• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Listening to music while playing Smash

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
So in the last tournament I went to I noticed many people playing smash with headphones on and listening to their ipod/zune. They do it not just in friendlies, but also in MM and tourney matchs, even in the grand finals they are still listening to music.

I never thought that listening to music while playing would be a good idea, as its just another distraction plus you can't hear the sound effects of the match, which is something I rely on often.

So I'm just wondering what are the benefits of listening to music while playing and why some top smashes do it even in the most important matches.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
I personally have never gone to a tournament but being a musician i can say that music has different effects on people. For some it drowns out other distractions around them like cheering and what not. If you are truly focused on the game then the music will just be like white noise to you. Others use it as a way to get pumped during match. It's actually scientifically proven that listening to music will make you work faster.

Everyone's response to music is different and playing while listening to it isn't for everyone.

Merce

Smash Cadet
I find that music helps to drown out the obnoxious individual you knocked out in the previous set from yellin' pessimistic things in your ear...

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Makes me feel like Im in a combo video xD

Idk, Im always listening to music anyway and I find a lot of the ingame music slightly annoying so I just usually jam when Im brawling.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Would you guys say that listening to your music while playing significantly improves your gameplay?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
For me personally, when I'm playing a character on any game that requires a moderate amount of techskill on my part, I'll have music just to keep me from screwing with my muscle memory. If I have a trained action down to a science, the worst possible thing I could do is think while doing it....it completely throws me off.

For Brawl? No. Unfortunately, music also screws with my camping.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I would listen to music, but I think it would screw me over. I like my fast paced and/or loud stuff too much, and I would probably end up trying to jab to the beat. Which would be bad for obvious reasons.

I mean, imagine trying to Brawl to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSAmIYZ2Wjk

When you need to have a great spacing game to do well. I don't see how some people can do it. It would screw my own spacing over so badly...lol

M@v

Subarashii!
Im fine with or without it. Usually i can play better though because it zones everything else out and keeps me focused and calm.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
i need to have a bunch of things going on at once to occupy my mind so yeah it makes me feel better.

it happens from time to time

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Thats interesting, I guess that since I'm a pretty reactive player that sometimes I'd need the sound effects to trigger a reaction from me. Like if I forget where Snake put his C4, I would be wary of it so when I hear "NAO!" I can shield/airdodge on reaction. same with pika and his thunder/downsmash. But I can see for the really technical or predicting players you would want to be able to drown out noise to focus better. Although I'm darn technical myself and I dunno if I can play with music on.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
It really makes it better for me, especially since I use ICs and require extra concentration. I can focus alot better if I start singing along with it too. =)

It depends on what you need.

I personally MUST listen to the sound effects. Without the sound effects, I will feel like I'm playing on mute, and I won't be able to focus.

However, there are people that just can't stand the background noise. When that happens, it's handy to carry around an iPod/Zune.

Pick your poison, and act accordingly.

Dekar173

Justice Man
I prefer the sounds of a crowd going while I'm playing over music.

In CS though, I need music going at a very low volume, it keeps me calm :)

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Classical music while playing Smash? O_o I just can't see that.

But yeah I may experiment with that once I update my ****ty ipod and buy good headphones, but as for now I think I can play at teh top of my game w/o them.

Just wondering, is there any really top elite Smashers that plays while listening to music?

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I listen to music because it helps me to compartmentalize the information I need to focus on. I'm ADHD so its very difficult for me to focus on only one thing, my brain wants at least two. So I give it one static piece of information to keep one focus, and that allows me to give all the rest of my focus to the game.

If I don't have them, my mind tends to wander to any number of things in the room, or in my mind. "What's for dinner?"

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
I only listen to music wen i want 2 concentrate on some boring stuff (home work), but when im playing Brawl, i need the hype, i need the ppl screaming, and the soudFX help me focus more...

IDK im just weird like that :D

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I bring headphones with me in case people are being distracting or trash talking or some ****.

Wanderer on the Offensive never distracts me, it only pumps me up.

Super Shadow Brawler 99

Smash Apprentice
I listen to music on my ipod because:

1. I have something different to listen to besides the same old music in brawl which I'm sure more than a few people are tired of hearing over and over again.
2. To tone out certain people I don't want to hear.
3. Just because It's not bothering anyone.

It's not really improving my game, but not hurting it either.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
There is no way I could listen to music during a match. I need total concentration on the game. I also feel it creates isolation between me and the person I'm versing. I would hate to creat that wall; especially if the person I'm versing is a friend or someone I have a ton of respect for.

Actually, couldn't you get everyone to shut up if you request it? I mean, there are a few actions in brawl that rely upon sound. I know a few people who try to react to things because of this. Many people I believe know that Snake says know just before detonating his C4, so people train themselves to shield that when they here him say that.

Falco players occasionally use the slight noise that occurs before the phantasm as a means to time the canceling of phantasm. Listening to music or background noise could be viewed as an interruption to gameplay o.o

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Pretty sure Lain does.
Luucy in the skyyyyyyyy with diiiamonds...

Oh wait wrong drug.

Anyways, if it ain't touhou, it usually ain't happenin. Touhou makes everything better.

If it isn't something like touhou, I'm usually telling people to quiet down so I can hear when that jerk of a Snake screams out "NOW." D:

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Actually, couldn't you get everyone to shut up if you request it? I mean, there are a few actions in brawl that rely upon sound. I know a few people who try to react to things because of this. Many people I believe know that Snake says know just before detonating his C4, so people train themselves to shield that when they here him say that.

Falco players occasionally use the slight noise that occurs before the phantasm as a means to time the canceling of phantasm. Listening to music or background noise could be viewed as an interruption to gameplay o.o
IDK if you can actually tell people to shut up, I guess with audience its fine, but if its an opponents whos trying to be annoying and get in your head then there isn't much to do. I guess NE has a few of these opponents thats why everyone brings their headphones huh.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion

I look at Snake's body movement to tell whether he's going to hit it, if you're paying attention to your opponent close enough you can really tell.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Except if you go by that you're screwed if you go against Snake in the Japanese version, he only makes a small grunt before he blows up the C4.

Will19

Smash Apprentice
I don't like playing against people with headphones on. Mainly cuz I like conversing during the game. I could be saying stuff like "whoa, nice spike" or whining or cheering or whatever.
Smash is a social game.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Well the mind works in mysterious ways. Think of the science behind it for a second. Like animals, we can be trained to respond to certain stimulants, the same way a dog recognizes a bell he starts drooling knowing that his meal is about to be served (an example I learned in AP Bio).

As for myself, I lack my own rhythm in battle so I rely on my music. Not only drown out the outside distractions but invokes certain emotions that fuel my game.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Every time I've seen Dark Peach play, he had headphones in his ears. I'm pretty sure he always listens to music when he plays. Probably to drown out noise of his own controller inputs. xD

Top Bottom