• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lloyd Irving, badass DUAL wielder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I like Lloyd better though. I've got nothing against Pac-man or anyone whoy likes/supports him, I just personally think Lloyd would be a more interesting choice.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, he would, and anyone whose played Tales of Symphonia in its entirety would probably agree, but sadly that would be the minority here.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Eh, lloyd< Pac-Man in my defense. And Pac still is more nostalgic and world-wide popular. And for the people who say his moveset is bare, look at every game he has instead of just the original. Pacman world series and Pacman 2. Hammer, grappling hook, butt-bounce, rev-roll, shall I continue?
My problem with Pac is that I can't really find anything about him that make me excited about him as a fighter. I admit, he has variety of moves, but I can't still see how he'd play like in means of a character and playstyle, and what would make him an interesting choice as a fighter. And if anything, recognition and popularity aren't the factors I'm looking for when checking if someone works in a fighting field. Lloyd also is much cooler to me (despite being a not very bright-minded swordsman).

In any case, as a character Pac doesn't really interest me as a fighter candidate for Smash. Which is why I prefer Lloyd over him, pretty much for reasons above.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I disagree, it's far from uninteresting.
But on the other hand, it makes me question what does it actually mean if we're having one of the directors from the series working on SSB4. Maybe nothing at all.

I can promise though, Tales Of ain't that of a shallow series if given a chance. I remember hating ToS so much but after trying it out, I was quite feeling bad for giving it so much flak for nothing. And I'm even trying my hands of ToAbyss and ToPhantasia.

Tales Of-series though, I'd prefer it as a second fiddle coming after Pac-Man, as much as I find the said character an uninteresting fighter.
(-l´l);

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
If they made a worthy successor to Tales of Symphonia for the Wii U...Ohhhhh man. I'm going to be giving Tales of Symphonia 2 another shot but anyways....
His weapon of choice would be the Material Blades. He also has several costumes in game that could be used as skins/alternate costumes suggested by other forumers.

Projected moveset for Lloyd Irving:

B: Demon Fang
B>: Beast (Knocks opponents down. Imagine the state of the character after Snake grabs and chokes them)
B^: Tempest
Bv: Tiger Blade

F-Smash: Sonic Thrust
Aerial V: Rising Falcon
Button Mash A: Sword Rain

Final Smash: Falcon's Crest

Everything else: Probably generic sword attacks.

Lloyd could also use a combo-cancel mechanic to use skills such as Tempest Beast, Sword Rain Alpha, Demonic Thrust etc. (By either cancelling the last hit in moves such as Tempest and Sword Rain, or by cancelling the last 20 frames for Demon Fang)

For example, if you want to use Tempest Beast you would have to first use Tempest, then cancel the last hit of Tempest and immediately follow up with Beast. This would allow Lloyd to have the following moves in addition to everything else. (These are all legitimate attacks in Tales of Symphonia)

Demonic Chaos: Demon Fang x3. Cancel the last 20 frames of the first two Demon Fangs.

Sword Rain Alpha: Sword Rain + Aerial Up. Cancel the last hit of Sword Rain and follow up with Aerial Up.

Sword Rain Beta: Sword Rain + Aerial Up + Aerial Neutral. Cancel the last hit of Sword Rain and follow up with Aerial Up and Aerial Neutral.

Sword Rain Tempest: Sword Rain + Tempest. Cancel the last hit of Sword Rain and follow up with Tempest.

Demonic Thrust: Demon Fang + Sonic Thrust. Cancel the last 20 frames of Demon Fang and follow up with Sonic Thrust.

Demonic Tiger Blade: Demon Fang + Tiger Blade. Cancel the last 20 frames of Demon Fang and follow up with Tiger Blade.

Tempest Thrust: Tempest + Sonic Thrust. Cancel the last hit of Tempest and follow up with Sonic Thrust.

Tempest Beast: Tempest + Beast. Cancel the last hit of Tempest and follow up with Beast.

Raining Tiger Blade: Sword Rain + Tiger Blade. Cancel the last hit of Sword Rain and follow up with Tiger Blade.

Beast Sword Rain: Sword Rain + Beast. Cancel the last hit of Sword Rain and follow up with Beast.

And if we wanted to be even more intricate with his combos and stay true to the Tales of Symphonia fighting style, Lloyd is able to combo two level one artes with a level two arte followed by a level three arte. With that his combo potential increases a lot though it would most likely be ridiculously OP.

-------------------------------------------------
If stickers were to return and be used in the same way as in SSE (For whatever story mode/adventure mode they have planned) Lloyd would also be able to access Rising Phoenix (Fire element of Rising Falcon), Blazing Tempest (Fire element of Tempest), Lightning Thrust (Lightning element of Sonic Thrust), and Lightning Tiger (Lightning element of Tiger Blade) by giving him elements such as Fire, Lightning, or Earth.

-------------------------------------------------

Another possible idea for Lloyd's moveset would be to choose between Technical vs Strike-type like in Tales of Symphonia. (This could be done upon character select)
In this case only his 4 Specials and F-Smash would be changed while gaining access to one new skill. He would also lose most of the moves listed in the first suggestion though.

S-Type:
B: Fierce Demon Fang (Access to Grave Blade upon attaching Earth-element sticker)
B>: Hunting Beast (Causes knock down)
B^: Psi Tempest
Bv: Heavy Tiger Blade (Causes knock down)
F-Smash: Super Sonic Thrust

Demonic Chaos: Fierce Demon Fang cancelled into Hunting Beast. Remove Beast animation.
Sonic Sword Rain

T-Type:
B: Double Demon Fang
B>: Raging Beast (Causes knock down)
B^: Omega Tempest
Bv: Tiger Rage (Causes knock down)
F-Smash: Hurricane Thrust (Allows for short wind element AOE upon impact)

Demonic Chaos: Cancel the second half of Double Demon Fang and follow up with Double Demon Fang.
Sword Rain Alpha
Sword Rain Beta

Personally I like the first idea the best myself.
For anyone who hasn't played Tales or is not familiar with Lloyd and would like to know more about his moveset you can refer to the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM_t7Gg1p7U

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
^

Damn, these all are just amazing ideas. Very much incharacter and how I'd see him in Smash (the first idea though seems more implementable to Smash Bros's design and engine.)

You know, we could use a slight better OP with these things being updated and all. Oh how I'd wish to make a new topic for Lloyd, but I dunno if I can. (-=^0);

kikaru

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Thanks! And indeed, I would love to facilitate more conversations about Lloyd Irving and the Tales series in general. Would it be too much to ask for a new thread/the closure of this one? If it is then I'll throw out some more ideas.

These are a few of my favorite songs/themes in Tales of Symphonia. These, along with others, would definitely make for some good battle music.

Fatalize: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQApJo4TBeY
Fighting of the Spirit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxtPCpPUCdw
Like a Glint of Light: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFWadiZkA_8&list=PLBDBC3BB9B38DB94F&index=12
Kratos Battle Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVkk8SQDB-o&list=PLBDBC3BB9B38DB94F

Possible stages could be inside the Tower of Salvation (dat atmosphere...) in front of the Eternal Sword and the area where the final boss fight occurs.

Another stage could be in front of the Seal at Martel Temple where the journey started. This stage could be similar to Spear Pillar where instead of Legendary Pokemon causing havoc on the map we could see the appearance of Summon Spirits casting their signature moves on the stage. Though Maxwell would probably make people rage quit.

Wouldn't it also be cool to see the Meltokio Colosseum act like the arenas in Fire Emblem on some type of Story/Adventure mode or be used in some event? If Super Smash did implement some type of level-up system (whether or not it is going to be exclusive to one console) having arenas like in Fire Emblem would be perfect. (They could all have different 'skins' such as Pokemon Arean, Meltokio Colosseum, etc.)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Thanks! And indeed, I would love to facilitate more conversations about Lloyd Irving and the Tales series in general. Would it be too much to ask for a new thread/the closure of this one? If it is then I'll throw out some more ideas.

These are a few of my favorite songs/themes in Tales of Symphonia. These, along with others, would definitely make for some good battle music.

Fatalize: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQApJo4TBeY
Fighting of the Spirit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxtPCpPUCdw
Like a Glint of Light: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFWadiZkA_8&list=PLBDBC3BB9B38DB94F&index=12
Kratos Battle Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVkk8SQDB-o&list=PLBDBC3BB9B38DB94F

Possible stages could be inside the Tower of Salvation (dat atmosphere...) in front of the Eternal Sword and the area where the final boss fight occurs.

Another stage could be in front of the Seal at Martel Temple where the journey started. This stage could be similar to Spear Pillar where instead of Legendary Pokemon causing havoc on the map we could see the appearance of Summon Spirits casting their signature moves on the stage. Though Maxwell would probably make people rage quit.

Wouldn't it also be cool to see the Meltokio Colosseum act like the arenas in Fire Emblem on some type of Story/Adventure mode or be used in some event? If Super Smash did implement some type of level-up system (whether or not it is going to be exclusive to one console) having arenas like in Fire Emblem would be perfect. (They could all have different 'skins' such as Pokemon Arean, Meltokio Colosseum, etc.)
These all are such an amazing ideas! I'm at end of ToS now so I can really envision your ideas here. I'd go with Tower of Salvation as the main stage- though for some reason I started to think it as a moving stage at first where you'd ascend higher and higher to skies as the tower keeps on reaching outer space.

The OP hasn't even visited SmashBoards since last November, so maybe it might not REALLY hurt to make new support topic. At least one that would hopefully tell more informatively about Lloyd and not make him feel like an obscure, uninteresting and redundant character for (second) Namco-rep spot.

kikaru

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Nice! Having a moving stage inside the tower would also be pretty fancy too as it ascends towards the heavens, Welgaia, or even Vinheim. (Or something like that)

Here's actually something that would be amazing to implement as well:

When performing a Final Smash each character should get a character cut-in like in this video (Spoils each character's Mystic Artes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3he29gNMgEI

Also how are you liking ToS so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom