• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for a good tri-wing screwdriver

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I've decided to open up all my GC controllers and clean them up as much as possible so that they stay in the best shape and the buttons feel better. I read the reviews for the triwing screwdriver on the smashboards amazon inventory page and apparently it's really bad quality and falls apart fast. I tried looking for other screwdrivers but looks like I could only find another one that has bad reviews too. Are these screwdrivers actually that bad? If they are, can anyone recommend me one that I can buy online? None of the local hardware stores near me have one small enough for the screws on the gamecube controller.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I bought a pair a few years ago that still work. Since we are both in Storrs, I can let you borrow them once I go home and grab them. If not they're the exact same pair thats currently on the amazon site, I've never had problems with them.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
I have a pair off amazon, it came in a 2 pack. The first one broke in like 20seconds. The second one has lasted almost a year. For the price, definitely worth it, just get a few pairs.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I just use a flathead.

Protip: when you finally do get your controller open, replacing the triwing screws with normal phillips head is a great way to avoid this problem. I took the screws from an old wired Xbox 360 controller and put them in my GCN controller so now if I have to unscrew it, it's easy to find a screwdriver to do it with (also, it's just actually easier to unscrew when there's 4 prongs being used instead of 2 or 3).

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
I found some chinese seller a while ago that sold ones for a buck apiece free shipping which have been known to strip like instantly. I bought 5, sold 3, and still have 2 of em that work perfectly (and Ive opened A LOT of controllers)

But then I bought ten from a dif seller (I can't find the other one..) and they all strip in like 20 sec lol

You just gotta get lucky...

Or just buy a $5 to stay safe.

Top Bottom