• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac Moveset Speculation Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
We can clearly see he has Giga Mac as his Final Smash.

One of his moves is a counter as well. (Down B?)

Last edited:

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
That one hit wonder looks soooooooo op but who knows

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Here's how I see him.
He's a very "combo friendly" character. Judging by what we know (and the fact that he's a boxer). We could probably assume an aggressive playstyle could work with him.
Though, by the looks of it. He might have problems with pressure. And could have a "meh" aerial game. Preferring to be on the ground.
His recovery also seems to be like Luigi's Up Special. Having little horizontal mobility.

Last edited:

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Final Smash is Giga Mac from the newest Punch-Out!! game, so that's awesome. Makes me wonder what'll become of Bowser's Giga Bowser transformation.

I believe his down-special will be his dodge counter that we saw in the trailer, similar to Marth, Roy, and Ike's. His up special looks to be an almost straight vertical uppercut, which may be his Achilles' heel for stage recovery.

Looks like his forward special is likely some form of dash-punch, and there are also many points in the video where he seems to have a high number of invulnerability frames, such as when Villager launches the Gyroid at him. It explodes on him without even flinching him.

His dash attack looks to be that sort of jumping punch that he decks Villager (?) with. His grab has him pummeling the opponent with punches, as expected, haha.

Finally, there's his meter, which, according to Miiverse, allows him to deliver a one-hit KO punch when it's charged. I'm not sure if that actually means he'll KO instantly when it's full and connects, or if it's just familiar wording used in the Punch-Out! series.

If he does, in fact, deliver one-hit KOs on a charged meter...then he's going to be a force to be reckoned with, and a very unique character. It's like having a timed, semi-permanent home run bat.

Also, he's fast. Did you see how quick he ran into the ring??

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it will be a true one hit KO. After all, in the scene where it's shown off, Bowser goes from 37% to... 231% if you freeze the scene at the right time.

It was just set up to look super powerful.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I doubt it will be a true one hit KO. After all, in the scene where it's shown off, Bowser goes from 37% to... 231% if you freeze the scene at the right time.

Actually, I figured out how long his OHKO has to charge.

In that clip, notice how the "flames" inside Mac's Punch-Out Character icon moves REALLY fast when the meter is charging but slows back down when the charge is complete.
That means that clip is sped-up (makes sense for a trailer) and to add to that, Bowser started that clip at 37% and at first I thought it was 2 clips but it's definitely only one clip.

In the time Mac was charging his OHKO Punch, Megaman was able to inflict neary 200% damage to Bowser.

That punch must take at least 10 full seconds to charge which is years in a fighting game. If you let him charge that move, you deserve to lose. So let's put the "broken punch" discussions to rest, it's a garbage move (the fully-charged version; the quick uncharged version looks great) and should never affect tournament play.

The 10-second charge is probably a reference to the referee counting down a KOed opponent in Punch-Out.
There's also 10 arrows on the charge meter to back-up these observations.

Last edited:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86

Yeah I'll agree with you there. I would say it's going to be a very heavy hitting move at full power but in that image shown above Samus is at 128% so that's at a KO range anyway. It'll be a double edged sword kinda thing you need to take damage to build up the meter. Also as pointed out above it seems to take some time to charge.

Just a few other things of note as said above that boy is fast like baby fast (adventure time!) he's gonna give Fox and Captain Falcon a run for their money I would say. They pretty well said in the trailer that his aerial moves are going to be weaker than others so I would say Mac is going to be a character you'll want to keep on the ground as often as possible as he's got a lot of super shielding when it comes to his ground moves. He also does seem to fall fast. All in all I am pumped he's in this game but I figured he was in what with the boxing ring and all.

Also seems like that forward charging punch of his is going to have some serious cool down time watching the video it lasts at least 4 seconds. Which is some serious punish time. Now it could be a matter of the longer you charge the punch the longer the cool down is. So if you just toss out a quick straight punch it'll probably have a shorter cool down. Not sure if that's actually the case but it would make sense to me.

Might watch the trailer a few more dozen times and add to this lol.

Last edited:
Is it me or ooes Little Mac have Wario's Up special. at 1:34 and 1:38 he shoots up and twirls in the air, and it looks just as bad as Wario's. Maybe Wario is being reworked.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Is it me or ooes Little Mac have Wario's Up special. at 1:34 and 1:38 he shoots up and twirls in the air, and it looks just as bad as Wario's. Maybe Wario is being reworked.
I doubt they would rework Wario for something like that. Marth, Lucario, Ike, and now Little Mac all have down B counter moves. So it's unlikely.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
So here's a question regarding the charged KO punch. Do you suppose it's structured like Marth's Shieldbreaker, where you hold a button and have to unleash it when you decide to use it? Or do you think it's something you can charge in increments and store up like Samus' beam? Maybe it just charges over time when he's being left alone?

Perhaps this has been addressed already and I've just missed it somewhere, haha.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Wait a minute, that power meter isn't just for one continuous charge. He's attacking the entire time that meter is charging:

So this isn't just an extremely slow Falcon Punch, this is Little Mac's version of the Wario Waft. It likely builds from doing damage (and likely resets on death given how powerful it is) but that also explains how Bowser gets to such a high % so fast since it's not just Mega Man doing damage to him.

