• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lock Please

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Turns out it was just kirby's dair that canceled the footstool-tumbling animation caused by DK. Mods can lock this now. Thanks to the people that explained it.

Finally, an AT that all characters can use. It could potentially save characters with tether-only recoveries such as Olimar or Ivysaur. You all have probably come across this but didn't understand what happened, or thought it was some freak accident. I'm still unsure of the reason behind this, but I think it has something to do with a whiffed footstool jump, and the engine freaks and gives you a boosted jump.

Basically, you use your 2nd jump (still unsure with MK and Pit) near an opponent, and you are sent a good distance upwards. I can't really describe it, but that's why I made videos.

Drafting in racecars is when you tailgate another car, which decreases air resistance, which makes you go faster, and then you slingshot passed the car (this is also in Mario Kart). I call this AT "drafting" because second jumping near an opponent causes you to slingshot upwards.

It's up to you guys to test this out and decide if it's useful. Like I said, this is mainly useful for Olimar when someone is trying to edgehog him.

Here are the videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NhHa6nDX-8 <---- Watch Ness and Lucas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdfYp-cJpA <---- Watch DK

I know these are matches from teams, but I have done this in a singles match once with Lucas and once with Snake.

Also, I can't completely remember, but I think I saw Ice Climbers do this once without anyone near them, possibly using Nana to Draft.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Besides, at 0:22 on the first video, you can clearly see Lucas footstool Ganon, and Lucas didn't go near the distance he did when he drafted pikachu.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I watched em..

It appears you are just footstooling on someone who is barely out of range. Hardly a new AT, not really worth trying unless you are sure you are going to die. If you are in range just use the Up-b

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Like I said, useful for Olimar when someone is edgehogging him.

AND IT'S NOT A FOOTSTOOL BECAUSE THEY GO MUCH HIGHER. I ALREADY SAID THIS.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whether it's an AT or not, I don't think it'd be too useful for Olimar. Upb already gives him enough momentum(similiar to yoshi) to get onto the stage if he's within reach of "drafting" near his opponent that's edgehogging.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Ok, then it's a ledge-footstool
Watch the 2nd vid.

Whether it's an AT or not, I don't think it'd be too useful for Olimar. Upb already gives him enough momentum(similiar to yoshi) to get onto the stage if he's within reach of "drafting" near his opponent that's edgehogging.
So then we should just forget about Drafting and let Ivysaur kill himself.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Please, please don't become a second wtZzz and get all defensive over your tactic.

I will say it is a good move to have in an arsenal, especially if you are using a character that has a limited recovery like you said.

Not a bad find =)

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I just don't get why people are too lazy to watch the second vid, or not read the whole first post. If someone came in here and gave me reasons why this is pointless then I wouldn't go all wtZzz, lol.

Perfect example above

Steel Knight

Smash Rookie
Don't know what to make of the videos, really...The first one is Ness footstooling Pikachu while he hangs on a ledge, and the second one is DK jumping very high while footstooling.

Drafting in racecars is when you tailgate another car, which decreases air resistance, which makes you go faster, and then you slingshot passed the car (this is also in Mario Kart). I call this AT "drafting" because second jumping near an opponent causes you to slingshot upwards.
I do believe the term used by most racers is "slipstream boost".

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Pretty sure this is a footstool jump. I assume that they jump higher because:

A. They are already moving upward from the second jump so your essentially keeping momentum.

B. This is done after you have used your 2nd jump, it's possible that they jump higher on a footstool if all jumps have been used (this would have to be tested because I am not sure this is why).

I think A is more likely than B though.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Pretty sure this is a footstool jump. I assume that they jump higher because:

A. They are already moving upward from the second jump so your essentially keeping momentum.

B. This is done after you have used your 2nd jump, it's possible that they jump higher on a footstool if all jumps have been used (this would have to be tested because I am not sure this is why).

I think A is more likely than B though.
Example A would make sense, but how come in the 2nd vid Kirby didn't go into that tumbling animation that happens when you get footstooled?

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, useful for Olimar when someone is edgehogging him.

AND IT'S NOT A FOOTSTOOL BECAUSE THEY GO MUCH HIGHER. I ALREADY SAID THIS.
The only reason they go higher is because your footstool becomes weaker the more you use it before touching the ground. Try your technique, land, and then footstool jump somebody.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Don't know what to make of the videos, really...The first one is Ness footstooling Pikachu while he hangs on a ledge, and the second one is DK jumping very high while footstooling.
The first video looks like a footstool, ok. But, if you see (at 0:22) Lucas "draft" Pikachu, he lands on Ganondorf and footstools him. He doesn't go nearly as high as when he "drafted" pikachu.

And you say the DK footstooled in the 2nd vid. If that was true then how come Kirby didn't go into the tumbling animation?

BBQ°

Smash Champion
The only reason they go higher is because your footstool becomes weaker the more you use it before touching the ground. Try your technique, land, and then footstool jump somebody.
Ok, that would make sense, but how can you explain the second video, where no footstooling occured. If it was a footstool, kirby would have gone into the tumbling animation.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
This was already known. It's a footstool, if you footstool somebody while there on the ledge or in an attack animation you just jump again and they dont tumble. Nothing new here at all, sorry.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
hmm it doesn't look like a footstool from the second vid, cause the opponent (if i remember Kirby) doesn't start falling in the weird footstool animation

but it sure acts like one

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I'm I the only that's noticed this has happened before?

once I was in the middle of nowhere, no charecters near me, and I just jumped and got this huge momentum boost. Then it happened alot more aswell, but the other times there wher charecters. I don't know if it was a footstoll with the animation canceled out or what, but this was not a normal footstool.

The one time it happened without charecters makes me think it has something to do with the jump, but all the other time it happened fit perfectly with what Megavitamins said.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
What are you talking about? I just watched both of them, my above post is the explanation.

reading comprehension, Mirite?
>.<

Sorry, a lot of people on here post like the same thing as you, and when I read the first half of your post I got pissed and didn't pay attention to this part

or in an attack animation you just jump again and they dont tumble

BBQ°

Smash Champion

once I was in the middle of nowhere, no charecters near me, and I just jumped and got this huge momentum boost. Then it happened alot more aswell, but the other times there wher charecters. I don't know if it was a footstoll with the animation canceled out or what, but this was not a normal footstool.

The one time it happened without charecters makes me think it has something to do with the jump, but all the other time it happened fit perfectly with what Megavitamins said.
Do you remember what character you were using when you did it by yourself?

Fino

Smash Master
it's a footstool. I'm sorry. I watched both videos and read everyone input, so don't try saying that again.
The reason the footstool on ganon is a LOT shorter is because if you footstool multiple times in a row it severely decreases. Here's a video I found demonstrating this and another mentioned (that momentum transferred between the jump of the kirby to the footstool of the DK). http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...ple+footstool&ei=qvGVSPOkBoiE4QLRysmLBQ&hl=en
In other words you COULD say that footstooling suffers from Diminishing returns (and resets when you touch the ground).

In my opinion, the reason the footstooling animation didn't occur on the kirby is possibly because his dair animation canceled the falling animation from the footstool. Couldn't tell you, but that is what I think.

And ledge footstools have been around forever :p

~Fino

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
it's a footstool. I'm sorry. I watched both videos and read everyone input, so don't try saying that again.
The reason the footstool on ganon is a LOT shorter is because if you footstool multiple times in a row it severely decreases. Here's a video I found demonstrating this and another mentioned (that momentum transferred between the jump of the kirby to the footstool of the DK). http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...ple+footstool&ei=qvGVSPOkBoiE4QLRysmLBQ&hl=en
In other words you COULD say that footstooling suffers from Diminishing returns (and resets when you touch the ground).

In my opinion, the reason the footstooling animation didn't occur on the kirby is possibly because his dair animation canceled the falling animation from the footstool. Couldn't tell you, but that is what I think.

And ledge footstools have been around forever :p

~Fino
(Edit: QFT)

WAIT A MINUTE. I LOVE FOOTSTOOL, so I'm gonna help you guys out and tell you exactly what happens.

When you Footstool and opponent, they only go into tumble frames IF they aren't doing any other action. You might not notice this because most times when you try to footstool an opponent, and they attack, you'll get hit instead of footstool. It's best shown with attacks that have a long animation, like Kirby's Dair (which is why he didn't get tumbled). You can still footstool off on an air-dodging opponent, but they won't get tumbled, because the footstool won't interrupt the air-dodge animation.

In a similar manner, you don't get tumbled while hanging from the ledge, but you can still be footstooled. THIS CAN BE DONE BEFORE OR AFTER YOUR SECOND JUMP.

And, I believe you're all underestimating the range of the Footstool 'hitbox'.

BTW, this is a better option for tether recoveries that are close, then using their UpB to get a small boost, and being open. Level 9 computers do it all the time.

Enjoy.

Binx

Smash Master
Dude its a ledge footstool I've been doing these with sonic since aftermath taught it to me like a week after the game released.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
(Edit: QFT)

WAIT A MINUTE. I LOVE FOOTSTOOL, so I'm gonna help you guys out and tell you exactly what happens.

When you Footstool and opponent, they only go into tumble frames IF they aren't doing any other action. You might not notice this because most times when you try to footstool an opponent, and they attack, you'll get hit instead of footstool. It's best shown with attacks that have a long animation, like Kirby's Dair (which is why he didn't get tumbled). You can still footstool off on an air-dodging opponent, but they won't get tumbled, because the footstool won't interrupt the air-dodge animation.

In a similar manner, you don't get tumbled while hanging from the ledge, but you can still be footstooled. THIS CAN BE DONE BEFORE OR AFTER YOUR SECOND JUMP.

And, I believe you're all underestimating the range of the Footstool 'hitbox'.

BTW, this is a better option for tether recoveries that are close, then using their UpB to get a small boost, and being open. Level 9 computers do it all the time.

Enjoy.
Don't forget the fact that you can footstool a shielded opponent =D

They don't fall though D=

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Before it closes, don't feel bad BBQ. It was an earnest try, and you listened. Nothing wrong with trying to progress the metagame etc etc.

You were cool about it, thats all that matters.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Thanks, I'm just a little iffy on what this guy said

Top Bottom