• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac reveal trailer: What else did it show us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
As you all were saying before, the Boxing Ring Stage is being changed to represent Punch-Out!! instead of Smash. You know what that means? Stages aren't final and can be used to intro a character.

I can't help but think that Ridley flying in from one of the holes in Pyropshere ready to fight would be a good opening for his gameplay trailer.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
As you all were saying before, the Boxing Ring Stage is being changed to represent Punch-Out!! instead of Smash. You know what that means? Stages aren't final and can be used to intro a character.

I can't help but think that Ridley flying in from one of the holes in Pyropshere ready to fight would be a good opening for his gameplay trailer.
That... would be incredible. A first person CG intro where we just have the camera barreling down the hole and eventually emerge on the actual stage, and then cue trailer. I'd love it.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
From what I can tell:

A.) Rolls judging by the video seem to have less ending lag, hopefully this allows them to be more useful in approaches, defense, and overall flow of the game instead of being so punishable like in previous installments. I won't say it's wavedashing-lite since you can only attack after the invincibility frames, but it does seem like a better mechanic than what rolls were designated as in previous Smash games. I'm guessing it'll give a new kind of depth to the game branching away from traditional wavedashing maneuvers. For instance, waveshining won't be a thing but maybe it can be useful for a more covered approach.

B.) Dear Lord Little Mac has a lot of super armor to his attacks. He reminds me of Yoshi but with a lot more opportunities to use his armor. I have a feeling Sakurai is fixing him to play as much like a boxer as possible. Instead of just rush-down style of play, I'm going out on a limb and saying Mac's game will revolve around the super armor and fast counters opponents along with a mid-level approach game. Lots of reads and reaction time.

C.) Like Yoshi, his recovery looks AWFUL. One weak jump and then a recovery that looks even less exciting than Marth's. Hopefully this doesn't screw him over too badly.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
From what I can tell:

A.) Rolls judging by the video seem to have less ending lag, hopefully this allows them to be more useful in approaches, defensive, and overall flow of the game instead of being so punishable like in previous installments. I won't say it's wavedashing-lite since you can only attack after the invincibility frames, but it does seem like a better mechanic than what rolls were designated as in previous Smash games. I'm guessing it'll give a new kind of depth to the game branching away from traditional wavedashing maneuvers. For instance, waveshining won't be a thing but maybe it can be useful for a more covered approach.

B.) Dear Lord Little Mac has a lot of super armor to his attacks. He reminds me of Yoshi but with a lot more opportunities to use his armor. I have a feeling Sakurai is fixing him to play as much like a boxer as possible. Instead of just rush-down style of play, I'm going out on a limb and saying Mac's game will revolve around the super armor and fast counters opponents along with a mid-level approach game. Lots of reads and reaction time.

C.) Like Yoshi, his recovery looks AWFUL. One weak jump and then a recovery that looks even less exciting than Marth's. Hopefully this doesn't screw him over too badly.
I'm very happy to see the rolls be less punishable. They were essentially useless when playing against anyone of decent skill, despite it seeming like it should be a move that should be rewarded for doing in the right situation. Hopefully this will make them more practical.

From what I can tell, he's gonna be a monstrous threat on the ground and probably damn damn hard to hit at all, let alone get into the air, but once you do, that's when things will fall apart for him.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Yup, and if that's how slow it goes when the Villager rides it then his recovery game is still pretty trash =/
Yeah that's a little disappointing I don't think he'll be nearly as good as little mac, rosalina and even wii fit trainer

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
He doesn't seem to particularly excel at anything, and that's what worries me. but who knows, maybe it'll be a lot different feeling when we can actually try him out.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
The fact that the top blast zone actually blasts and doesn't send characters into the background or hitting the camera?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
The fact that the top blast zone actually blasts and doesn't send characters into the background or hitting the camera?
Hadn't noticed that D= Definitely hoping that that's just a product of it being in development still, I'd miss star KO's and the camera-hitting especially.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Well we learned that Little Mac is nearly, if not as fast as Sonic.
He's closer to captain falcon/fox, the second and 3rd fastest dashers.

(i compared videos of captain falcon and little mac running from the outer edge of the left platform to the center of battlefield, and they both took 26 frames to do so.)

Yup, and if that's how slow it goes when the Villager rides it then his recovery game is still pretty trash =/
Sakurai said that it's speed will be variable if he's riding it, so it may not be as bad as it seems.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Interesting note: This trailer has only 2 post e3 revealed veterans, both in relatively short clips, while The Rosalina trailer had post e3 revealed vets on the cgi trailer and featured a lot of them in the gameplay trailer.(hint that it could've been planned for earlier?)
This trailer also means we have seen all revealed characters on video save zelda, peach, and lucario.

Why was this moved from general discussion? It's a topic on what else besides little mac that the trailer revealed to us

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Interesting note: This trailer has only 2 post e3 revealed veterans, both in relatively short clips, while The Rosalina trailer had post e3 revealed vets on the cgi trailer and featured a lot of them in the gameplay trailer.(hint that it could've been planned for earlier?)
This trailer also means we have seen all revealed characters on video save zelda, peach, and lucario.
But it showed King Dedede, who was revealed in January to coincide with Triple Deluxe, so I don't think it was planned for earlier. It's most likely just a coincidence that it only showed 2 post-E3 vets.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
But it showed King Dedede, who was revealed in January to coincide with Triple Deluxe, so I don't think it was planned for earlier. It's most likely just a coincidence that it only showed 2 post-E3 vets.
It also didn't show Zelda and Lucario, who were both revealed after Rosalina's trailer. Not to mention that the cg trailer only had Samus, while Rosalina's had Luigi and peach, both post e3 revealed characters. It's not that hard to include a 5 second Dedede clip and a half second clip of Marth, especially considering that Dedede could've easily originally been Bowser and Marth could've been literally anyone.
Rosalina's trailer had Luigi and Olimar crawling alongside Rosalina, A clip of Mario and Luigi simultaneously being attacked by rosalina and luma, a clip of Marth and a bunch of items, and a clip of Toon link taunting with Rosalina. There's no denying that Rosalina's trailer had a far greater amount of post e3 characters, in both screen time and quantity.

tl;dr: Rosalina needed to be shown after a certain amount of characters, at least peach and luigi. Little mac could literally have been shown anytime between e3 and now with two slightly different clips and we would've been none the wiser.

Last edited:

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
I hear Doc saying Mac ain't no air fighter. And Mac whiffed pretty bad in the air. I'm guessing his aerials aren't going to be that great. Makes sense.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah I noticed it too. It looks like it has a little vertical incline to it. Also it looks bigger than in Brawl.
Here's hoping it won't be the absolute worst B up in the game. Of course it's viability as a recovery tool is what really needs to be seen.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
In the background, you can see there is a screen that focuses on random characters, like Pokemon Stadium

Edit; in the stage where bowser and mega man get served

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
It also didn't show Zelda and Lucario, who were both revealed after Rosalina's trailer.
1. Not to mention that the cg trailer only had Samus, while Rosalina's had Luigi and peach, both post e3 revealed characters.

2. It's not that hard to include a 5 second Dedede clip and a half second clip of Marth, especially considering that Dedede could've easily originally been Bowser and Marth could've been literally anyone.

3. Rosalina's trailer had Luigi and Olimar crawling alongside Rosalina.
1. So what? Of course Rosalina's had Luigi and Peach, it was referencing Mario Kart. Just having Mario, DK and Bowser racing would be odd. Little Mac's trailer was focused on Little Mac, a Punch-Out!! character. Rosalina is a Mario character, its not odd for other Mario characters to be shown.

2. I seriously doubt they would film a trailer, then replace clips in the future to show characters that have been revealed. The same could be said for Rosalina's trailer, they could've used anyone, you're reading too much into it, its a coincidence.

3. The only other character that could crawl was Pikachu. Wasn't that clip on Olimars stage? And Luigi is also a Mario character, so theres nothing odd about that.

tl;dr
Its just a coincidence. You're getting way too much out of some simple clips that Sakurai filmed with no thought.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
1. So what? Of course Rosalina's had Luigi and Peach, it was referencing Mario Kart. Just having Mario, DK and Bowser racing would be odd. Little Mac's trailer was focused on Little Mac, a Punch-Out!! character. Rosalina is a Mario character, its not odd for other Mario characters to be shown.

