• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

LF2K

Floor Diver
I was pre-Brawl Mac supporter. I was pretty crushed when he was just an assist trophy. But if he's playable, no doubt they'll use his Wii look.

Nintendo's always flip-flopped on Mac's identity in Super Punch-Out. They've said it's Mac who got a haircut and separated from Doc Louis, while they've said it's an different person. But originally, they planned to have his NES look.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
yea I was pretty crushed too when he was deconfirmed back then as well =( but I was looking up stuff about super punch out and I found that beta stuff interesting, I mean I wonder why they changed his design....however the whole haircut, going solo route seems like a lazy attempt to convince people its little mac IMO lol

LF2K

Floor Diver
I just remembered! There was one character who did use the ropes as springs.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was a Pre-Brawl Mac supporter.
I learned about him then, and played his games, and I found him interesting. He climbed up to my top 5 most wanted quite quickly.

I was really sad to see him become an Assist Trophy then.. I remember I started hopelessly rooting for SNES Little Mac to get in at least, since he was, at the time, the most recent design.

Now there's absolutely no contest in to which is the "real" Little Mac design.

I too find it odd how Nintendo suddenly says Snes Mac is THE Little Mac.
To be honest, I don't even think it's a boxing ring where he fights in. I mean, with kung-fu fighters, wrestlers, clowns, etc all around, it looks like a ring for anything goes martial arts rather than just boxing.

Also, interestinig find about the BETA SPO protagonist. :O Would've preferred them going with that instead.

LF2K

Floor Diver
The SNES manual says the W.V.B.A has no "illegal" moves. Guess Mac's a clean fighter.

D

Deleted member

Well, it was after the fight.

Aside from that, who the Hell would challenge an 800 lb ape that beat the defending champion? :troll:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As an afterthought, I want to see a reveal trailer that starts off with Kirby vs. Dedede fight on the Ring stage, in vein to the original boss fight of Kirby's Dreamland, only for Kirby to be defeated and for the screen to pan out to Little Mac who then proceeds to beat up Dedede in actual gameplay footage.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
As an afterthought, I want to see a reveal trailer that starts off with Kirby vs. Dedede fight on the Ring stage, in vein to the original boss fight of Kirby's Dreamland, only for Kirby to be defeated and for the screen to pan out to Little Mac who then proceeds to beat up Dedede in actual gameplay footage.
Fantastic idea. That almost seems likely even.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
well Dedede is in and they didn't show a single pic of him in the boxing ring stage so its DEFINITELY not a kirby stage for those few who thought thats what it was.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
By the look of it the ring stage is very similar to the ring stage me and my friends made in stage builder. You can a flat platform with some lower hanging edges (like where a cornerman would be and put springs on the edges of the platform (symbolizing the ropes). This had some interesting tricks with it.

1. The "ropes" allowed heavier opponents to attack higher jumping enemies.
2. The "ropes" prevented players from sliding off the edge so you had to knock them up to K.O. them.
3 The "ropes" kept moving items like shells or excitebike riders in play longer.
4. The cornerman area was small but if a valuable item landed there you had to risk being on the edge to get it.

I believe I posted a picture of the one I made ages ago in one of my blogs. Anyways you should make one yourself and try it out.

LF2K

Floor Diver
A recent "leak" stated than Doc Louis will give his typical tips to Mac on the other fighters. It's this is true, it'd be hilarious.

D

Deleted member

A recent "leak" stated than Doc Louis will give his typical tips to Mac on the other fighters. It's this is true, it'd be hilarious.
If it's supposed to be something like Snake's codec conversations in Brawl and it happens on the boxing stage, then I would welcome this with open arms! This needs to happen.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
How do we know that this is a boxing ring and not a wrestling ring?
After all, Springboard Attacks off of a rope are common in wrestling. And Sakurai threw in a lariat joke on Miiverse.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
How do we know that this is a boxing ring and not a wrestling ring?
After all, Springboard Attacks off of a rope are common in wrestling. And Sakurai threw in a lariat joke on Miiverse.
Because Boxing rings have 4 ropes, while wrestling rings only have 3.
He probably mentioned it because you can't use a boxing move with the ropes really. The only moves you could make are wrestling moves, thus a lariat.

And if there's a boxing stage, but no Little Mac, you could see how little sense that would make.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I found a thing.

/RevivesThread

D

Deleted member

does the fact that punchout is in the virtual console games for the wii U mean anything for little mac to be in more likely?
Hmm… I don't know to be honest. I know that EarthBound getting on the Virtual Console definitely helps Ness out, however. Maybe both Punch Out!! games getting on the VC raises his chances a little bit.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think more than it being on the VC.. being always one of the first titles to grace the VC (Wii, 3DS, and Wii U) is a good sign that Nintendo holds it in high regard.

And in those early days, it's usually on the top 5-10 most downloaded games too.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I think the 2009 game boosts Mac's chance of making it in very high. Back with Brawl, Punch-Out!! was still dormant. 14 inactive years and we still got him as an AT. That was lucky!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I've been thinking about Mac's inclusion for a while, and I think he'd be a character I'd main, or at least play every once in a while.

If it's still possible, add me to the supporter's list.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The thing about the boxing stage to me, is it's an easy stage to plauy around with using images until it's officially named and given a true purpose.

For instance: If Sakurai straight up called it by name (Which in my opinion is probably Smash Circuit) it would be immediately tied to Punch-Out!! and making wrestling jokes would make less sense.

But Sakurai still hasn't even told us the name of one of the first revealed stages, because he's too smart for that.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Found something in my Nintendo research that you guys might find interesting (source from Ebay here, here, and here)

They're 1989 Topps cards. I only posted the ones with Little Mac in them, though. There are four more here if you wanna look. I'd buy em if I was a bigger Punch Out!! fan.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Was Glass Joe really that tall? Or did he have a steroid scandal back in the '80s?

amsams

Smash Rookie
So does anyone think that Doc Louis should take Pokemon Trainer's aesthetic role of supporting Mac from the back of the main platform on each stage? He could shake his head in disappointment when Little Mac gets beat up, and cheer Mac on when he lands successful blows. He could even whip out the occasional chocolate bar and take a bite out of it. He could shout out, "Take it to 'em, Mac Baby! Keep on it!" when comboing an opponent, and "Finish 'em, Mac!" when an opponent has critical damage. As long as Doc doesn't get too annoying, this could be a cool addition to Little Mac's character.

LF2K

Floor Diver
I think it would be hilarious. And what's a boxer without his trusty cornerman?

And I think they would even go the extra mile by having Doc go ":eek:" if a chocolate bar fell out of a Party Ball.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Punch-Out Wii is a Nintendo Select in the US only. Kinda strange, really... especially considering Brawl is a Nintendo Select in Europe.

Top Bottom