• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[LoLiS] MI Circuit (Ann Arbor) MISSION COMPLETE; Total: $5030($1081)

Sliq

Smash Master
I'm going to bring my laptop and play 3rd Strike with anyone that wants to. I will bring an extra controller, but if you have your own USB controller or sticks, I suggest you bring them.

Tink

Smash Hero
yo, i have some bad news(kinda good?) jus got job and they want me to work this day =(((((((((....veryyy sad that i cannot go to this, sorrryyy wattyyyyyy!

Sliq

Smash Master
I need Kail and L-Cancel to confirm they are teaming with me for each respective event, because my teammates always fall through and make me punch orphans.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
omg sliq bring 3rd strike I think last time you said, that you had a huge *** john -_- bring 3rd strike or sf4 someone... "that one t.v. with the sf4 is where I'll be at or 3rd strike".

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Quick question: What do you guys think about possibly using AZ's formula for paying out to 5th place? He says paying out to more places has improved his tournament attendance and has proved to be a popular system. I can say that it certainly looks interesting, so maybe its worth a shot. Here is what he puts in his threads:

"Singles Payout
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Teams Payout
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%

So, why this payout scheme? Because I think its important to spread the wealth deep instead of just at the top. This tournament is more about the experience of eating wings and enjoying Smash than letting 1 or 2 people make huge bank. 6 people from singles get money, 6 people from doubles get money. You have a roughly 1/4 chance of placing in the money."

Some of the payouts from the W&B tournaments:
(24 entrants)
1: Nope (Snake): $110
2: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong): $52
3: BYAA! (Meta Knight): $32
4: Quivo (Toon Link): $18
5: Capem (Meta Knight): $9
5: Champ (Falco): $9

1: Keitaro ($110) (Falco)
2: Quivo ($51) (Toon Link)
3: AlphaZealot ($32) (Diddy Kong)
4: Z ($18) (Meta Knight)
5: Crunch ($9) (Wario)
5: Argent ($9) (Lucario)

(32 entrants)
1: Overswarm (ROB, MK) = $148
2: AlphaZealot (Diddy Kong) = $68
3: Champ (Falco) = $43
4: Infern (Snake, Ike?) = $26
5: TYR (Lucas) = $13
5: Capem (Meta Knight) = $13

Thoughts?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
FYI: the payout is basically the 70/20/10 expanded to 6 positions instead of 3. I've had a ton of positive feedback about the system and frankly the only people that can complain would be 1st/2nd (2nd if standard payout is 60/30/10 instead of 70/20/10 - both systems are fairly common in fighters). You essentially please only 4-5 people cause not many more than that will have a shot at top 3. Top 5? The number of people with a shot increased probably 3-4 times (15-20 people could feel that on a good day 4th/5th is a possible finish).

I mean, I've heard from most of the guys in MI how you don't have many tournaments/well attended tournaments, and I often hear the theory that it's because Lain/Judge/Anther are almost always top 3 and so whats the point of showing up? Now LOLis has been getting pretty good attendance and I think it could be increased with guaranteed top 5 payouts in effect. For example, the only reason I went down to Cinci this past weekend was because top 5 was paid out in singles and I knew I could break into 4th/5th. Somewhere and sometime in the last 6 months Midwest got hella hard with M2K now at tournaments and Ally before him, and then Judge/Anther/Lain. These are all proven, national players. I would be more inclined to make the 3 hour drive to one of these tournaments if it was top 5 pay outs. In the end, you just make more people happy and you make the atmosphere more competitive since more spots have competitive meaning.

Like last weekend, Infern, who has never before placed top 5 at a circuit event, got 5th and got paid. I bet he is happy about that right now. He played amazingly and he actually got something for it.

As per the 5th place payout being less than the amount for entering singles: Would you rather get 5th and get nothing...or get 5th and be able to buy mcdonalds with your winnings? I'd prefer the latter at the very least.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I think this would be cool:

1st 45%
2nd 25%
3rd 15%
4th 10%
5th 5%

So make the two players tied for 5th play out an extra set to decide who gets money. Extra hype.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Juggleguy: not a bad idea. However, the added step is something I already know a ton of TO's will forget to do and/or the 5th place people will not want to bother with. I've actually thought of doing exactly what you said except:
1st-48
2nd-22
3rd-14
4th-8
5th-6
6th-2

Now, it may be that you guys want to adjust the system using 60/30/10 as a base instead of 70/20/10. That is also a good idea and something to look into. I've thought of tweaking the payouts abit myself but I've seen it work well so many times I'm reluctant to change.

There is a lot to think about when thinking of payouts. For example, in this scheme, I wanted first to be worth more than double what 2nd was worth since that would make the match more meaningful. I also wanted 1st to be worth less than half of the total pot since I felt someone getting half was simply NOT putting the pot resources to the best use.

So, the gist is, payout top 5 (6) and make your tournaments more attended and more spots more competitive. How you do the percentages is your thing, I'm not super-advocating the payout system I use, I'm simply advocating the concept of paying top 5.

Sliq

Smash Master
I'm not sure if AZ is using a poker payout scale, but if not, use a poker payout scale.

Also, personally, I think tournaments should have trophies and fun little awards like Mario Party. Trophies can be simple **** like painted rocks or paperclip medallions, and the awards could be like most SD's, Flawless Victory (not losing one match in pools), Lowest Tier/Highest Placement, fastest match, etc.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
I like that idea... The reason my brother or my cousin won't come to tournies is because of the top 3-4 only pay out. "lain,judge,anther" BEING GREEDY AND **** XD Pandoras Box man! you gotta share it!

Sumer

Smash Ace
I really want to get down to these, but I go to MSU and can't really take the car from my brother who also attends during the weekend. lol So, JCav told me to try and get a ride with wtp. =o I didn't know you went to MSU, and if you don't sorry. XD But if you're willing to let me tag along with you, I'd be more than happy to pay gas money or w/e is needed. If not, if there are any other brawlers from Michigan State who go down to these please contact me if you're willing to offer rides so I can attend as well. Greatly appreciated. =]

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
oh yea ann arbor melee needs to step up and not get whomped on this time,personally i really hope i take out some bigger names
you definitely have it in you. if i could somehow play as well as you (by that i mean, not get so nervous i practically vomit) then i would definitely be shooting for bigger names.

Sumer

Smash Ace
It seems I'm probably gonna be going to this after all. Anyone still in need of a teammate? Looking at you Harms and Renegade. XD Or anyone else that's interested. lol I have a pretty good record in doubles so you should be good if you team with me. I main wolf but use mostly G&W in doubles. So yea, anyone who's interested feel free to comment or leave me a PM. =]

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
i like the new payout scheme. it does make the spots more competitve, to fight for being in top 5.

Top Bottom