So it seems like we might have another Lucario on our hands: If he KOes you first, he still has the OHKO punch for your 2nd stock and puts you at a huge disadvantage (much like fighting Lucario in Brawl) but if it does indeed reset on death, killing Little Mac 1st is CRUCIAL to fighting him.

So ignore what I said about not panicking and the move being ass. The move is even better than I originally thought and we should all panic in an orderly fashion.

Last edited:

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
That makes complete sense, as I'm pretty sure that's how you build the special attack meter in Super Punch-Out!! as well.

Good eye! :)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Standard - OH KO Punch
Side - Dashing Punch (@1:12 in the video)
Up - Star Uppercut
Down - Counter
Final Smash - Giga Mac

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Wait a minute, that power meter isn't just for one continuous charge. He's attacking the entire time that meter is charging:

So this isn't just an extremely slow Falcon Punch, this is Little Mac's version of the Wario Waft. It likely builds from doing damage (and likely resets on death given how powerful it is) but that also explains how Bowser gets to such a high % so fast since it's not just Mega Man doing damage to him.

So it seems like we might have another Lucario on our hands: If he KOes you first, he still has the OHKO punch for your 2nd stock and puts you at a huge disadvantage (much like fighting Lucario in Brawl) but if it does indeed reset on death, killing Little Mac 1st is CRUCIAL to fighting him.

So ignore what I said about not panicking and the move being ***. The move is even better than I originally thought and we should all panic in an orderly fashion.
The other possibility here is that, since this is apparently similar to the meter in Super Punch-Out!!, Mac may LOSE meter when he takes damage as well. That would make it a bit trickier to store it all up and keep that guaranteed KO.

Very interested to see more information about this move!

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86

So ignore what I said about not panicking and the move being ***. The move is even better than I originally thought and we should all panic in an orderly fashion.
Well if it's a damage thing then from what we've seen in the video it takes at minimum 26% damage to get a full bar which is a fair chunk of damage. The later you're into a match the less likely it's going to become a threat because it means taking damage till Mac can use it which only further hinders him. Something of a double edge sword.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I really hope tomorrow's pic gives us info on the Star Punch, so we can find out exactly how you charge up the meter.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Here's what I gathered from the trailer:

Ground A-Moves

Jab: Rapid jab into uppercut finish.

F-Tilt: Double Straight?

Pummel: Body Blow

F-Smash: It may be the move he uses on Bowser at 1:25 in the trailer. A turn punch like SF Balrog's?

U-Tilt: Heavy uppercut? (On Samus at 1:24 in the trailer) Could possibly be U-Smash

Air A-Moves

From the two aerial moves we've seen there's a hammer punch and a laggy arm sweep in front of him. The two possibilities I see:
1: The hammer fist is a F-Air and the sweep is his N-Air
2: The sweep is his F-Air and the Hammer is his Uppercut special when used in the air.

Who knows.

And as others have said:
B: KO/Star Uppercut
Side B: Dashing straight
Up B: Drill Uppercut
Down B: CROSS COUNTAH
Final Smash Giga Mac

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
At least we know his specials.

I also feel pretty safe in assuming that being a boxer, Mac's grab game might be designed to be subpar. It makes thematic sense.
Hey if Little Mac has Dudleys back and forward throw then you have a great grab game. : D

Ill try and dissect the trailer later in Vegas frame by frame, and ill post any interesting findings.

Are you kidding me? That move was sexy as **** . It was like Ken's Shinryuken from street fighter. The fact that it can be combo'd into makes it even better. Up B isn't just for recovery, especially for a character like Mac who has moves that seamlessly chain upon hit.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Actually it reminds me more of Dudleys thunderbolt (only instead of drilling down Mac drills up). Either way its a visually appealing special that just looks so satisfying to hit.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Jab 1: 1, 2, punch
Jab 2: rapid punches:
(similar to how pit has 2 jabs)

Dash attack: running punch

Up tilt: soft uppercut
F tilt: ???
D tilt: ???

Up smash: ???
F smash:
D Smash:???

Up Special: Drill punch
F Special: some super duper long ranged punch that he has (chargeable)
D Special: counter
N Special: KO Charge/KO Punch

Up air: aerial upper cut
F air: lower cut
D air: ???
B air: ???
N air:

Morbi

Scavenger
Are you kidding me? That move was sexy as **** . It was like Ken's Shinryuken from street fighter. The fact that it can be combo'd into makes it even better. Up B isn't just for recovery, especially for a character like Mac who has moves that seamlessly chain upon hit.
Exactly, it will probably be useful in combos and potential KOs, like Link's up-special. It isn't a great recovery move, but it is great to finish up combos and keep people in the air.