2. I seriously doubt they would film a trailer, then replace clips in the future to show characters that have been revealed. The same could be said for Rosalina's trailer, they could've used anyone, you're reading too much into it, its a coincidence.

3. The only other character that could crawl was Pikachu. Wasn't that clip on Olimars stage? And Luigi is also a Mario character, so theres nothing odd about that.

tl;dr
Its just a coincidence. You're getting way too much out of some simple clips that Sakurai filmed with no thought.
1. That proves my point, Rosalina's cg trailer included post e3 characters, Little Mac's didn't.

2.It was literally Dedede doing two attacks and getting dodged around and Marth getting pummeled by a grab, Like i said before, Rosalina's trailer had a lot more going for it regarding post e3 characters. Gameplay can easily be reproduced and re recorded with various character in various settings, but the cgi isn't that easily changed.

3.And? That still doesn't take away from the fact that Rosalina's trailer had far more revealed characters than little mac's.

I never said it couldn't be a coincidence, i just said it could be a hint that the trailer was possibly planned for earlier announcement. I'm not going to just dismiss that, and i don't care what your thoughts on the matter are. (Also, don't say that Sakurai filmed the clips with no thought, you don't know that so don't try to act like you do.)

Dairz

Smash Ace
1. That proves my point, Rosalina's cg trailer included post e3 characters, Little Mac's didn't.

2. Gameplay can easily be reproduced and re recorded with various character in various settings, but the cgi isn't that easily changed.

3.And? That still doesn't take away from the fact that Rosalina's trailer had far more revealed characters than little mac's.

4. (Also, don't say that Sakurai filmed the clips with no thought, you don't know that so don't try to act like you do.)
1. But it did, it had Marth and Dedede. Just because it wasn't as much as Rosalina's, doesn't mean anything.

2. But why would they do that? Why go through the trouble, when they could just record it and be done with it?

3. It doesn't matter. If the next newcomer has the most post-e3 vets, does that mean it was planned to be revealed first? Oh yeah, it totally could, b-because they could simply just, uh.. re-film with new characters? Yeah, yeah, and edit the trailer again and...

4. :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
Here's hoping it won't be the absolute worst B up in the game. Of course it's viability as a recovery tool is what really needs to be seen.
If the recovery move is the apparent straight vertical recovery... it is going to be worse than Link's (vertical attack that you can slightly move to the side), Wario's (identical, but he doesn't have Wario's other options), and Ike's (as it doesn't attain the distance necessary to recovery from the bottom). I mean, maybe if he can wall jump or something... or if his side special can be used in the air, like Ike's.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
1. But it did, it had Marth and Dedede. Just because it wasn't as much as Rosalina's, doesn't mean anything.

2. But why would they do that? Why go through the trouble, when they could just record it and be done with it?

3. It doesn't matter. If the next newcomer has the most post-e3 vets, does that mean it was planned to be revealed first? Oh yeah, it totally could, b-because they could simply just, uh.. re-film with new characters? Yeah, yeah, and edit the trailer again and...

4. :troll:
1. I was talkin bout the not gameplay cutscene beforehand. (unless Marth was helping little mac train, in that case i am the crimson banana here)

2. I personally don't know what the reasoning could be. Maybe Sakurai thought Dedede was more iconic in a wrestling wring, maybe he hates Marth, maybe he wanted link to be uppercutted on olimar's garden. Impossible to tell, really.

3.This one is kind of wat, so imma present something i forgot about until now. Rosalina's trailer was planned to go alongside The MK8 trailer reveal for her,(at least that's what it seems to entail) and that's why it was mario kart themed and a double rosalina blast of space lady. The Little Mac trailer didn't have anything going for it, and was just randomly shoved onto the beginning of the direct.
If you still think it's a coincidence, that's fine, but i think it's an interesting point if it is true.
And also i hope to see zelda and lucario and peach in the next trailer, they ain't gettin no luv.
4.:happysheep:

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
3.This one is kind of wat, so imma present something i forgot about until now. Rosalina's trailer was planned to go alongside The MK8 trailer reveal for her, hence why it was mario kart themed and a double rosalina blast of space lady. The Little Mac trailer didn't have anything going for it, and was just randomly shoved onto the beginning of the direct. If you still think it's a coincidence, that's fine, but i'm trying not to miss anything, even if it may seem to not be much in the first place.
Hm, good point. Maybe she was supposed to be shown last but they edited her trailer and replace future vets/newcomers with Luigi/Peach/Olimar/Marth and showed her first instead.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
If the recovery move is the apparent straight vertical recovery... it is going to be worse than Link's (vertical attack that you can slightly move to the side), Wario's (identical, but he doesn't have Wario's other options), and Ike's (as it doesn't attain the distance necessary to recovery from the bottom). I mean, maybe if he can wall jump or something... or if his side special can be used in the air, like Ike's.
Oh I was actually talking about Link's B Up since it's shown there to be a little more vertical, hopefully making it less trash.

Little Mac's recovery does actually seem to be the absolute worst we've seen so far. Which actually makes all the sense in the world considering how much of a monster he appears to be on the ground.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Oh I was actually talking about Link's B Up since it's shown there to be a little more vertical, hopefully making it less trash.

Little Mac's recovery does actually seem to be the absolute worst we've seen so far. Which actually makes all the sense in the world considering how much of a monster he appears to be on the ground.
I agree. I love how much thought they put into him. He (from what I see) looks like he's going to play exactly how a boxer would contend in a 4 person brawler. His jumps weren't too great either. More like hops.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I agree. I love how much thought they put into him. He (from what I see) looks like he's going to play exactly how a boxer would contend in a 4 person brawler. His jumps weren't too great either. More like hops.
Yeah, seems to me like he'll need to utilize both his jump, his B side that seems to propel forward AND his terribly limited-looking B up just to have a chance of getting back on the stage.

Morbi

Scavenger
That is great as it would keep him grounded, the opposite of Jigglypuff. She is very slow and weak on the ground, so the game promotes forcing Jigglypuff in the air; it seems like Mac will be the antithesis. If his hops are really short, you can't really rely on them for movement, thus you stay on the ground (which is where he clearly dominates).

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I know the boxing ring stage has a new look but I don't think it'll replace the one before it. I think its just gonna be random each time like how the new animal crossing stage has two different areas to fight on (city themed and town themed). Or it could work like mushroomy kingdom in brawl like when a Smash bros song is playing you'll have the smash boxing ring and when a Punch Out song is playing you'll have the punch out boxing ring.

To put it simply: Sometimes you'll fight on the smash boxing ring and other times you'll fight on the punch out boxing ring.

Morbi

Scavenger
I know the boxing ring stage has a new look but I don't think it'll replace the one before it. I think its just gonna be random each time like how the new animal crossing stage has two different areas to fight on (city themed and town themed). Or it could work like mushroomy kingdom in brawl like when a Smash bros song is playing you'll have the smash boxing ring and when a Punch Out song is playing you'll have the punch out boxing ring.

To put it simply: Sometimes you'll fight on the smash boxing ring and other times you'll fight on the punch out boxing ring.
I don't necessary know about that, it seems like an entirely pointless gimmick as it doesn't drastically alter anything. I mean, the stage is now designated as a Punch Out stage, and it is going to be Mac's home stage. So I don't know why they would keep the preliminary design that was only present so that they could reveal the stage early without blatantly revealing Little Mac (obviously they alluded to it, but many were skeptical, so it worked).

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
That is great as it would keep him grounded, the opposite of Jigglypuff. She is very slow and weak on the ground, so the game promotes forcing Jigglypuff in the air; it seems like Mac will be the antithesis. If his hops are really short, you can't really rely on them for movement, thus you stay on the ground (which is where he clearly dominates).
Mhm. I really love how unique they're making him feel. Well, from what we've seen so far.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that's probably the case. Kinda hope we have a choice though.
I really hope they make it so you can hold down a button to make the stage load up with a different skin. It could be kind of like Mushroomy Kingdom...only less bad.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
That failure to grab the ledge didn't look different from Brawl to me; Little Mac really wasn't that close. We also are getting a look at the in-battle HUD now, and it seems to be similar to Brawl's but a bit fancier looking. I haven't really picked anything else out at this point; I'm not sure there's a lot to take away from this fairly small amount of gameplay that isn't Little Mac relaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom