• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Loading GeckoOS from the SD card on a non-hacked Wii?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Just as the topic title asks, is it possible to load GeckoOS (or somehow load Brawl with codes) from the SD card on a non-hacked Wii that is updated to 4.0+?

If this is possible, then I have an idea for a new version of Brawl that I think could enhance the competitive scene greatly and could really catch on.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Just as the topic title asks, is it possible to load GeckoOS (or somehow load Brawl with codes) from the SD card on a non-hacked Wii that is updated to 4.0+?
I dont know if we're allowed to talk about the specifics, but the answer to your question is an emphatic YESZ! Unless your Wii has a serial number of LU64 or higher... :/

If this is possible, then I have an idea for a new version of Brawl that I think could enhance the competitive scene greatly and could really catch on.
like this? http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226211

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Can someone do me a favor? If you could, send me a PM with exactly what I need to include on my SD card in order to get so-called "Virgin Wiis" of all versions to be able to load Brawl codes. I would be eternally grateful.

Kuga

Smash Journeyman
I sent a PM more about getting it safely installed on an LU64 Wii so you could use GeckOS safely.... Although I might test loading GeckOS from a 4.0+ Wii using Bannerbomb soon.....
So alex,you can send me that PM too?
My friend want to Play B+ a long time ago >.<.
Thanks so much.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
iirc, the newest BaNNerBomB beta fixes direct-Gecko compatibility. I haven't tried it myself though...

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Oh anyway, how to install HBC and play Brawl+ on an LU64 Wii (this should work fine):

http://www.mediafire.com/?jy4nnmmw0mj

Download that and extract it to an EMPTY SD card.

Now, on your Wii, without your SD card in, go to Wii, Data Management, Channels, SD card and then insert your SD card. After verifying that you did not buy the software (I'm not selling it lol), it gives you a bunch of options.

IF YOU HAVE LU64, DO NOT CHOOSE ANY BUT INSTALLING HBC/HOMEBREW. INSTALLING THE IOS WILL DEFINITELY BRICK YOUR WII.

Anyway, this will just install the channel if you just choose to install HBC and now you have it. Go into the Homebrew channel and load GeckOS, it has the default codes set to offline Brawl+. If you want online, rename the offline code one to anything and rename the online one to RSBE01.gct

Enjoy :)

Kuga

Smash Journeyman
Just to confirm.This is for Wii who is updated to 4.0 right?

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Yes. You must update to get the SD card menu, so this is only for Wii 4.0.

Thanks, illinialex. Could you test it out, though? A vid would be nice. I want to make 100% sure that this works.

Wavedash Master

Smash Journeyman

On a side note, what are these ideas you speak of? I'm curious.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Thanks for all the PMs and all the help. But I have a quick concern: Is there any way to load Brawl codes via the SD card quickly and without having to install anything on the Wii?

On a side note, what are these ideas you speak of? I'm curious.
Well, I'll probably make a post about it soon after I ask the SBR for their input/advice (assuming they think this is even possible or a good idea). But this mostly banks on how easy it is for a TO to plug an SD card into a "virgin" Wii, load the codes, then take the SD card to the next Wii to do the same.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Unless I read the FAQ wrong, that requires the HBC to be installed or something. I'm talking about plugging an SD card into a "virgin" Wii of any version (that is updated to 4.0) and immediately loading Brawl with codes on the SD card. No installation or anything. Is that possible via Bootmii?

Usagi

Smash Rookie
As of now, you at least have to install the Homebrew channel on the Wii by having the boot file on the SD card, but you can still have a "virgin Wii" have the codes usable withing a minute or two. Afterward, the Wii user may delete the HBC and have a "virgin Wii" agian, and if he/she chooses to keep it, the channel won't do anything without the SD card inserted that has codes/USB Gecko on it.

Yay first post! XD

Anyway, hope this helps.

WeirdoZ Inc.

Smash Apprentice
Shouldn't you just be able to use BannerBomb to load up Gecko?

As far as I understand, it will run any dol or elf file, it doesn't need Homebrew Channel or Bootmii or anything. You just put the BannerBomb and a homebrew app on an SD card(in Gecko's case, the appropriate extra files as well), run the Bomb and BAM, instant homebrew, no installs.

@Dokutayuu: The bomb won't work for everyone, there is info about it on the appropriate website.

Bigman2491

Smash Rookie
Shouldn't you just be able to use BannerBomb to load up Gecko?

As far as I understand, it will run any dol or elf file, it doesn't need Homebrew Channel or Bootmii or anything. You just put the BannerBomb and a homebrew app on an SD card(in Gecko's case, the appropriate extra files as well), run the Bomb and BAM, instant homebrew, no installs.

@Dokutayuu: The bomb won't work for everyone, there is info about it on the appropriate website.
No its not that actually. I was going to do this so I don't need to bring my wii over to everyone's house just to play Brawl+. So I tried launching it from both my wii that I modded using Bannerbomb and another wii that I modded using bannerbomb AFTER I tried launching GeckOS through bannerbomb. You get an error message when you launch a game.

WeirdoZ Inc.

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I just tested it and you're right. It should in theory work, but it is being a little funny atm. I even tested it using Loadmii to load Gecko and I got the same thing.

Hopefully in a future version of Gecko or BannerBomb (whichever one is the problem, my guess is Gecko) this issue will be fixed.

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
I tried it the day bannerbomb was out, with same results.

The day it's finally possible to boot B+ directly, many more people will be encouraged to test it out.

the newest BaNNerBomB beta fixes direct-Gecko compatibility
Where is that info?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Tomorrow I am gonna get on IRC and see what I can dig up about GeckoOS failing.
I believe it has to do with BannerBomb doing something strange with disc access.

Top Bottom