• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
So you debunked a ridiculous claim and replaced it with another ridiculous claim? Lots of low tiers are really easy to learn. Just because they get ***** doesn't mean they are harder to play, that's just a character limit, and if you are playing against a good player who mains a top tier, it doesn't matter how good you are, you will most likely lose.

Also, your example with ganon is lol worthy. Ganon has 0 options to punish anything ever lol! Ok well obviously that's a bit exaggerated, but my point is that less options = easier to learn doesn't it? With a character like ganon you can't even get that creative cause you're gonna get wrecked by a good player anyways.

Crow!

Smash Lord
@ OP: Who are you arguing with? Learning low tier characters well enough to win with them is harder than doing the same with higher tiered characters by definition. Whoever says otherwise is probably just trolling.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I don't think any character is easier to learn over another. Tiers have nothing to do with it. Every character is essentially different, as is every player trying to use said character, so the amount of difficulty it takes to truly master a character will always vary.

I could easily say that numerous people find it harder to learn Fox than MK. You could easily say, in general, MK is harder to learn. That's generalizing. Everyone is different.

Plus, what does it matter? No one gives two ****s how hard a character is as long as they like playing as the character and can do well. Whether it be with MK, Olimar, Luigi or Ganon. Difficulty in learning a character will always vary (even if one character may possess the ability to be easier to learn, but you can't really measure that anyways).

EDIT: Though, obviously, ones that are higher on the tiers are there for a reason. Low-tier characters may not be easier to learn to play as, but using them against high-tier characters is certainly harder.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think high tiers are harder to learn and be good with. I think the majority of low tier players are just bad.

PZ

Smash Lord
I think high tiers are harder to learn and be good with. I think the majority of low tier players are just bad.
No not really since if 1 didnt play melee it wouldnt be harder for a melee pro to take the throne. Low tier players arent just bad. They're using who they love. High tier mains only use them to win most the time. Dropping your favorite character for mk is a big example for this. Seeing ppl leave their character just because your character sucks doesnt mean you need to choose a better character to make yourself better. If you truly love the character stick to it. If you dont care who you use go ahead and use mk, falco, diddy, or snake. You really dont have much to do with them but you can improve. I personally suck with mk and snake im pretty decent with but I dont use either 1 if I want to win a ladder match. I use yoshi cuz hes my favorite character online.(though getting ***** by my on mistakes like side b, the footstool that ***** basically all mario characters lulz, miss DI, and regular sds) Even though yoshi is a low tier I still use him cuz hes fun to me. Being better than your opponent by a lot is boring make more even or challenging for yourself.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
No not really since if 1 didnt play melee it wouldnt be harder for a melee pro to take the throne. Low tier players arent just bad. They're using who they love. High tier mains only use them to win most the time. Dropping your favorite character for mk is a big example for this. Seeing ppl leave their character just because your character sucks doesnt mean you need to choose a better character to make yourself better. If you truly love the character stick to it. If you dont care who you use go ahead and use mk, falco, diddy, or snake. You really dont have much to do with them but you can improve. I personally suck with mk and snake im pretty decent with but I dont use either 1 if I want to win a ladder match. I use yoshi cuz hes my favorite character online.(though getting ***** by my on mistakes like side b, the footstool that ***** basically all mario characters lulz, miss DI, and regular sds) Even though yoshi is a low tier I still use him cuz hes fun to me. Being better than your opponent by a lot is boring make more even or challenging for yourself.
I don't understand what you're saying.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
So you debunked a ridiculous claim and replaced it with another ridiculous claim? Lots of low tiers are really easy to learn. Just because they get ***** doesn't mean they are harder to play, that's just a character limit, and if you are playing against a good player who mains a top tier, it doesn't matter how good you are, you will most likely lose.

Also, your example with ganon is lol worthy. Ganon has 0 options to punish anything ever lol! Ok well obviously that's a bit exaggerated, but my point is that less options = easier to learn doesn't it? With a character like ganon you can't even get that creative cause you're gonna get wrecked by a good player anyways.
I'd have to agree with DoonKoon.

Winning with a character who is limited is harder than winning with a character who isn't. A character can also be very limited, but still very good. G&W and Ganon are good examples.

I main/use Snake and Ganon. Both of these characters are limited, but Ganon is more to an extent. I find it a lot easier to win matches as Snake because of his viability compared to Ganon, who I'd have to work harder with. Since Snake has the better traits out of the two, he's easier to learn and win with.

When I fought Ally's Falcon, It was insanely easy for me to pick out the limited options Falcon had and take advantage over that, which allowed me the match. When Ally switched over to Wario, it wasn't as simple because of the amount of more "viable" options Wario had.

Where a character stands on the tier list doesn't decide his/her learning curve, but plays a huge role.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I say that just because it's harder to win with a character doesn't mean they are harder to learn. That is directly related to character potential. Characters like ganon and gaw do not have high learning curves, but they require lots of extra thought in order to do well. MK and GaW probably have similar learning curves, but obviously MK does better overall. Would you say that GaW is a harder character to learn? Personally, I'd say no, but I can see why someone would say yes.

vato_break

Smash Master
Low tier characters ARE easier to learn. Almost every low tier is severly limited..if a character is limited there is such little to learn you only need to learn the 1 or 2 options that character has. of course winning with a low tier is harder they are lower on the tier list because they suck.

PZ

Smash Lord
Ok, let's just get this straight. POSITION ON THE TIER LIST HAS NO CORRELATION WITH LEARNING CURVE.

;/
I guess so.
I don't understand what you're saying.
Yea I should know by now I fail hard at smash and should lurk more if I want to not say something stupid like what you were quoting. Ill never be good at this game because hinesville is so dead. Might as well just go back to good old boring life an work after high school and collge until Im 65 then just wait for death.<.<
EDIT:messed up multi quoting

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Depends on what you mean by "easier to learn".

Do you mean: "Harder to get to the top of the metagame of the character with"? If so, drastically varies by character, the top of Ganondorf's metagame is reletively simple to get to, whereas ICs require a rather large (relatively) commitment in order to learn how to properly control desynches, and do chaingrabs.

Do you mean: "Harder to win with"? If that's what you mean, then it's just reverse tier list order because once you get to the top of the metagame it's rather obvious that certain characters have better options, and you need to be that much better at reading your opponent to win (ICs vs. Ganondorf for example, requires near-perfect reading for Ganondorf to win at the top of the metagame).

So, depends on the question, but seeing as we already have a tier list, I think the first question is more useful, since it allows you to figure out the amount of comittment you need to be "competitive" with the character (which in the case of low tiers means, "be *****").

Variable

Smash Ace
I think Learning, and winning with are two different things. Lower tiers are probably going to be easier to pickup, but the consequences are that they're are going to be harder to win with. (Unless you're TKD, in which case, you can use fox if you want lol)

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Ok, let's just get this straight. POSITION ON THE TIER LIST HAS NO CORRELATION WITH LEARNING CURVE.

;/
Agreed.

I guess so.
You use/main Pikachu according to your little icon thing(what are these things really called?).
Pikachu has one of the highest learning curves in the game and he's fairly high. Conversely Zelda is WTF Triforce Tier now and she also has a pretty high learning curve. Tier positioning does not relate to learning curve at all.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I guess so.

Yea I should know by now I fail hard at smash and should lurk more if I want to not say something stupid like what you were quoting. Ill never be good at this game because hinesville is so dead. Might as well just go back to good old boring life an work after high school and collge until Im 65 then just wait for death.<.<
EDIT:messed up multi quoting
Dude are you alright ?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Im not gonna lie. Learning to play samus and being able to compete with the highest of players is **** hard.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
If by "learn", you mean master the character, then you're wrong.

However, if by "learn", you mean do well with the character in tourney, then you're right.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Obviously everyone is going to know their mains pretty well...

hence i think the definition of an "easy" character is how easily they can get picked up as a solid secondary.

D

Deleted member

How easy it is to learn how to play as a character and how easy it is to win with a character are two completely different things. Saying top tiers are always easier to play as is stupid. A lot of people think Diddy and Snake are very hard to play as (and iAm not talking about the noobs who think all you do is spam Diddy's banana peels and Snake's nades mindlessly), and i find MK to be one of the hardest characters in the game to play as. I like MK and tried picking him up many times, even before i knew he was top tier, but heIs just too hard, and i finally gave him up for good recently. Also i main pikachu just because i found him to be extremely easy to learn how to play as, when many other pika mains i know complain about him being so hard to learn. My point is that different people have different opinions on how hard different characters are to play as (even though for the most part people tend to agree on how hard different characters are to learn how to play as), tiers dunt mean anything when it comes to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom