• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Longer slide for dash pivot cancels

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
So i was messing with DPC for awhile. Pretty much tried everything out of it, from tilts to b moves. While testing, I found lot of potential setups and a sort of mini discovery.

I noticed that forward smashing on the opposite direction after the pivot gave off a much longer slide from any other move. Forward smashing in the direction you are running in gave the least amount of slide. So I added 1 and 1 together and came to the conclusion that c-sticking the opposite way would give off more distance.

How can this be useful? If you DPC down or up smash diagonally the opposite direction after the pivot, you will get a considerable amount of slide more than you would get from simply flicking your c-stick up or down. That extra slide would allow you to charge your smashes and let go as soon as your movement comes to an end. Actually, I would suggest to always charge the down smash (up smash too, hey...it's a free charge =P). If you don't, your down smash will end (the first hit) slightly before your slide ends. So you might come to 1 cm from hitting your opponent, and end up directly in from of him and defenseless.

*I'd suggest setting one of your Z or trigger buttons to grab or attack so that you can c-stick charge with ease.

** Also while testing, I've had times where I would randomly forward smash in the direction i was running in with the same crazy slide. I cannot reproduce that, If anyone finds out how...let me know.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a recording device.

Just take 5 min and try it out. It's more noticeable with the downsmash. First try to DPC a downsmash normally a few times, then do it by flicking it diagonally downwards away from the direction you are running in.

bigman40

Smash Master
Well, I"m unable to test cause my Wii is currently sent to Nintendo for repairs. I'm only able to play a few times on my friend's Wii. That's why I wanted to see a video so I can make sure I know what you're talking about. To me, it seems like you're doing a DPC into a pivot walk Dsmash. Am I right?

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
no, you do not pivot walk.

It works kind of the same way as B-sticking. For example, if you b stick lucas' pk fire backwards while running forwards you get pushed back. Same concept. If you DPC your fsmash backwards when you run forwards you get an extra "slide". You would think that would only work with side smashes, but you can also do it with up and down when tilting your c stick backup, and backdown. If you were to charge DPC downsmash the normal way, you would immediately stop moving. If you tilt it backwards, you'd be able to charge your smash and continue sliding for a bit afterwards.

Again, not a major discovery, but it definitely helps yoshi's game. Sometimes you just need that extra reach to land a hit on your opponent.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
I've figured out how to get a longer slide from the forward smash in the same direction, I'll try my best to explain in a sentence or 2.

Usually if you want to fsmash forwards after a DPC, you would have to let go of the control stick. If you want a longer slide, instead of letting go, you would need to half circle your control stick downwards and backwards and then smash. so it would be like, forward, downforward, down, downback, back, C-stick.

In theory, just holding back just before smashing should work, and it did occasionally for me, but you would need perfect timing. If you mess up the timing, yoshi would immediatley stop in place.

so yeah, the puzzle is solved, i've finally figured out how to get the most out of DPC. now to incorporate it in my game.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to watch the replays, but they seem to freeze my Wii when I select them. :/

Guess I'll have to just try it out myself or something.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I don't think this i anything. Quite possibly just a DPC to a Pivot Dsmash.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
pivot? you mean pivot walk? I think I've already stated that there is no pivot walking involved.

wtv, it's fine. Not going to bother answering any more questions, this board sucks.

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Ok elef, no pressure there, ^.^

What I think Elefterios means is, with DPC you can slide longer if you angle it bakwards, and you can see the effect better on down-smash. And so he asked for someone else to test this.

am I right elef? (love ya!)

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Ok elef, no pressure there, ^.^

What I think Elefterios means is, with DPC you can slide longer if you angle it bakwards, and you can see the effect better on down-smash. And so he asked for someone else to test this.

am I right elef? (love ya!)
exactly.

did you try it?

bigman40

Smash Master
pivot? you mean pivot walk? I think I've already stated that there is no pivot walking involved.

wtv, it's fine. Not going to bother answering any more questions, this board sucks.
Idk why you're getting all pissy and **** cause we're not understanding what you're trying to tell us. I've attempted to at least try it before I went Wii-less (I'm at home w/o a Wii so I can't do any testing anymore). I asked you to get a video cause it's the easiest way to telling people what you have done. You can just send the replay over to someone else Wii (via Wiiconnect24) and have them upload it to youtube for you. It's not that hard or that complicated. So, stop getting pissed at people for not understanding what you're trying to make out, and just do what you can to make it possible to make them understand.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Idk why you're getting all pissy and **** cause we're not understanding what you're trying to tell us. I've attempted to at least try it before I went Wii-less (I'm at home w/o a Wii so I can't do any testing anymore). I asked you to get a video cause it's the easiest way to telling people what you have done. You can just send the replay over to someone else Wii (via Wiiconnect24) and have them upload it to youtube for you. It's not that hard or that complicated. So, stop getting pissed at people for not understanding what you're trying to make out, and just do what you can to make it possible to make them understand.
I understand that you do not have a wii, and that's fine. You have a valid excuse, but what gets me is after trying to explain quite a few times, Chaco comes in here without testing and assuming that I am pivot walking even after I clearly said I wasn't. I am not pissed, but if people in here just assume things without even testing it themselves, I do not see the point in continuing to try to explain myself.

I do not have access to wifi anymore, and I've done my best to upload the video from my sd card. If it freezes when trying to be played, I'm sorry there's nothing I can do about it. Again, it's really not that complicated, anyone with a wii can try it out in 2 min.

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Sorry elef,

I didn't try it out because I got problems with my brawl...
But I'm trying to fix it soon, and testing that is on "to do" list ^_^

ps: Love ya all! Peace between yoshis!

Chaco

Never Logs In
** Also while testing, I've had times where I would randomly forward smash in the direction i was running in with the same crazy slide. I cannot reproduce that, If anyone finds out how...let me know.
That honestly sounds like DR. I can't think of anything else it would be. Because if your in mid-dash and slide with an fsmash it has to be some sort of DJC.

Depster

Smash Champion
LOLOL Chaco you pivot then do any move right after you pivot and you get a little slide with it, its not DR, but DR is better IMO

Top Bottom