Thank you for that assessment, I was slightly worried that it would be a worthless move. It is good to know that I can actually put it to good use.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Here's my analysis on the video:
1:12 - Little Mac jumps up and side b's into the ring. His side b makes him jump forward and throw an overhead punch making it a potential recovery move.
1:17 - He does a forward roll and does a 2-hit ftilt combo. His forward roll has a really fast recovery.
1:18 - Rolls forward again and does a rapid jab combo. The jab combo is done on two more characters and ends the last one with a jab finisher.
1:21 - This is obviously his pummel.
1:22 - Little Mac dashes in and uses sideb past Mega Man's charged shot. His sideb is shown to have invincibility on start-up here.
1:23 - Utilt with super armor hitting through Samus' fair.
1:24 - Fsmash with super armor hitting through Bowser's ftilt.
1:25 - Little Mac charges his B and super armors the Gyroid. He then releases a BIONIC ARRRMM! like attack.
1:28 - Little Mac's fist is one fire. This probably shows that his meter is full.
1:30 - Little Mac's counter.
1:31 - Little Mac runs under Mario's fireballs and does a dash attack.
1:32 - Forward roll to usmash (with invincibility?) to upb.
1:35 - Fair or nair followed by a failed upb recovery. Doc comments about Little Mac's poor aerials.
1:41 - Giga Mac final smash.
1:44 - Little Mac charges his b again while super armoring some Bowser jabs. He gains some meter by taking hits in super armor.
1:45 - It zooms in on the meter and we see his meter building up, the clip is sped up here. We don't know what's exactly happening off-screen, but he's possibly landing a bunch of hits on Bowser which also builds his meter. Also, Bowser's percent went from 39% to 231% while Little Mac was charging which means it probably took a lot of hits to fill up the meter and Little Mac's percent stayed the same the entire time he was charging, so that could mean he loses meter when he get's hit.
1:48 - His meter is full and his B is now a ohko punch instead of the bionic arm.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
My guesses:

Jab: Rapid punches. Ends in uppercut.
Ftilt: the 1,2 punch.
If you listen to the sound effects when these moves hit, the 1,2 punch has heavier sound effects, so both of them are most likely not Jabs.

Dash A: Ground punch done vs. Mario at 1:26.

FSmash: Dashing Upper done to Link at 1:27.
USmash: The Uppercut done to Samus at 1:17.
His smashes have super armor.

Fair: Whiffed Swing done against WFT.

Grab pummel: Dudley gut punches.

B: The chargeable straight.
Side B: Jumping downwards hook done when jumping into ring in the beginning and vs Mega Man. Projectile invincibility of some sort.
Down B: Counter.
Up B: The "Shinryuken".

FS: Giga Mac

As for the final uppercut, It might either be his B or his fsmash, it's possible his smashes are affected by the power gauge. The video is cut to the KO Upper after showing his meter charging, because when we zoom out we see MM and Bowser while LM is nowhere to be found. I think this also means Bowser isn't really at 200+% when he hits him, because that's a pretty weak reaction to a hit when at that percentage.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Here are some gifs for reference

More in here:

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Here's my analysis on the video:
1:12 - Little Mac jumps up and side b's into the ring. His side b makes him jump forward and throw an overhead punch making it a potential recovery move.
1:17 - He does a forward roll and does a 2-hit ftilt combo. His forward roll has a really fast recovery.
1:18 - Rolls forward again and does a rapid jab combo. The jab combo is done on two more characters and ends the last one with a jab finisher.
1:21 - This is obviously his pummel.
1:22 - Little Mac dashes in and uses sideb past Mega Man's charged shot. His sideb is shown to have invincibility on start-up here.
1:23 - Utilt with super armor hitting through Samus' fair.
1:24 - Fsmash with super armor hitting through Bowser's ftilt.
1:25 - Little Mac charges his B and super armors the Gyroid. He then releases a BIONIC ARRRMM! like attack.
1:28 - Little Mac's fist is one fire. This probably shows that his meter is full.
1:30 - Little Mac's counter.
1:31 - Little Mac runs under Mario's fireballs and does a dash attack.
1:32 - Forward roll to usmash (with invincibility?) to upb.
1:35 - Fair or nair followed by a failed upb recovery. Doc comments about Little Mac's poor aerials.
1:41 - Giga Mac final smash.
1:44 - Little Mac charges his b again while super armoring some Bowser jabs. He gains some meter by taking hits in super armor.
1:45 - It zooms in on the meter and we see his meter building up, the clip is sped up here. We don't know what's exactly happening off-screen, but he's possibly landing a bunch of hits on Bowser which also builds his meter. Also, Bowser's percent went from 39% to 231% while Little Mac was charging which means it probably took a lot of hits to fill up the meter and Little Mac's percent stayed the same the entire time he was charging, so that could mean he loses meter when he get's hit.
1:48 - His meter is full and his B is now a ohko punch instead of the bionic arm.
With that scene with link, i dont think he has super armor, he got hit by links up b at low percent which knocked him back. Then lil mac ran in and up smashed.
Links up b is single hit so if you get hit you can punish easily

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
It definitely looks like he's absorbing a hit with the armor though, if you look at it frame-by-frame.

EDIT: Looking at the gif, he doesn't get hit beforehand with Link's attack at all, so he's definitely absorbing a hit.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
we probably saw the scene the moment after lil mac got hit and thats why it seems like he has super armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom