• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking at Brawl Differently. Honestly, a Must Read.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
bumped? >.>.

Love this thread, probably what l needed to get out of my slump. Although this may have been repeated before but it's still a great reminder to newcomers, l think this is what seperates the average players and the amazing players (ninjalink, snakeee, adhd) because of their ability to think at such a quick pace and gather much data as much as possible.

still awesome read hope you can make more of this =[

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
you and me have suchhhh silimar thought process. i really like the end part too. dam good read sky. the last part is inspirational too . GG i also am coming closer. more names off the list.

ackya

Smash Cadet
In every fighting game you'll encounter, if you ever find yourself just doing moves that usually link together, you'll lose. This is because you're not putting thought into your opponent. When you let strings of moves supersede your judgment, you're essentially letting your opponent know that you're not playing him or her.

-Sky`
No, no. You see, in real fighting games we have these things called "combos". Ever heard of them? Probably not.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
That's what he said, he just called them "linking moves together" or "strings".

Basically, that paragraph says "If you just mindlessly spam some combos, you'll lose", and that's true, because a combo only won't help you if your enemy is able to avoid or block it. Thinking is just as important as pressing buttons.

ackya

Smash Cadet
That's what he said, he just called them "linking moves together" or "strings".

Basically, that paragraph says "If you just mindlessly spam some combos, you'll lose", and that's true, because a combo only won't help you if your enemy is able to avoid or block it. Thinking is just as important as pressing buttons.
A combo is a series of attacks that are inescapable after the first hit. My opponent can't block a correctly performed combo. Of course in Brawl is a different story, since it has no combos.

Merce

Smash Cadet
Nice bump, ackya. This thread was devoted to explaining a potentially different way to look at the game.

In essence, sky presented a paradigm that does not simplify brawl to be analogous to other combo oriented fighting games (Or perhaps other fighting games are more sophisticated than they originally seem?). He simply suggested that there is more to this game if you could view it from a more sophisticated perspective.

In short: Grow up and stop spouting thoughtless talking points you've picked lurking the melee forums.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
No, no. You see, in real fighting games we have these things called "combos". Ever heard of them? Probably not.
Yeah your point is invalid.

For example let's say we're playing MvC2. You're playing MSP and I'm playing Storm Cable Sent. You start off with mags to my storm. You push your mag forward at the beginning of the match in order to start your combo. I don't block and allow you to set up your ROM infinite or whatever the hell it is. Then we play again and this time I block your combo doesn't work this time then I wreck you with storm. I win then we play again for the tie breaker and you try them same thing this time I assist with cables anti air then play keep away with storm you lose. Since the whole time you were trying to get inside with your mags so that you can ROM infinite me. Now can you stop your trolling. It's for even game throwing out random combos will cause you to lose.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Great read.

The only problem is that people need to realize when their options simply arent good enough. Some characters (especially against MK) have absolutely NOTHING they can do to fight back when the opponent's character is at a certain level.

If I understand that you have no way of punishing my Ftilt if I slow it down to beat your reflex's OOS and space it properly, I can keep doing it. If my Shieldgrab beats all of your aerials and you can't outspace it, then I can simply shieldgrab anything you do once you jump into the air. If you play and try and airdodge just outside my shieldgrab range it doesnt matter because my Shuttle loop OOS has enough range to beat that as well. I can literally camp inside my shield and make you approach and you have no viable options unless I mess up (assuming your character is limited in this way, which a huge percentage of the cast is in one way or another).

You can use these things to improve but there's a point where sometimes you have to realize you're not losing because you're getting outplayed, you're losing because your options are just getting *****. Anyway in general that's not a problem, I just wanted to point it out.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
A combo is a series of attacks that are inescapable after the first hit. My opponent can't block a correctly performed combo. Of course in Brawl is a different story, since it has no combos.
I wasn't talking about blocking mid-chain, assuming that I did is pretty stupid.
I've seen combos being blocked and responded to in pretty much every fighting game, and performed this myself in almost each of those.

Besides that, this statement had nothing to do with my point. Which is: If you just keep on trying to randomly hit with a combo, you'll lose.

ackya

Smash Cadet
I was responding to the fact that he said that you shouldn't just do moves that usually link together without thinking. You clearly do that during a combo. Obviously you have to think to set up a combo.

Don't take my words out of context.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
you guys are right, this game way harder and a better competitive game than melee. even though everything you do in this game transfers right into melee you just have to do it faster. and your right about melee being all about 0 death combos, even though you only see 0 death combos every, idk, 30 matches. Especially since 0 death combos barely ever happen to anyone thats not fox, falco, or falcon.

If brawl is chess then melee is speed chess

anyway, nice analysis sky'
but this applies to every other figher as well

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
At least you tried...
Have people been thinking this way 'bout Brawl? I doubt most of the community has, which resulted in some quitting (plus some other reasons). And spacies and falcon make up half of the most whored characters in Melee. Ofcourse they get 0-deaths most.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
At least you tried...
Have people been thinking this way 'bout Brawl? I doubt most of the community has, which resulted in some quitting (plus some other reasons). And spacies and falcon make up half of the most whored characters in Melee. Ofcourse they get 0-deaths most.
you guys are right, this game way harder and a better competitive game than melee. even though everything you do in this game transfers right into melee you just have to do it faster. and your right about melee being all about 0 death combos, even though you only see 0 death combos every, idk, 30 matches. Especially since 0 death combos barely ever happen to anyone thats not fox, falco, or falcon.

If brawl is chess then melee is speed chess

anyway, nice analysis sky'
but this applies to every other figher as well
Haha, I seriously can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not in this post. And GunmasterLombardi, you misread. 0-death combos happen most often to Fox/Falco/Falcon, not from.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I pretty sure it was sarcasm Ankoku :p

Although I guess you can never be positive

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
:chuckle:
Haha, I seriously can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not in this post. And GunmasterLombardi, you misread. 0-death combos happen most often to Fox/Falco/Falcon, not from.
NO YOU!
That's exactly what I meant when I said "They get 0-deaths most" I didn't say it right. They recieve them, which is against the good ol' Christmas quote:

"It's good to give, than to recieve."

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ah, well in that case your logic is still a bit off. 0-deaths happen to them the most not directly because of how often they're used, but because of their weight/falling speed class making them among the easiest in the cast to combo short of, like, Bowser. 0-deaths do not happen even half as often to Marth, Peach, Jigglypuff, or Sheik.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
That too. I already knew you could combo them cause of, but since they're used more you see 0-deaths more often (not only) on them than any of the other abused characters. Especially Jiggs, she is stupid light so w/ good DI not even Fox's uthrow > uair will work.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You don't even need good DI to deal with Fox's uthrow uair as Jiggs. Past a certain % you can double jump before Fox can reach you, even if you didn't DI the uthrow at all.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
People need to read this and accept that you didn't know everything, rather than just walking into this arrogantly.
I assume a Melee player came in and read this, then decided to keep fighting a war that's already over. Scrub.
@Ankoku: I already knew that, to some extent the % physics are very similar in Brawl. What I don't understand is the point that either of us are trying to make.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I assume a Melee player came in and read this, then decided to keep fighting a war that's already over. Scrub.
@Ankoku: I already knew that, to some extent the % physics are very similar in Brawl. What I don't understand is the point that either of us are trying to make.
Um, who the **** are you talking to? Cuz I could've swore you were the person that called mango a scrub. lol

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You apparently already know a lot of things that you forget to mention.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
OP i always face each match and each opponent differently. I've always thought of spacing and using my hitboxes[disjoint, projectile etc] as a means to close opponents options. Even if i have a hitbox in dead space, it limits where my opponent can go and what he can do.

You def. got the right type of thinking in mind OP. Keep on trucking with that mind set. Sometimes you can find a gold mind of knowledge in some of the most obvious and most basic moves.

Top Bottom