footstool since that is very lenient.

By true infinite I mean zdrop > sh zcatch >footstool > buffered zdrop (see beatlock demonstartions) on lemon lock reset and not raw footstool on reset since that's not guaranteed (technically if you are frame perfect and have port priority it is)

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
I think, iirc, people don't use smash cstick for smashes, they use it for super glide toss. Just sayin.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Actually I use it for smashes as well as glide toss. I use it for pivot fsmash and running usmash mostly. I always used cstick smash even before I knew about glide toss. It's just normal smash controls. I've never even tried stick tilts.

Unix

Smash Cadet
Yes you can use shield + cstick nair. I use this just to do the true infinite but not to buffer zdrops during footstool since that is very lenient.

By true infinite I mean zdrop > sh zcatch >footstool > buffered zdrop (see beatlock demonstartions) on lemon lock reset and not raw footstool on reset since that's not guaranteed (technically if you are frame perfect and have port priority it is)
Wow! Amazing! You also use the buffered jump?

Megamang

Smash Lord
This is barely a tip or trick but... use fair sometimes. It isnt that terrible.

The reverse hitbox leads into bair sometimes :D

Its also good for saving your teammate in doubles if they get launched -at kill speed- towards you, since it is fast with a big hitbox and never kills ;_;

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Bair spike works similarly to pika fair (sorta set hitstun, hitstun scales with rage and inversely proportional to a character's weight), Just as pikachu can fair > usmash as long the recipient is light enough (like shiek rosa mewtwo fox) + rage.

Bair spike > utilt.

Some set-ups are Doing this (jab >edgeslip) on a platform

It may be outclassed by edgeslip + lemon lock

This is particularly useful information since you can't platform edgeslip > lemon lock rosalina and other floaty characters
Screenshot_20160909-165306.png

Jab > edgeslip > Bair spike > buffered pivot (not to be confused with perfect pivot, just a pivot) > utilt

reliably edgeslip >lemon lock set-ups are why battlefield > dreamland for megaman

Last edited:
Top Bottom